Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What is Genshin Impact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

What is Genshin Impact?

From what I've seen it's a waifu gacha game with gameplay like Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/discord--discord-nitro

how do I redeem this though??

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Skwirl posted:

What is Genshin Impact?

Seems like an anime action RPG MMO with relatively high quality but lots of gacha mechanics. There's a whole long thread about it here that's usually on the front page so apparently it's pretty popular still.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Surprised control is free already too. I didn't really like it much but still finished it for the story.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I think you need to get discord from epic games or something? For some reason discord is on EGS even though there doesn't seem to be any way to connect to EGS from discord.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
you get an email code after redeeming that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You have to attach a payment method in order to redeem, it could end up not being free if you forget to cancel. No idea if you can immediately cancel and keep the rest of the trial period or not, I elected to not put in a payment method.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Kinda like with amazon and it's amazon prime trials, it sounds like they expect people to forget they are subscribed so they unintentionally pay for it again later.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It says on the page it will automatically charge you once the trial is up

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i haven't seen a free trial in like over a decade that didn't want your payment info to charge you afterwards

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

flatluigi posted:

i haven't seen a free trial in like over a decade that didn't want your payment info to charge you afterwards
I've seen several, and I don't particularly look for free trials. It's not very common for the "sign up whenever you want" ones like Netflix or Amazon prime, since they want to cut down on alt accounts, but for time restricted ones or ones involving limited codes that shouldn't be a concern. Assuming those discord codes expire in a short time frame they run no risk of people chaining them with alts.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

JazzFlight posted:

Free RTS Game Loria on GOG.com:
https://www.gog.com/game/loria

Oh neat, I've never heard of this bef-

Wait, 2018?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I also have never seen a free trial that didn't want your credit card details.

The whole point is because a portion of people will forget, and then get auto billed, and then not even realize they got charged. They can then deny those people a refund because of it being "outside of policy"

The companies wont admit that ever, though, because then they would have to admit that behavior is predatory :v:

That being said, 99% of the time you can give them the cc info and just remove it immediately after and cancel the auto-renew and it's fine.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I also have never seen a free trial that didn't want your credit card details.

The whole point is because a portion of people will forget, and then get auto billed, and then not even realize they got charged. They can then deny those people a refund because of it being "outside of policy"

The companies wont admit that ever, though, because then they would have to admit that behavior is predatory :v:

That being said, 99% of the time you can give them the cc info and just remove it immediately after and cancel the auto-renew and it's fine.

hell there are entire industries that almost completely revolve around profiting from forgetful people not cancelling their free trials lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Suburban Dad posted:

Surprised control is free already too.

It was on PS+ (with the DLC) in February. Though, I guess you have to 'pay' for that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That requires a paid subscription. Epic store does not. This is free free my man. I already bought it for PC in the last year because I thought around 20 bucks was as low as it would get. Silly me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Suburban Dad posted:

That requires a paid subscription. Epic store does not. This is free free my man. I already bought it for PC in the last year because I thought around 20 bucks was as low as it would get. Silly me.

But you have to give epic your email?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

What's the problem, I give all sorts of companies your email.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Waltzing Along posted:

It's asking me to sign up for their newsletter. ie: provide them with my info. It's not like a free game on epic where you just click it and its added to your account. Having to give them information makes it, to me, not free.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
How long do the Epic freebies stay up?

Len posted:

Please no, not again

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hollandia posted:

How long do the Epic freebies stay up?

Please no, not again

One week. A new game will be free next thursday.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Wow Happy Birthday to that post and your insistence on referencing it, I guess!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this forum has enough people endlessly negative about things without pretending to do it again as a joke imo

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Donkringel posted:

From what I've seen it's a waifu gacha game with gameplay like Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.

I'm just going to pretend this means your waifu breaks every five seconds causing you to need another one and never play the game to find out otherwise.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Blacula posted:

Wow Happy Birthday to that post and your insistence on referencing it, I guess!

Holy poo poo 2020 was a long year, it hasn't been that long since it came up last at least

Edit: did anything ever come from that supposed epic data leak last month?

Len fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 11, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Len posted:

not really

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Len posted:

nothing, so it was probably someone reusing passwords as conjectured

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Len posted:

Holy poo poo 2020 was a long year, it hasn't been that long since it came up last at least

Only more people taking care of their passwords, which is a good thing

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Next week’s giveaway will be one year of free credit monitoring

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
everyone is still salty as hell because I made fun of all the dumbfucks in this thread who were gonna watch some 2 hour livestream in order to get a fee game code.

and I was right—they all deserved to be shamed into oblivion, because the company posted a link to the game for anyone who wanted it afterwards.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i dont remember that or you at all so i think you might be wrong there

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, no one gives a poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLRv0b6wJlA

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

everyone is still salty as hell because I made fun of all the dumbfucks in this thread who were gonna watch some 2 hour livestream in order to get a fee game code.

and I was right—they all deserved to be shamed into oblivion, because the company posted a link to the game for anyone who wanted it afterwards.

lol

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Somehow, in this thread of all threads, this is the most pathetic post that will ever occur.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Did that even happen in this thread? I have no idea what they're talking about.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

please, return to posting free games

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Somehow, in this thread of all threads, this is the most pathetic post that will ever occur.

It's honestly a weirder and funnier pathetic post than the guy mad that you need to give Epic Games an email address.

rodbeard posted:

Did that even happen in this thread? I have no idea what they're talking about.

It scratches a weird spot in my brain. I think Ubisoft or Rockstar had a giveaway or something where you were supposed to watch a stream, but then their servers crashed. Maybe that's what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wasn't it the really dumb watchdogs thing?