Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schmug
May 20, 2007

So I decided to continue on with the effort post(s) I started in GBS and move it into it's own thread here. Figured here was as good of a place as any. Original post in the OSHA thread is found below. I will try and update when I can up to and through run off of a part. Hope you all enjoy the ride...

So my work bought a little machine. It's been a long time coming...

That is one of six crates that have been on their way from Italy for about 2-1/2 years now.

Well it now looks like this in our side lot.

According to the driver that one alone weighs 76,000(+).

Purdy Tractor

There are like 5 more like it, although slightly smaller.

Here is where you locate 16 tow motors to lift it off of the bed

So I somehow got talked into working for a bit and missed them moving the largest crate... so so sorry. Rest assured I will not be doing anything except poo poo posting the rest of the day. Please forgive me.
But I did manage to get them squeezing it in the back overhead. Soooo close to not making it.

fwiw, there is a tow motor of equal size on the other side of the crate moving in reverse.

Here is the main machining unit laid out on a nice shiny piece of floor.

10' ladder for reference...It supposedly weighed 76,000 in the crate
Another view

wait, something doesn't look quite right....

OOPS

I'm sure that will buff right out...

And for reference this is what it does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjL9ToCpMko
Ours is much larger/newer model(G397 whatever the gently caress that means) of that same machine. It was custom built and took over two years from purchase to delivery to get. Covid may have slowed that down a bit.

Long story short it's a 5-axis rotary transfer machine that will load, fully machine, deburr, wash, unload, and pack Brass CGA valves in ~ 6 seconds. All of that for the low low starting cost of 3.5million dollars.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3904642&pagenumber=893&perpage=40#post515379163

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

Day two assembly moving right along...

Parts hopper. Thing has to be 20' tall.

Coolant tank

Drivers and power supply's and such cabinet

General footprint:

schmug fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 11, 2021

schmug
May 20, 2007

Some random questions from the previous thread:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yes
More
Please

Also, why you guys need all these valves?
The world needs all these valves. If a gas goes through something, we probably make a valve for it. Literally.

schmug posted:

LAUGHMYFUCKINGASSOFF I just found out at least three of the spindles on the top of the machine are cocked/crooked/bent/dented/not good from hitting something sometime by someone somewhere
still laughing about this

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you guys manufacture only brass valves, or is that used for other stuff, too?
Mainly brass, but a little of most other common "metals" as well. Quite a bit of aluminum, actually. This machine will be used exclusively for brass though.

TjyvTompa posted:

There's not many things in this world that makes me jealous but getting to drive one of those trucks is one of them.
Thanks for the pictures and interesting information.
you and me both. No problem at all. Glad you appreciate it! It's what I do and not too many people I'm friends with understand it, so here we are...

schmug fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 11, 2021

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Very interesting. I was wondering how the hell you program something like this. Is each station running its own program or are there just a ton of work offsets? Cam or programmed at the machine? I started doing 5 axis stuff recently, but in a normal type of CNC machine and that feels plenty busy so far, I don't know where I'd start for something like that.

schmug
May 20, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Very interesting. I was wondering how the hell you program something like this. Is each station running its own program or are there just a ton of work offsets? Cam or programmed at the machine? I started doing 5 axis stuff recently, but in a normal type of CNC machine and that feels plenty busy so far, I don't know where I'd start for something like that.

Each station has it its own program. There are 11 machining stations, plus a load and unload station. Each machining station has 3 CNC controlled spindles for it. Each jaw set(station) rotates across an axis'.

Believe it or not we are still working out the programming of it. It's coming turnkey with two jobs programmed for it, but I'm on the hook after that. I'm really hoping it has some kind of software included because I guarantee Mastercam doesn't support something like that. Maybe NX or something, but that poo poo is out of our price range. It does have Siemens controls though, so who knows...

schmug fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 11, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

That's a sweet machine. I saw a baby brother to one of these making pump bodies a few years ago. Super cool to watch it work. The enormous explosion of coolant was amazing.

I work at a tier 3 plunge grinding "something" that goes into valves like that, I have no idea who the final customer is though, could be you.

How does the raw brass get into the machine? Bar feeder? Robot? Vibe bowl?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Yooper posted:

That's a sweet machine. I saw a baby brother to one of these making pump bodies a few years ago. Super cool to watch it work. The enormous explosion of coolant was amazing.

I work at a tier 3 plunge grinding "something" that goes into valves like that, I have no idea who the final customer is though, could be you.

How does the raw brass get into the machine? Bar feeder? Robot? Vibe bowl?

Bar is cast-slugged-forged and shipped to us. We used to do all our own casting and forging as well, but monies got involved or something. After we receive the forgings they then get dumped into a giant hopper(pictured above) then on to a conveyor then to a to robot to load/unload.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I used to broker flatbed shipments and also CNC machines are way cool so now I have a "very large" boner.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Voted one-thread does not feature any big asses, and the machine does not make big asses either!

Very cool machine OP. Italians make very good machines IME. I wonder how many manual humans machinists making valves it is equivalent to.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Did you build a big castle with the big box afterwards?

schmug
May 20, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I used to broker flatbed shipments and also CNC machines are way cool so now I have a "very large" boner.

I get it. Just watching the riggers do their thing is pretty amazing in itself.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Voted one-thread does not feature any big asses, and the machine does not make big asses either!

Very cool machine OP. Italians make very good machines IME. I wonder how many manual humans machinists making valves it is equivalent to.

Side story on these Italian machines. This type and size of machine has two main competitors that make basically the same machine with different names and they are all located in some "little valley" over there. Apparently the owners are all related to each other. We had quotes from all three. It kind of makes you think....

We have versions from all three in our shop.

schmug fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 12, 2021

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That's incredible. We used to make parts similar to (but less complex than) that where I work but we did it on a single spindle machine and it took like 8 setups.

I don't envy you trying to learn how to program that thing. It amuses me that your company would buy a machine like that but balks at the software cost. Typical.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's incredible. We used to make parts similar to (but less complex than) that where I work but we did it on a single spindle machine and it took like 8 setups.

I don't envy you trying to learn how to program that thing. It amuses me that your company would buy a machine like that but balks at the software cost. Typical.

amusing, and very typical, yes. I've been asking about software for this thing for well over a year.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

schmug posted:

Side story on these Italian machines. This type and size of machine has two main competitors that make basically the same machine with different names and they are all located in some "little valley" over there. Apparently the owners are all related to each other. We had quotes from all three. It kind of makes you think....

It’s kind of the same in the woodworking world. There’s 2 companies that make really good bandsaws and they’re 20min away from each other. People think of Germany or Switzerland when they think of high-end niche manufacturing but northern Italy has a much bigger export/machinery manufacturing mittelstand than people realize. SCM is a big woodworking machinery manufacturer there too that’s also apparently one of Europe’s largest/best foundries and makes parts for trains and Lamborghinis and tractors and poo poo on the side??

These people make insanely huge bandsaws for cutting slabs of aluminum: https://instagram.com/bandsawfacts?utm_medium=copy_link

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks, those are some impressive photographs.

I recently bought some brass valves for water and never really considered how they had been milled. I guess this makes more sense that you'd have a gigantic machine doing it automatically.

Now, talk to me. What are the tolerances here on the machining? (Not that I'd understand but I'll just nod politely.)

schmug
May 20, 2007

kimihia posted:

Thanks, those are some impressive photographs.

I recently bought some brass valves for water and never really considered how they had been milled. I guess this makes more sense that you'd have a gigantic machine doing it automatically.

Now, talk to me. What are the tolerances here on the machining? (Not that I'd understand but I'll just nod politely.)

We mostly specialize in compressed gas valves, but the machining processes are the same for the most part. As far as tolerances go it's a pretty standard +/.005" for most, but we get down to +/-.0005" in some critical applications. RA, or surface finishes, are more of an issue most of time since compressed gasses really need to be sealed at certain areas on the valve(s) or bad stuff can happen.

Will be posting some new stuff soon, but this build is taking quite some time and most of it is pretty mundane,

schmug
May 20, 2007

On a side note I was speaking with one of the builders and he said they just built a machine whose coolant tank/system was bigger than our main machining area. Took them three months to bring the whole thing into operation. So fwiw Big rear end Machine is a very relative term.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

schmug posted:

.... So fwiw Big rear end Machine is a very relative term.

Indeed. For a fun time look up the lathes they used to make the guns for battleships.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I live semi-near this monstrosity. If you look close you can see a couple guys standing in front of it.

It's one of two 50,000 ton presses in the US used for forging major aircraft components. Here's an interesting article on them.

https://boingboing.net/2012/02/13/machines.html

Our contracted internal auditor has been there and saw it in person, I'm very jealous of him.

Also the Mesta catalog linked near the end of the article (here: http://archive.org/details/plantproductofme00mest/page/n5/mode/2up?view=theater) is a definite pro-click.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 18, 2021

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
How many margaritas per minute (mpm) can this sucker crank out?

schmug
May 20, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

How many margaritas per minute (mpm) can this sucker crank out?

lol that thread

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

schmug posted:

Theres some Tiawanese machine makers for EDMs that are like this. one started based on old Fanuc engineers that went there to make their own company. Then some of those engineers went down the road to make their own. Literally the two machines are almost identical but with different control systems. Work great and are dependable, along with cheaper then most other machine makers. Parts are cheap to which is a major plus. One of the big claims to fame was that they were some of the first to make bigger machines with 20 inch plus z axis, something unheard of for the traditional manufactures for a long time.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Well the machine is coming along...

Not your mom's spaghetti:

Some of it in it's new home:

Overall it's about 75% put together. We still have about week of wiring to do do plus a wash line to install, but here are some overall views of it:

And some close ups up the working bits
Do Not Enter Here:

Wish I could have gotten more pictures of the assembly, some of which were OSHA af, but there we like 8 guys working on it all at the same time and it was just too hectic. Tell you what though, the Italians, or these ones anyways DO NOT gently caress AROUND. It was very impressive to see them put this thing together in about a week.

Next up is about two weeks of training fml. I will hopefully have some more updates in the next couple weeks...

schmug
May 20, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Theres some Tiawanese machine makers for EDMs that are like this. one started based on old Fanuc engineers that went there to make their own company. Then some of those engineers went down the road to make their own. Literally the two machines are almost identical but with different control systems. Work great and are dependable, along with cheaper then most other machine makers. Parts are cheap to which is a major plus. One of the big claims to fame was that they were some of the first to make bigger machines with 20 inch plus z axis, something unheard of for the traditional manufactures for a long time.

Yeah, seems you find this a lot in this industry. Most really. I find the history of it fascinating for some reason though.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It wasn't very clear from the video.. does this just process one kind of valve, or is it flexible enough to do multiple types?

schmug
May 20, 2007

devicenull posted:

It wasn't very clear from the video.. does this just process one kind of valve, or is it flexible enough to do multiple types?

Only limited to the machining envelope and tooling. We will be running 100's of different types of valves across this machine. They are all very similar though.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Once you have it programmed, how easy is it to run? Could an idiot select the right program off a menu and just let it run?

There's a Men's Shed which just received an old CnC machine. ("Men's Shed" is an organisation that finds warehouses in different areas and sets them up with a charter, machinery, tools, and materials for retired folks to make things.) The guy who donated the machine gave them a quick tutorial but it's all too complex. They're just going to use it as an old fashioned drill press.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

What kind of CNC? When you say drill press I assume it's a knee mill.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

schmug posted:

Well the machine is coming along...

Not your mom's spaghetti:

Overall it's about 75% put together. We still have about week of wiring to do do plus a wash line to install, but here are some overall views of it:

I'm kinda surprised your company's logo isn't plastered on every available facet.

schmug
May 20, 2007

kimihia posted:

Once you have it programmed, how easy is it to run? Could an idiot select the right program off a menu and just let it run?

There's a Men's Shed which just received an old CnC machine. ("Men's Shed" is an organisation that finds warehouses in different areas and sets them up with a charter, machinery, tools, and materials for retired folks to make things.) The guy who donated the machine gave them a quick tutorial but it's all too complex. They're just going to use it as an old fashioned drill press.
Once set up, it's fully automated, but no, not just any idiot can set it up.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm kinda surprised your company's logo isn't plastered on every available facet.
Oh it will be eventually.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

When do we get an update on The Machine?
I wanna see this baby in action - video!!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Please update us on the state of the Machine?

schmug
May 20, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Please update us on the state of the Machine?

Well It's only been a year but here goes the latest! It's been a bitch. Long story shory we(I) have had nothing but problems with this machine and I have had to deal with the brunt of it.

That being said here are a couple short clips and pics to show what it's supposed to do non-stop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSK0hSkYPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6owVGm-Q4B8

A couple pics of inside the machine:

Pics of the part being machined:

That little bitch takes just over 14 seconds to machine. It should take about 8. Good times.

schmug fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 11, 2023

schmug
May 20, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Some companies definitely do this. We have a couple machines with our logo on them.
I went to Italy last summer to visit the company that made this machine, They will paint it what ever color, and even brand it! There is a pretty substantial tooling manufacturer in Isreal that has the star of david embossed on their machines. Think they had 10 of them being built when I was there. Looked pretty badass, to be honest.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Why doesn’t your $3.5mn machine work flawlessly aside from :italy:

(That’s a joke the Italians make wonderful machines, at least in the woodworking world)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Kinda wild to me to see that expensive of a machine, and all the complex custom form tools are just running in CAT40 ER collet chucks and sidelock holders. If it works it works, but I'm pretty used to hydraulic and shrinkfit, and it seems like holders would be a drop in the bucket compared to the machine!

schmug posted:

That little bitch takes just over 14 seconds to machine. It should take about 8. Good times.

Is that one of the parts that they provided turnkey programs for? It's never a good sign when the people manufacturing the machine can't meet the rate they promised (and I've been on that side!) Sometimes the proposals group doesn't know what they're talking about...

schmug posted:

Some companies definitely do this. We have a couple machines with our logo on them.
I went to Italy last summer to visit the company that made this machine, They will paint it what ever color, and even brand it! There is a pretty substantial tooling manufacturer in Isreal that has the star of david embossed on their machines. Think they had 10 of them being built when I was there. Looked pretty badass, to be honest.

We'd repaint the mills any color the customer wanted. We had one customer give us a lengthy spec sheet with their requirements, including that it had to match their specific shade of white. I think it was a slightly bluer shade, the normal paint was just a little bit closer to eggshell. Sure, we'll add the paint to the quote, no problem. Machines were all done, they came to visit, and their PM looked at their machine, then one of our standard machines right by it. "That looks basically the same. Why the heck did we bother requesting the custom color?" No idea, but thank you for the $5k!

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I'm kinda surprised that you can get a big stand alone cnc factory like that for $3.5m I'd have thought that sort of thing would be in the $10m price range or maybe only available for lease, It's just wild to me how fast technology moves.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Why doesn’t your $3.5mn machine work flawlessly aside from :italy:

(That’s a joke the Italians make wonderful machines, at least in the woodworking world)

I honestly blaim some of it on Covid. It was built right in the height of it.

coldpudding posted:

I'm kinda surprised that you can get a big stand alone cnc factory like that for $3.5m I'd have thought that sort of thing would be in the $10m price range or maybe only available for lease, It's just wild to me how fast technology moves.

Oh, their are much fancier version of this out there. We are looking at one right now with 35 spindles that are all CNC. And another one in a couple years...fingers crossed.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Karia posted:

Kinda wild to me to see that expensive of a machine, and all the complex custom form tools are just running in CAT40 ER collet chucks and sidelock holders. If it works it works, but I'm pretty used to hydraulic and shrinkfit, and it seems like holders would be a drop in the bucket compared to the machine!

Is that one of the parts that they provided turnkey programs for? It's never a good sign when the people manufacturing the machine can't meet the rate they promised (and I've been on that side!) Sometimes the proposals group doesn't know what they're talking about...

We'd repaint the mills any color the customer wanted. We had one customer give us a lengthy spec sheet with their requirements, including that it had to match their specific shade of white. I think it was a slightly bluer shade, the normal paint was just a little bit closer to eggshell. Sure, we'll add the paint to the quote, no problem. Machines were all done, they came to visit, and their PM looked at their machine, then one of our standard machines right by it. "That looks basically the same. Why the heck did we bother requesting the custom color?" No idea, but thank you for the $5k!

On the cost of tooling: CAT 40 has been working for our company for as lonf as they have been around. We already have a serious ammount of money invested in them for all of our other machines, as well as some of the tools are interchangable and work on the other machine with a pull stud swap. Same goes for the shrink fit as well.

Nope, that's part of the problem. It was all on "us". They(the powers that be) only had them turnkey two products. Then they nickle and dimed the manufacturer on price until it was a shell of what it should have been. I've already had to figure out how to tool up and prgrom ~10 more with way less capacilities than what I was lead to believe I was getting. I now get "final say" on machine builds....money not-withstanding of couse lol. At least I can give them an "I told you so" when something doesn't do what I wanted it to do because of price!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Management nickle & dimeing is always frustrating, but hot drat if that kind of machinery isn't cool as gently caress 😳.