Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wow the loading times are great right up until you have to sneak past a dog for a random side thing, and then when it spots you and it resets you have to wait forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

What sort of fps does Intergrade pull if you set graphics to optimize for 4K rather than for 60fps?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Thundarr posted:

What sort of fps does Intergrade pull if you set graphics to optimize for 4K rather than for 60fps?

if you do 4k it drops to 30 fps

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ah well. Not like that is unplayable but still.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The most important INTERmission spoiler.

GONNA GET. FULLY WRECKED. AT THE HAPPY TURTLE!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My #1 feeling is that they are going to have to nerf the poo poo out of Yuffie when she joins the rest of the party to not just make her a must have. It turns out "Can do everything" is a bit OP!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think that's just a natural difference between being the sole playable and a party member.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And here I am just dying to some dogs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

I think that's just a natural difference between being the sole playable and a party member.

Oh I know, I'm just saying that even her kit as designed is crazy good. The "has an actual evasion that also gives you ATB if used properly" alone makes her a blast to play.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm, maybe if I were just staring at a still image or had a more expensive tv (yes it outputs 4K and I checked that it's working) but I can clearly see the jump to 60fps and can't really notice a downgrade from upscaling or detail... seems Performance is the obvious choice

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That seems to be the norm from what I've seen, graphics modes have very little difference but switching between 30 & 60 fps is night and day

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Always pick better framerate.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

That seems to be the norm from what I've seen, graphics modes have very little difference but switching between 30 & 60 fps is night and day

Ya I will take 60fps over 4k any day of the week especially in action oriented games. If it's some poo poo like Until Dawn or something that is just bunch of cutscenes and walking maybe it's bearable.

I have 4k on my pc monitor and tv, honestly very few games you can tell the difference between 1440p/4k.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I suppose you can see the difference in stills (textures and shadows), but yeah not that big of a jump.

Anyway I did the VR challenge and it feels great to jump back into the swing of things, it is a good combat system

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I suppose you can see the difference in stills (textures and shadows), but yeah not that big of a jump.

Anyway I did the VR challenge and it feels great to jump back into the swing of things, it is a good combat system

I think it's extremely impressive that they have five different playable characters and each is distinctive, unique and interesting while properly capturing the feel of their original concept. Even Sonon is pretty neat for the half-character that he is.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pretty surprised they kept this moogle poncho on her when its jumping all over the place lol

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I guess I don't get Yuffie's kit because I'm getting my rear end handed to me. Though maybe it's partially my fault for bumbling right into Ramuh before even getting some minions to take hits for me. And also Ramuh seems to expect you to dodge most of his attacks rather than blocking, which is not how I remember the main game going.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just kinda bashed my head against it until I got it lol, wind ninjutsu to hammer on weaknesses, keep distance to avoid projectiles and aoes, which will also make him try to melee -- brumal dodging all his melee strikes (the ability from the boomerang weapon) is really satisfying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I guess I don't get Yuffie's kit because I'm getting my rear end handed to me. Though maybe it's partially my fault for bumbling right into Ramuh before even getting some minions to take hits for me. And also Ramuh seems to expect you to dodge most of his attacks rather than blocking, which is not how I remember the main game going.

A big thing with Yuffie's kit is that she has a significantly greater amount of defense options. While blocking is effective and important you need to recall that she can do a Just Defend which is very effective as a defensive tool. The second weapon you get also gives you a special dodge mechanic which you can and should bind to a button so you can use it regularly. Between those two things and the usual defensive tactics you have a ton more tank thank you might think.

Don't forget to check enemy status with Assess and then switch your Ninjutsu to properly match their weaknesses. Being able to hop out and do tons of plink damage is one of her biggest advantages. That said don't only do that because her defensive options mean that she can get close and stay close rather than needing to back off.

You only really need to dodge attacks with the big red ! but it depends on how comfortable you feel with her defensive mechanics. You don't technically need to use either but you're severely limiting yourself because Yuffie rewards helluva aggression because she has plenty of tools to support it. Also remember that holding Square when in melee mode will automatically jump you to range distance so you can quickly hop out of melee range and thus play more chicken with enemy attacks.

Basically the key to understanding Yuffie is understanding that she has a tool for every single situation and you can seamlessly shift between any of those tools. There's no situation she doesn't have an answer to and if you figure out how that works for each enemy you'll basically style all over their helpless asses.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 11, 2021

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Does Intergrade have any new materia? Beyond Ramuh, who I assume you get as a summon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Does Intergrade have any new materia? Beyond Ramuh, who I assume you get as a summon.

Yeah, there are a few. Ninja Cannonball for example which lets you perform a special combo movie between Yuffie and Sonon. I don't think there are any in the main game which as far as I know only really gets the Weiss boss added.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is the last move in the ninjutsu combo short range? Because it seems to keep whiffing and it's super easy to just waste time doing it by holding in the button.

Also gently caress you game for sticking me in a tiny room with two venomantises with way too much HP.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Ninja Cannonball is insane, it makes Synergy have no downside and turns Sonon into an infinite-AP monster. Don't sleep on it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Is the last move in the ninjutsu combo short range? Because it seems to keep whiffing and it's super easy to just waste time doing it by holding in the button.

Also gently caress you game for sticking me in a tiny room with two venomantises with way too much HP.

The short range ground fissure thing only comes out if you hold the button, the regular combo is all long range.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How many ranks of Fort Condor are there?

Also lol is there really a DLC-only weapon in the PSN shop that's half the price of the whole thing, I like this game but I think they might be overestimating on that one

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also lol is there really a DLC-only weapon in the PSN shop that's half the price of the whole thing, I like this game but I think they might be overestimating on that one

I think it might have been a pre-order thing?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am scrutinising the gently caress out of these and there is literally no difference between them whatsoever.

Mind you, I never noticed things like the skybox and the door in the original. If an object looks basically like what I'm expecting then my brain fills in the gaps for me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

3 ranks of opponents and then the rank 4 opponent is the grand master.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I wonder if they'll actually have Yuffie and Vincent join the main cast in the remakes, it just keep them as DLC side stories.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm, maybe if I were just staring at a still image or had a more expensive tv (yes it outputs 4K and I checked that it's working) but I can clearly see the jump to 60fps and can't really notice a downgrade from upscaling or detail... seems Performance is the obvious choice

Upscalers are extremely good today, especially those on the unreal engine 4 that FFVIIr uses

It's universally silly to go for raw 4k nowadays, it is better to run at upscaled 1440p60. A lot of developers have included 60fps modes for this reason, they feel confident in scaling solutions now that they can offer a lower resolution mode with no downsides.

Sorry to go off topic but an example of how frighteningly good upscalers are going to get very soon would be the unreal engine 5 video that digital foundry just bought out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C99VwDGyLg0&t=644s

That is a mere 648p upscaled to 4k. So even lower resolution than a typical xbox 360 game yet it looks sharp and rich in detail.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 11, 2021

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think it might have been a pre-order thing?

Was that a thing?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Was that a thing?

Yes, you got it free if you pre-ordered. However, as an owner of the digital PS4 version, I wasn't able to pre-order...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

GoGoGadget posted:

Yes, you got it free if you pre-ordered. However, as an owner of the digital PS4 version, I wasn't able to pre-order...

oh i see i see

it's just a skin right? (pretty dope one at that btw)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished the DLC this morning. The ending is really loving good but (obvious spoilers) I'm pretty 'pure' when it comes to FF7 so deepground didn't bother me outside Nero looking like trash. Seeing the main crew wandering around and getting to Kalm was a lot of fun and I can't wait for more bellyaching now that Zack is fully confirmed to be alive and looking for the group. Can't wait for zombie Sodon to be a setpiece boss for Yuffie in a handful of years.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Am I right in assuming the 4 AP units in Fort Condor are a trap? I've only gone through the rank 1 opponents so far but it seems like being able to throw out lots of cheap units is much more effective than a few expensive ones most of the time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The bases that spew out more units can be useful but otherwise it seems like it, especially if you're playing against someone with an increased AP gain board that can just overwhelm you with cheap units.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished the DLC this morning. The ending is really loving good but (obvious spoilers) I'm pretty 'pure' when it comes to FF7 so deepground didn't bother me outside Nero looking like trash. Seeing the main crew wandering around and getting to Kalm was a lot of fun and I can't wait for more bellyaching now that Zack is fully confirmed to be alive and looking for the group. Can't wait for zombie Sodon to be a setpiece boss for Yuffie in a handful of years.

I'm so loving happy that Zack is alive you wouldn't believe it. I 100%'d Crisis Core, my good boy deserves everything.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

On the normal difficulty you should be able to run through most opponents. Only Wedge and Chadley put up a fight. The high ap units work well with the higher end boards since you start with more ap. In a 6 unit board I normally would only have 2 units at 4 ap or above.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

oh i see i see

it's just a skin right? (pretty dope one at that btw)

Nah, it's its own weapon with a unique skill and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nah, it's its own weapon with a unique skill and everything.

Huh. What is the skill?