Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it was scrapped because the science advisor flat out told them that the crash would not only kill everyone aboard Galactica, but also result in a nuclear winter that would wipe out all life on Earth given Galactica's size and speed upon impact.

And they didn't go with "what if the crash was slower but the ship was more hosed up first"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Galactica has artificial gravity and shrugged off nuclear missiles. Who's to say what kind of impact it would take to kill everyone on board?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

No, what he did was not allow an enlisted military personelle to go on strike when their method of strike was taking upon themselves the right to dictate what is and is not an essential mission on a warship. I'm not an expert on military law or anything but I feel like they're normally not legally allowed to do that. Strikes do have legal limitations, they always have.

Granted, summary execution isn't exactly a method I approve of in handling that issue, but that's another discussion. Especially because the first thing Adama did after Tyrol lied to Calli and said the Admiral caved to their demands was... take Tyrol to the President so he could issue his demands to her directly. Like, he didn't make him get on the phone to the Tillium Ship and get them back to work to, he took him strait to the head of the government. Adama didn't bust the entire strike, just the part of it that was an immediate threat to military operations. In fact, from his demeanor through most of the episode I took him to be pretty shocked at how Roslin was handling the entire affair, and therefore tacitly on the worker's side. But maybe that was me reading too much into it.

Roslin is absolutely an uncaring monster in this episode, which is par for the course for her in the second half of the show sadly. What the heck happened with her writing?

Lol what flavor do those boots come in, boss? Mmm nummy!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tighclops posted:

Lol bullshit he was going to space her if he couldnt get fuel for his fighter planes, that was literally the justification he gave

He let tyrol get away with something else I can't quite remember back in season 1 for the same reason, he needed his deck Chief to keep his planes flying

I like BSG but it's lib-brained as gently caress

BSG is a lot like the game Frostpunk in that it asks the question "what can you justify if the alternative is the certain extinction of the human race?" and the answer is "a whole hell of a lot."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sanguinia posted:

Roslin is absolutely an uncaring monster in this episode, which is par for the course for her in the second half of the show sadly. What the heck happened with her writing?

I think it was supposed to be some subversive "oooh, you thought she was some weak liberal teacher, but in fact she's got the biggest balls in the fleet!" kind of thing.

That said it was still funny when Apollo got really mad about the plot to kill Cain and basically said "well I'm gonna go see what mommy has to say about this!" and Adama says "that's cool, it was her idea anyway" and Apollo's face just slid to the floor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look Roslin has just been a bit xenophobic ever since the squid aliens dropped a building on her in Independence Day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oof I forgot how Olmos trashed his model ship at the end of of Starbuck death episode. The crew was absolutely freaking out when he smashed it because it was an antique.

Now I'm onto the absolute weirdo Romo Lampkin. I'm still not sure what the actor was going for but it's something. This whole three episode arc of the trial is literally just riffing on courtroom dramas except it's almost beyond hyperbolic. It's entertaining schlock but it's not Battlestar.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 10, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He always reminded me of Charlie Kelly. Acts like he knows a lot about law but leaves me very unsure about that. Similar look. Carries around dead animals. Too bad there aren't any birds for him to be an expert on w/r/t law

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Decided "gently caress it" and marathoned the end of Season 3. If that ending flash of Earth didn't clinch that they had no loving idea how to end the show than nothing would. Not even the Final Five reveal, ridiculous as it was. That last shot and then all of season 4 leading to them finding the Real Earth just shows how there was no planning at all and they were just throwing poo poo at a tac board and clumsily filling in blanks. Why show North America on Earth 2.0 if the whole crux of S4's first half leads them to the nuked planet instead.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Decided "gently caress it" and marathoned the end of Season 3. If that ending flash of Earth didn't clinch that they had no loving idea how to end the show than nothing would. Not even the Final Five reveal, ridiculous as it was. That last shot and then all of season 4 leading to them finding the Real Earth just shows how there was no planning at all and they were just throwing poo poo at a tac board and clumsily filling in blanks. Why show North America on Earth 2.0 if the whole crux of S4's first half leads them to the nuked planet instead.

I haven't gone back to finish S3 and 4 yet since I stopped at S2's finale, but from my memory I can sort of appreciate the thematic intent in a vacuum. The villainous Cylon's actions are largely predicated on a feeling of their own superiority to humans, and showing the fake-out Earth was inhabited entirely by Cylons and they destroyed themselves in a dumb war just like those flawed humans would, it helps set the stage for the awakening of the Centurions and the Cylon Rebellion. The biggest problem is that by doing that storyline AFTER New Caprica they basically entirely hosed the believability of any reconciliation between Cylon and Human regardless of circumstances and regardless of what the "good," Cylons say or do.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

nine-gear crow posted:

The original ending, if I recall correctly, was going to involve Galatica's final jump not just be to Earth, but into Earth's atmosphere and it plummeting to the ground and crashlanding somewhere in South America so that everyone was kind of forced to give up their their tech and stick it out on Earth because the center of their civilization was now a pancaked mess of metal in a crater in the Amazon. The 500,000 year flash forward would have had modern day scientists discovering the Galactica's wreckage on ground penetrating sonar rather than Hera's body as Mitochondrial Eve.

I think it was scrapped because the science advisor flat out told them that the crash would not only kill everyone aboard Galactica, but also result in a nuclear winter that would wipe out all life on Earth given Galactica's size and speed upon impact.

or because they realised that's the exact same point that the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy TV show ends on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They still use wired wall-mounted phones but by God they're sanitized!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gaius's season 4 cult harem really reminds me a lot of Dukat's Pah Wraith cult in DS9. Right down to the same colour scheme. RDM definitely pulls more from DS9 in this season up to and including Nana Visitor as a guest star one episode.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i remember a reddit post i saw a long time ago which pointed out that baltar and dukat are one of the clearest examples of ron moore reusing stuff from ds9. they both become increasingly drawn into the religion of a culture which they initially despise, and as you point out, they both have a hippie cult leader phase

fake edit: i think it was this one https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/2clz7y/anyone_else_notice_parallels_between_ds9_and_bsg/cjgw8i6

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gaius's season 4 cult harem really reminds me a lot of Dukat's Pah Wraith cult in DS9. Right down to the same colour scheme. RDM definitely pulls more from DS9 in this season up to and including Nana Visitor as a guest star one episode.

Nana Visitor was Battlestar Galactica?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Aglet56 posted:

i remember a reddit post i saw a long time ago which pointed out that baltar and dukat are one of the clearest examples of ron moore reusing stuff from ds9. they both become increasingly drawn into the religion of a culture which they initially despise, and as you point out, they both have a hippie cult leader phase

fake edit: i think it was this one https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/2clz7y/anyone_else_notice_parallels_between_ds9_and_bsg/cjgw8i6

I don't really think Baltar's religious journey from atheist to prophet and Dukat's attempts to weaponize a religion he clearly has no actual faith in against his enemies because the aliens that it considered to be gods are really powerful are all that comparable.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 11, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s normal for people to put some weight on when they age

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah she's in the episode where Roslin is in sick bay with an rear end in a top hat cancer patient played by Visitor

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

special visitor Nana Guest Star

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah so I'm not sure how to feel about Kobol's Last Gleaming, the S1 finale. At the time it didn't seem so obvious for some reason, but I guess maybe time has made the metaphors a lot more in-your-face.

Lee and Tigh storming Colonial One to take Roslin into custody for endangering the fleet over a kooky religious superstition — and then Lee deciding to turn on Tigh because democracy shouldn't suffer just because the President made a bad decision.

Maybe it's the fact that the whole thing played out with the marines in completely off-the-shelf 2003 body armor staring down a bunch of Secret Service guys in black suits and ties with little earpieces, like they didn't even want to try to disguise any of it with even a thin veneer of alien-ness. This is just a political polemic in places like this and it is awfully distracting.

Once again it all makes me kind of wish they could remake it again but ditch the button-down shirts and Ikea office furniture and everything else that's just a pastiche of modern American life and try just a little bit to distance themselves from today's headlines. This whole conceit felt really clever at the time but it just seems clumsy and tiresome now, somehow.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 15, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
BSG2003 is clumsy and tiresome on it's own, but SO MUCH MORE SO that seemingly every Sci-Fi show since is desperate to replicate it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season 4 continues to meander along. Cally's dead and now Baltar is going all jesus and letting Head Six puppet him up from the deck like he's floating and I'm just laughing.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

it's been a decade since I've watched BSG and I still have a question:

at the end of the miniseries, Adama's in his quarters and gets a message that reads in part, "there are 12 kinds of Cylons."

who the gently caress sends that message? is that revealed anywhere? who with that knowledge is in communication with Adama?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Never mentioned again if i remember correctly.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

at the end of the miniseries, Adama's in his quarters and gets a message that reads in part, "there are 12 kinds of Cylons."

who the gently caress sends that message? is that revealed anywhere? who with that knowledge is in communication with Adama?

it's heavily implied to be gaius baltar since iirc head six tells him that there are 12 cylons earlier in the miniseries

as is typical with tv pilots, this winds up being a somewhat out-of-character moment for him. for the rest of season 1, he's desperate to get uninvolved with the cylon hunt, to the extent of faking his cylon detector results so that it says that everyone is a human. he even gets a confirmed positive reading from boomer and doesn't tell anyone. so it's a little strange that he'd risk discovery to pass along a mostly-unhelpful hint to adama

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Might have been Cavill sending that message while he was loving with the fleet. There were a number of deleted scenes from The Plan, maybe Cavil sent the note after the incident at the Ragnar Anchorage to stoke paranoia in the fleet.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Season 4 continues to meander along. Cally's dead and now Baltar is going all jesus and letting Head Six puppet him up from the deck like he's floating and I'm just laughing.

The saddest part of her dying was that they killed her character off so that her actress could go join that weird sex abuse cult.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fate Accomplice posted:

I think it's either Baltar or Boomer trying to rebel against her sleeper agent programming. It was probably Baltar though. Like others have said, it doesn't even matter in the end.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it's either Baltar or Boomer trying to rebel against her sleeper agent programming. It was probably Baltar though. Like others have said, it doesn't even matter in the end.

A message like that is a major plot point in the Philip K. Dick short story the entire concept of infiltrated Cylons was lifted from. However, the runners probably forgot about it as the show developed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zesty posted:

BSG2003 is clumsy and tiresome on it's own, but SO MUCH MORE SO that seemingly every Sci-Fi show since is desperate to replicate it.

Maybe there were past shows that did it but I feel like another legacy of BSG2003 is the willingness to say "this person who looks totally normal? yeah they're actually robots that can outperform mere mortal flesh humans in every way. oh and they're also totally undetectable even under intense examination"

like, when BSG did it, there was that whole "oh NO are there secret terrorists hiding among us? any one of us could be secret traitors! they might not even know it!!" angle being played

but when following series do it, like Star Trek Picard, it just comes across as incredibly lazy and/or cheap "oh look we don't have to pay extra for special makeup"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

banned from Starbucks posted:

Do they ever reference that episode or any of the union stuff ever again? Or is it just "yeah everyones working again and are happy now check out this sick military poo poo"

I'm pretty sure there's a bit where Adama says to Tyrol that Cally was a good woman and Tyrol goes but you threatened to murder her

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Horizon Burning posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a bit where Adama says to Tyrol that Cally was a good woman and Tyrol goes but you threatened to murder her

I just watched that episode and frankly it was super satisfying to watch Tyrol explode and get told to gently caress off. Anders is the only character not damaged by the Cylon reveal. Tyrol just has his entire role as the everyman tossed aside for sadbrains fuckups, Tigh gets into the super hosed up relationship with Six that is out if character for both of them and Tory remained an unlikable prick.

Anders whole deal was that his life was a rocky disaster since meeting Starbuck and the Cylon reveal contributed to that and made him more than just the cuckold husband. The rest of them sucked.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
as a whole the final five were a bad decision

i actually rewatched a few clips recently and the cast, music and overall presentation were able to elevate these terrible ideas - the olmos reaction to the bit where Tigh walks into the airlock and he just drools all over Jamie Bamber's hand and Bamber, to his credit, just keeps going is awesome

The show deserved a better story than what it got

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

as a whole the final five were a bad decision

i actually rewatched a few clips recently and the cast, music and overall presentation were able to elevate these terrible ideas - the olmos reaction to the bit where Tigh walks into the airlock and he just drools all over Jamie Bamber's hand and Bamber, to his credit, just keeps going is awesome

The show deserved a better story than what it got

I've been told that this is apparently the weirdest possible take one can come up with in regards to this show instead of being an easily chartable delineating point for the show's drop in quality and narrative collapse. What a curious claim to stalk--I mean stake.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Actually, you said it was One Year Later. The fact that the Cylons occupied New Caprica doesn't mean that the five missing models had to be the Tighs, Tyrol, Tory, and Anders. So, yes, very weird take. It's Season 3 that really starts pinning down that the Final Five are these quasi-mystical if not outright deific figures within Cylon society with the glowing white hooded figures and Six talking about how she isn't programmed to think of them. Here's an idea that the writers could've run with re: New Caprica -- seven of the Cylons, and thereby the greater element of their society, think taking control of the humans is a good idea, whereas five of them oppose it. This leads to a schism in the previously united Cylon society, becoming something that both sides don't wish to acknowledge, and eventually culminating in the violent Cylon schism we see. Why are the five models ones we haven't seen? Because they were never as interested in being human/chasing humanity on some wild goose chase, just like Cavil, or think they should abandon and become zen pacifists, or explore five alternate paths of Cylons who wish to abandon the chase for whatever reason.

But this goes back to what is actually the key issue with Battlestar Galactica, in that the Cylons occupy two conceptual spaces depending on the requirements of the plot. Sometimes they're Muslim analogies, sometimes they're transhuman robot sci-fi thought experiments.

If you want to go down that path, you might as well say that the point of failure is the note Baltar gives to Adama where he names a total of twelve but we've only seen the highest as eight. Or whenever the opening titles tells the audience there's twelve Cylon models, because there isn't. There's seven Cylon models, eight historically. But the Final Five never had model numbers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Regardless of how bad the writing got the show was buoyed by strong performances. Even at its nadir in the dog days of season 3 and most of season 4 every cast member gives it their all to sell the likes they're given.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Regardless of how bad the writing got the show was buoyed by strong performances. Even at its nadir in the dog days of season 3 and most of season 4 every cast member gives it their all to sell the likes they're given.

And they do a drat good job of convincing you that what you’re watching is actually worth watching. Them and Bear McCreary’s score. The scene of Tigh walking into the launch tube later to be joined by Tyrol and Anders while Starbuck is trying to get the Viper to hone in on Earth* and D’Anna’s about to nuke the fleet wouldn’t have been anywhere near as memorable if “The Signal” hadn’t been a part of it.

https://youtu.be/CIvppNWZUtc

This song could make waiting in line at the DMV seem like a life or death turning point.

So it always makes me smile whenever I see BSG actors turning up in other stuff or find out that Bear McCreary is doing the music for something. Except for Nicki Clyne, the sex cult thing kind of ruins everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well good thing is Clyne is barely in anything else notable because of the cult took up all her time what with the branding women with a hot iron and being a creep.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Onto Sine Qua Non in Season 4. I'm barely watching these episodes and just sort of flowing through them. That poor model ship, I hope this one was a replica and not the thousand dollar antique Olmos trashed back on season 3.

gently caress, I forgot about Lampkin's ghost cat that he talks to before going crazy for five minutes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I want to like Battlestar Galactica, but I think my biggest problem with it keeps me from being able to enjoy it. And that problem is how literally every other sci-fi franchise decided to take one of the worst aspects of nBSG's myth arc (Can humans and robots coexist? No!) and shove it in to their story in a clumsy, hamhanded way. Like Star Trek, and Mass Effect, for instance.