Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

oldskool posted:

Four Job Fiesta: Free(lancer) Trial in the Wind Shrine

*writes this down for 2022*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The only time no inns would really be an inconvenience is statue grinding pre-submarine, and even then you still have two free heals in Quelb you can ration out. Beyond that, I can probably count the number of inn stays I pay for on one hand just playing normally.

You should still farm tents just for use in dungeons, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cattail Prophet posted:

The only time no inns would really be an inconvenience is statue grinding pre-submarine, and even then you still have two free heals in Quelb you can ration out. Beyond that, I can probably count the number of inn stays I pay for on one hand just playing normally.

You should still farm tents just for use in dungeons, though.

You get a Wind Drake before the submarine. You're only limited between the first visit to Exdeath's castle and Drakenvale.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Uh oh wrong thread, in my defense last month was similarly titled oh noo

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Im looking forward to this. The last time I played FFV was on the PSX collection it was a part of. Origins? Anthology?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gray Stormy posted:

Im looking forward to this. The last time I played FFV was on the PSX collection it was a part of. Origins? Anthology?
You poor bastard.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The only version more reviled than Matrix

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I dunno, I think everyone loves Y Burns and Karl Boss.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hellioning posted:

I dunno, I think everyone loves Y Burns and Karl Boss.

The translation is fun, the load times though.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Everyone would adore the Anthology version of it weren't for the load times.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fair enough. I have never actually played any version but the GBA one.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rosalie_A posted:

Everyone would adore the Anthology version of it weren't for the load times.

And the dummy targets on NED. I'd love for someone to patch the PSX enemy names into GBA.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

And the dummy targets on NED. I'd love for someone to patch the PSX enemy names into GBA.

That's a thing on all non-Matrix versions, isn't it?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rosalie_A posted:

That's a thing on all non-Matrix versions, isn't it?

They are definitely not on the GBA version.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Howdy folks, I've finally finished updating my Balance mod to 0.6 after an apparent 3 year break. Unfortunately, I couldn't add the really cool thing I was working on (because it's a pretty massive change to implement) but I did add some new stuff to make things interesting once again. You can find the changelog here, which details all the changes as well as links to the patch. The short highlights of the new changes in 0.6 are:

• Knights get an undispellable Protect status.
  • Mystic Knights get an undispellable Shell status.
  • A new skill for Dragoons, !DragonCall. It summons one of five possible dragons to fight. (Basically !Release with 5 monsters.)
  • Any mastered job will now allow you to equip 2 skills like Freelancer.

And if you've never played with this before, here's some highlights from the previous versions:

• Monks are now lean, mean, killing machines. They get innate Regen (which itself has also changed), !Time 3 in their skill tree, Spellblade OK Fists, and !Focus may occasionally be replaced with !Rapidfire (this will not remove the initial delay, but all 4 strikes will deal normal damage instead of halved damage.) On top of that, Counter now activates 80% of the time instead of 50%, so expect to see a lot of punching!
  • Thieves get innate Haste, and Artful Dodger will also give innate haste. Gotta go fast!
  • Red Mages have been hitting the books. Red and Dualcast now lets you cast Time3 natively, and they'll eventually learn White/Black/Time4 to let you become a true jack of all trades.
  • Berserkers are rowdy. Since you can't use any commands, Berserkers instead have 3 free skill slots like Mimes. On top of that, most physical commands will be executed by Berserkers if they have it equipped. Check the changelog to find out which ones are compatible!
  • Geomancers are now a heavy duty caster. They have the best magic stat of all the jobs, and they can equip Axes, Hammers and Heavy Armour (unfortunately, no shields!) Gaia also uses a different probability table, with an additional 2% chance of casting Shadowflare.
  • Bards get some better equipment. The Dream Harp has a modest drain effect, much like the Sylph summon (deals damage to one target, then heals the party by a proportional amount), and the Silver Harp will call on nature's allies (i.e. it will use !Animals,)
  • Dancing equipment now improves the chances of getting Sword Dance, with each piece of equipment replacing one of the non-Sword Dance dances. Wear the full set and Sword Dance will be guaranteed!
  • Beastmasters get two new cool whips. The Blitz Whip will cause them to !Release their captured monster 20% of the time, but unlike the command, the monster stays so you can keep whipping them out.The Chain Whip's damage output is not amazing, but will always !Rapidfire.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

FeyerbrandX posted:

Congratulations for volunteering!

Just be sure to Save As when you're done so that you can use e.g. LunarIPS to make a patch. I'll even integrate it in to Exdeath.

Speaking of which, Exdeath 0.7.2 is out.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Can Of Worms posted:

• Geomancers are now a heavy duty caster. They have the best magic stat of all the jobs, and they can equip Axes, Hammers and Heavy Armour (unfortunately, no shields!)

:catstare: Hello yes I am extremely here for heavy-armor casters time to add even more patches to my hack directory.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

First warmup win of the season done, with the Waddler Balance Patch. Runezerkers are absolutely terrifying here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It sounds like the balance patch is mostly about bringing underperforming classes up to the levels of the better classes. Does it do anything to nerf the super-classes, or attempt to boost enemies? I'm curious about the designer's thoughts.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
To be honest, the name "Balance mod" is just something that got attached to the patch because it didn't originally have any name and people wanted some way to refer to it. The changes themselves are built on two fundamental principles:

First, the mod should be supplemental to the Fiesta experience, which means any strategy that works in vanilla should also work with the mod. As such the only real player nerf that's been applied is that Chemists have worse stats. Similarly there are no significant monster changes because I don't want people who play this mod to have to learn a bunch of new information.

The second principle, which is the motivation behind the development, is that the changes should make the worst aspects of the Fiesta less tedious, so I've been focusing on fixing up jobs that have clear weaknesses in a Fiesta setting and also adding more options for one-note jobs. Tweaking bosses so that they're less tedious is also part of this goal, although right now the only change on that end is that Byblos has its MP reduced since a lot of fiesta parties will need to run it out of MP as part of their strategies.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I was considering whether I wanted to do this or not, then I realized: this is the first year I have a Super Famicom, a Trinitron CRT TV, and an Everdrive. I'm totally doing it on actual hardware.

Does anybody stream retro games with a phone pointed at their CRT? I imagine that would be unwatchable but I don't have the hardware to do anything else.

EDIT: I have a fairly lovely composite capture device, it could be better but it would do the job, I would just need a powered composite splitter... tempting...

El Generico fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 11, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

It's :toxx: time, but I'm going to do something different this year. Everyone loves quadzerks, but how about quad geomancers or quad red mages? I'll throw in $10 per regular job that someone does a quad run of, and $20 for Freelancer/Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Cannoneer. Some of those runs will be pretty miserable, but it's for a good cause, and let's face it: thread regulars have done worse.

e: No balance patches or randomizers, please. The point of this is to have the vanilla experience.

I'm amending my toxx to rule out mods that significantly change the experience of working with any particular job.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Everyone should play the Anthology version at least once.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 11, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Can Of Worms posted:

To be honest, the name "Balance mod" is just something that got attached to the patch because it didn't originally have any name and people wanted some way to refer to it. The changes themselves are built on two fundamental principles:

Ahh, thanks for the explanation. Given that it's so Fiesta focused, have you considered calling it the Fiesta mod? Or banquete or something

EDIT: vvv it figures

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 11, 2021

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ahh, thanks for the explanation. Given that it's so Fiesta focused, have you considered calling it the Fiesta mod? Or banquete or something

"Fiesta Mod" already refers to the one that unlocks all jobs and replaces NED with Cactuar.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

yes

YES

:toxx: We Choose Violence
I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrangeAeon posted:

:toxx: We Choose Violence
I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100

Is this "beat the game while holding a full-power Brave Blade" or "make it to the Brave Blade while it still is at full power"? i.e. are you allowing players to flee once they get the thing?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Is this "beat the game while holding a full-power Brave Blade" or "make it to the Brave Blade while it still is at full power"? i.e. are you allowing players to flee once they get the thing?

If you want to get all the way to having a BB and then trash it I guess I won't stop you. Just post proof of having it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Now im really pumped, brave playthroughs are the only challenge left besides seeing how far I can quadzerk or moving into Sullas territory and soloing

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:toxx:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

Edit: $23.20/100 claimed, amount is quadrupled to $0.40 per Lenna until cap is hit

Thanks everyone for participating, did we make it? of course we did, its for a good cause :unsmith:

Koobes fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 31, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Brave Blade is very good, some might say the best

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Assuming you have a Knight to use it, random encounters in World 3 won't be much of a problem when you're hitting for 4k+ damage every turn. The most dangerous part of a Brave Blade run is usually Exdeath's castle, particularly the lava-ridden dragon-dwelling floors.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Plus most stuff in World 3 is so hard to run from that without Chicken Knife procs to fall back on, it's probably faster to just kill poo poo anyway unless you have a guaranteed option.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I have tweeted at gilgabot three times with my registration and haven't gotten a confirmation. Am I missing something here? Other people have successfully registered since I started trying.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Anyone know what the blank spot at the bottom of the run list is? Is that something new for this year?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

FeyerbrandX posted:

So I finally came up with an idea for a :toxx:

I want new people to suffer for whenever I decide to make "art"

So I want you guys to encourage someone to play. Heck, even just get them to pre-register so that I can water the tree first.

1 buck per player who shows me a clean player page with 0's all the way down. Let's say a limit of 50. (as of 6-3, 10/50 takers, donated first batch for toxx on 6/4)

But wait, there's more!

10 bucks per new player who clears NED. Limit $250 (they don't need to be in the original 50, just someone who has a clear player page but a star on their 2021 run.)

e: Not limiting this to SA, so if you know anyone who just does twitter or whatever I'll honor them there as well. https://twitter.com/feyerbrandx/status/1399183494874648582

You rang?

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=ZinfandelZedTee

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Hey all, I signed up for the Fiesta on twitter a few days ago, cause I'd always meant to finally play and finish this game. All previous attempts I had gotten distracted early on, so I want to get all the way through this time.

I signed up for Natural, and am excited to see what I'll get.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Various Meat Products posted:

I have tweeted at gilgabot three times with my registration and haven't gotten a confirmation. Am I missing something here? Other people have successfully registered since I started trying.

e: oh, the bot ran out of tweets, nevermind

palindrome fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

wokow6 posted:

Hey all, I signed up for the Fiesta on twitter a few days ago, cause I'd always meant to finally play and finish this game. All previous attempts I had gotten distracted early on, so I want to get all the way through this time.

I signed up for Natural, and am excited to see what I'll get.

While I encourage everyone to play how they like, I also recommend not using Natural. It removes a key part of FFV, the ability to equip secondary skills.