Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

lol I went through the exact same journey reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Criterion Channel is going to start doing live special screenings, and oh boy does this suck

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gripweed posted:

The Criterion Channel is going to start doing live special screenings, and oh boy does this suck

holy lmao

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I watched Tokaido Yotsuya kaidan the other night and couldn't believe this movie was made in 1959. I really wish it were available on BD.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gripweed posted:

I can't wait for Chris Cuomo to do Broadcast News.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
about to sign up for the criterion channel 14 day trial

anybody got any sweet promo codes?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

With the news of Amazon buying MGM, is anyone else concerned about the future of Criterion's MGM-licensed titles? I might use the next B&N sale to grab some of the MGM titles I don't have yet. Just in case.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I’d see those movies probably disappearing off the Channel when the time is up, although the question is how many MGM titles are there on Criterion that aren’t part of the catalog that Turner bought and ergo are out of Jeff Bezos’s hands

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Good possibility Amazon buying MGM doesn’t change much for licensing. Universal has been licensing stuff for the Channel despite Peacock, Disney just started licensing Fox titles despite Disney+ and Hulu, and even Warner has the thing with HBO Max where Janus stuff shows up there and Warner stuff shows up on the channel.

Amazon having their properties on both Prime and Criterion Channel mean more market share for them. Not to mention physical media.

One never knows, but remember that Comcast buying Universal resulting in them spending a million dollars to restore weird poo poo like King of Jazz or letting Kino Lorber do a UHD of Touch of Evil.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the companies aren't yet in a mentality of "EVERYTHING is exclusive to our service", even when Disney+ started they were licensing some of the earlier Marvel films to Amazon Prime, including The Avengers. They have some things exclusive but will license other stuff.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
am i right that amazon only bought the catalogue from 1986 (or thereabouts) and on? the rest of the catalogue was sold off ages ago iirc

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

fun hater posted:

am i right that amazon only bought the catalogue from 1986 (or thereabouts) and on? the rest of the catalogue was sold off ages ago iirc

The official announcement mentioned a film catalog of 4000 titles, and name dropped several produced well before the 80's.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Origami Dali posted:

The official announcement mentioned a film catalog of 4000 titles, and name dropped several produced well before the 80's.

i had to go back and look, if this new york times article is right, i think we're both right, they just sold the scrap to warner:

quote:

The e-commerce giant said on Wednesday that it would acquire the 97-year-old film and television studio for $8.45 billion — or about 40 percent more than other prospective buyers, including Apple and Comcast, thought MGM was worth. The studio, which had been shopped around for months, was once home to “more stars than the heavens,” as Louis B. Mayer liked to brag. But its vast production lot and pre-1986 film library were sold off decades ago. (Sony Pictures now occupies the lot, and Warner Bros. owns classic MGM films like “Singin’ in the Rain,” “The Wizard of Oz” and “Gone With the Wind.”)

quote:

Although its library is diminished, MGM still owns 4,000 older movies, including pre-1986 films that come from two MGM divisions, United Artists and Orion. Those movies include “Rocky,” “RoboCop,” “The Pink Panther,” “The Silence of the Lambs” and the James Bond catalog. Other titles include “Legally Blonde,” “Moonstruck,” “Basic Instinct,” “The Thomas Crown Affair” and “Tomb Raider.” (Fun fact: In true Hollywood fashion, MGM’s roaring lion mascot is lip-syncing; a cranky tiger sounded more ferocious.)

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

quote:

United Artists

This infamously includes The Alamo (1960), which MGM has repeatedly prevented 70mm restorations of, and may be in unrestorable condition at this point. All modern home video releases are from 35mm.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does the US edition of World of Wong Kar-wai also have this bizarre thing going on where every page of the included book is also a sleeve, even the ones without art cards in? Never seen anything like it before. It’s funny that they also have art on the inside that you can barely see

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Does the US edition of World of Wong Kar-wai also have this bizarre thing going on where every page of the included book is also a sleeve, even the ones without art cards in? Never seen anything like it before. It’s funny that they also have art on the inside that you can barely see

Yes.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I hope the Netflix deal means army of the dead gets added to the collection

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

That's a french fold.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's a french fold.

Like how I made birthday cards as a kid? It looks really cool, I’ve just never seen it in a book like that before

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Here's an unsolicited recommendation of Funeral Parade of Roses on the channel

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Ingmar terdman posted:

I will second that recommendation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

Arbelos has a very nice release of this on blu-ray: https://shoparbelosfilms.com/collections/blu-ray/products/funeral-parade-of-roses-blu-ray

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Really great video from an unlikely source: https://youtu.be/iTBW6jbHgX0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

pospysyl posted:

Really great video from an unlikely source: https://youtu.be/iTBW6jbHgX0

I appreciate his more serious film and game crit, it's good

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What are the major gems leaving Criterion Channel this month?

I've seen:

The Thing
The Crazies
Experiment in Terror
Hard Eight
Season of the Witch
Hills Have Eyes
Duck Soup
Driller Killer
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
The Marx Bros stuff.
Images
To Sleep With Anger
Days of Heaven

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I liked Babylon a lot

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Franchescanado posted:

I've seen:

The Thing
The Crazies
Experiment in Terror
Hard Eight
Season of the Witch
Hills Have Eyes
Duck Soup
Driller Killer
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
The Marx Bros stuff.
Images
To Sleep With Anger
Days of Heaven

Is this because of the Amazon deal, or just a normal occurrence?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It’s completely normal. There’s a category on the site that shows what’s leaving every month.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I've seen:

The Thing
The Crazies
Experiment in Terror
Hard Eight
Season of the Witch
Hills Have Eyes
Duck Soup
Driller Killer
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
The Marx Bros stuff.
Images
To Sleep With Anger
Days of Heaven

McCabe & Mrs. Miller is probably a top 10 Western of all-time, so don't miss out on that one unless you just don't like Westerns.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is this because of the Amazon deal, or just a normal occurrence?

Amazon’s purchase of MGM is only affecting these films…

United Artists (1952-ish to present, though there’s a handful of pre-50s titles that didn’t revert to producers)
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (late May 1986 starting with Poltergeist II to present)
Orion Pictures (except for the early 1979-1981ish Warner coproductions)
American International (late-50s through early 80s)
Cannon (except for Warner coproductions like Cobra)
US rights to Embassy/Nelson (StudioCanal owns non-NA rights - films like The Graduate and This is Spinal Tap)
Lots of smaller libraries like Filmways, Gladden/Sherwood, Empire, Atlantic, The Samuel Goldwyn Company (not the pre-1960s films), Sigma III, etc.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Franchescanado posted:

I've seen:

The Thing
The Crazies
Experiment in Terror
Hard Eight
Season of the Witch
Hills Have Eyes
Duck Soup
Driller Killer
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
The Marx Bros stuff.
Images
To Sleep With Anger
Days of Heaven

Gilda
Babylon
Force of Evil
Caught
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
Awaara
House of Games

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Very excited to stream the American International library on Amazon.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

September titles

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1404909682309935111

Love & Basketball
Throw Down
Mona Lisa
The Damned

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

September titles

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1404909682309935111

Love & Basketball
Throw Down
Mona Lisa
The Damned

Melvin Van Peebles set looks real dope

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Really excited for Mona Lisa. I saw it on the channel last year and loved it

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Oh, hell yeah, The Damned really deserved a high-quality transfer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How's Throw Down? I grew up on Heroic Trio and Executioners because they aired on USA or TBS or whatever when I was a kid.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dangerous Person posted:

Really excited for Mona Lisa. I saw it on the channel last year and loved it

I remember catching it on either FilmStruck for the time that was alive or way back when it might have been on Netflix

It’s so drat good, Hoskins totally deserved the Oscar nom he got for it, kind of was a two man race with him and Newman for Color of Money and either was a good win

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mona Lisa indeed slaps.

What’s the Damned about? I love the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s the Damned about? I love the cover.

A rich family in early-30s Germany does business with the Nazis to maintain their status, and the family self-destructs