Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any big changes in Black Mesa from the originals I should know?
The On A Rail cart now has physics and can hold objects (spare ammo, medic packs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Anything for Solasta: Crown of the Magister (does "don't impulse buy it" count?)?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Gun Jam posted:

Anything for Solasta: Crown of the Magister (does "don't impulse buy it" count?)?

Never played it, but it's on gamepass for Windows, so you could at least impulse buy it cheaper than you might think.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Roboquest just had a big patch that reworked basically every single system. I haven't had time to play it (since the update just dropped today), only read the patch notes, but if someone could just put a warning at the top of the page that it is out of date until I can get some gameplay in, that would be appreciated.

Fortunately a lot of the stuff that was not clearly communicated to the player is what got patched and replaced with systems that appear to make more sense if the patch notes are to be believed, so the new page will likely be much smaller.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Zaodai posted:

Roboquest just had a big patch that reworked basically every single system.
I saw those patch notes crop up onto my Steam news feed too, pretty massive overhaul it seems, I might have to reinstall the game to give it another go, I wasn't feeling it much the first time around and after unlock the entire base camp I had to desire to keep playing. If nothing else, share your thoughts on these changes. For better or worse.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gun Jam posted:

It's quite a straightforward game, really. I think it's worth playing :)

- A lot of treasure can only be gained if you have traversal spells. There's one that lets you jump further, one that lets you climb walls and one that lets you teleport. This treasure is generally worth it, so investing in those spells is a good idea.
- Make sure you have a someone with Detect Magic and Identify, the former lets you detect if an item is magic and worth casting the latter on.
- If you find an item that is described as "Magnificent" or "Superb" then it is magic, don't sell it!
- Cantrip spells are viable attack spells throughout the game, wizards don't need to really bother with having a bow or something to fight with, like in older DnD versions
- Light is important! Make sure you have a way of creating light, or you'll be screwed (unless you rolled an Elf/Dwarf party since they all have darkvision).
- On a related note, Light is good versus many kinds of undead (especially vampires)

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So a quick question about Saga Frontier. Never played the original release but I've loved Romancing Saga 3 as just a chill game I explore at my pleasure. Never finished it but I spent a lot of time just doing random sidequests desperately trying to figure poo poo out. Since Saga games are weird, can someone confirm that's still the case for Saga Frontier?

Not after gameplay tips beyond that as I enjoy the trial/error of Romancing Saga 3 and am hoping this scratches the same itch

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
You're gonna have a great time.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Nyeehg posted:

So a quick question about Saga Frontier. Never played the original release but I've loved Romancing Saga 3 as just a chill game I explore at my pleasure. Never finished it but I spent a lot of time just doing random sidequests desperately trying to figure poo poo out. Since Saga games are weird, can someone confirm that's still the case for Saga Frontier?

Not after gameplay tips beyond that as I enjoy the trial/error of Romancing Saga 3 and am hoping this scratches the same itch

Some of the characters stories feel a bit more frantic or railroaded than others, but there are a few that are entirely open ended.
Yes, they'll probably scratch the same itch

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nyeehg posted:

I haven't played the remake yet, but have many hours of Saga Frontier.

* Koorong is the international airport hub, that airport has a ~second page~ of locations.

* Magic Gift quests are mutually exclusive, but like that's ok.

*T260-G, Red, Asellus, Emma for more curated stories. Riki and Blue for more freeform sidequests checklist experience. Lute is... the empty character to breath the world in with go directly to Nelson to ATTACK AND DETHRONE GOD.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Im_Special posted:

I saw those patch notes crop up onto my Steam news feed too, pretty massive overhaul it seems, I might have to reinstall the game to give it another go, I wasn't feeling it much the first time around and after unlock the entire base camp I had to desire to keep playing. If nothing else, share your thoughts on these changes. For better or worse.
[EDIT] - This is not advice for the wiki, this is specifically in response to Special's question.

Initial quick thoughts from 3 or 4 runs of experience: Game feels harder, even on normal, to me now than it did. I think that's mostly due to the change to healing mechanics (which they hotfixed today and I haven't had a chance to play with) There are more weapons that drop, but less guaranteed places for them so you're less likely to just grab a gun you're comfortable with and clean house. The classes feel less badly balanced now (the shield class now has it be a bubble rather than a static shield without a perk, and it's invuln for a short duration instead of damage reduction, engineer doesn't have that stupid scrap mechanic, the stealth class is less overtly broken) and you can level weapons up every couple of stages for the cost of Wrenches. Elemental damage still feels kind of blah.

If you were steamrolling it before, it's far less steamrolly now. If you were having trouble before, give a shot but expect to not get quite as far as before. I made it to Haven City, on normal, one out of 4 times. And then got absolutely demolished basically out of nowhere by one of the big miniboss guys. The reduction in stats might contribute, since now instead of getting cores that give you +2/3/4/5 in two stats, you get a +1 bonus to one stat from a chest. So your stats are far less spread out and you really have to choose early on what you're hoping to main in, because you're not going to be able to pivot.

I've intentionally avoided just taking sniper weapons, and I haven't found a heavy crossbow at all since the nerf. I imagine if you just take the most accurate, highest alpha weapon you can find it'll still do the job. I will say one thing that does feel nice is that you see the end game type weapons more frequently since they can drop from enemies. If you liked the beam minigun or something, you're a lot more likely to see it in a run now because you're not just banking on seeing it in one chest.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Zaodai posted:

*roboquest stuff*

Somehow I've never even heard of this game at all. It looks pretty nice though, and I really like roguelite action games. Worth paying for you think?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Anything for Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 4?

I did a little digging and read the recaps of the first three games. I already know the good ending is basically unmissable, but the combat system looks pretty complex, so I am sure there are a few "This is important" and "This is a waste of time" aspects to it. There is also some sort of companion bond level thing. Is this one of those "If you don't wibble the blue gizmo behind a crate on the third floor of castle grimskull, you don't get to see the final scene with X" type deals, or are they generally signposted things? I don't aim to to hard mode difficulty for my first run.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GhostBoy posted:

Anything for Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 4?

I did a little digging and read the recaps of the first three games. I already know the good ending is basically unmissable, but the combat system looks pretty complex, so I am sure there are a few "This is important" and "This is a waste of time" aspects to it. There is also some sort of companion bond level thing. Is this one of those "If you don't wibble the blue gizmo behind a crate on the third floor of castle grimskull, you don't get to see the final scene with X" type deals, or are they generally signposted things? I don't aim to to hard mode difficulty for my first run.

For starters if you've only read recaps for the Cold Steel games you're about four games short of story to get caught up for Cold Steel 4 :v:. CS4's the BIG culmination for the Trails in the Sky and Trails of Azure/Trails to Zero series as well (about eight prior games of buildup in all, from memory). You'd honestly be much better off starting from Cold Steel 3 at the very least, as CS4's an immediate continuation of it rather than it's own story and does a much better job of teaching game mechanics. Cold Steel 1's well worth starting from as well if you have a platform that can play it, as it's typically cheaper to buy than CS4 anyway.

The Trails games are pretty dense story-wise and you've picked probably the worst spot to jump in relatively-blind.

If you really absolutely have your heart set on jumping at the end of the story, everything's generally highlighted on your map, every chapter typically has a hidden extra sidequest somewhere (just look for the green tick). Nothing is completely missable, you'll have opportunities to buy stuff you can't get to the vendor for anymore later in the game, if not be able to revisit that location later.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For starters if you've only read recaps for the Cold Steel games you're about four games short of story to get caught up for Cold Steel 4 :v:. CS4's the BIG culmination for the Trails in the Sky and Trails of Azure/Trails to Zero series as well (about eight prior games of buildup in all, from memory). You'd honestly be much better off starting from Cold Steel 3 at the very least, as CS4's an immediate continuation of it rather than it's own story and does a much better job of teaching game mechanics. Cold Steel 1's well worth starting from as well if you have a platform that can play it, as it's typically cheaper to buy than CS4 anyway.

The Trails games are pretty dense story-wise and you've picked probably the worst spot to jump in relatively-blind.

If you really absolutely have your heart set on jumping at the end of the story, everything's generally highlighted on your map, every chapter typically has a hidden extra sidequest somewhere (just look for the green tick). Nothing is completely missable, you'll have opportunities to buy stuff you can't get to the vendor for anymore later in the game, if not be able to revisit that location later.

Thanks. Good to know things are generally not missable. :) As for the backstory... I don't really have the time to play another 40-50 hour game, just to grok the battle system a bit better and catch a few nuances of story. I certainly don't have time to play 3 of them. I'm fine with the fact that I won't get absolutely everything that the game talks about.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GhostBoy posted:

Thanks. Good to know things are generally not missable. :) As for the backstory... I don't really have the time to play another 40-50 hour game, just to grok the battle system a bit better and catch a few nuances of story. I certainly don't have time to play 3 of them. I'm fine with the fact that I won't get absolutely everything that the game talks about.

That's fair. If you just want A Game to play, I'd still recommend starting at Cold Steel 1. You get the start of the story, and the gameplay's just as good so there's really no need to single out CS4 as the one to jump in at. It's also not so much nuance as the games are sequential like a dense and continuous novel series. Think like Game of Thrones, or The Expanse.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Play posted:

Somehow I've never even heard of this game at all. It looks pretty nice though, and I really like roguelite action games. Worth paying for you think?

The quality overall is good, and there is a decent amount of content for the cost. Especially right now, since it's 30% off until 6/22. It is, however, early access and they tend to their patching in big chunks rather than a constant trickle. They're not afraid to make changes to stuff people make feedback for and you can submit feedback from right in the client. Those changes are often sweeping, complete reworks of systems or complete rebalances. Usually for the better, but if not, they try and fix it in the next big patch.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've updated the MediaWiki installation to 1.36. Let me know in this thread if you notice anything strange.

Edit: I also updated the logo a little bit. I made that thing years ago.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 12, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just started CYBERPUNK 2077 and wiki is pretty light. Any trap builds, etc. I should know about?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

1redflag posted:

Just started CYBERPUNK 2077 and wiki is pretty light. Any trap builds, etc. I should know about?

Number matters, but not really. You can gain satisfaction from engaging in the systems that make number go up, but it is hella not necessary.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

1redflag posted:

When I last played it in January, there were some perks in the hacking tree that didn't actually do anything at all. Maybe they fixed them, maybe they didn't, so I guess I'd say 'Save before spending perks and see if they work or not'.

Oh and they made it so you can't System Reset (a 1 hit KO quickhack) cyberpsychos, so if that was a tip before, you actually have to fight them now.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Gonna start cool game Hacknet, hot hot tips appreciated.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Having just played through it, it is pretty self explanatory. The DLC occurs within the normal campaign, so if you're interested in it you may want to go ahead and get it now.

There is no trace net node hopping like Uplink. Delete your logs before you disconnect from a machine and don't be connected when an active trace hits 0 and you'll be good.

Learn the text commands and how to navigate without using the GUI. It's faster and will spare you some later grief.

The node map gets a little congested later on, it may be a good idea to keep important IPs written down on pen and paper.

The notepad function in the game takes up valuable ingame ram and can be duplicated with pen and paper or an instance of notepad open on another monitor.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

There's a chain of secret missions in the midgame, but you probably won't get it on your first run, especially since you have to do a fairly specific thing and if you proceed much farther down the main plotline, you lock yourself out of it.

If you decide to play a second time, remember to keep your shell traps up and that your own machine has logs, too. Then once you've followed the clues and have the opportunity for vengeance, don't escalate. Tit-for-tat.

Or, in more plain terms: When Naix tries to hack you and delete your x-server.sys, follow your logs to his proxy server, then from there to his real server, and delete his x-server.sys without deleting anything else. You're trying to annoy-but-impress him, not ruin him.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 15, 2021

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Surviving Mars was free on Humble this week, and the wiki page suggests that patches may have changed some stuff. Is it still accurate?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

There is a secret ending, but you probably won't get it on your first run.

If you decide to play a second time, remember to keep your shell traps up and that your own machine has logs, too.

Is that the Naix path?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

PJOmega posted:

The notepad function in the game takes up valuable ingame ram and can be duplicated with pen and paper or an instance of notepad open on another monitor.

Thanks! And I'm wondering if this is almost too on the nose, but that's PROBABLY good.

I have only so much cleverness, so I wouldn't be SHOCKED if I miss this, so marking it to remind me to read the spoilers later

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

1redflag posted:

No traps really. The crafting is not interesting.

1) Don't spend money on upgrading weapons. A mook is always going to drop a better weapon within the hour. By upgrading I mean go to the crafting menu and spending mats on upgrading the gear.

2) Weapon mods are cheap so use those. And there's no harm in buying them. Its useful to have a few silencers in the inventory should you get a better pistol. Same with clothing mods.

3) You get a maximum of 50 ability points so you can't max everything out

4) Your ability point score limits your skills. So if you have 12 cool the max stealth and coldblood can be improved by playing is 12. Skills are improved by using them like in an elder scrolls game. So you can points into reflex, then perks into rifles but you'll also get level up rifles as a skill by killing people with rifles. The same goes for killing people with shotguns etc, until you hit the ability limit.

5) Check the later perks. The most important perks can be gotten before maxing the ability.

6) Get the double jump legs as soon as possible. They vastly increase your mobility.

7) More or less everything will get super strong if you invest. Hacking will let you kill everyone in a building without setting foot in it. The tech rifles will let you shoot through the walls for massive damage. Stealth and revolvers will let you do insane headshot damage.

8)Getting upgraded eyes will let you put mods on them. Some of these are very strong, 50% bonus headshot damage, highlight enemies that knows where you are (combined with the tech rifle letting you shoot them through cover) and slow time on the enemy starting to spot you, which means you can just get back behind cover or shoot them before they can get to fight mode.

9) Do some hacking stuff even if you don't invest in it. Turning off the cameras, pinging and some other low grade stuff can be very effective

10) Don't get the perk that auto turns junk into mats. Unless you're going full crafting the junk is better off being turned into money.

11) The level design is very Deus Ex, so there's always a vent or a ledge you can avoid the front door with.

12) Do the level appropriate stuff. When the game opens up the rest of the map to you if you go to the stuff it tells you is super hard the game will just kill you.

13) The throwing knife stuff is poo poo, unless they fixed it. You lose the knife you throw so unless you are carrying around 20 of them its going to be a pain in the rear end to use.

14) There are a bunch of perks that give you damage increases to all damage, those are worth investing in. So like in heavy weapons there is a perk to increased torso damage for everything. You mostly want to click the heads but that's not a bad one to have. I think cold blooded has one for headshot damage

15) Keep the clothes that increase crit chance. You can eventually stack to 100%

16) Most players will probably have a lot in reflex because that's rifles and pistols. The early perks for 3% damage aren't really worth it when you can put the perks in other useful things like hp. The important perks are down the tree a little bit.

17) Its not a big deal really but some jobs don't want you killing anyone. These differ from the jobs where they want you to stealth. There's a gun mod that will turn the damage non lethal so if you get annoyed you can just slap one of those on and shoot everyone. The only difference is the fixer will be lovely on the phone with you and give you less money if you kill people.

18) A late addition, if you are putting points into an ability its probably for one of the specific trees. Like you put perks into reflex because you want to be good with rifles, which are very good. You can also chop fuckers up with a katana when you have points in reflex. If you know an encounter is going to be relatively easy there's no reason not to have some fun with a knife. You'll get blades xp for that and some free perks out of it. The same goes for the other perk trees. If you like shotguns, there's no good reason to punch out low mobs.

19) Another late addition. You start out with an operating system installed. For simplicity sake its basically your spell casting device. You put the hacks you have on to the the OS and you use the OS to cast the hacks. The hacks have cool downs like mmo spells and you sort of have mana in the form of buffer. You can buy better operating systems that do more damage, have more mana etc. But you might not give a poo poo about spells. What you can do instead of spells is install an other option. There's one type of OS that gives you on demand bullet time and another for melee characters that puts you into beast mode. So if you put nothing into spells maybe max payne mode or hulk mode are more your speed.

Sorry to clarify, the casting thing for that slot is actually called a cyberdeck. The operating system is when you think gently caress spells I want to punch very very hard

20) If you're going to do the boxing quest you need gorilla arms. You'll have to put some points into the punching tree as well, not many. Maybe 6 or so. Heal on punch damage, stagger chance. The game is pretty generous with perk points and its not a big deal to throw some into skills you don't use that often.

Of the body weapon mods I found gorilla arms the most fun. The options are gorilla arms (punching), mantis blades (stabbing) monowire (kind of like a shiny whip) and rocker launcher. I never tried the rocker launcher. Monowire feels weak. Mantis blades didn't feel fast to me, especially compared to just using a katana. Gorilla arms were fine though.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 15, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Is that the Naix path?
Yeah. And oops, forgot something, editing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Thanks! And I'm wondering if this is almost too on the nose, but that's PROBABLY good.

I have only so much cleverness, so I wouldn't be SHOCKED if I miss this, so marking it to remind me to read the spoilers later

In one of the color commentary seeming files it specifically calls out that users can replicate the functionality without using in system resources, as a bit of a tongue-in-cheek nod to the nature of it. And since you can't cut and paste to or from the notepad it's really a slapped together 'feature.'

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

There is a secret ending, but you probably won't get it on your first run, especially since you have to do a fairly specific thing and if you proceed much farther down the main plotline, you lock yourself out of it.

If you decide to play a second time, remember to keep your shell traps up and that your own machine has logs, too. Then once you've followed the clues and have the opportunity for vengeance, don't escalate. Tit-for-tat.

Or, in more plain terms: When Naix tries to hack you and delete your x-server.sys, follow your logs to his proxy server, then from there to his real server, and delete his x-server.sys without deleting anything else. You're trying to annoy-but-impress him, not ruin him.

I'd recommend doing this on your second run, not your first. It's a pretty dramatically different ending, and the main ending's final mission is very much worth experiencing.

Huh, I did this in my runthrough because, well, vengeance. thought it simply gave a different path in the middle of the game, had no idea it gave a different final mission.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Huh, I did this in my runthrough because, well, vengeance. thought it simply gave a different path in the middle of the game, had no idea it gave a different final mission.
Wait, gently caress, it's the expansion that has multiple endings, and that's pretty straightforward. :doh: Editing again.

I really need to replay this drat game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of multiple endings, I'm reaching the end of persona 4 golden now and it is DEFINITELY a good idea to use a guide because it's a little obtuse, I nearly just missed the true final ending and dungeon because of a non-obvious choice.

I assumed that "Do you want to go back to your house?" after the final victory lap of saying goodbye to all your friends was just a courtesy fast travel option after wrapping up all your final business when in fact it is asking you if you would like to see the actual final ending or not, I'd have never guessed without a guide. Fortunately there's some good spoiler-free ones out there.

I liked the game, but I'm getting the same thing as P5 where I'm definitely ready for it to end now. Also Teddie needs to be canceled and i can't believe none of the characters are talking about this

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anything for In Other Waters?

Currently wondering how important the secondary objectives are and if certain milestones in the plot need to be reached before tackling them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any tips for the new pokemon snap?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Have fun, don't stress about trying to complete the missions that pop up. Those are mostly to give you hints on how to set up unusual Pokemon behaviors. Actually trying to complete them all will make you very mad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Have fun, don't stress about trying to complete the missions that pop up. Those are mostly to give you hints on how to set up unusual Pokemon behaviors. Actually trying to complete them all will make you very mad.

you pinpointed the exact thing that made me put the game down earlier, glad to hear it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

flatluigi posted:

It's not as fun as selecting them yourself but if you are shooting for the highest score then don't be afraid to use the auto-picker during the results screen. It seems to pick the highest score automatically which is helpful when you have a bunch of very similar photos.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

And if you do really want to complete them all, use a guide. Some of them are very obtuse and not easily figured out by just playing.

Also, don't be ashamed to use a guide to get all the different star photos. There are more than a few that are very specific (looking at vespiquen's 3-star).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

FF7 Remake

- If you press the charge button during Barret's recovery animation from his basic attack, Overcharge will recharge for free.

There has to be a better way to phrase that, though.

Also:

- At several points you get better or different awards based on how many sidequests you finish.
- Some chapters will have side/quests jobs available. Doing them all will unlock extra goodies/more cut-scenes down the line.

seem redundant to me; I think the top one is better since some cutscenes require completing chapters while skipping sidequests