Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Notahippie posted:

I take back my earlier complaints about the bear suit bit being unbelievable and too picaresque. History has routed me.

https://westcorkpeople.ie/columnists/the-bear-from-waterford/

(I am absolutely in awe of O'Brian's depth of period knowledge, considering this is all pre-Internet or just at the dawn of the Internet at most).

Holy *poo poo *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
If they focused on Maturin and his intelligence activities more, they could do a lot of on-shore stuff. (which, if I remember, the movie didn't do anything with?) Plus with stuff like the Volume (the thing they used in the Mandalorian) they could do a lot of ship shots without building a whole ship. Or do a bunch of a below-decks stuff like Hornblower did.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah with Volume you could put real ocean water in the shot without CGI, compositing, or tanks.

That said, the CGI water in The Mandalorian was amazing. That scene where they pull the ship out of the water was completely CG and it looked perfect. It might not hold up for a 50 minute episode but the technology is getting close.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man it's another blink and you miss it thing but Stephen is definitely high in the first scene of Desolation Island. Jack and Sophie don't realize but the doctors at the dinner recognize it. Jack only notices that the doctors are acting strange towards Stephen.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Aubrey/Maturin is a manners comedy as much as it is an action series. I don't know how you'd make *that* popular except by Pirates of the Carribean'ing "sure the homeless pirate boy can marry the governor's daughter" it all up.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'd actually like to see an aubrey/maturin animated series. it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than live action and i think animation would lend itself well to all the cool technical details as long as they nailed the art style.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Aubrey/Maturin is a manners comedy as much as it is an action series. I don't know how you'd make *that* popular except by Pirates of the Carribean'ing "sure the homeless pirate boy can marry the governor's daughter" it all up.

People loved Bridgerton... I think one of the issues even with just the books is that the kind of people who love, say, Jane Austen, are immediately put off by what appears at surface level to be a deeply masculine boys' adventure story.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the greatest "show don't tell" in this series is when Jack refuses the Leopard and Sophie tells Jack that Stephen is depressed and would be happier if they took the command. Chapter 2 ends with that line and Chapter 3 opens in the Bay of Biscay on board the Leopard.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Beefeater1980 posted:

Black Sails managed, somehow, and it has great naval shots and battles.

it was a horrible show

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the greatest "show don't tell" in this series is when Jack refuses the Leopard and Sophie tells Jack that Stephen is depressed and would be happier if they took the command. Chapter 2 ends with that line and Chapter 3 opens in the Bay of Biscay on board the Leopard.

The horrible old Leopard? Didn't Jack make an atrocious mangling of the pun where it change its spots too?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

it was a horrible show

While it certainly made an effort on atmosphere and had good production values, I rather agree this show was pure schlock in terms of plot. I couldn't take the interminable monologues by every character going on and on about their convoluted plans and quasi-philosophical worldview. Stop arranging alliances and immediately double-crossing each other and then reconciling god drat it!

Notahippie posted:

I take back my earlier complaints about the bear suit bit being unbelievable and too picaresque. History has routed me.

https://westcorkpeople.ie/columnists/the-bear-from-waterford/

(I am absolutely in awe of O'Brian's depth of period knowledge, considering this is all pre-Internet or just at the dawn of the Internet at most).

This is absolutely amazing, thanks for posting it!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't remember this but in Desolation Island when Stephen first brings the woman prisoner on deck it takes about three minutes before Babbington finds an excuse to talk to her.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

People loved Downton Abbey.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I didn't remember this but in Desolation Island when Stephen first brings the woman prisoner on deck it takes about three minutes before Babbington finds an excuse to talk to her.

Lol, Stephen is pretty asperse dealing with it too. Then this plonker called Turnbull comes up and tries the same thing, having found a plausible work excuse, swears at a seaman, and immediately gets in hot water with Jack for un-officer-like conduct and swearing in front of a lady!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Arglebargle III posted:

In HMS Surprise the only phrase Babbington retains from the Hindi phrasebook is "woman, wilt thou lie with me?" :lol:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

Lol, Stephen is pretty asperse dealing with it too. Then this plonker called Turnbull comes up and tries the same thing, having found a plausible work excuse, swears at a seaman, and immediately gets in hot water with Jack for un-officer-like conduct and swearing in front of a lady!

Also trimming the headsails wrong!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cessna posted:

I've had people give up on this series because it was too male. Adding in Georgian society on screen would definitely help. The series opens in a concert hall!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cessna posted:

What action was there? I think there was a war happening, but it was never fought from the decks of Downton Abbey.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

I've had people give up on this series because it was too male. Adding in Georgian society on screen would definitely help. The series opens in a concert hall!

It opens in the music-room at the Governor's House at Port Mahon you philistine.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Genghis Cohen posted:

This is absolutely amazing, thanks for posting it!

I don't actually know if I buy it, it seems like the 18th century version of fwd:fwd:fwd, but either way it's not something O'Brian just pulled out of nowhere. I cannot imagine what his home library must have looked like.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

withak posted:

It opens in the music-room at the Governor's House at Port Mahon you philistine.

If one were suffering a superabundance of the yellow bile one might feel compelled to equivocate on the exact delineation of the English vocabulary: what constitutes a hall; what a concert? But to my understanding the nature of the space, its quintessence if you follow me, is that of a hall for the performance of music. To whit: a concert hall.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Call him a pragmatical clinchpoop and kick his breech

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lord Nelson leans in to me and says in a sordid voce, "Always be kicking breeches, Aubrey."

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mr. Mambold posted:

Lord Nelson leans in to me and says in a sordid voce, "Always be kicking breeches, Aubrey."

Remember to get Pullings to make a note of his name for good measure.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ChubbyChecker posted:

it was a horrible show

Seriously. Every pirate on it looks like some Jersey Shore spray tanned brawndo, and they clearly borrowed the Vikings people on set and costume design :eng99:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Genghis Cohen posted:

While it certainly made an effort on atmosphere and had good production values, I rather agree this show was pure schlock in terms of plot. I couldn't take the interminable monologues by every character going on and on about their convoluted plans and quasi-philosophical worldview. Stop arranging alliances and immediately double-crossing each other and then reconciling god drat it!

Tias posted:

Seriously. Every pirate on it looks like some Jersey Shore spray tanned brawndo, and they clearly borrowed the Vikings people on set and costume design :eng99:

i'm very much into pirate and ship shows and really wanted to like the black sails, but i had to bow out in the first episode

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ChubbyChecker posted:

i'm very much into pirate and ship shows and really wanted to like the black sails, but i had to bow out in the first episode

Have I got the movie for you! Similar era to Aubrey and Maturin too.

https://youtu.be/05AHp8MgSjk

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stephen is such a nerd his first response to getting horny is to go to his cabin and write a long diary entry about it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

builds character posted:

Have I got the movie for you! Similar era to Aubrey and Maturin too.

https://youtu.be/05AHp8MgSjk

hah

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's amazing what you pick up even on a third reread. I thought Herapath was a bit of a sad sack who had been dumped and wouldn't get over it. But he and Louisa clearly start sleeping together on the Leopard all the way back between Brazil and the Cape. You just have to pay attention because O'Brian isn't going to explain it to the reader.

Maybe some of this is just forgetting since she gets pregnant.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 12, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huh I did not know that Patrick O'Brian lived in France and worked translating French literature into English before his novels took off.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Huh I did not know that Patrick O'Brian lived in France and worked translating French literature into English before his novels took off.

Although I'm sure they're well grounded in the economic history of the time, the remarks he gives to Stephen and Martin about the miserable existence of hack authors have a real ring of personal experience to them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm part way through HMS Surprise and really enjoying this series. I'm not sure why I never gave it a shot after enjoying the movie. My parents are even very good friends with the person who was the consultant on rigging & sheets for the the movie set. You can bet it was as accurate as possible in every detail.

I pause to look up things pretty frequently, mostly Stephen's weird anatomical or medical terms. Great stuff.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I read these for the first time back when I was 19 and somehow missed that Maturin was an addict until The Mauritius Command simply because I didn't know what laudunam is

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Watched the movie last night for the first time, I realised, since I saw it on a four-inch screen in 2004 which wasn't exactly ideal (and was before I'd read the books). I'd forgotten what a genuinely excellent film it is - easily Weir's best. To the extent that the series is filmable at all, he nailed it.

The bit where a semi-conscious Maturin is being stretchered onto the island and says to Jack something like "I hope this isn't on my account," and Jack just smiles at him and says "just needed to stretch my legs," is loving perfect. Russell Crowe is great.

One thing that stood out to me was how weirdly sparse the captain's cabin seemed to be. I assume it's accurate because they knew their stuff, but I kept comparing it to the (equally accurate, I assume) captains' cabins in The Terror, in which Crozier and Fitzjames seemed to have way more fittings. Tables and desks and bookshelves and stuff. Is it because on an active warship the partitions always have to be removed and the captain's cabin regularly becomes part of the gun deck, so there's no room for clutter?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Ya, everything on that level needs to be broken down and sent below to clear the guns for action. Plus, Jack didn't seem the type to have a lot of poo poo cluttering his quarters, unlike some Captains in the books.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If they used the actual room on the Surprise I’ve been in it and it’s pretty dang small.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

If they used the actual room on the Surprise I’ve been in it and it’s pretty dang small.

And even that space would have been an unthinkable level of luxury for any of the other officers (let alone the seamen) aboard!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The real real HMS Surprise is like 570 tons burthen. I think the French rated her corvette. The Rose is slightly smaller at 500 tons.

Compare to an actual 5th rate of the time which would be around 1100 tons or USS Constitution which is almost 1600 tons.

The battle in the movie depicts Surprise attacking a ship literally three times her size. And that's actually less than the disparity between HM Sloop Speedy and El Gamo.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, what's a fritoon

From Nutmeg of Consolation:

quote:

This would be in the very near future, for now the real boats had shoved off, and Killick and his mates were on their way with trays of glasses, bottles, fritoons and what other delicacies the Surprise could afford.