Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Play posted:

I think I see the issue here.... lol

Pretty sure most people would rather see almost anything else, especially something new, rather than more Death Stranding. It was fine I guess but I think there was plenty of it already. That's how I see it, and a LOT of people would not even come close to agreeing with you that Death Stranding was one of the greatest games of the last decade. That is a very niche opinion

I can confirm that it is good and fun to play

I mean not to start a pissing match but as a passive observer who hasn’t played the game, it certainly seems like a lot of people were raving about it everywhere I looked. Doesn’t seem like a “niche opinion”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Loved death stranding, but he should just make death stranding 2 instead

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I mean not to start a pissing match but as a passive observer who hasn’t played the game, it certainly seems like a lot of people were raving about it everywhere I looked. Doesn’t seem like a “niche opinion”.

First of all, people can like a game and even say a lot of good things about it without calling it the best game of the past decade. And I would say it was at least an even split between people who loved the game, people who tolerated the game, and people who found it just about the most boring game on god's green earth. If you look at reviews they are pretty consistent: "a mess worth playing", "a beautiful story burdened by a dull game", "the best video game movie ever made," etc.

Anyways, if you guys are crazy enough to go around giving Kojima free reign to get even further up his own rear end, on your head be it!! I would've been genuinely excited to hear about a NEW project and leave Death Stranding in the past, but it's fine that people feel otherwise.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

loved death stranding so im hype for a reason to play through again

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Metal Slug Tactics looks really cool but darn I was mega hype for a second thinking a proper new one was coming out.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Play posted:

First of all, people can like a game and even say a lot of good things about it without calling it the best game of the past decade. And I would say it was at least an even split between people who loved the game, people who tolerated the game, and people who found it just about the most boring game on god's green earth. If you look at reviews they are pretty consistent: "a mess worth playing", "a beautiful story burdened by a dull game", "the best video game movie ever made," etc.

Anyways, if you guys are crazy enough to go around giving Kojima free reign to get even further up his own rear end, on your head be it!! I would've been genuinely excited to hear about a NEW project and leave Death Stranding in the past, but it's fine that people feel otherwise.
MGS1, 2 and 3 all got what could be described as "directors cut" re-release so Kojima is just doing what he always does.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Play posted:

I think I see the issue here.... lol

Pretty sure most people would rather see almost anything else, especially something new, rather than more Death Stranding. It was fine I guess but I think there was plenty of it already. That's how I see it, and a LOT of people would not even come close to agreeing with you that Death Stranding was one of the greatest games of the last decade. That is a very niche opinion

Play posted:

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

death stranding Owns

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My death stranding name would be James Clerk County

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My Death Stranding Name would be Concerned Mom.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is it "director's cut" like all the stuff they removed for time or is it just the equivalent of a video game GOTY edition where they package together all the free&paid DLC, add a few QoL things and make it look slightly nicer?

edit: Looks like its PS5 only so my interest died immediately.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

pentyne posted:

Is it "director's cut" like all the stuff they removed for time or is it just the equivalent of a video game GOTY edition where they package together all the free&paid DLC, add a few QoL things and make it look slightly nicer?

edit: Looks like its PS5 only so my interest died immediately.

Death Stranding doesn't have any paid DLC.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My Death Stranding Name would be Concerned Mom.

Oh if we're going for the Die Hardman type names then I'd be Lazy Fatman

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Death Stranding doesn't have any paid DLC.

It does have some PC exclusive bonus content though (the Halflife / Portal / Cyberpunk stuff) so the DC might be in part bringing that stuff to consoles

Hopefully there's more to it than that though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

repiv posted:

It does have some PC exclusive bonus content though (the Halflife / Portal / Cyberpunk stuff) so the DC might be in part bringing that stuff to consoles

thrilling!

very much so

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I stopped playing Death Stranding because the cut scenes were long and dumb (some people like this, fair) but also mainly because I thought the combat stealth or whatever it was was really bad. I don't even remember what it was like, but if you got caught, you went to some alternative universe and had to run from a whale or something. Also not sure about later in the game, but all the hubs were all the same, and you got jobs by chatting with someone the same way through some intercom so it all felt the same no matter what the job was or where you took it from. I liked the part about delivering stuff though, but they kept forcing combat sections, or stealth combat sections that were not fun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6pCyV7PnqI

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
^^
:siren::siren::siren:

Elden Ring coming January 21, 2022.
There was a trailer just now at the Summer Game Fest.
Well played, Keighley. Well played.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 10, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Play posted:

thrilling!

very much so

you can just not say anything instead of being miserable, complaining, etc. very easy to do

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Death Stranding itself wasn't my jam but I very much want to see more huge budget videogames like that which bear such a strong mark of one auteur's singular vision (even when it's batshit insane) in the same way you can point to movies and say, "That's a Scorsese movie" or "That's a Wachowski movie" instead of the faceless committee-driven consumer products they generally are. For better or worse nobody but Kojima could ever have made that game.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rusty posted:

I stopped playing Death Stranding because the cut scenes were long and dumb (some people like this, fair) but also mainly because I thought the combat stealth or whatever it was was really bad. I don't even remember what it was like, but if you got caught, you went to some alternative universe and had to run from a whale or something. Also not sure about later in the game, but all the hubs were all the same, and you got jobs by chatting with someone the same way through some intercom so it all felt the same no matter what the job was or where you took it from. I liked the part about delivering stuff though, but they kept forcing combat sections, or stealth combat sections that were not fun.

I'm more positive on DS than this but I was playing COD ww2 off and on at the same time (free from psplus) and the combat chapters (ww2, Vietnam) in DS were a big step down from COD, which is a pretty damming inditement of DS. I enjoyed the deliveries and navigation but the combat sections were surprisingly poor and I thought pretty much everything from chapter 9 on (ie the endgame) drifted from stupid to boring.

The exposition dump (really dumps) in particular was both badly handled and boring for how ridiculously dumb it was.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the person above me couldnt understand the game. very sad to see this happening.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Four years ago I got to experience VR at PAX East just playing Jenga with shipping containers, and it was neat but it didn't especially wow me.

I just got to play Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, and a little bit of Half Life Alyx at my cousin's house just now and holy poo poo I want a headset so bad. I feel like I just experienced the future. I had a smile on my face the entire time. Words cannot describe the experience.

Unfortunately I got laid off 2 months ago and am still looking for work so it'll be a while until I can get one, but as soon as I have a paycheck coming in again I am getting something.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeahi bust out HL alyx for people to try on my headset and it blows peoples minds. it really is insanely good

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Looks cool. Very Soulsy.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zachack posted:

I'm more positive on DS than this but I was playing COD ww2 off and on at the same time (free from psplus) and the combat chapters (ww2, Vietnam) in DS were a big step down from COD, which is a pretty damming inditement of DS. I enjoyed the deliveries and navigation but the combat sections were surprisingly poor and I thought pretty much everything from chapter 9 on (ie the endgame) drifted from stupid to boring.

The exposition dump (really dumps) in particular was both badly handled and boring for how ridiculously dumb it was.

Admittedly the combat sections weren't the best, but they're thankfully rather short. I found the invisible goop monsters kinda boring too, but the hiking was very good.

I hope Director's Cut makes it scarier and adds new places to hike.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

You better fuckin believe I’m buying this day 1.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

for cute game lovers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3BfaNzJYfw

this looks like everything i like in game. camera, take pictures to fulfill requests, hats, and ghosts

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

Four years ago I got to experience VR at PAX East just playing Jenga with shipping containers, and it was neat but it didn't especially wow me.

I just got to play Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, and a little bit of Half Life Alyx at my cousin's house just now and holy poo poo I want a headset so bad. I feel like I just experienced the future. I had a smile on my face the entire time. Words cannot describe the experience.

Unfortunately I got laid off 2 months ago and am still looking for work so it'll be a while until I can get one, but as soon as I have a paycheck coming in again I am getting something.

Depending on your tolerance for Facebook and facebook related things the Quest 2 is affordable and one of the better VR devices out there right now. You can stream VR games wirelessly from your PC to the headset and it works amazingly if you have a halfway decent router and PC. It's a pretty great experience being able to play without any wires to fumble over.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah i have a quest 2 and its really loving good. I imagine the more expensive headsets are better, but the full wireless streaming from PC to it is kinda awesome. plus ive never used a different headset so i dont have any comparison.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
not to drag this debacle on for n many pages but someone ought to tell the starsector and consumer softproducts people about the brigador devs because it sucks that they're cross promoting.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

queeb posted:

yeahi bust out HL alyx for people to try on my headset and it blows peoples minds. it really is insanely good

I didn't even get far enough to get a gun, I just walked around and picked stuff up and threw things and got used to the movement systems. By then the weight of the headset was starting to wear on me. But even just smashing bottles and juggling street cones was stupidly fun :haw:

explosivo posted:

Depending on your tolerance for Facebook and facebook related things the Quest 2 is affordable and one of the better VR devices out there right now. You can stream VR games wirelessly from your PC to the headset and it works amazingly if you have a halfway decent router and PC. It's a pretty great experience being able to play without any wires to fumble over.

Positively gently caress Facebook :v: the wires on my cousin's Samsung thing didn't really bother me, but I can see why wireless would be nicer.

Definitely gonna do some research on all the different headsets later though

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I only tried the original oculus rift and found it was really uncomfortable and blurry with eyeglasses on. Are more recent ones better in that regard? I've actually heard the PSVR is the most comfortable for people who wear glasses.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Rift has adjustable focus lenses so you should be able to use it without glasses?

The PSVR is usable with glasses but it has fixed lenses so it needs to have that space

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Imagined posted:

I only tried the original oculus rift and found it was really uncomfortable and blurry with eyeglasses on. Are more recent ones better in that regard? I've actually heard the PSVR is the most comfortable for people who wear glasses.

I tried the original too and find this way more tolerable, plus there's a whole range of third party bullshit you can buy to make your experience better like replacement face things with better material, or different headstraps. Out of the box it's perfectly fine though. PSVR gets a lot of love because of the halo style headstrap. It comes with a spacer that adds more room so you can actually fit a pair of glasses in there, although it's for sure a tight squeeze. There's online stores that actually sell somewhat affordable lens replacements using your glasses prescription. I wear glasses but just don't bother in VR, although I can normally see okay without my glasses, just not as clear.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Rift has adjustable focus lenses so you should be able to use it without glasses?

no it doesn't, you either need to wear glasses inside the headset or buy prescription lens inserts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

repiv posted:

no it doesn't, you either need to wear glasses inside the headset or buy prescription lens inserts

I don't know if they changed it in later models but it definitely had it, I used it

https://www.vrheads.com/how-adjust-lenses-your-oculus-rift

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know if they changed it in later models but it definitely had it, I used it

https://www.vrheads.com/how-adjust-lenses-your-oculus-rift

That just adjusts for how far apart your eyes are, it doesn't do poo poo help you if you wear glasses.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pupil distance and focus are two different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that's IPD adjustment to match how far apart your eyes are, it has nothing to do with focus

you still need glasses/contacts/inserts for that

e;fb