Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The one Star Wars EU novel I remember was aimed at kids and it was about this weirdo with three eyes whose name was something goofy like three-eyes, he wanted to find Darth Vader's glove, which was apparently indestructible and part of a prophesy that the next Empire leader would wear that glove. Didn't bother checking out the others in the series after it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Elden Ring looks like the kind of thing that could make me buy a new console but also I get my poo poo pushed in playing botw so maybe it's not for me. Never played a souls game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tabletops posted:

Japanese fantasy games obsession with Yggdrasil will never not bewilder me

big trees are cool op

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

yeah big trees rule

I dunno why but I really like the whole World Tree concept in fantasy settings too. Any time there's a World Tree I'm into it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elden Ring confirmed sequel to Etrian Odyssey. Big tree is actually the ruins of Tokyo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

Elden Ring confirmed sequel to Etrian Odyssey. Big tree is actually the ruins of Tokyo.

Halfway through the game a girl with a Jack Frost on her hat shoots you with a gun and becomes the new main character

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Did google searches for characters from Irish mythology on the occasion of Elden Ring now being real, and 99% of the results are anime

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the thing about giant trees in fantasy is they fail to include giant mushrooms for when that tree dies. I want the World Mushroom to grow and spread its spores and ooze. Plenty of fantasy worlds have giant mushrooms, but usually don't really connect them to decaying world trees.

WoW had a World Tree or three blow up, no World Mushrooms after. Unless Teldrassil grew some, idk, haven't seen the place since we blew that poo poo up.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't play or care about Sekiro at all but I'm interested in Elden Ring

Especially because it looks like it may have multi again with those blue phantoms in the trailer

yeah i think i saw on the website it has co-op multiplayer

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Khanstant posted:

the thing about giant trees in fantasy is they fail to include giant mushrooms for when that tree dies. I want the World Mushroom to grow and spread its spores and ooze. Plenty of fantasy worlds have giant mushrooms, but usually don't really connect them to decaying world trees.

WoW had a World Tree or three blow up, no World Mushrooms after. Unless Teldrassil grew some, idk, haven't seen the place since we blew that poo poo up.

Nintendo hire this poster to fill out the Mushroom Kingdom's backstory

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

the last of us

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Zeno Clash seems like the kind of place where you'd get a World Mushroom and also the inhabitants would probably be mushrooms and have mushroom shaped tits. Zeno Clash was really fuckin strange and cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
workshopping a setting where the world tree died but instead of being a bad thing it's just a world nursery log in the world forest, bursting with life

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1403104445999820801?s=19

Years later, Fallout 76 keeps happening

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Did google searches for characters from Irish mythology on the occasion of Elden Ring now being real, and 99% of the results are anime

You probably saw the Fate series versions of them. We have a lot of them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tabletops posted:

Japanese fantasy games obsession with Yggdrasil will never not bewilder me
Giant trees loom large in Japanese folklore, so it makes sense that they'll reference the closest analogue they can find in Western Mythology in order to bridge the gap

Khanstant posted:

The one Star Wars EU novel I remember was aimed at kids and it was about this weirdo with three eyes whose name was something goofy like three-eyes, he wanted to find Darth Vader's glove, which was apparently indestructible and part of a prophesy that the next Empire leader would wear that glove. Didn't bother checking out the others in the series after it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

At least this time it's about an unpopular game mode being shut down and not uh...

*points to the entirety of Fallout 76*

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The United States posted:

Giant trees loom large in Japanese folklore, so it makes sense that they'll reference the closest analogue they can find in Western Mythology in order to bridge the gap

lol i looked at the wookiepedia after posting that, so im guessing this is the robo-leia that threeeyes wanted to marry. Really thought "marrying leia" was the dumbest part of his whole shtick, like, go on a date first, jesus.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

yeah big trees rule

I dunno why but I really like the whole World Tree concept in fantasy settings too. Any time there's a World Tree I'm into it

wizard101 has a world tree that is very important to the lore and history of the game's world and backstory and now I have imparted this knowledge onto you

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

workshopping a setting where the world tree died but instead of being a bad thing it's just a world nursery log in the world forest, bursting with life

The world sour dough starter

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

haveblue posted:

That's a big loving tree

Tis loving bigger up close

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

Yes, indeed

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah i played carto too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

yeah i played carto too

I didn't finish that, it was neat and chill but I liked the idea of the gimmick more than the execution

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm coming up on the end of the second region of ghost of tsushima and am getting kinda curious how much there will be to do in the final region. i've fully upgraded all my equipment, every character quest is either over or only has like one mission left, and there isn't much more to spend skill points on

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Khanstant posted:

lol i looked at the wookiepedia after posting that, so im guessing this is the robo-leia that threeeyes wanted to marry. Really thought "marrying leia" was the dumbest part of his whole shtick, like, go on a date first, jesus.
She's a princess, he's a prince, it's a political maneuver. BUT LITTLE DID HE KNOW ABOUT LASER EYES

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Oh boy is the new Gamer Words Dictionary out already?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Question for anybody who has played all of the etrian odyssey games, just a general background story lore question that has spoilers for Untold 1, 3, and 4.

I know that Nexus is said to be the last EO game to be released on a DS/3DS device though not necessarily the end of the series. I also know that Nexus is the 6th mainline game and that the backstory says that there were 7 Yggdrasil trees made for dealing with pollution. I've played through Untold 1 and 4, and I know enough about 3 that know that its tree isn't one of the original 7 because that tree is actually an alien from outer space trying to keep another alien from escaping the depths of the ocean or whatever. I also know that Untold 1 says that one of the Yggdrasils was already destroyed by a Gungnir unit. So with all that in mind, of the original 7 trees, 1 is destroyed before EO1, 1 is the main tree of EO1, 1 is the main tree of EO2, 1 is the main tree of EO4, and I haven't played 5 or Nexus but I assume they have their own trees as well, which adds up to 6 of the original 7 Yggdrasils being accounted for. Do any of the games mention the 7th tree? Does it get retconned or explained or do they just not bring it up?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

this would own

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fraNl2PTpSc

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1403115470547415041

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Thinking about opening a portal to The Mana Tree and seizing its power for myself.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
It's weird how Elden ring is an open world game. It looks like it's just a souls game that you can get on a horse sometimes to go between areas? if that's open world then sure? The combat seems to be on foot though.

To try to articulate it better: in the witcher, you go on quests, find new areas, talk to lots and lots of npcs. In Elden ring I can't imagine it having more than about twenty npcs to talk to, much stuff to gather, towns to visit. Maybe I'm wrong but ?????. Still hyped for another From game though, either way.

edit: the open world looks bleak and dead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

redreader posted:

It's weird how Elden ring is an open world game. It looks like it's just a souls game that you can get on a horse sometimes to go between areas? if that's open world then sure? The combat seems to be on foot though.

To try to articulate it better: in the witcher, you go on quests, find new areas, talk to lots and lots of npcs. In Elden ring I can't imagine it having more than about twenty npcs to talk to, much stuff to gather, towns to visit. Maybe I'm wrong but ?????. Still hyped for another From game though, either way.

Dark Souls 2 was originally going to be more of an open world game and I would make the argument that the original King's Field 2 was open world as well, that it stuck you at a specific starting point and then almost the entire world was open for exploration but you had to figure out how to get there or how to get the keys to get there. Dark Souls was similar. If open world in this case is pretty much just having more wide-open spaces with more freedom for how you progress, then that's fine, as long as by open world they don't mean like the frigid outskirts from Dark Souls 2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

redreader posted:

Still managed to work well for Shadow of Colossus.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

redreader posted:

what are you talking about. on whaht plant do the words "open world" mean "npcs and towns". it justmeans the world, is open.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

redreader posted:

I think it could be neat, their past games have featured worlds that kind of tie into eachother in one big landscape, albeit abstracted and broken up by a few loading zones, as befitting the hazy purgatorial world the games are in. It would be odd to not have things gated by bosses or items or anything, but I have confidence they'll make a good open-world shaped big map. I liked the slightly more alive and talkative NPCs in Sekiro, I can see them doing that mixed in with typical hollowed out types.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It is blowing my mind that somehow souls games arent considered open world. Ubisoft has broken everyone

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You only climb like one tower

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dark Souls can't be open world because there are no cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope Elden Ring is like BotW and you can go straight to Mr Elden and fight him for his ring, skipping all of the other bosses and content, which ultimately makes for a better fight because if you do beat the bosses, it just removes entire phases from Mr Elden's fight so it's really anti-climactic when you finally get around to him.