Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ah, got it. Yeah, I'm not forcing 24 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Let me know if Apple+ shows default to subtitles on for you, cause it does for me on my Hisense.

Looks like it does, just opened the app and played three different shows that I've never played before and all had subtitles.

bull3964 posted:

Regular Hulu. Switch output to 24fps (well 23.976) and let me know if your audio is even within 5 seconds of the action on the screen.

Works at 60p, but that's not optimal.

Worked fine for me. I never had adjusted that before, but I pulled up a couple of shows, fast forwarded a bit, let it play, and it was fine. Commercials and shows were in sync while I was testing. I did notice that it seemed to make my menus feel a bit a slower so I set it back to default.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Silly Burrito posted:

Looks like it does, just opened the app and played three different shows that I've never played before and all had subtitles.

Bummer

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any suggestions for wall mounts to match a leviton in wall box? I have a sanus now but at my new place I'm not sure what I should look for or how to mount.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Silly Burrito posted:

Worked fine for me. I never had adjusted that before, but I pulled up a couple of shows, fast forwarded a bit, let it play, and it was fine. Commercials and shows were in sync while I was testing. I did notice that it seemed to make my menus feel a bit a slower so I set it back to default.

I'll have to try again then and see if they actually fixed it, been awhile since I tired Hulu on Android tv

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No dice, just tried it on a fresh install of Hulu on my shield 2019. 4k 23.976hz just has random freezes of the video on the title cards for the show and then doesn't do anything other than audio. Exiting the video and restarting has it in sync for a bit, but then it will glitch and get further and further out of sync.

I have commercial free Hulu and I wonder if ironically the switch between the content and commercials is the thing that fixes it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

No dice, just tried it on a fresh install of Hulu on my shield 2019. 4k 23.976hz just has random freezes of the video on the title cards for the show and then doesn't do anything other than audio. Exiting the video and restarting has it in sync for a bit, but then it will glitch and get further and further out of sync.

I have commercial free Hulu and I wonder if ironically the switch between the content and commercials is the thing that fixes it.

That might be why too, I don't have 4K in the front, just my 1080p plasma from 2008. :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

After massive backlash, they fixed the AppleTV HBO Max app. Native player is back.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i genuinely don't know what the best thread to ask this question is, so here it goes:

my parents have been juggling 3 remotes to control their TV, Soundbar, and Roku+ streaming stick. The TV is samsung and the soundbar is vizio.

they bought the harmony hub, on my recommendation, since its one of the few harmony devices that is compatible with the roku stick. i got it all set up for them, and it works great, minus that they are boomers who get confused easily about.... everything.

so my question is, did they need to spend $150 to get this setup? are there cheaper remotes that can do this that i was just outright failing to find in my research? it seems the market for programmable remotes is dying, with logitech discontinuing their harmony products and the only other options i can find are insanely expensive or this sofabaton remote from amazon. which just seems really weird, which makes me think that i'm out of the loop on how people work their home theater setups these days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

People rely on CEC and then complain when it never works as expected. Most people are just using their TV apps and MAYBE a cable box so they don't have much to juggle.

There's nothing else out there that really has the concept of activities where youu set a run state for components and then have the buttons blended for everything.

Sofabaton is more a traditional universal remote where you switch its context between various devices. It can do macros and you can reassign buttons for cross device purposes (for example, when you are using TV, you can remap the volume keys to control soundbar volume), but it's not quite the same as an activity.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 9, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So what was the problem with just using the Roku + remote to control the Soundbar Volume and have it turn the TV on and Off?

ARC the soundbar to the TV, use CEC for the Roku Stick. Roku remote should have side volume buttons that then control the sound bar level once you set the TV output to HDMI-ARC???

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FilthyImp posted:

So what was the problem with just using the Roku + remote to control the Soundbar Volume and have it turn the TV on and Off?

ARC the soundbar to the TV, use CEC for the Roku Stick. Roku remote should have side volume buttons that then control the sound bar level once you set the TV output to HDMI-ARC???

Only problem with this is if you need to switch inputs on your TV. If you're *only* using the streaming stick input it's fine... but otherwise you can't change input.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i've been looking into it since my post, since CEC was something i didn't know existed, and it turns out that their entertainment setup is just a big giant incompatible mess that i lucked out by getting them the harmony hub set up for it.

their particular vizio soundbar doesn't have any HDMI ports AND it doesn't have input learning, and the roku stick seemingly is the only device roku makes that barely works with any universal remotes.

so i think the solution in this case, if i wanted to save them some money, would be to sell/return the roku stick & harmony hub, buy a roku device that accepts IR remote input + a cheap learning/universal remote?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Too Many Birds posted:

i've been looking into it since my post, since CEC was something i didn't know existed, and it turns out that their entertainment setup is just a big giant incompatible mess that i lucked out by getting them the harmony hub set up for it.

their particular vizio soundbar doesn't have any HDMI ports AND it doesn't have input learning, and the roku stick seemingly is the only device roku makes that barely works with any universal remotes.

so i think the solution in this case, if i wanted to save them some money, would be to sell/return the roku stick & harmony hub, buy a roku device that accepts IR remote input + a cheap learning/universal remote?

First, what all do they need the tv for? Just Roku streaming?

edit: If they are just using the TV for streaming - might be best to just get something like the Roku Streambar. It's a soundbar and roku device all in one.

https://www.roku.com/products/audio/roku-streambar-pro

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 9, 2021

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

they still watch broadcast tv, no cable or dish subscription. occasionally they will watch a blu-ray on it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Too Many Birds posted:

they still watch broadcast tv, no cable or dish subscription. occasionally they will watch a blu-ray on it.

This might be overkill, but in this case... is a new TV an option? Just returning all of that and getting a Roku TV? That way it's all handled with one single remote and zero external devices (minus the blu-ray player).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Too Many Birds posted:

Probably so. My parents are horrible with TVs but even I've got them to understand that the input button switches input. Get one of those cheap GE remotes with big buttons, and bonus if you can label the inputs on your TV so that when you press it, it says DVD/TV/ROKU (or whatever terms they would prefer).

They also make cheapish Harmony remotes too. One comes on sale at Amazon for 30-40 bucks. Edit: Well apparently they did but they are hiked up in price now.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 9, 2021

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

eh, they have a pretty decent TV already. this all started because my step-dad needed a new streaming device that had some christian fundie streaming network on it, because the mobile app version wasn't able to cast to their 1st or 2nd gen chromecast for some reason. he then duct taped the TV, Roku, and sound bar remotes together on a stick so he wouldn't lose track of them. i found that appalling and so thats where we ended up with the harmony hub.

and yeah i imagine the harmony remotes are only going to go up in price since they are discontinued at this point.

really i was just wondering how people got this stuff all working together these days, and i guess the answer is CEC and/or getting devices all in the same brand/family.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Too Many Birds posted:

eh, they have a pretty decent TV already. this all started because my step-dad needed a new streaming device that had some christian fundie streaming network on it, because the mobile app version wasn't able to cast to their 1st or 2nd gen chromecast for some reason. he then duct taped the TV, Roku, and sound bar remotes together on a stick so he wouldn't lose track of them. i found that appalling and so thats where we ended up with the harmony hub.

and yeah i imagine the harmony remotes are only going to go up in price since they are discontinued at this point.

really i was just wondering how people got this stuff all working together these days, and i guess the answer is CEC and/or getting devices all in the same brand/family.

I have that sofabaton u1 and other than the clicky buttons it's fine. You can often find it for $35 so the investment to try it is not much.

Otherwise the Roku streambar would at least get you to two remotes instead of three.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Too Many Birds posted:

Maybe try the Slideclick?
https://www.amazon.com/Sideclick-Universal-Remote-Attachment-Streaming/dp/B07D5JDM3N

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Goddammit!

I just found out why my Nintendo Switch always looked so bad on my LG C1. There's a setting buried way deep in the "Support" menu called "adjust logo brightness" that apparently messes with the brightness to keep things like the CNN logo from burning into the screen. I had turned that off before but apparently you have to turn it off for each HDMI input.

I turned it off and the picture from my Switch started looking normal again. Same sort of thing happened with an "auto energy saving" feature on my last TV. I hate that!

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

lmao gently caress me. the only downside is i don't think they'd be able to power on/off the TV and soundbar at the same time, so the soundbar would just have to stay on i guess, which isn't the end of the world. [Edit: well the roku remote could power on the TV, and the sideclick could power on the soundbar, still not ideal but]

i'll pitch either that or the sofabaton + upgraded roku device to them. chances are they are just gonna stick with the harmony hub, i just feel dumb that i couldn't figure out something smarter for the amount of time i initially put into researching this.

Too Many Birds fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 9, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wait so the Harmony is discontinued now? And presumably the software won't get updated?

Well poo poo.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
is there anything to be done if my Vizio P65-F1 is showing a grid pattern of dark circles? you can't see it at all on most content but on solid fields of color (especially light colors, especially in panning shots) it's extremely annoying.

I assume the answer is "no," in which case I guess I'll have to replace it with a CX instead, so not the end of the world. but if there's a setting I should be adjusting that would be useful information.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

yeah logitech says they are still supporting the software for now but no specific timeframe was given.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Too Many Birds posted:

yeah logitech says they are still supporting the software for now but no specific timeframe was given.

Is there anything else that's comparable to the Harmony? Presumably not because we only talk about Logitech?

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

read this article about the death of harmony and it offered 3 alternatives.

caavo, which you cant buy due to covid supply chain issues.

sevenhugs, which was acquired by another company for their wideband tech. their remotes are nearly impossible to find

crestron, which is $$$$$$$$$

basically CEC and ARC helped alleviate a lot of remote juggling issues, and streaming killed the need for physical media players, which removed more remotes from the equation.

article also points out that most people probably just dont really give a gently caress about having a remote that can start up multiple devices with a single press.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone got to come up with a lil hub thing that you connect everything to kinda like an AV receiver but without the amplifier, that you then can control with the one remote that comes bundled with it. Like for example I got my parents a junky RCA LCD in 2013 or else they'd honestly still be using the floor model and I'm not joking, but what am I sposed to do for them for sound when the only way to control anything else is with a separate remote which they also wont be able to operate? These are some original boomers and make changing the input out to sound like programming an OS from scratch. I even had an old CD player with aux connected for a while, and their universal cable remote from the cable company set to control the audio on that and nope, that was still too complicated cause it all didn't turn on the same time. I'm getting so irrationally mad thinking about it all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will say it again.....

gently caress every AV manufacturer for not coming together and providing a common API interface that lets you change every setting on your equipment to a specific value with a simple call.

It would be harmony on steroids and open for anyone to develop an app and automation. Want to change your tint to 53 while watching Disney+ and 48 when watching YouTube TV? Sure, no problem. Want to set the audio delay to 100ms while watching Roku and 107ms when watching a UHD disc? Great, you got it.

Clicking through 5 levels of menus to change one setting is something straight out of the 1990s. The whole industry is behind the times.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

I will say it again.....

gently caress every AV manufacturer for not coming together and providing a common API interface that lets you change every setting on your equipment to a specific value with a simple call.

It would be harmony on steroids and open for anyone to develop an app and automation. Want to change your tint to 53 while watching Disney+ and 48 when watching YouTube TV? Sure, no problem. Want to set the audio delay to 100ms while watching Roku and 107ms when watching a UHD disc? Great, you got it.

Clicking through 5 levels of menus to change one setting is something straight out of the 1990s. The whole industry is behind the times.

The worst thing is it doesn't even need to be standard, it just needs to be DOCUMENTED. The nerd community would happily fill in the gaps for bridging protocols together through something like Home Assistant if the manufacturers would just publish their loving interfaces, but then that might allow third party app control where they couldn't show ads or get telemetry so that's obviously never going to happen in the mortal consumer price bracket.

If we're going to say "gently caress the entire industry for this one thing" then I'd focus on anything that says "professional install only". gently caress that bullshit to the ends of the earth. Crestron, Control4, etc. even if I had infinite money I'd avoid them wherever possible for that reason alone. I want to be able to play with my own equipment.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I know people love the TCL 6 Series, but is there any issues with the 5 I should know about? This is going in the bedroom and mostly for playing on the PS5. Don't really want to drop $1000+ on an OLED for the bedroom. And if 4k 120hz becomes the thing, I can always upgrade.

My issue is size. 43 inch is perfect but I don't think TCL makes one in the 6 Series.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-43-Class-4K-UHD-LED-Roku-Smart-TV-HDR-5-Series-43S525/841795133

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Keep in mind that any console will still struggle to do 4k60 unless its some indie game which is prob locked at 60 or less regardless so dont worry too much about it.

While I'm waiting for my AVR to be fixed, have everything plugged into the 6 series directly. Shield keeps triggering the CEC somehow and switching inputs, especially fun while gf is playing xbox and it just changes to the Shield for no reason. I haven't had time to gently caress with it but she said she read it has something to do with CEC and disabling it is the only option. Never had an issue while routing everything through the AVR.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

codo27 posted:

Keep in mind that any console will still struggle to do 4k60 unless its some indie game which is prob locked at 60 or less regardless so dont worry too much about it.
This isn't really true anymore. 4K60 is pretty much the new standard, and there are dozens of Xbox games that offer 120fps modes now too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have a PC with a GeForce 3070 that I'd like to connect to my CX. It's in the same room technically, but around the corner with a bathroom and a closet along the wall between the two so I'll need 35-40 feet of wire to get there without creating a trip hazard.

This cable should support the full capabilities of HDMI 2.1, correct? https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-138627-Ultra-Speed-Cable/dp/B07Y2CYGWR/

There seem to be a bunch of no-name cables at half the price. Can anyone vouch for any of those or are they not worth the hassle?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
At that length you're definitely going to need a fiber optic cable. Amazon is a total crap shoot though so I really don't have much advice to offer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, of the three brands I trust for video cables (Monoprice, Cable Matters, AmazonBasics) the only one that seems to be selling fiber HDMI 2.1 cables in the length range I need is Monoprice, then there are a bunch of no-name fiber cables half of which are in the same price range and half of which are in the $80-90 range.

I have no trouble buying the Monoprice, just holding out a bit of hope that someone has tried one of the cheap ones and that it actually worked.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

1. Costco now has the C1 listed online.
2. I want a full motion wall mount suitable for a 77" OLED. Are these basically commodities at this point or is the $320 Sanus Premium FluidMotion(tm) thing actually worth the extra cost?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

is the $320 Sanus Premium FluidMotion(tm) thing actually worth the extra cost?

Good loving god no

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know the first thing about wall mounts but they seem like an odd thing to cheap out on considering what's at stake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm in the market for a 75 inch TV... We mostly do Netflix/Plex content, occasionally sports.

I usually go with The Wirecutter for recommendations but I wanted to check with you goons would suggest for my use case and current electronics climate.