Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Dyz posted:

Dont you have to basically plot your jumps perfectly to get the systems visited score to max and start farming 4+ skull missions with headchoppers at day 800ish to get the cbill score to max?

Well when I did it, it went something like this:
Days 0-300: Farm reputation (max for CC, FWL, FS and LC, flashpoints help alot) and get a lance that can do 4-5 skull drops. Also, grab the BSK, so the downgraded BSK starts showing up in drops.
Days 300-1000: Farm every 3.5-5 skull world. Tank DC, TC and pirate rep in the process. Max MOC rep if not done already
Days 1000-1200: Align with Davion and tank CC rep, finish 800 mil Cbil requirement, finish planets

I waited to the end to finish the systems score mainly because I didn't know how many I'd need to travel to to get the 800mil score. Tanking DC rep in vanilla is also a pain since they show up on so few worlds and there aren't many flashpoints against the DC. Chassis completion, pilot XP, contracts, etc finish naturally. The most critical stage is the very beginning, making sure you waste no time getting up to 5 skull drops and max CC/FWL/LC/FS rep so you can start farming the high value worlds that are mostly in the FWL and CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My Battletech Hot Takes is something like this:

1) Get the vanilla game and all the DLC
2) Play the campaign once, 100% unmodded
3) Play career mode once, either vanilla or lightly modded (and ignore the countdown because you get to keep playing after it "expires" like nothing happened.)

Once you've done that, if you still like vanilla just keep playing vanilla. If you're bored of vanilla look at BEX or BTA.

Don't look at the mega mods as innately better/more definitive versions of the game. They mostly just add more stuff and more punishing late game enemies. As well as more bugs and more performance problems.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 8, 2021

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Dyz posted:

Dont you have to basically plot your jumps perfectly to get the systems visited score to max and start farming 4+ skull missions with headchoppers at day 800ish to get the cbill score to max?

No. You need a reasonably efficient route, but even with the lowest cash and salvage payout difficulty settings there's a lot of leeway as long as you only need three parts per mech: it's probably possible to get that number well over 1200 million with credit-maximizing play (which is more about side-stripping than head-shotting and involves a lot of attention to both travel times and reputation). You do want to have a plan for how you're going to handle reputation, like Organ Fiend's, but there's room to be sloppy there, as well. I've read about people pulling it off even though they trashed their Liao rep from the start (and a full half of the twenty most efficient systems belong to the Capellans) or had to spend a month or two at the end doing very inefficient stuff to get to -100 with a fourth faction.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
1 - Back the Kickstarter for the game I bought books for (and never played) on tabletop
2 - Install and OCD-play post-release, pre-DLC
3 - Burn out in post-story, pre-DLC drops
4 - Buy DLCs for "whenever"
5 - Years go by - go through various other games
6 - Start burning out on latest OCD games (Division 2/Red Dead Online)
7 - watch Tex videos, decide it's robbit time again
8 - ignore other advice/opinions and download RogueTech because of hilarious fire effects/mechanics
9 - curse a lot trying to get it running
10 - get it running, curse more because my faded pre-DLC/patches memory of how to play does not correlate with the new RT reality
11 - start a second RT career, play more cautiously and actually reading about how RT works and changed from vanilla
12 - burn out on Div2 right at the end of the rerun seasons
13 - now: be right on the edge of RDO burnout
14 - spend time throwing 50 tubes of LRM (and one Arrow IV) FASCAM all along the convoy approach paths and giggle at all the self-inflicted damage
15 - my sleep patterns have been hosed for years, ONE MORE MISSION!

Right around 9-11, there's thinking over maybe trying another vanilla run instead, or a different modpack. Post-11, and increasing over time, FIRE! FIRE! FIRE IS COOL, HEH, HEH-HEH! :supaburn:

"What do we know about this battle?"

"Still trying to ID the losers, but they've been stripped down to the bare metal - at lease, what isn't melted. Speaking of which, the entire area has been glassed, but there's no radiation. There's uncountable mines buried in the slag, about half are Inferno so that explains the thermal damage."

"Anything else?"

"Uhm, yeah... lots of empty alcohol containers and food packaging down on the waterfront, plus abandoned clothing. The winners appear to have..."

"Well?"

"Ehr, it looks like they... went *swimming*."

<insert migraine salute here>

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Ygolonac posted:

1 - Back the Kickstarter for the game I bought books for (and never played) on tabletop
2 - Install and OCD-play post-release, pre-DLC
3 - Burn out in post-story, pre-DLC drops
4 - Buy DLCs for "whenever"
5 - Years go by - go through various other games
6 - Start burning out on latest OCD games (Division 2/Red Dead Online)
7 - watch Tex videos, decide it's robbit time again
8 - ignore other advice/opinions and download RogueTech because of hilarious fire effects/mechanics
9 - curse a lot trying to get it running
10 - get it running, curse more because my faded pre-DLC/patches memory of how to play does not correlate with the new RT reality
11 - start a second RT career, play more cautiously and actually reading about how RT works and changed from vanilla
12 - burn out on Div2 right at the end of the rerun seasons
13 - now: be right on the edge of RDO burnout
14 - spend time throwing 50 tubes of LRM (and one Arrow IV) FASCAM all along the convoy approach paths and giggle at all the self-inflicted damage
15 - my sleep patterns have been hosed for years, ONE MORE MISSION!

Right around 9-11, there's thinking over maybe trying another vanilla run instead, or a different modpack. Post-11, and increasing over time, FIRE! FIRE! FIRE IS COOL, HEH, HEH-HEH! :supaburn:

"What do we know about this battle?"

"Still trying to ID the losers, but they've been stripped down to the bare metal - at lease, what isn't melted. Speaking of which, the entire area has been glassed, but there's no radiation. There's uncountable mines buried in the slag, about half are Inferno so that explains the thermal damage."

"Anything else?"

"Uhm, yeah... lots of empty alcohol containers and food packaging down on the waterfront, plus abandoned clothing. The winners appear to have..."

"Well?"

"Ehr, it looks like they... went *swimming*."

<insert migraine salute here>

Are you OK?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Organ Fiend posted:

Sorry, wasn't meant to be harsh.

It was more of a "this is when you've broken the game over your knee and have nothing left to extract from it" than a "if you wanna play a mega mod, then you need to GIT GUD you n00b!"
Yeah, sorry, in retrospect "harsh" wasn't quite what I meant, so sorry if it came off wrong. Just that, as you say, you don't need total system mastery before you can enjoy BEX, at least* :)

(* can't speak to RT or BTA, though!)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

TescoBag posted:

Are you OK?

Clearly not rougetech has fried what mind he has

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

TescoBag posted:

Are you OK?

This is why you let your Techs handle neurohelmet repairs. Every periphery hick with an "ancestral" Cicada thinks they can just duct tape the drat thing, only to end up frying their brains.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

What smaller mods do people like to use?

Mine are:

SLDF Incoming
BT Performance Fix (I always have to disable the mechlab "fix" part because it bugs out for me :iiam: )
Skip Travel Cutscenes
Skip Intro
QuickCam
PPC Heat Fix
PanicSystem
Little Things (I turn off adjusted mech part cost since it seems to jack it up way too high?)
Randomer Starting Mechs (light & medium only)
Give Them Kell & Give Me Death
Don't Shoot the Dead
Cfixes
Career Select Pilots (to start career mode with Glitch & co.)
BTML Color LOS mod
Whatever Hangar of Stompyness mechs I want around

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Zephro posted:

Yeah, sorry, in retrospect "harsh" wasn't quite what I meant, so sorry if it came off wrong. Just that, as you say, you don't need total system mastery before you can enjoy BEX, at least* :)

(* can't speak to RT or BTA, though!)

So, my experience so far with BEX, going in after not playing the game in 18 months and forgetting basically everything about it is that it's tougher than vanilla, but not terribly so. I think it's a good start for anyone wanting to get into it really.

I even forgot that precision strike gives you a bonus to hit chance (rather than just a called shot when you want it) so thought it was sort of useless for a while.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
If I'm playing BEX and want to add some mechs from hangar of stompyness or that just exist in the CAB but not BEX, how difficult would it be?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Are there any complete overhaul mods like RogueTech except *without* the lovely tabletop rules where 95% of your attacks miss?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You can adjust the baseline hit chance in any of the mods if you can open notepad. They're all generally a little bit harder to hit things than vanilla but it's trivial to change.

The file you want is CombatGameConstants, and it has a "ToHit" section that controls all the hit modifiers. If you just want the easiest chance then you can adjust the "ToHitBaseFloor": 0.8, line and bump it up to .85 or something.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 8, 2021

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

And Tyler Too! posted:

Are there any complete overhaul mods like RogueTech except *without* the lovely tabletop rules where 95% of your attacks miss?
The only complete overhaul mods are RogueTech, BattleTech Advanced, and Battletech Extended. And yeah, you can fiddle with most of the mechanics with nothing more than Notepad.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i tried BTA and Roguetech when i got tired of vanilla career, but i found them both overwhelming cause of the tabletop style rules and such

BEX is basically just career mode with some extra stuff though so youre fairly safe to hop into that once you think you get the gist of career mode

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Should have checked that I was actually quoting the post I was trying to reply to.

sean10mm posted:

My Battletech Hot Takes is something like this:

1) Get the vanilla game and all the DLC
2) Play the campaign once, 100% unmodded
3) Play career mode once, either vanilla or lightly modded (and ignore the countdown because you get to keep playing after it "expires" like nothing happened.)

Once you've done that, if you still like vanilla just keep playing vanilla. If you're bored of vanilla look at BEX or BTA.

Don't look at the mega mods as innately better/more definitive versions of the game. They mostly just add more stuff and more punishing late game enemies. As well as more bugs and more performance problems.

I think my reply was a bit more relevant the original (unedited) post above, but <shrug> electrons wash away like tears in the rain, and all that.

The fluff at the bottom was thrown in on-the-fly, because some poor local .gov/.mil schlubs might get tasked with finding out WTF just happened.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

TescoBag posted:

So, my experience so far with BEX, going in after not playing the game in 18 months and forgetting basically everything about it is that it's tougher than vanilla, but not terribly so. I think it's a good start for anyone wanting to get into it really.

I even forgot that precision strike gives you a bonus to hit chance (rather than just a called shot when you want it) so thought it was sort of useless for a while.

Precision strike and tactics 9 are the key to consistently running 5 skull drops without taking internal damage. Tactics 9 gives you 75% to hit CT from the front, >80% to hit rear CT, and >>80% to hit any section (but CT or head) from the side. In vanilla, it gives you an 18% chance to hit head from any angle and 33% to hit head in a Marauder, which makes building reliable (>60% chance) head-kill builds trivial.

The keys for enabling this are maxed morale and comms systems in ever single one of your mechs. You'll get at least one precision strike per turn (which translates into at least one kill per turn, if you have the right mechs).

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sean10mm posted:

What smaller mods do people like to use?

Here's my current load list:

"AIToolkit", - You likely don't need this, diagnostic AI tools written by the guy who made the original ModTek program
"BattletechPerformanceFix", - Everyone needs this, speeds up loading times and makes the game run better
"BetterHeadlights", - Visual improvements and customizable headlight settings
"BTDebug", - You might not need this, easier access to debugging tools
"cFixes", - Fixes stock typos - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Colorful Combatants", - Makes Pirates and Hostile Marc units have a more colorful camo pallet - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"CrystalClear", - Removes grain and haze, in my opinion everyone needs this
"CT Ammo Mover", - Moves stock designs CT ammo to sides and arms to prevent easy CT cores - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Flashpoint Spawn Adjustments", Makes lower difficulty FPs more likely to spawn first, great for career mode - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Flashpoint_Stock_Photos", Needed for my FP below. - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Flashpoint_The_Raid", My Flashpoint, the first user made FP built to be a bit of a brutal slog you should be able to complete on the first try. Difficulty is not quite as high post HM weaponry and Marauders. - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Friendly fire", - Enables Friendly Fire
"Little Ballistics tweeX", - Small personal mod to AC visuals, makes more of a stream of bullets - Disclaimer - I haven't bothered to release this one, but let me know if you want a copy.
"MechResizer", - I scale 'Mechs down a bit to TT/Novel size instead of the MWO/HBS scale (To be honest HBS made the right choice for gameplay/UI. I lose LCTs and small units in the trees sometimes, but their scale next to buildings is too large and my grog sense must fix it)
"ModTek", - Self explanatory, the mod loading program needed to load all other mods
"QuickCam", - Cut down even further the camera delays. - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"ScorchedEarth", - Keeps footprints and scorch marks on the board longer, customizable settings.
"TurretlessVehicleHits", - Removes the bug where a vehicle without a turret gets hit there and the damage goes into a black hole.
"Better AI" - Makes the AI Better, enables reserve and tries to assign better roles to the AI units - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one and I think it's one of the longest running mods in the game as I started this in beta. Might even be the longest running, but I don't know for sure.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Amechwarrior posted:

Here's my current load list:

"AIToolkit", - You likely don't need this, diagnostic AI tools written by the guy who made the original ModTek program
"BattletechPerformanceFix", - Everyone needs this, speeds up loading times and makes the game run better
"BetterHeadlights", - Visual improvements and customizable headlight settings
"BTDebug", - You might not need this, easier access to debugging tools
"cFixes", - Fixes stock typos - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Colorful Combatants", - Makes Pirates and Hostile Marc units have a more colorful camo pallet - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"CrystalClear", - Removes grain and haze, in my opinion everyone needs this
"CT Ammo Mover", - Moves stock designs CT ammo to sides and arms to prevent easy CT cores - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Flashpoint Spawn Adjustments", Makes lower difficulty FPs more likely to spawn first, great for career mode - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Flashpoint_Stock_Photos", Needed for my FP below. - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Flashpoint_The_Raid", My Flashpoint, the first user made FP built to be a bit of a brutal slog you should be able to complete on the first try. Difficulty is not quite as high post HM weaponry and Marauders. - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"Friendly fire", - Enables Friendly Fire
"Little Ballistics tweeX", - Small personal mod to AC visuals, makes more of a stream of bullets - Disclaimer - I haven't bothered to release this one, but let me know if you want a copy.
"MechResizer", - I scale 'Mechs down a bit to TT/Novel size instead of the MWO/HBS scale (To be honest HBS made the right choice for gameplay/UI. I lose LCTs and small units in the trees sometimes, but their scale next to buildings is too large and my grog sense must fix it)
"ModTek", - Self explanatory, the mod loading program needed to load all other mods
"QuickCam", - Cut down even further the camera delays. - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one
"ScorchedEarth", - Keeps footprints and scorch marks on the board longer, customizable settings.
"TurretlessVehicleHits", - Removes the bug where a vehicle without a turret gets hit there and the damage goes into a black hole.
"Better AI" - Makes the AI Better, enables reserve and tries to assign better roles to the AI units - Disclaimer - I run/manage this one and I think it's one of the longest running mods in the game as I started this in beta. Might even be the longest running, but I don't know for sure.

Crap, I forgot about some of these, need to go back and re-add them. :haw:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Organ Fiend posted:

To do this first create the following directory: my games\BattleTech\mods\my_mod_name

Where do I create or find this \my games\ folder?
Sorry, I tried looking in the \users\ directory, documents, the battle tech directory in steam, etc.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jack B Nimble posted:

Where do I create or find this \my games\ folder?
Sorry, I tried looking in the \users\ directory, documents, the battle tech directory in steam, etc.

On my computer, which is an old Windows 7 box, its C:\Users\myusername\Documents\my games. So it should be in whatever the equivalent of the Documents or MyDocuments folder is in other versions of windows.

If you're not doing windows, then go with the directory within the Battletech directory

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I have no idea if anybody has any interest in this, but I'm posting it anyway. :colbert:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iWrQEy5ghxkW4Iq-zFAc9wCZwClCrVEK/view?usp=sharing

Betterthanvanilla 1.2 by sean10mm

By trial and error I've basically put together what I consider my ultimate "better than vanilla" mod pack that's lightweight, and as near as I can tell, bug free.

Requirements: Battletech 1.9.1 and all DLC. Tested with Modtek 0.7.7, it MAY work with the HBS mod loader but I wouldn't bet on it.

https://github.com/BattletechModders/ModTek/releases/tag/v0.7.7.7

Mods are NOT mine except where specified with "*" and those are only minor tweaks. You should be able to just delete the folders for any mods you don't want to run as long before starting a new game unless there is a note below about a dependency.

New to 1.2 are marked with ">", names are the ones listed in the readme/mod.json/nexus page.

>RealHitChance by casualmods - Shows the actual hit chance instead of the rounded/fudged value displayed by default.
>Flashpoint Spawn Adjustments by Amechwarrior - Changes weights to let low difficulty Flashpoints to appear first.
>CrystalClear by gnivler - Provides control over post-processing effects not available through the game interface. It's totally configurable and can get rid of the super grainy effect, among others. FPS gains have been reported.
>Scorched Earth by gnivler - Greatly improves the way scorch mark and footstep decals perform. Now with save/load persistence.
>TurretlessVehicleHit by dogfisc - Fix for the bug of hits on vehicles being lost when they hit the turret location of a vehicle without a turret. With this mod, the hit is moved to the facing side/front/rear.
Battletech Performance Fix by m22spencer - Does what it says, except I disabled the mechlab "fix" which is always buggy for me for some reason
Panic System by gnivler (there are tons of forks of different people's versions of this, the fork hosted by gnivler has been bug free for me so I stick with it) - Pilots of mechs that are super hosed up (yours OR the enemy) have a chance of panicking and ejecting instead of just limping at you one leg firing a single machine gun until they explode. It's a low key huge improvement over vanilla behavior.
Hangar of Stompyness by Colobos/Crackfox- New mechs with high quality models, I only used the IS mechs from 3050 and earlier. I also removed the Lance Command Mod from the Marauder II since it was beyond overpowered in a 100 ton lostech juggernaut lol
SLDF Incoming by klyith - Adds SLDF mechs and truly elite pilots to enemy forces, including 2 new SLDF variants. Minor gameplay spoiler: You can't headshot them to cheaply farm SLDF mechs
*Market Mod - I actually made this, it adds the SLDF Incoming and selected Hangar of Stompyness mechs and parts to the black market. Dependent on those mods to work properly.
*PPC Heat Fix - Lower heat values for PPC and ER PPC (all variants) to make them usable.
*Skip intros & enable debug console with shift/ctrl/-
Skip Travel Cutscenes by mpstark
cFixes by Team Banzai - Lots of small fixes
Little Things by Mad - More assorted little tweaks.
Color LOS mod by janxious & Redferne
Flashpoint: The Raid by amechwarrior - It's a flashpoint!
Give Me Death & Give Them Kell by Justin Kase - Fixes to the gray death legion & kell hound flashpoints so the legendary mechwarriors actually have elite stats & the correct mechs
Don't Shoot the Dead by Mad - Don't fire support weapons if the melee attack is a kill.
Flashpoint Stock Photos by amechwarrior - I think this is required by Flashpoint: The Raid
Career Select Pilots by dogfisc - So I can start career mode with the starting "ronin" from campaign mode
Randomer Starting Mechs by HandyVac - Bigger pool of starting mechs, but still restricted to light/medium for balance
QuickCam by amechwarrior - Camera improvements to remove apparent "lag"

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I saw some discussion of MW5 a few page back. I've recently bought it and started playing, and so far I'm having fun. Spawns are pretty weird, but the same can be said about BT. Your lancemates aren't terrible too, at least compared to most games with AI teammates I can recall.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

I have no idea if anybody has any interest in this, but I'm posting it anyway. :colbert:

I installed this and it started ok. Loaded a campaign save at the very first miners mission. It played through fine and I noticed a few of the mods but the map wouldn't finish. I get back to the miners where they turn on you, the waypoint disappears along with the objective and nothing happens.
Should it work with campaign or does it have to be a career game?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ratzap posted:

I installed this and it started ok. Loaded a campaign save at the very first miners mission. It played through fine and I noticed a few of the mods but the map wouldn't finish. I get back to the miners where they turn on you, the waypoint disappears along with the objective and nothing happens.
Should it work with campaign or does it have to be a career game?

It should work in campaign mode, I can't promise it works on old saves though.

It doesn't really touch anything involving mission scripting or whatever outside a couple flashpoints so it just shouldn't care.

Which version of Modtek are you using and is it a clean install of BT or are there other mods and stuff?

E: I played 1.1 a lot more than 1.2 so you can try 1.1 and see if that works and maybe one of the new mods broke something.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 10, 2021

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

alex314 posted:

I saw some discussion of MW5 a few page back. I've recently bought it and started playing, and so far I'm having fun. Spawns are pretty weird, but the same can be said about BT. Your lancemates aren't terrible too, at least compared to most games with AI teammates I can recall.

I'll take this to the MW:5 thread, but how does the game feel? My last Mech-sim that I really enjoyed was mechwarrior 3, which really captured the ponderous stompyness of the mechs even with the lighter ones. However, if it's strongly multiplayer focused I may still give it a pass since I'm pretty picky about my multiplayer gametime.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

El Spamo posted:

I'll take this to the MW:5 thread, but how does the game feel? My last Mech-sim that I really enjoyed was mechwarrior 3, which really captured the ponderous stompyness of the mechs even with the lighter ones. However, if it's strongly multiplayer focused I may still give it a pass since I'm pretty picky about my multiplayer gametime.

It was heinously bad at launch, but just got a big update that brought it to "okay, I guess?".

The controls are a little too floaty for me, especially when using a joystick. The lancemate AI is very bad. Like, MW4 did it better.

All in all, it's okay. I'd never pay full price for it, though, and I'm still angry I stuck with my pre-order.

It's not multiplayer focused at all.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Much like MWO, it's very nearly a good game. The procgen missions are even more samey than this game, the AI is tragically braindead. The lancemate AI is genuinely less impressive than MW4. On the plus side, enemy spawns aren't as aggressively bullshit as they were at launch.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

All these lancemate comparisons are damning because I played MW4 mercs recently and the friendly AI in that game is utterly hosed.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Cool thanks, looks like I'll put it on my watchlist and see how I feel if/when it comes up on a sale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

El Spamo posted:

Cool thanks, looks like I'll put it on my watchlist and see how I feel if/when it comes up on a sale.

It's on pc game pass if you have it too

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

All these lancemate comparisons are damning because I played MW4 mercs recently and the friendly AI in that game is utterly hosed.

Where? How?

Asking for a friend .

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dyz posted:

Where? How?

Asking for a friend .

I have an old install of the Mektek release I kept around, sorry dude.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is HBS working on anything now? The credits after beating the campaign were lots of photographs of the studio I think and it made me curious, since I loved their Shadowrun games and of course Battletech.

I don't know much about Earthdawn but that would be the other big FASA setting, right? Though no where near the level of popularity of Shadowrun or Battletech, of course.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah the MW5 AI is pretty terrible. Friendlies will regularly shoot you and each other in the back and enemy AI is baffling.

The real problem is the procgen missions are just so samey and bland and the vast majority of enemies you'll face are suicidal light vehicles and annoying pop up AC2 turrets.

Like if your idea of fun is spending a huge chunk of the game PPCing Scorpion Light Tanks and the occasional Urbanmech it's okay I guess?

Money is just thrown at you so it's really trivial to be running full assaults/heavies by early mid game (although arbitrary tonnage limits stop you using them all). The Mechwarrior skill system is extremely dumb as well. All your pilots have arbitrary caps to their skills so you regularly have to dump people and hunt around the inner sphere for new ones because Capt. Bob is just biologically incapable of more than a 5/10 in evasion.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 10, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is HBS working on anything now?

Paradox owns them now, and they released a new game called Necropolis which I gather did poorly and Paradox probably pulled the plug on.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Paradox owns them now, and they released a new game called Necropolis which I gather did poorly and Paradox probably pulled the plug on.

Necropolis actually released before Battletech did. When they announced that development on Battletech was finished they said they were working on 2 new, non-Battletech projects and have said absolutely nothing else since.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Lmfao that PGI tried to copy BATTLETECH's map/contract system/etc and utterly failed at it.

How did those loving rear end-clowns get the Mechwarrior licence to begin with, and who's the dumb rear end that sold it to them?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

Necropolis actually released before Battletech did. When they announced that development on Battletech was finished they said they were working on 2 new, non-Battletech projects and have said absolutely nothing else since.

Is that so? I wasn't clear on the timeline, I thought Necropolis was newer.

Organ Fiend posted:

How did those loving rear end-clowns get the Mechwarrior licence to begin with, and who's the dumb rear end that sold it to them?

The answer to both of those questions is 'Microsoft'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Uuuuugh I had no clue HBS was not doing well, they're absolutely my favorite non AAA dev team.