Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Chronojam posted:

I was a little disappointed about the lack of sticky dynamite in BF1 but horses gave you a pair of self-refilling grenades no matter what class you were when you hopped on one, and your could still toss explosives from the sidecar in a motorcycle.

Limpet charges didn’t scratch that itch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Fart Car '97 posted:

In the original 1942, before a certain patch, you could do that with just TNT on a friendly tank/jeep. You could just throw TNT on the back and detonate it and if FF was off it would fling the jeep/tank. We'd regularly throw them from one uncap to the other on El Alamein

you could do this in BC2 as well, it was amazing

bring it back imo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think my favorite thing in Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 was using mortars, I got scary good at using them back in the day, hopefully 2042 will have them too

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I think my favorite thing in Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 was using mortars, I got scary good at using them back in the day, hopefully 2042 will have them too

This is a rare skill

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Kind of hurts to see all this dissing of BF1, which was one of the better battlefield games ever in my opinion, and ending up having a ton of maps. Operations was a pretty fun game-mode, and they added other fun ones as well. The vehicle balance felt fine to me, but I guess that can be subjective. The sound of a headshot in BF1 is probably one of the most satisfying game sounds ever. Plus they had a few Russian civil war maps!
I bought BF5 but kept BF1 installed on my PS4 till the pacific content dropped, and I still regret uninstalling and installing BF5.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I can tear down BF1 pretty hard, but it was good overall. My main gripes were overdoing the animations and having spawn-in vehicles as well as an over-emphasis on automatic weapons.

Though this stuff doesn’t seem that important when it was followed up by the hands down worst entry in the series.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I liked BF1, just was different BF game. I like to forget about BF5

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ardent Communist posted:

The sound of a headshot in BF1 is probably one of the most satisfying game sounds ever.

not an empty quote

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

BFV pacific war mode was reasonably playable, way more so than the rest of the game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

Kind of hurts to see all this dissing of BF1, which was one of the better battlefield games ever in my opinion, and ending up having a ton of maps. Operations was a pretty fun game-mode, and they added other fun ones as well. The vehicle balance felt fine to me, but I guess that can be subjective. The sound of a headshot in BF1 is probably one of the most satisfying game sounds ever. Plus they had a few Russian civil war maps!
I bought BF5 but kept BF1 installed on my PS4 till the pacific content dropped, and I still regret uninstalling and installing BF5.

It and the new Battlefront games had the problem of being too infantry focused

Blue Raider posted:

This is a rare skill

I'm not sure if this is a complement or sarcasm

Blue Raider posted:

I can tear down BF1 pretty hard, but it was good overall. My main gripes were overdoing the animations and having spawn-in vehicles as well as an over-emphasis on automatic weapons.

Though this stuff doesn’t seem that important when it was followed up by the hands down worst entry in the series.

Agreed, should have been few if any infantry usable automatic weapons besides full sized machine guns(which for some reason Battlefield is terrible at making any good)

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

hey this isn't bad company 3 what gives?

just don't be another BFV please for the love of god

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I'm not sure if this is a complement or sarcasm

Compliment. Using a mortar effectively has always been challenging. That doesn’t stop 2-4 idiots from constantly wasting their time with them though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Blue Raider posted:

I can tear down BF1 pretty hard... My main gripes were overdoing the animations

What is wrong with your brain?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

What is wrong with your brain?

I’d rather just push a button and be in a vehicle instantly. Anything else feels clunky.

Reloading and stuff like that was fine.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kazinsal posted:

Just grab 4. Nobody plays 1 anymore and V isn’t worth playing.

Chronojam posted:

At this exact moment, for BF1 servers:
43/64
64/64[4]
53/64
64/64[3]
62/64
64/64[1]
64/64[4]
64/64[1]
24/24
63/64
Pile of ones with smaller player counts eg 6

Note that there have been oddball game mode servers going like air assault, too, but I filter them out. If you're unable to find a match it's kind of on you. These are only ones tagged for NA also.

Servers are packed at basically any hour of the day for BF1 and people sit tenth-in-queue for specific servers all the time.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Yeah tons of people are still playing Battlefield 1 and V in the US and EU. At all hours of the day. The consoles have even more players.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I forgot that Battlefield had a short lived TV series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGeVqtG7k9g

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hopefully the customisation is exactly like BF5 - so dogshit you don't give a single gently caress about it at all.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Laserface posted:

Hopefully the customisation is exactly like BF5 - so dogshit you don't give a single gently caress about it at all.

I will continue to put an ELCAN, heavy barrel and olive drab paint on an otherwise unmodified M16 and call it a C7A1 and nobody can stop me.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I remember watching the demo presentation for BF2 and the devs showing a rocket launcher missile go through the open door of a blackhawk as it dodged. That poo poo was so incredibly cool to see in 2005 and perfectly sold the game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

Compliment. Using a mortar effectively has always been challenging. That doesn’t stop 2-4 idiots from constantly wasting their time with them though.

One thing that's nice about mortars is that even if you don't kill someone with a shot you'll probably be wrecking the building they're hiding in and it'll probably also rattle them, potentially resulting in them doing something stupid in a panic

Basically even misses with them can be productive

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The United States posted:

I forgot that Battlefield had a short lived TV series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGeVqtG7k9g

Are we going to be so generous as to call this a "TV Series"?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Fart Car '97 posted:

Are we going to be so generous as to call this a "TV Series"?
It was on Verizon's GO90 which no one watched and now it's on Roku TV which people actually watch. Are we really going to say it's less of a TV show than SIX - EXCLUSIVELY ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL!

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 11, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The United States posted:

Post your favorite Battlefield Moment (TM)

Axeface posted:

The most and only important part of this game is talking poo poo, and talking poo poo with the focus, cunning, and determination of a fox hunted by dogs. Squad organization and the team mechanic are false constructions meant to distract you from the One True Purpose of Battlefield: Grinding profanities out of your keyboard like a coke-crazed pole cowboy until gameplay stops and the chat window convulses with loathing. Every second you spend playing this game is a second you've lost on puking vitriol over its community. The only acceptable justification for your participation in a round is killing bad guys; every moment somebody is dead is another moment they're forced to pay attention to your bullshit. For this reason you should never revive teammates.

Celebrate every kill by reminding your victim that they could've spent this time in the company of a loved one. Run into a corner and prone first so they can tell that you're typing. Subtly imply that they play video games so much because they secretly hate themselves and yearn to escape from their lives. If they kill you back, state this explicitly, then assert that they invest themselves into children's games because they crave ego-death and are too cowardly to pursue a fulfilling sexual experience or suicide. Remind them that KDR is irrelevant to the actual structure of the game, and the developers only instituted tracking of it in obeisance to our crude animal fear of domination. If your KDR is higher, add that you justify this fear, and that in a primal setting you would collapse their brainpan with your teeth. Pause briefly to note that fear of defilement after death is nothing more than a shadow cast on the wall of the human psyche by the blinding, hideously bright knowledge of our own mortal inconsequentiality, before continuing to describe in detail the crude zoomorphic rituals you would subject your opponent's corpse to in a pre-agricultural setting.

Take note when you earn a nemesis ribbon and write beautiful erotica detailing the carnal adventures you imagine sharing with your victim. Anoint yourself a priest in a Dionysian mystery cult and then loudly announce your intention to gay marry jets by ramming them. Prepare elaborate epitaphs for snipers before you knife them; afterwards, carry on long simulated conversations with them about how stupid they are, using quotation marks to indicate their responses. Post-script all such conversations with "Wait, how am I talking if I'm loving dead?" If you successfully run somebody over with a MAV, spend a minute making robot sounds and questioning whether or not sufficiently advanced computers have souls. Ask your victims if they will dream while you make exaggerated tea-bagging motions over their corpse by flying up and down.

Erratically and interchangeably quote Mussolini and Eugene V. Debs. Turn on thermal optics in the Viper and then splice footage of you base-camping Wake into an Iraq Mudvayne war crime montage. Put that on YouTube and whistleblow it to Julian Assange's gmail account. Cold read the room until you find out the name of somebody's dead grandmother, then channel her spirit through your keyboard to mock their KDR and make debased sexual claims about their ancestry. Put an IRNV on your gun and spend the whole round making clicking noises and repeating things other people say while alternating capslock. Unironically solicit contributions for Jon Huntsman's presidential campaign. Do literally anything without irony.

Strip naked on nights of the full moon and scream your hatred for mankind into the sky. This will have no direct effect on Battlefield players, but the poisonous qi you release into the universe will bring nightmares to children and kill flowers half a world away, lessening the joy of others by a commensurate but ultimately exponential amount. Kidnap Korean War veterans and subject them to hour-long knife kill montages until they have nervous breakdowns. Tell them that this is the face of modern war. Deliberately mislead children into believing unsustainable things. Provoke the manager of the Battlefield Twitter feed into an argument about electoral fraud in modern Russia, then question the morality of releasing a game depicting non-nuclear industrial warfare between two superpowers as entertainment. Tell him that you no longer enjoy Bad Company 3 and offer to mail him a copy of ArmA.

Trigger another fight about Stinger utility in-game.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Node posted:

I'm really conflicted because I remember how disappointed I was in BFV and I shouldn't give DICE money, at least preorder money, but then I remember things like Kentucky Fried Server and want to play that again.

I was thinking the same thing, but I just played a round of BF4 on a lark and goddamn even on a server full of pubbies I had fun

Anyway, fave Battlefield moments: doing stupid poo poo on Daveslash's Waffle House and KFS at like 4am, and that one time in BF2 when I ran a jihad jeep straight into the middle of 4 armored vehicles (one of them carrying like 6 dudes) driving in a tight formation, bailed and when I triggered the C4 my stupid finger slipped on the mousewheel so I was waving my gun around as they blasted me into goo.

Also this poo poo. Good luck doing this in BFV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXHYdLGGKUA

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 11, 2021

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

oh, and also roadkilling people on the carrier by flying a jet like a foot above the deck on Gulf of Oman

gently caress it I'm feeling nostalgic, lovely 2006 video editing and all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24fVppbvjrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcgQOg3dC-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJBHM23QtOc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5y03dnDReo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6pndWfJlE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekWodpPm5wA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSUd03rvUHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ohA2T1igg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQzAj3KVORc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-keyfy1tqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzQp3UqMVTs

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 11, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

does anyone have a link to the video from battlefield 3 on damavand peak set to Desire - Under Your Spell?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Definitely still going to pick this up since BF is apparently just going to perpetually be the only shooter that isn't insanely twitchy with super-fast TTK and / or is a battle royale, but I gotta say that 2042 seems like kind of a lame setting and I wish they'd just done 2142 instead. Didn't really get a sense from that trailer that it was going to feel all that different from any other modern-day shooter, but hopefully it ends up proving me wrong.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

holy poo poo the memories

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't mind a "near future" Battlefield game since that hasn't been done yet. Instead of mechs and lasers we get those creepy robot dogs and slightly different tech that is basically possible today but not in much use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkCQXHEgjA

I assume I will be able to plant lots of C4 on my robot dog companions and send them to greet my enemies

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just a three foot tall robot dog coming at you with a nine foot pile of C4, mines and wookie balls on its back.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
just make bf 1942 on a modern engine. its all anyone wants from bf.

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

Just grab 4. Nobody plays 1 anymore and V isn’t worth playing.

On PC at least, there's still plenty of people playing BF1

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeah 1 has a good player base still. Not on all game modes though.

Yes I’m the only one in the universe who wants to play Air Superiority in BF1.

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah 1 has a good player base still. Not on all game modes though.

Yes I’m the only one in the universe who wants to play Air Superiority in BF1.

I wish there was back to basics servers up still

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gimmie another Zavod 311 style map so I can hop in an AA tank and mow down all the foliage and trees to prevent people from gettin’ sneaky.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
BF1 is good! Silly guns aside, the whistles, shouting and rousing music when a round starts or a team is pushed back is quite awesome. The atmosphere is kinda spot on, and I never get tired of seeing the huge zeppelin crash down and explode on the terrain.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

henpod posted:

BF1 is good! Silly guns aside, the whistles, shouting and rousing music when a round starts or a team is pushed back is quite awesome. The atmosphere is kinda spot on, and I never get tired of seeing the huge zeppelin crash down and explode on the terrain.

Sinai , I would argue, is the best Battlefield 1 level. With Ballroom Blitz, Empire’s Edge, St. Quentin Scar and Amiens right up there, too.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am kinda hyped for this as I don't care about WW theater games. Only played V and 1 for the goon squadding.

However, seeing that little bird in the trailer made me remember how DICE caved to the whiny pilots in BF 4, who cried because they didn't totally dominate, and nerfed the SRAW into uselessness because it allegedly was overpowered.
And also how they completely revamped all weapons after like 2 years which was unnecessary and confusing for everyone.

So yeah cautiously optimistic but not expecting any kind of balance or solid long term plan from this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm hoping that sickass railgun from the BF4 DLC will be making a reappearance, solely so you can use it to murder helicopters with appropriate ease.