Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jack Trades posted:

Are they giving up on making the AI being able to....hit you at the very least?

Last I checked they were still using that incredibly stupid bought animation pack and the AI could neither attack nor defend properly.

Yeah I'm willing to bet the dungeons are still full of the same stupid enemies who have one set of animations regardless of the type of weapon they're using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The funniest animation is absolutely the dual-wielding jump-and-spin move which doesn't even move them forward and you just stand there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW4kl36KbYg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1530750/EVERSLAUGHT/

Also, Oculus' guardian will be increased to max 15x15m (from 10x10).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bondematt posted:

Man, it's hilarious how many headsets have come out since the Index, and it's still the best around.

It ought to be, seeing as it's also the most expensive by far... Between my Vive Pro and Quest 2, I'm going to hold off on getting one until I stop hearing about all the critical hardware issues with it though, I don't want to drop a G on something where the video cable might fail within a month.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

First image of the Demeo update

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We eatin good next week goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-WJBrS-sYg

Why yes I would love some Sam and Max, thank you. Undead Citadel looks cool as hell too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Into the darkness looks good and sort of Boneworks-ish

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I'm feeling like trying a few new rhythm games; I've gotten pretty much everything out of Beat Saber that I think I'm going to gently caress burning sands. I also got Ragnaröck and have enjoyed it a fair bit but if anyone's got any other rhythm recommendations I'm all ears.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We eatin good next week goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-WJBrS-sYg

Why yes I would love some Sam and Max, thank you. Undead Citadel looks cool as hell too.

The sad thing with the Sam and Max game is it's looking to be a very our-first-VR-game 2016-esque collection of minigames rather than a VR point-and-click adventure game.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 10, 2021

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

sarcastx posted:

I'm feeling like trying a few new rhythm games; I've gotten pretty much everything out of Beat Saber that I think I'm going to gently caress burning sands. I also got Ragnaröck and have enjoyed it a fair bit but if anyone's got any other rhythm recommendations I'm all ears.

Synth Riders is a good change of pace, though it's not quite as satisfying as smacking something on a beat

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
e:nvm

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VD's Guy Godin develops his own spacewarp technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH7qCsey2to

quote:

@everyone You can try this release by downloading the Beta Streamer from here: https://download.vrdesktop.net/files/beta/VirtualDesktop.Streamer.Setup.exe
To update your Quest, click the Version number in the Virtual Desktop store page and select the BETA channel: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

• Added Synchronous Spacewarp (SSW) on Quest 2. This will reduce stutters when your PC isn't able to reach framerate or has framerate dips.
It does this by rendering the game at half-framerate under heavy load and generating the missing frames on the headset.
You can also choose to force SSW on or disable it in the Streaming tab
To learn more about how SSW works, see the detailed post on Reddit: https://v.redd.it/ydcb03lbwg471
• Displayed Framerate in the performance overlay is now more accurate
• Fixed error messages when installing the Streamer on non-administrator accounts

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

sarcastx posted:

Burning Sands was one of those maps that I wrote off as far too difficult on Expert+, then came back to it after a few weeks and cleared it first try. A good workout track, too.

Still poo poo at Origins/Reasons For Living from that OST, i'm really bad at the arm crossover movements.

Seconding Synth Riders, Audica might be worth a try but it didn't stick with me. Pistol Whip is pretty fun and quite a good workout on high difficulties.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

Looks like SteamVR's motion smoothing. Tbh I would prefer glitches over the liquify filter.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ott_ posted:

Looks like SteamVR's motion smoothing. Tbh I would prefer glitches over the liquify filter.

I think v30 is also bringing improvements over ASW on Link, so there will be 'competition'.

Also, moar golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN-CWB5pJUQ

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

pantsfree posted:

Burning Sands was one of those maps that I wrote off as far too difficult on Expert+, then came back to it after a few weeks and cleared it first try. A good workout track, too.

Still poo poo at Origins/Reasons For Living from that OST, i'm really bad at the arm crossover movements.

Seconding Synth Riders, Audica might be worth a try but it didn't stick with me. Pistol Whip is pretty fun and quite a good workout on high difficulties.

Is it normal that I pretty easily got an "A" on Burning Sands on expert plus after never trying it on that difficulty before, but I still can't beat pretty much any Camellia song on even Expert? Some Camellia Expert songs I can't even pass with slower song on.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Good to hear from you both, pantsfree and Butt Discussin; and yeah, I share most of your experiences.
For me the two biggest problems I've had with Beat Saber are:
1). Poor variety of music styles (even if you're spending money on DLC)
2). Wildly unpredictable variances in difficulty

I'm at the point where I have all of the tracks in the first 3 packs at S or SS with Full Combo on Expert difficulty (as well as 2 or 3 songs in Extras). I've yet to even complete a song in Expert+ (let alone get S or Full Combo) - whereas the best I can do in the Camelia pack is Hard (still Full Combo/S though). I then bought the Green Day and Linkin Park music packs and S'd my way through Expert too.

I'd probably persevere with Expert+ - but returning to the wildly unpredictable difficulty - too many of the easier songs are of the genre "awful cringerap"

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

sarcastx posted:

Good to hear from you both, pantsfree and Butt Discussin; and yeah, I share most of your experiences.
For me the two biggest problems I've had with Beat Saber are:

I'm at the point where I have all of the tracks in the first 3 packs at S or SS with Full Combo on Expert difficulty (as well as 2 or 3 songs in Extras). I've yet to even complete a song in Expert+ (let alone get S or Full Combo) - whereas the best I can do in the Camelia pack is Hard (still Full Combo/S though). I then bought the Green Day and Linkin Park music packs and S'd my way through Expert too.

I'd probably persevere with Expert+ - but returning to the wildly unpredictable difficulty - too many of the easier songs are of the genre "awful cringerap"

Everyone who likes beat saber and plays it for any length of time is running it modded with custom songs. I still play standalone quest 2 unmodded sometimes for convenience, and even bought most of the DLC, but most of the time I will plug the headset in and start downloading random new songs in-game with random search terms, or check out Beast saber. Virtual desktop/airlink also works fine, but the added ~40ms of lag drops me down a skill level or so.

edit: Also, it took me more than a month of daily practice at 45 minutes a day(due to the Oculus move fitness tracker thing) to move from expert to expert+. It would never have happened if I hadn't committed to the fitness thing - I'm pretty sure I had to actually build muscles to be able to move fast enough, and I'm still not fast enough to do anything better than low 5 notes per second.

Question Time fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 10, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

More free content for Climb 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0LEzqtj-44

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
My wife just updated to v29 on her oculus 2. It boots up to blackness in a stationary guardian (you can see the guardian boundaries and you can leave it and get passthrough and see the real world but as soon as you go back into the guardian it is just black again.

How can I fix this. Restarting and turning off and on again doesn’t fix it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dear Watson posted:

My wife just updated to v29 on her oculus 2. It boots up to blackness in a stationary guardian (you can see the guardian boundaries and you can leave it and get passthrough and see the real world but as soon as you go back into the guardian it is just black again.

Any chance you have a link cable plugged in? I think I've had that before and I think taking it out and restarting is what fixed it, but I don't remember exactly

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
No, nothing is plugged in. I don’t think she’s ever had it plugged into a computer

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dear Watson posted:

I guess you already tried to turn it off (hold the power button) a pair of time, with no success?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm having the same issues. The only way I can get the menu/home environment to reappear is to look straight up for a few seconds so it loses track and has to reset the guardian.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
When it's happened to me lighting was too dim in the room to create a guardian and eventually the blackness would stop and it would ask me if I wanted to go guardian less.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Turin Turambar posted:

I guess you already tried to turn it off (hold the power button) a pair of time, with no success?

Yep

Origami Dali posted:

I'm having the same issues. The only way I can get the menu/home environment to reappear is to look straight up for a few seconds so it loses track and has to reset the guardian.

I’ll see if hers does this too

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

When it's happened to me lighting was too dim in the room to create a guardian and eventually the blackness would stop and it would ask me if I wanted to go guardian less.

It’s pretty bright in here. I’ll try more lights I guess

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Origami Dali posted:

I couldn’t get this to happen. The only thing I’ve been able to do other than power on or power off is walk around in passthrough when I leave the stationary guardian. If I hold the oculus button while outside of the guardian it recenters the guardian on me.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Turin Turambar posted:

Offloaded onto the HMD, no less.

Sure, Qualcomm recently released an OpenGL extension for XR2 motion smoothing but actually getting the feature out in beta before Oculus is impressive.

I wish they’d just let Guy hook into the native drivers. The desktop experience and just UI/UX in general is so so much better in VD. I get what Oculus was going for with the Link UI, but having it all run on the PC was such a loving dumb idea.

Edit: by dumb idea I mean having the UI be entirely rendered in 3D space by the remote GPU. Instant trips to vomit town because the GPU is freaking out with no obvious way of even getting back to the normal Quest launcher (let alone a desktop mode to force quit the game) is absolutely baffling to me.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 10, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dear Watson posted:

Here seems to be an article about it with some stuff you can try (ignoring the "are you an idiot ones" like charging the headset): https://www.lifewire.com/fix-black-screen-of-death-on-oculus-quest-5114284

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

StarkRavingMad posted:

Here seems to be an article about it with some stuff you can try (ignoring the "are you an idiot ones" like charging the headset): https://www.lifewire.com/fix-black-screen-of-death-on-oculus-quest-5114284
Thanks
I had already tried most of those. I guess it’s probably stuck in the update and I’ll have to do a factory reset. She’s not going to be happy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH7qCsey2to

It’s cool that he keeps pushing his software. There are definitely cases where VD is the clear winner over Link

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

sarcastx posted:

Synth Riders has a demo. Give it a shot. Took a while for me to warm to it but I enjoy it more than Beat Saber at times. On master level on the Electro Swing songs you'll feel like you're doing some 1920s charleston dance as you go through the song.

Audio Trip is basically another Synth Riders but much tougher physically. I like it for the slightly more exercise focus. There's a discord with custom songs which you'll need as the game has no DLC and a pretty short song list. The quality is mixed but there are some gems in there (2 Unlimited - No limits is a guilty pleasure).

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Leathal posted:

Offloaded onto the HMD, no less.

Sure, Qualcomm recently released an OpenGL extension for XR2 motion smoothing but actually getting the feature out in beta before Oculus is impressive.

I wish they’d just let Guy hook into the native drivers. The desktop experience and just UI/UX in general is so so much better in VD. I get what Oculus was going for with the Link UI, but having it all run on the PC was such a loving dumb idea.

Edit: by dumb idea I mean having the UI be entirely rendered in 3D space by the remote GPU. Instant trips to vomit town because the GPU is freaking out with no obvious way of even getting back to the normal Quest launcher (let alone a desktop mode to force quit the game) is absolutely baffling to me.

I 100% agree with you. Airlink works great and all, but the user experience is just awful. When I switched from my Rift S to the Quest 2 it blew my mind at how much better the interface was... And then airlink came out and and I felt like I was back on my Rift S.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

.Ataraxia. posted:

I 100% agree with you. Airlink works great and all, but the user experience is just awful. When I switched from my Rift S to the Quest 2 it blew my mind at how much better the interface was... And then airlink came out and and I felt like I was back on my Rift S.

From what I understand their long term goal is to have it 100% integrated into the quest UI, so you just see your PC games in the app list and launch them from there and then it starts air linking when you load the game.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Butt Discussin posted:

Is it normal that I pretty easily got an "A" on Burning Sands on expert plus after never trying it on that difficulty before, but I still can't beat pretty much any Camellia song on even Expert? Some Camellia Expert songs I can't even pass with slower song on.

Same. I’m extremely close to beating ‘Spin Eternally’ on expert, but haven’t managed any of the others. I’m really bad at consistently doing long drumroll sections and that’s what much of the camellia maps are like. They’re also not especially fun to play, except for Spin Eternally.

sarcastx posted:

Snip
The music works pretty well for the game (and gets stuck in your head forever). They’ve hired several new mappers so we might see a lot more music packs. I’m just waiting for mod support to come back to Quest 2, should be this month.

A lot of the earlier maps have pretty terrible, unintuitive patterns that break a lot of current mapping ‘rules’ that make them both tougher and less fun. The Camellia maps are much harder for a given difficulty too.

Maps with high note speed (not notes per second) also feel much harder for a given difficulty IMO but that’s because I’m old and slow.

I can complete a majority of the OST/Extras and the packs I have on Expert+ at an A/S but it took a while to get there. Can’t manage any of OST4 on E+ because of the speed.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Synth Riders has a demo. Give it a shot. Took a while for me to warm to it but I enjoy it more than Beat Saber at times. On master level on the Electro Swing songs you'll feel like you're doing some 1920s charleston dance as you go through the song.

Audio Trip is basically another Synth Riders but much tougher physically. I like it for the slightly more exercise focus. There's a discord with custom songs which you'll need as the game has no DLC and a pretty short song list. The quality is mixed but there are some gems in there (2 Unlimited - No limits is a guilty pleasure).

Customs exist for Synth too, they also have a mod discord, and the official mappers make lots of random maps. Audio Trip is Always Save brand Synth Riders. Always has been.

Jack Trades posted:

Until You Fall has such a good arcadey melee system, I wish more games used it.

honestly my fav melee i think out of all vr games.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sarcastx posted:

pantsfree and Butt Discussin

:cripes:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMT1etoTLHk

A VR game with raytracing and dlss. For the few lucky ones with a 3000 series card.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

or 2000, or 2000 super. It looks like it was a PSVR game so I'm confident someone with a 2060 super could run this with the bells and the whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shine posted:

I'm Kay. I kill people. With my SWORD!

drat you're an admin now? Goondolences.