Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So who's got a line on an advance screener for Space Jam 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
got u fam make sure to watch it before the suits at WB get it taken off the net

https://youtu.be/xhk2gzmU35E

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

egg tats posted:

got u fam make sure to watch it before the suits at WB get it taken off the net

https://youtu.be/xhk2gzmU35E

This video is canon.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It unironically works as a brilliant backstory for Michael Jordan's villainous role in Barkley RPG.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm looking forward to this game.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://twitter.com/Cryptoterra/status/1398301734473109509

Its that one guy from phucker in the woods

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
wow you're right.

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021
Yet another studio succeeds where Barkley 2 didn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UiFpMk0T3g

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Life imitates art...

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Barkley 2 source code has been released

dark togster paperjack posted:

Hey there!

You might be wondering what is going on with everyone's favourite project, Barkley 2.

Well, sit down, because it's a long story.

I am Paperjack, a programmer who got onboard the project because I was also worried about the project's status, so I just contacted the Tales' of Games FaceBook page (yes, I'm old) and I just so happened to appear at the right place and right time.

I will tell you how it all went down from my own viewpoint - keep in mind I was never part of the Original Tales Of Games team, just someone who hopped in trying to help at the very end of the story. What I will comment here is from a purely technical viewpoint and doesn't have anything to do with the team's interpersonal relationships.

The project has a very long history (almost 10 years in the making!) and this is reflected in the project itself. I was the last of a long line of programmers who came into the project, each with their own vision of how things should work, and everyone was doing their best to deliver this huge, ambitious game.

What I want to say is that I don't want to diminish the efforts of anyone - it is clear that there was passion AND effort, and a lot of both. They didn't "steal" the money by lazying around, the developers spent a huge amount of time on all of this, creating code and content.

But why is it that there isn't much to show then, you might ask?

When you work on a complex task, eventually mid-way through it becomes clear that there are better ways to do things.

Developers are then faced with a really hard choice, which is whether to start from the beginning, using the better methods, or to try to compromise and try to combine the new with the old.

Doing it from the beginning is the best option long-term, however it is slow, expensive and boring to do: you're redoing things you've already done, afterall.

Merging the methods tends to be much faster, however it introduces chaos into the system. It is hard to explain, but imagine building a house and halfway through, you decide to switch the plans with ones from a different architect. The new architect takes in mind what's already been built, however their own style and way of making things is very different. As a result, you will have a liveable house, but it will be disjointed.

Usually, people choose the latter because of a very simple reason: budget and time constraints. You don't have the time to start from scratch, because your development time is literally bound to a finite budget (in our case, the KS money + other funds the team members had).

As the game quickly grew in size and scope, this problem happened quite a few times, and the latter choice happened often.

Eventually, the codebase became chaotic, clunky and hard to work with. Things were all over the place, it wasn't clear what did what, legacy code was forgotten and standards were not constant. It became very frustrating to work on anything, but you could not simply restart from scratch and do things correctly because you do not have the money for it.

I do not blame the previous developers for this, it is an extremely common problem in larger software projects, as any experienced software engineer can attest.

When the project was announced and funded via KS, it was the very beginning of the video game Kickstarters. A lot of people just did not know how much it cost to make a video game, nor about the nuances of what it all implied. In short, they overpromised for the money they requested.

But, the main problem - and difference from a lot of other failed projects - was that they *cared*. That’s right, they all really cared about actually delivering the best game they could, but life is never so simple.

The developers were really enthusiastic at the beginning, but the sheer scope of the project and bad pacing (a lot of crunch happened), combined with the worsening technical state of the project, eventually ground them down and they burned out.

Going down the project's files you can literally feel the state of mind they had and how it was getting more and more negative. The last parts that were done are quite hosed up (in a literary sense, rather than qualitative) and you can feel them trying to let out their frustrations.

Eventually, the funds ran out. You might think 120k USD is a lot of money, but just calculate expenses for a couple of people and it's really not that much. It's two years at 12k USD for 5 people (only 1000 USD/mo!).

However, the TOG developers still kept going and developing FOR YEARS, basically for free. This really made me respect their discipline, but it clearly had a very heavy mental toll.

They didn’t just ditch the project, or request more money. Silently, they kept toiling away, chipping at the massive project in the dark.

Combining the burnout and forcing themselves to work for years, what inevitably happened was an explosion. I don't want to give names - neither do I know them, nor have worked with them - but it is a natural result of the environment that was created. I do not blame or accuse them of anything other than giving their best, I just honestly think that it was unavoidable.

Everyone was tired, burned out and penniless: the best kind of situation to ruin friendships and turn disagreements into hostilities. Small slights keep piling up and there’s no good experiences to wipe them away. Marriages get ruined for far less.

I come in the picture just after the explosion (or implosion?) happened, fresh like a flower and ignorant of the drama, and just concentrated on releasing the demo. I fixed some bugs and packaged it up. I did it for free because I was a fan of the original and I did not want my dream to end.

After we released the demo, I looked back at the whole project: the original GM2 project is massive and there's so much remaining that, for me, is unfeasible to complete it without a budget or completely rescoping the project. I selfishly gave the latter a few shots, unsuccessfully.

As more time passed without me or anyone touching the project, I realized that B2 had no future as it is right now.

We finally arrive at today, where after a long discussion, I finally decided to release all the files as open source.

Here they are:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y-HMRcbGIB0sdqZLqpla8IPKiPvzWq95/view?usp=shari...

I hope this post gave you all some more insight on the project and why what happened has happened. I don’t hold bad feelings toward anyone, I just would like for B2 to see the light of the day, someday.

Feel free to contact me for anything, really.

Have a good day!

- PaperJack

Link to the source code

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Barkley 2 released 2 years ahead of schedule.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

That's a whole lot of "I". Apparently PJ... unilaterally decided to release the source code?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fuschia tude posted:

That's a whole lot of "I". Apparently PJ... unilaterally decided to release the source code?

It's a dead game so who care

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

truly a brave hero

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

i'll make the wiki

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the promise came true early

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
cool beans.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the demo is also out now if you're a backer

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I must admit this isn't a plot development I foresaw

I didn't know what show I was buying a ticket for but here we are, I can't say I have any regrets

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

goon project idea: replace all the bad tog ideas guys with 💯good💯 ideas guys

whos up for this life changing challenge

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Glad to hear everything is still on track, looking forward to this game!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

the demo is also out now if you're a backer

i forgot to back it before the kickstarter ended

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can borrow my demo

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My cat loves sitting on my cyberdwarf body pillow, so that's $100 well spent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

o7

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

the promise.....

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Future Days posted:

My only idea is they shoulda made a Mario & Luigi style game instead of focusing so much work on the gun's stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Future Days posted:

Sure, i will make barkley 4 using all the good ideas in this thread.

Tell me when you find any.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So, does this also have the comment code still in? Whole lotta jokes in the documentation I'm sure.v

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Fuschia tude posted:

lol

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

KirbyKhan posted:

So, does this also have the comment code still in? Whole lotta jokes in the documentation I'm sure.v

document_title = "The Book of Five Rings"; // Miyamoto Musashi

document_page[0] = "Gib the weak. Frag the poor. Noscope the elderly. Quickscope the infirm. Fight everyone you see. Break every pot, vase and piece of furniture you see. Karate chop the police. Destroy the minds, hearts and bodies of everyone you meet. Smash priceless family heirlooms. Break windows and fragile objects.";

document_page[1] = "Throw people's glasses to the ground and stomp on them. Scatter stacks of paper across the floor. Shout loudly to wake up the weak. Place traps everywhere. Break down people's doors. This is the true path of the samurai.##- Miyamoto Musashi";

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Gortarius posted:

document_title = "The Book of Five Rings"; // Miyamoto Musashi

document_page[0] = "Gib the weak. Frag the poor. Noscope the elderly. Quickscope the infirm. Fight everyone you see. Break every pot, vase and piece of furniture you see. Karate chop the police. Destroy the minds, hearts and bodies of everyone you meet. Smash priceless family heirlooms. Break windows and fragile objects.";

document_page[1] = "Throw people's glasses to the ground and stomp on them. Scatter stacks of paper across the floor. Shout loudly to wake up the weak. Place traps everywhere. Break down people's doors. This is the true path of the samurai.##- Miyamoto Musashi";

:hai:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

BUTTERWORBS posted:

game looks g reat cant wait for the late 2013 release

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Chas McGill posted:

I'm only looking forward to two computer games - this, and Dark Souls 2.

Hiratio
Sep 19, 2006
i will not allow
Laz just told me about this. I read PaperJack's post and... It's just misinformed.

He is correct that there is a large chunk of unpaid work in B2. Most of my work was unpaid and Laz didn't receive a single penny. Among that, Bisse has work and so do others. So why were we never asked about this decision to release the source? That's our work in there. That said, I personally would have been on board with this from the very beginning when I quit, but when this fiasco went down at the beginning there was such insanity there was no getting through to Liam. So while I agree with releasing the source... You didn't talk to any of us about it. Cool beans.

quote:

Going down the project's files you can literally feel the state of mind they had and how it was getting more and more negative. The last parts that were done are quite hosed up (in a literary sense, rather than qualitative) and you can feel them trying to let out their frustrations.
This existed from beginning. One of the earliest ideas in the game was Hoopz getting tortured in prison and then ending up in a wheelchair. The tone of this game was dark from the beginning for reasons I cannot understand. I personally argued against this when I saw these instances to little success.

quote:

The developers were really enthusiastic at the beginning, but the sheer scope of the project and bad pacing (a lot of crunch happened), combined with the worsening technical state of the project, eventually ground them down and they burned out.
This is false. The game was unplayable when I came on board. By the time me and Laz quit, the game was workable and it's why we were able to get so much done. Technical problems were not the reason this game died or why people got burned out.

quote:

They didn't just ditch the project, or request more money. Silently, they kept toiling away, chipping at the massive project in the dark.
This isn't true. Liam made many unsuccessful funding attempts from various sources during my time on the project. There also was some money that came in from other sources. Also, this idea of silently toiling away... It wasn't like that at all.

There's so much more but that's the most egregious stuff. I don't know why it took nearly two years after no work being done for this to happen, but I don't like how it's being portrayed as this thing where the main problem is that people just cared too drat much. Considering I lived among the people who worked on this game and spent hundreds of hours talking to them, hearing this rose colored glasses version of events is surprising to me.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

rodbeard posted:

My cat loves sitting on my cyberdwarf body pillow, so that's $100 well spent.

pic plz

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

game's

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Dammit, because I was just about to post

BUTTERWORBS posted:

game looks g reat cant wait for the late 2013 release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm looking forward to this game