Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What's wrong with a Ciri spinoff?

Edit: I'd like something about the early days of the witchers, but I wouldn't mind a Ciri game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Ciri witcher adventures would work, but add me to the list that wants a story pre-geralt during the times where there were witcher schools around. Hell, you could even throw Ciri there via weird time magic

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think aliens can be fine in cyberpunk, and even elves and poo poo could too. But it would have to be interesting. Shadowrun is just cyberpunk with d&d style racial determinism layered on top of it in a way that I think obscures what's cool and interesting about the source material it's based on. Massive transnational corporations are *more* interesting than dragons. Class, race, and power are *more* interesting when you aren't limited to talking about loving orcs and poo poo.

For a saturday morning cartoon it works fine, but I think it's limited to that alone, whereas something like 2020 I think has the possibility for breadth and depth.

You're allowed to like both tho

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

another game about witchers would be lame, let me be a sorceress and just call it The Witch

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Id play a Ciri game if it would let her kill Philippa

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

itry posted:

What's wrong with a Ciri spinoff?

Edit: I'd like something about the early days of the witchers, but I wouldn't mind a Ciri game.

I didn't especially enjoy her powerset during the segments where we play as her, and while she was fine as a character it would be kind of boring to play another game with a pre-set main character who happens to know and be friends with all the same people as Geralt. I guess I feel like Witcher 3 was an excellent closing chapter to Geralt's story, and really Ciri's as well. If you're going to dip back into that incredibly interesting and well-realized world, I'd much prefer turning the clock back a century or two and exploring a whole new story and cast.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I thought Witcher 4 was going to be Ciri after the Good Ending but :shrug:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Reclaimer posted:

You're allowed to like both tho

Never said otherwise, I even said that I think in Dragonfall the setting is used extremely well. Playing that game made me feel a lot more positively about the setting, but I still think it's less interesting than the sum of its parts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fellatio del Toro posted:

another game about witchers would be lame, let me be a sorceress and just call it The Witch

A project based off the Robert Eggers film where you spend the entire game tormenting Puritans.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ShakeZula posted:

I didn't especially enjoy her powerset during the segments where we play as her, and while she was fine as a character it would be kind of boring to play another game with a pre-set main character who happens to know and be friends with all the same people as Geralt. I guess I feel like Witcher 3 was an excellent closing chapter to Geralt's story, and really Ciri's as well. If you're going to dip back into that incredibly interesting and well-realized world, I'd much prefer turning the clock back a century or two and exploring a whole new story and cast.

Ciri is good enough to carry a game on her own, and I'd rather play as her than a blank slate non-character. And with a whole multiverse to travel through she probably knows a few other people.

It would be pretty interesting to see the Conjunction era, but it just occurred to me that it isn't mutually exclusive to a Ciri led game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

I'd happily play a Ciri based game. Or a game where it's Design-Your-Own-Witcher. Both sound fine to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe it’s because I only played on Death March, but the Ciri sections of the game sucked because everything kills you in one hit and you don’t actually have I-frames on your teleport attack so in some of the fights you will literally just instantly die if you try to use her powers and you have to kind of hack and slash.

Dream Witcher 4 is a prequel and you play as one of the Witcher’s that trains Geralt.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

George RR Fartin posted:

They gave the author of The Witcher more money at one point despite the contract being for relative pennies, didn't they?
Just FYI that's because Polish law is different than in the US and there's something called "the bestseller clause" which allows an artist to demand that a company that created a product based on his/her work increase his/her compensation proportionately to the product's success even after the deal is already done. A judge decides what that compensation in particular cases should be. CDPR simply settled with Sapkowski before an official suit was filed.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

Id play a Ciri game if it would let her kill Philippa

drat, your posts in this thread are bad, but this one takes the cake. Filippa is a cool character.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
She is a cruel woman and helped create insane King Radovid. So I would say Phillip deserves most if not all of the crap coming her way, on top of everything she did do Ziggy wrong.

Of course, I knived Ziggy in the back and so Rosh could have a Nilfgardian Temaria, sooooo, I can't blame her that much for it.

Edit: I am pro Create a Witcher cause Ciri's story feels like it reached an end, she proved the prophecy correct, and she in the good ending became a witcher like her Real Dad and went off to have the life she always wanted, without being hunted or worrying about carrying a dynasty.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

A project based off the Robert Eggers film where you spend the entire game tormenting Puritans.
And NPCs that chop wood all day and night in a loop would actually be consistent with the lore.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Personally, it does not matter to me who the main character is in Witcher 4, as I will not be purchasing it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Personally, it does not matter to me who the main character is in Witcher 4, as I will not be purchasing it.

I don't watch television. I don't even own a television. Notice I didn't say "TV." "TV" is a nickname, and nicknames are for friends and television is no friend of mine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I thought Witcher 4 was going to be Ciri after the Good Ending but :shrug:

Finally some competition for paradox’s grand strategy games!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It could be neat to have a game where you have to balance teleporting around the world fighting monsters with your duties as empress

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Shadowrun talk:

The Int/Cha caps are explicitly not because they aren't as smart or socially adept as other races. Int is specifically because they can not be as well educated, they are systematically denied education and that hurts them as a whole. The Cha penalty is explicitly because other people are racist and will not take a Troll/Ork as seriously as they would other people. The racial limits can even change dependent on setting - I know Anarchy Germany has Black Forest trolls who have created their own society away from humans and do not suffer the int cap reduction (and move up a step in priority for their weird character creation system). This may or may not be post-hoc justification, because I didn't play first edition way the heck back in the day.

Shadowrun is 100% designed, at least in the modern system, to be viewed through both race and class - demi-human hate groups exist, gangs are usually run along racial lines (orks/trolls/humans not ethnicity), Elves/Dwarves have "model minority" problems, changelings have it even worse (goblinization 2.0, even more mutated than the traditional fantasy races and are meant in many ways to represent mixed ethnicity). It's deeper than it seems, but mostly because a lot of that stuff is buried in the additional rulebooks/settings that no one ever really buys or reads unless they get deep into the game - Shadowrun is perfectly happy to just be a fantasy/cyberpunk mashup with its themes hidden in subtext so they can be easily ignored.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't watch television. I don't even own a television. Notice I didn't say "TV." "TV" is a nickname, and nicknames are for friends and television is no friend of mine.

If the last TV I bought didn't work and didn't have any of the features they put on the box, I probably wouldn't buy a new TV by that same manufacturer, no.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ShakeZula posted:

I would probably end up playing it (if only out of residual love for Witcher 3), but that is definitely the least-enticing direction they could take the franchise to me.

It might just be that the Ciri sections in Witcher 3 weren't that fun which is making us feel this way.

But she also just doesn't have a ton of depth of character in my opinion.

I'd rather see either a create your own witcher or a brand new, young witcher character that will feel fresh and make more sense when you start with the small stuff because you are still learning.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also feel like playing a Ciri game would be weird because she has all this insane magical power, like the ability to dimension-hop at will, etc, and playing a video game as a character who has the powers of a multi-dimensional witch god probably wouldn’t be fun if you end up getting all your powers Nintendo’d at the start of the game and you spend the whole game in Not-Poland again

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

Vince MechMahon posted:

If the last TV I bought didn't work and didn't have any of the features they put on the box, I probably wouldn't buy a new TV by that same manufacturer, no.

They're basically saying you're the David Cross hipster character in this sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fA9sJ3LBwg

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hobbesmaster posted:

Finally some competition for paradox’s grand strategy games!

u monster :stare:

Bust Rodd posted:

I also feel like playing a Ciri game would be weird because she has all this insane magical power, like the ability to dimension-hop at will, etc, and playing a video game as a character who has the powers of a multi-dimensional witch god probably wouldn’t be fun if you end up getting all your powers Nintendo’d at the start of the game and you spend the whole game in Not-Poland again

I see you also missed Control.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I see you also missed Control.

(Currently free on the EGS)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(Currently free on the EGS)

Yeah seriously pick this game up.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, pick Control up if you haven't already and don't mind EGS. It's good.

:haw:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The northern realms would make the HRE look like a downright coherent empire!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is there an actual official canon ending for W3?

Edit: Obviously the bad ending isn't it

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Bust Rodd posted:

She could get stuck in Night City instead. Maybe even as an engram on a Relic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They're basically saying you're the David Cross hipster character in this sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fA9sJ3LBwg

Yeah I got it. Except that the joke there is that Cross is wrong and dumb and what he's saying has nothing to do with the normal interaction. Let's see if CDPR even exists in a year before talking about what we want a potential Witcher 3 to be. And talking it in the thread the is a monument to their last failure is pretty funny because how could anyone be excited for the next thing from the makers of Cyberpunk 2077? Are you all really hype for the next thing the Hunt Down The Freeman guys are making, too? Enough to be speculating about the main character there?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah I got it. Except that the joke there is that Cross is wrong and dumb and what he's saying has nothing to do with the normal interaction. Let's see if CDPR even exists in a year before talking about what we want a potential Witcher 3 to be. And talking it in the thread the is a monument to their last failure is pretty funny because how could anyone be excited for the next thing from the makers of Cyberpunk 2077? Are you all really hype for the next thing the Hunt Down The Freeman guys are making, too? Enough to be speculating about the main character there?

you get two disastrous fuckups before people start to turn on you permanently imo, this is called "The BioWare Principle"

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

you get two disastrous fuckups before people start to turn on you permanently imo, this is called "The BioWare Principle"

I don't even own a Mass Effect 3

itry
Aug 23, 2019

We're just talking. Talking about an hypothetical game that could exist, and could hypothetically be good. Or bad. Or not exist. What does hype got to do with any of it.

Pattonesque posted:

"The BioWare Principle"

lol

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

how could anyone be excited for the next thing from the makers of Cyberpunk 2077?

I am dying for some Cyberpunk story DLC/expansion/whatever stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

And cyberpunk 2077 is closer to DAI than MEA or Anthem.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
BioWare fucks up the ME3 ending and people go "oh well that sucked but maybe Mass Effect Andromeda will be good"

Andromeda ends up selling v. well initially until people realize what it is

These people don't come around to Anthem in numbers large enough to keep it afloat

this does not necessarily apply to Dragon Age 4 because Inquisition was not a fuckup and DA2, while a fuckup, was not a massive fuckup

aspects of Cyberpunk 2077 were massive fuckups -- none of the games I listed above got pulled from the Playstation Store lol -- but you could recapture a lot of these folks with a good DLC effort. And even then, a significant portion of people will be like "well 2077 had some major issues but no way do they carry over to 2078!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

With a witcher sequel - why not both?

The decline of monsters has been reversed after the dimensional mess at the end of TW3. New witchers are needed, forgoing mutations for gadgets and dirty tricks - the SCHOOL OF THE SWALLOW :krad:

*white hair anime lady plays a guitar riff, Dandelion trips over, Roche complains about how much you costed the department*

(I mean it would be shameless pandering that goes against the whole spirit of the books and games...)