Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I wonder if that Witcher 3 "next gen" re-release is still even happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They delayed releasing any new content because of the state the game is in...but at the same time all their announced plans for the game are as if nothing happened and it's business as usual, some small free DLCs and an expansion or two are coming at some point as if all went according to plan. But they also stated that nothing went according to plan, the game didn't sell at all in 2021, it's still gone from the PSN, the hack was worse than expected, source code and employee data have been stolen. The messaging is so incredibly weird, disaster after disaster but also let's sit on our hands and do nothing but also this is actually all fine, time to pay out bonuses to ourselves for the great job that we did but also holy poo poo we're hosed. It basically comes down to a completely broken leadership unable to commit to anything, a tragedy for any business.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sasgrillo posted:

I wonder if that Witcher 3 "next gen" re-release is still even happening.
I'm not sure how'd they make any money off it anyway. everyone in the loving world has a copy already (sometimes for sub $10) and if they try to charge for it just lol

CDPR, please charge for the next gen upgrade. please. the hilarity would begin to rival star citizen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheAgent posted:

I'm not sure how'd they make any money off it anyway. everyone in the loving world has a copy already (sometimes for sub $10) and if they try to charge for it just lol

CDPR, please charge for the next gen upgrade. please. the hilarity would begin to rival star citizen

They already said they won't.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

They already said they won't.
yeah but did they say they wouldn't have lootboxes?!?!

assemble your ultimate witcher team and fight rival witcher schools in competitive online multiplayer, coming in the second half of the year

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How is gwent as a competitive game?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TheAgent posted:

yeah but did they say they wouldn't have lootboxes?!?!

assemble your ultimate witcher team and fight rival witcher schools in competitive online multiplayer, coming in the second half of the year

Witcher battle royale game.

Witcher 4.99 steam sexy puzzle game.

Witcher 12.99 'visual novels'.

Edit:

Witcher rogue-like.

Witcher rts.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Everything about the witcher 3 is cool except for the awful floaty combat.

I've bounced off the game about four times. I get to novograd and the thought of waving my swords through undetectable hit boxes for every one of those question marks just defeats me.

I want to love it, really.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Palpek posted:

They delayed releasing any new content because of the state the game is in...but at the same time all their announced plans for the game are as if nothing happened and it's business as usual, some small free DLCs and an expansion or two are coming at some point as if all went according to plan. But they also stated that nothing went according to plan, the game didn't sell at all in 2021, it's still gone from the PSN, the hack was worse than expected, source code and employee data have been stolen. The messaging is so incredibly weird, disaster after disaster but also let's sit on our hands and do nothing but also this is actually all fine, time to pay out bonuses to ourselves for the great job that we did but also holy poo poo we're hosed. It basically comes down to a completely broken leadership unable to commit to anything, a tragedy for any business.

they still have lots of money so they are going to keep making games. what else would they do. theres hundreds of posts exactly like this one ITT and i dont get it at all lol

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

CDPR botched the Gwent release with terrible balance problems that resulted in a solid apology and free stuff to last forever but it's gotten better in the past couple years and while there's still some problems balancing some abilities it shows that CDPR can actually get gameplay right if that's essential to success instead of cowering behind an expensive television show and pretty graphics. Not sure how they can keep newbies motivated to keep playing without more than a passing interest.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rinkles posted:

Gwent is literally rear end

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Thronebreaker is a neat game that uses the multiplayer version of Gwent as combat. It’s worth checking out if you like the Witcher world.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think the logic behind the enhanced W3 version is that it continues selling at the same rate even after it turns 10+ years old. Same reason that's behind the multiple Skyrim re-releases. Saying "everybody already has it" is silly. There are billions of people on the planet and more born every day.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Everything about the witcher 3 is cool except for the awful floaty combat.

I've bounced off the game about four times. I get to novograd and the thought of waving my swords through undetectable hit boxes for every one of those question marks just defeats me.

I want to love it, really.

Turn off the question marks.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

itry posted:

Turn off the question marks.
Seriously. Just as with CO2077, TW3's weakest part is the Ubisoft-like "visit all the question marks" open world stuff. You could also simply avoid picking up every minor thing from postboards and only grrab the sidequest-contracts.

This doubles as a bonus when you randomly stumble into one of the "?" locations and run into something unexpected in an organic way.

There are still waaay too many hours of great content even if you skip all the "?".

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 11, 2021

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So I noticed that Game UK has the PC collector's edition for sale right now... for half price? :catstare:

I was following this before launch and the PC CE preorders were already sold out something like a year before release. The price back then was £250. I think the console CEs were available for preorder though.

A half-price sale now, with stock somehow available, seems kinda... ominous I dunno

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

What's new here?

The severity of the hack seems to be bigger than just the source code for their games. It may also include employee and contractor data, which earlier CDPR denied was the case.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(Currently free on the EGS)

Thanks! I forgot to check this week! :hellyeah:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Archer666 posted:

The severity of the hack seems to be bigger than just the source code for their games. It may also include employee and contractor data, which earlier CDPR denied was the case.

Which - depending on the nature of the hack - might cost them a lot of money if it's a valid GDPR violation.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

tuo posted:

Which - depending on the nature of the hack - might cost them a lot of money if it's a valid GDPR violation.

Nah, unlikely - if it had been customer data leaked then its a bit different, since then there's public interest - I can't remember any major case where employee data lead to any significant ramification for the company. And having HR data in shambles all over loose files and correspondence is a rule rather than exception.

Archer666 posted:

Did they deny this though? I think the wording was non-commital.

Feel free to prove me wrong for any of the above.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It was already public knowledge employee personal info leaked. They warned everybody awhile ago.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That sucks for the employees. Some guy or girl that did nothing but plug numbers into computers is a potential target because gamers are loving toxic.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Robobot posted:

That sucks for the employees. Some guy or girl that did nothing but plug numbers into computers is a potential target because gamers are loving toxic.

That or you know, exes and other abusers - you likely know someone who keeps contact info to themselves for a reason.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

itry posted:

It was already public knowledge employee personal info leaked. They warned everybody awhile ago.

In case of a GDPR violation, it actually doesn't matter if it's public info or not. As soon as it's data you can identify a person with, and they find an error in your GDPR documentation or in the way it is enforced, you might be in trouble.

I this case though, I think they'd only be in trouble if they really hosed up their GDPR processes, which I don't assume they did.

e: I type this while preparing like nearly a hundred documents for employees in regard to GDPR and homeoffice...

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I only brought that up because someone said it isn't news.

Edit: but interesting to know about the GDPR

Edit2: ah the right to be forgotten thing is part of it

itry fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 11, 2021

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

tuo posted:

In case of a GDPR violation, it actually doesn't matter if it's public info or not. As soon as it's data you can identify a person with, and they find an error in your GDPR documentation or in the way it is enforced, you might be in trouble.

I this case though, I think they'd only be in trouble if they really hosed up their GDPR processes, which I don't assume they did.

e: I type this while preparing like nearly a hundred documents for employees in regard to GDPR and homeoffice...

Yeah, I also don't have high regard for parties enforcing the legislation - of course depends on where one is - but like, if it was random customer data there'd be pressure to enforce something visibly and you'd get people who give a poo poo investigating. Now, though, pppfft.. gently caress the employees unless they themselves pursue the matter.

(e: I feel sorry for you, the amount of admin to distribute information to all the dummies in the organization.. and know that at best it gets glanced at once...and maybe not at all :v: )

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Splorange posted:

(e: I feel sorry for you, the amount of admin to distribute information to all the dummies in the organization.. and know that at best it gets glanced at once...and maybe not at all :v: )

I could write a loooong post about my experience as a GDPR-consultant, but I'll leave it at: I love the spirit and idea of GDPR, I despise the actual GDPR and can only laugh about the way it is enforced on the (big) companies it actually should regulate in regard to personal data.

(This post uses technically necessary cookies. Please tell us of you confirm to use them or deny it, so we can set a technically necessary cookie that tells us you don't want us to save a technically necessary cookie on your computer-thingy)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

tuo posted:

CDPR published a more detailed article on the personal data leak back in february: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/news/information-regarding-data-security/

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Palpek posted:

CDPR published a more detailed article on the personal data leak back in february: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/news/information-regarding-data-security/

That seems appropriate and well handled, but after witnessing (actually reporting a major data breach to their IT) of a certain game company, seeing what was available and then reading their GDPR breach report (which stated for example that no payment data/information was available, while it clearly was....which might bringt you in a lot of trouble with insurances and stuff) I tend to no longer believe these reports.

e: I at least got a 50 EUR voucher as a "thank you" ;)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

tuo posted:

That seems appropriate and well handled, but after witnessing (actually reporting a major data breach to their IT) of a certain game company, seeing what was available and then reading their GDPR breach report (which stated for example that no payment data/information was available, while it clearly was....which might bringt you in a lot of trouble with insurances and stuff) I tend to no longer believe these reports.

e: I at least got a 50 EUR voucher as a "thank you" ;)

50 euro hush money :homebrew:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

itry posted:

50 euro hush money :homebrew:

Look, I was young and needed the money was randomly clicking their site in search of a PDF and was granted with a PHP shell...so....

e: good thing is I found the PDF I searched for via that shell

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
CDPR does have two positions open for improving Cyberpunk with an open world and encounter designer, but they're at mid-level positions and given the position is open now we likely wouldn't see their results for several months at earliest I'd imagine. Say what you want but job postings are the biggest signs of what's going on at a company in terms of future plans although it doesn't preclude shifting existing engineers to similar roles. There's nothing indicating that CDPR wants to shutdown Cyberpunk and if they're lying to investors they pretty much can be sued. This doesn't mean that they'll be successful, but all signs point to trying in earnest to making Cyberpunk better and delivering more content. Only the most cynical and presumptuous naysayers can reach to say they're going to give up on Cyberpunk unless the supposition is that CDPR is basically incompetent and that their efforts don't matter. There's been large-scale recovery of projects before, which is why I pointed to FF XIV as something even larger and bigger than Cyberpunk that did get fixed and redeemed (although it's still an MMO and there's just business as usual problems with that market).

Which brings me to CDPR's job listings for their infosec team - the positions I saw should have already been there for a company of their size. My company has about the same number of people and our infosec team is quite sophisticated, globally distributed, and we've got at least 15 people and a CISO and everything. The positions struck me as extremely broad and pretty bare minimum and if they just needed help dealing with the hack they could have just hired a contractor quickly. I'd offer up my company's help and we could give them a pretty solid product at a really good price to stop the full gamut of crap that companies worry about (minus cloud native stuff but CDPR doesn't seem to have that issue) but it's not really my call and I don't think we have sales people that know a dang thing about the entertainment industry's needs either. But if we can protect from nation-state level attacks reliably and for a really good deal for the industry I'm sure we could have stopped all these past hacks.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

There's nothing indicating that CDPR wants to shutdown Cyberpunk and if they're lying to investors they pretty much can be sued.
Aren't they already being sued for that very thing?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Which brings me to CDPR's job listings for their infosec team - the positions I saw should have already been there for a company of their size.

Yeah, when I saw those I was like, wait.. are these new positions? Really? I mean it is hard to set hard limits, but there sure comes a point when certain specializations become mandatory to have in an organization of X amount of persons. Support functions (poo poo like HR, infosec, IT services etc.) become unmanageable sooner than you'd think - just establishing these functions eats FTEs like nobody's business.

Shouldn't generalize too much, but usually it is the owners themselves that suddenly hit the wall when you just can't handle all that admin AND run the goddamn company AND manage people AND so on.. it is really loving common growing pains.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

necrobobsledder posted:

CDPR botched the Gwent release with terrible balance problems that resulted in a solid apology and free stuff to last forever but it's gotten better in the past couple years and while there's still some problems balancing some abilities it shows that CDPR can actually get gameplay right if that's essential to success instead of cowering behind an expensive television show and pretty graphics. Not sure how they can keep newbies motivated to keep playing without more than a passing interest.

I just find the formulation of Gwent to be really bad and boring. Yes it's a game, it has a set of rules that you can follow and either win or lose. But it isn't fun.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

TheAgent posted:

yeah but just “being” sued isn’t indicative of much. companies get sued all the time for this sort of thing any time they fall short of a predicted outcome

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheAgent posted:

Ever heard of Skyrim?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I wish there could be an open source fork of the project now that the source code is in the wild, because I guarantee that everyone collectively could at least make better civ and police AI. Probably a lot of the cut features, such as subways, could be implemented as well if this happened.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

TheAgent posted:

Essentially yes. What's more serious is that the several different independently filed lawsuits have joined together into a single big lawsuit. However, these kinds of lawsuits are pretty much impossible to avoid if your company stock drops more than 50%. The one thing I noticed in favor of the execs was that at the height of share prices the board didn't sell any shares (unless there's something I missed of course). The company shares really don't seem to be what leadership wants for compensation and it's all about control of the company rather than even the money.

Unfortunately, none of these kinds of things will help make Cyberpunk better nor improve morale for all the folks that worked so hard on the game.

Also, I'm not familiar with Polish tax laws at all but don't be surprised if there's a bunch of sales of stock to offset the cash compensation the executives just got. It's how Jeff Bezos can claim near-$0 in income here in the US.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Also, I'm not familiar with Polish tax laws at all but don't be surprised if there's a bunch of sales of stock to offset the cash compensation the executives just got. It's how Jeff Bezos can claim near-$0 in income here in the US.

Hard to know even if you'd know the taxation. Also I'm fairly sure that whatever the math it would require some significant ratio to be offloaded so they'd be significantly increasing the free float in that case - and apparently they want control of their poo poo show...also it depends on the point in time when they got the shares in addition to whether or not it was taxable income when the transaction happened.

I don't think these ding dongs have that level of tax planning in their wheelhouse (secret geniousity is not in the cards, accidental maybe.). But yeah, in conclusion and in theory you could incur enough paper losses to offset cash gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Fellatio del Toro posted:

another game about witchers would be lame, let me be a sorceress and just call it The Witch

A Witcher game where you are the monster attempting to get retribution on those that have wronged you