Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
just get keanu reeves to play a young vesemir and watch the pre-orders roll in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Sachant posted:

I am dying for some Cyberpunk story DLC/expansion/whatever stuff.

Now that I've made my Cyberpunk good post, let me make my CDPR bad post.

I want this, but I don't expect to get what I want, considering all the departures of people who made the game and the on-going clusterfuck of basic things not being fixed. I will be pleasantly surprised if there's anything other Horse Armor DLC, the kind of thing that modders have already done.

I'm one of the five people that bought W1 on release from Atari and the the decay of a cool studio into a corpo hellfarm has been really sad to watch.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah I got it. Except that the joke there is that Cross is wrong and dumb and what he's saying has nothing to do with the normal interaction. Let's see if CDPR even exists in a year before talking about what we want a potential Witcher 3 to be. And talking it in the thread the is a monument to their last failure is pretty funny because how could anyone be excited for the next thing from the makers of Cyberpunk 2077? Are you all really hype for the next thing the Hunt Down The Freeman guys are making, too? Enough to be speculating about the main character there?

I think it comes down to a difference in the kind of games they are. Cyberpunk is different structurally in a ton of ways from Witcher 3, and is their first swing at that kind of game. If they make a sequel to Cyberpunk I would be a lot more hesitant to buy it before it's thoroughly reviewed for that reason. But with Witcher 2 and 3 they've shown me that they're capable of making 3rd-person sword-and-sorcery action games with great writing and reactivity, and nothing about Cyberpunk has altered that perception in my mind. It's like if a TV showrunner makes a couple of really great shows, then makes a movie that sucks. If I read that they're making another TV show, I'm interested.

That being said, the negative lasting legacy for CDPR going forward as a result of Cyberpunk for me is that they don't get to be cagey about showing gameplay footage or generally be more secretive than anybody else. That level of consumer trust is something they have to earn back, but it can be earned back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Brain Candy posted:

I'm one of the five people that bought W1 on release from Atari and the the decay of a cool studio into a corpo hellfarm has been really sad to watch.

FYI, the crunch and burnout from W1 was by all accounts absolutely awful.

I bought W1 even earlier, on the Polish release day.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah I got it. Except that the joke there is that Cross is wrong and dumb and what he's saying has nothing to do with the normal interaction. Let's see if CDPR even exists in a year before talking about what we want a potential Witcher 3 to be. And talking it in the thread the is a monument to their last failure is pretty funny because how could anyone be excited for the next thing from the makers of Cyberpunk 2077? Are you all really hype for the next thing the Hunt Down The Freeman guys are making, too? Enough to be speculating about the main character there?

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm with you on this. CDPR aren't likely to get any money from me again any time soon.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bust Rodd posted:

playing a video game as a character who has the powers of a multi-dimensional witch god probably wouldn’t be fun
That's why the hacking build sucks in CP

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Vince MechMahon posted:

all the people who made witcher 3 left and all the people who made cp77 are still there ergo witcher 4 will be good

Strategic Tea posted:

(I mean it would be shameless pandering that goes against the whole spirit of the books and games...)

the netflix tv show already exist

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 10, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

TheAgent posted:

just get keanu reeves Peter Stormare to play a young vesemir and watch the pre-orders roll in

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7-TKciolho

Pretty much 100% agree with everything he says, including that I am absolutely dying for any reason to come back and play this game again, and I hope one is on the way.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

itry posted:

Peter Stormare as young Vesimir
Peter Stormare is/feels too old to play young Vesimir. Thomas Jane on the other hand...

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 10, 2021

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
they can patch the technical aspects all they want so it can run decently on the ps4. that wont change the fact that cp77 is a mediocre action game, an awful rpg and that cdpr totally hosed it up

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
a CGI'd Blazing Saddles era Gene Wilder would be best

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That Italian Guy posted:

Peter Stormare is/feels too old to play young Vesimir. Thomas Jane on the other hand...

:hmmyes:

Then again, Vesemir is 200+ y/o in the W3. So compared to that 67 is pretty young :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Zeta Acosta posted:

they can patch the technical aspects all they want so it can run decently on the ps4. that wont change the fact that cp77 is a mediocre action game, an awful rpg and that cdpr totally hosed it up

It's would be quite a good DE:HR-like game if you only play certain sections* of the game (on PC). I actually really like Night City as an open world location, it's just that I dislike most open world aspects of the game outside the general vibe/look/immersion NC provides.

*namely, most of the main story, all the "V and Friends Quests" and certain side quests like Dream On and Sinnerman.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Rinkles posted:

FYI, the crunch and burnout from W1 was by all accounts absolutely awful.

I bought W1 even earlier, on the Polish release day.

Okay, I didn't know, I didn't dig. Maybe it's all marketing but I got the impression that CDPR was a passion project, and I definitely saw that, with free DLC, free remastering, DRM free GOG, stupid GOG going down pranks and so on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Brain Candy posted:

Okay, I didn't know, I didn't dig. Maybe it's all marketing but I got the impression that CDPR was a passion project, and I definitely saw that, with free DLC, free remastering, DRM free GOG, stupid GOG going down pranks and so on.

CDPR cultivated that image for years then decided to cash out when their directors and public shareholders wanted $$$, to them it was just another marketing gimmick all along.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

CDPR cultivated that image for years then decided to cash out when their directors and public shareholders wanted $$$, to them it was just another marketing gimmick all along.

I figure it was real to the people who were burning up their days trying to make something that was cool and the real betrayal isn't to 'the gamers' but everyone in retrospect who lost evenings to making some assholes get a bigger bonus.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah it really sucks for those developers, many of whom didn't even make it long enough to get churned into paste with CP2077, corporations are not your friend, etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Brain Candy posted:

I got the impression that CDPR was a passion project

it was and to some extent probably still is, but sometimes we don't realize those ambitions can also come at the cost of the blood, sweat, and tears of others

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Last night I had a visit from the guy flying the invisible jet. He was cruising about 15 feet over the street and then shot off at an angle through a building. :discourse:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

Brain Candy posted:

I figure it was real to the people who were burning up their days trying to make something that was cool and the real betrayal isn't to 'the gamers' but everyone in retrospect who lost evenings to making some assholes get a bigger bonus.

I'm sure it was at first. CDP wasn't a publicy traded company until 2010. They still crunched though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For anyone interested this covers the history of W1, and sheds some light onto the less glamorous aspects of its development (unlike the noclip hagiography)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g18GgD-SNzM

It's in Polish, but has English subs

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

itry posted:

I'm sure it was at first. CDP wasn't a publicy traded company until 2010. They still crunched though.

I've crunched for things I cared about, if it's not a hostage situation it's not intrinsically bad. I'll peep at

Rinkles posted:

For anyone interested this covers the history of W1, and sheds some light onto the less glamorous aspects of its development (unlike the noclip hagiography)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g18GgD-SNzM

It's in Polish, but has English subs

later to see how stupid I should feel.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I just want to say as the guy who fed into the witcher talk a lot, that I'm not exactly hype, that is just my taste for a new witcher game.

Hah.

I mean it could end up like Watchdogs 3 were you create your intricate character who then autogeneratedly talks with other autogenerated characters so poorly, you can literally hear the voice clips being constructed "Wow, you are amazing. But you have to do this before I will join you" and be an open world sandbox with nothing interesting.

I mean i doubt it, based on previous games, but you never know!

I'm pretty sure Comte isn't going to comment on any of it, and I don't blame them. I'm just glad they are still working on CP2077 and if they learn from this, next game will be, to excuse the backseat game making, managed/designed/or scoped effectively.

But what do i know, I'm just a computer jockey deals with storage, best I could be hired by CDPR is managing some servers for IT.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Axe-man posted:

I just want to say as the guy who fed into the witcher talk a lot, that I'm not exactly hype, that is just my taste for a new witcher game.

Hah.

I mean it could end up like Watchdogs 3 were you create your intricate character who then autogeneratedly talks with other autogenerated characters so poorly, you can literally hear the voice clips being constructed "Wow, you are amazing. But you have to do this before I will join you" and be an open world sandbox with nothing interesting.

I mean i doubt it, based on previous games, but you never know!

I'm pretty sure Comte isn't going to comment on any of it, and I don't blame them. I'm just glad they are still working on CP2077 and if they learn from this, next game will be, to excuse the backseat game making, managed/designed/or scoped effectively.

But what do i know, I'm just a computer jockey deals with storage, best I could be hired by CDPR is managing some servers for IT.

lol no, they are doubling down on the awful development of cp77 working on two games at the same time and with half the time they worked on this game

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The creative director and design director for the game leaving midway was the bigger problem, I think. I'm in the camp saying another year in the oven wouldn't have made much of a difference (besides bug fixes).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's now been 6 months more in the oven and I don't think the game feels half-way there.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The modding scene will fix it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So uh, maybe they were epically pwned https://kotaku.com/cd-projekt-red-confess-hack-severity-while-everyones-di-1847074826

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

you get two disastrous fuckups before people start to turn on you permanently imo, this is called "The BioWare Principle"

Bioware arguably had FIVE consecutive fuckups of varying degrees, four depending on how you feel about Dragon Age Inquisition.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Blue Raider posted:

Bioware arguably had FIVE consecutive fuckups of varying degrees, four depending on how you feel about Dragon Age Inquisition.

so in order:

DA2: fuckup but not one that ruined the world. just kind of mediocre. At this point people are like "well that wasn't great but I bet the next one will be good"
ME3: the ending was a pretty humongous fuckup, but generally people liked the rest of the game, and they redeemed themselves a bit through DLC.
DAI: not a fuckup, or at least not universally perceived as one. Sold well, got some good DLC, some people really didn't like it but more of a "well I hope they learn from the bad parts"
MEA: 100 percent a disastrous fuckup. Animation/writing poo poo in the first few hours of the game made it look stupid, they abandoned it after sales fell off a cliff, and it put the franchise on ice for quite some time
Anthem: "what if we, BioWare, known for games with interesting characters and complex stories, made a game with zero characters anyone talks about and a story with a lot of Nouns in it?" potential studio-killing fuckup

so basically I think people are feeling semi-optimistic for DA4, optimistic but wary for the next ME, and not even thinking about Anthem.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

/v/ has already the full game and their entire files. weird how this story hasnt gotten bigger. guess nobody cares anymote about the game

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/1403059158065295361

dont expect dlcs anytime soon if ever

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 10, 2021

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't think you can just download a source code like that

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You wouldn’t download a cyberpunk

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean it's certainly possible that the breach will badly delay content, I'm dubious about the explanation. Like yes, locking down your network and massively updating security protocols will slow down work. But I'm not sure, "our property has been breeched, so we better kill our property through inaction to protect our property" makes sense as a strategy.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
nothing they've done since release makes any goddamn sense tho

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
where are your precious netrunners now CDPR, huh? bitch

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
unfortunately netrunners can only cast fireball

I seriously can't believe that's all they loving did lol

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TheAgent posted:

nothing they've done since release makes any goddamn sense tho

Yeah.

What blows my mind is they have to have a bunch of bored artists sitting around if indeed they are trying to get the next Gen port ready (lol), you think they would have crapped out some clothing reskins or something by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's new here?