Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If Revelation is a sequel to the 80’s series I wonder if that means New Adventures isn’t canon anymore

Edit: Kevin Smith apparently said yesterday this show is more a 'spiritual sequel' than a literal one (meaning Revelation is kind of a semi-reboot as well)

Also I heard that Revelation is apparently going to be a limited 10 episode series in total (split into two sets of 5 episodes)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I would rather have had Dreamworks handle it again (though that might be impossible at this point since they’ve gone over to Hulu), from what I can find the staff behind the upcoming CGI He-Man show seem to have a pretty good track record for the most part so I hope they won’t be afraid to take a few risks with the brand.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The YouTube channel Overly Sarcastic Productions put out a podcast-style video about Glimmer's and Catra's parallel storylines in Season 4. Really it's an excuse for the one host to gush about SPoP for 40 minutes. I'm here for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNvzDmv9-qw

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, did SPoP ever get a DVD/BD release?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Is it just me or does Teela's new outfit look vaguely She-Ra-like?

Also, I really hope there was someone on the staff for this new show whose main job was to stop Kevin Smith from doing peak Kevin Smith stuff. Maybe a shock collar.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is it just me or does Teela's new outfit look vaguely She-Ra-like?

Also, I really hope there was someone on the staff for this new show whose main job was to stop Kevin Smith from doing peak Kevin Smith stuff. Maybe a shock collar.

How much influence does Smith have over this project (like is he writing it or more like a producer/showrunner)? Because he doesn’t exactly have the best track record in my opinion (though again, visually the show looks nice and the trailer managed to get me sufficiently interested in the series).

If it’s true that this is a limited run series I imagine we should start getting info on the other show that’s coming out before too much longer now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Revelation is apparently getting a comic as well:

https://www.ign.com/articles/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-prequel-comic-he-man

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

How much influence does Smith have over this project (like is he writing it or more like a producer/showrunner)? Because he doesn’t exactly have the best track record in my opinion (though again, visually the show looks nice and the trailer managed to get me sufficiently interested in the series).

Smith is the showrunner/director, and I believe wrote a few episodes too from what he has said on his YouTube show. I may be misremembering some stuff. He's definitely the head person in charge of the show's production though, even if he ultimately has bosses in Mattel or whatever. He has spoken several times about enjoyment editing the show, and was most likely the reason that the show has several bigger names like Mark Hamill attached since he has worked with Hamill several times in the past.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, Marc Bernardin is one of the writers on it as well as Smith's friend and co-host of their YouTube show so I expect he has a good bit of influence, even if it's not technically his job. I haven't seen anything he's written (that I know of, at least) but he always seems to prefer stuff with a more mature tone that focuses on character and plot development over stylistic action or comedy. That said, Smith has noted during said YouTube show that he tended to refrain from doing anything of his usual style because He-Man is someone else's property and one he has a lot of love for personally.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 12, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure about the 2002 series but pretty much every incarnation of the franchise from the original up to SPoP has been at least a little goofy at times (some more than others) so I hope Revelation won’t be completely serious the whole way through and have a little levity here and there.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Skeletor had better NYA in this. That poo poo is non-negotiable. You bill yourself as a direct continuation of the old series, you get that jaundiced calcium-faced motherfucker to go NYA.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ironslave posted:

Skeletor had better NYA in this. That poo poo is non-negotiable. You bill yourself as a direct continuation of the old series, you get that jaundiced calcium-faced motherfucker to go NYA.

I forget, did he ever NYA in the 2002 series?

But yeah, agreed (I bet Hamill could pull it off decently as well). At the very least he better do it at least once in the longer running CGI series (we still don’t have any cast info for that one yet do we?). An utterance of the phrase “royal boob” would also be appreciated.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 13, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, couple new details from Kevin:

-There will be an intro sequence that gives new audiences a backstory, the theme is described as 'sofa king metal'

-The first five episodes will be homages to movies from the 1980s:
Episode One: Superman II
Episode Two: Temple of Doom
Episode Three: Batman '89
Epiosde Four: HellRaizer
Episode Five: Masters of the Universe (presumably the cliff-hanger is Skeletor becomes a god like he does in the movie)

-Smith defended the allegations that the show will be 'woke', citing that it's no less 'woke' than the original, pointing out Teela and Evil-Lyn always had agency, and The Sorceress was always the most powerful character on the show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And a slightly more in depth look from the man himself:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GpsmEcGmUBQ

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Not sure about the 2002 series but pretty much every incarnation of the franchise from the original up to SPoP has been at least a little goofy at times (some more than others) so I hope Revelation won’t be completely serious the whole way through and have a little levity here and there.

Kevin Smith talks pretty extensively about the show in this week's episode of his YouTube show at:

https://youtu.be/nyKia_byCfA?t=2568

He talks about it from about 42:48 seconds in (which it should automatically go to) until just before 1:19:00 minutes, for a total of about 37 minutes; though most of the interesting stuff is in the first ten minutes or so of discussion and after that it's mostly him discussing online reception to the trailer, rumors about the show and such. There is still some good stuff sprinkled in here and there, but it's mostly front loaded. Still, it does relate to Masters of the Universe: Revelation for anyone who cares.

Some highlights for those who don't care to watch it:

• The show will be split in two halves, with the first part being 5 episodes that are releasing on July 23rd and presumably another 5 episodes in the second half at some indeterminate point.
  • He's working on those episodes now, and it sounds like the scripts and probably a lot of the animation are done and it's mostly scoring, editing etc. that's going on so they probably won't be 2 years out or anything.
  • He says that he doesn't really understand the idea that the show is being woke by having He-Man need his friends help, or having Teela and Evil-Lynn appear regularly, because both of those things happened in the original show too.
  • As a continuation of the above, he says he watched every episode of the original show, along with some of the 2002 show as research and implies the other writers watched a good chunk of them too.
  • His show is basically meant for grown up fans of the original show, specifically Ted Biaselli (not sure about that spelling) of Netflix, while the other He-Man show Netflix is making is meant to draw in new fans.
  • Ted Biaselli basically hired Kevin with the mandate that he make the show that Ted had thought he was watching as a kid, where every week he thought Skeletor was going to kill He-Man and there were actual stakes; he wanted Kevin to treat the property seriously, as if it was Shakespeare, just to see what that'd look like
  • Further to that he did say that while the show is treating the story seriously, and there are stakes, there is still some humor and levity as in the original show;
  • He doesn't know anymore than any other random person about any movie that may be being made, since Mattel are always trying to get one off the ground.
  • Ted Biaselli is also the one who decided on using "Holding Out For A Hero" by Bonnie Tyler as the music for the trailer apparently, since when they were trying to decide what track to put to it he noted that when he was a kid he'd put on the Footloose soundtrack and play with his He-Man figures so he wanted everyone to feel like he felt as a kid, essentially.
  • During production the show's name was Masters of the Universe: End of the Universe, though they eventually changed the subtitle to Revelation obviously.
  • The show does feature Teela fairly prominently, but the central story is all about Adam/He-Man.
  • There'll be a story trailer at some point before the show debuts on July 23rd, which will clarify further what the story will be about.
  • He'll be holding a fan event at his comic store the day it drops, since he'll be back in Jersey at the time, and they'll be giving out free toys/merch to kids under ten; so if someone here lives in that area and has kids, that might be something to go to.
  • Dark Horse are doing a tie in prequel comic, which is written by one of the show's writers.

Also, it wasn't indicated in that particular episode, but about two years back when he was first speaking about working on the show he noted that when it came to action choreography he left a lot of it to the animators at Powerhouse; that he basically wrote in the script "insert action scene here", and just let them do what they wanted, because they'd know more about how to create an exciting action piece than he would. He did note in this episode that while he originally wanted to put one action scene in every episode since it's still an action show at the end of the day, that when he saw how good the action that Powerhouse was coming up with was (using the shot of Skeletor throwing out a big magic fist as an example) that he started trying to put in more action, allocating for two action scenes in some episodes etc.

As I said, Kevin does indicate that there is some humor in the show. How well it balances the humor with a serious story is another matter, but it apparently tries, since you wondered about it. That aside, the short episode order (10 episodes total from the sounds of it) makes me wonder if the episodes won't be longer than the usual 22ish minutes?

Ironslave posted:

Did he say that regularly in the original show? I watched it as a kid, but wasn't devoted to it by any means, and can barely remember it now. Searching for videos of him saying it on YouTube only turns up one or two instances that are in a couple of videos, so it seems like a thing that only happened a few times.

Larryb posted:

And a slightly more in depth look from the man himself:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GpsmEcGmUBQ

I barely remember the original show, so I have no idea what was or wasn't hinted at with Teela in the original show, but never followed up on that he could be talking about, but I'd take a guess she's secretly related to either He-Man, or, more likely (since She-Ra is already a female He-Man for all intents and purposes) to Skeletor.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 15, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, do we know anything else about the other He-Man show yet (like a release date, voice cast, etc)?

As far as I’m aware we’ve only got the following so far:

-The show will be a complete reboot ala SPoP (though how much this particular team will be willing/able to change remains to be seen) and will just be called Masters of The Universe

-The show will be CGI and run much longer than Revelation will (as far as I’ve heard it’s basically the main event while Revelation is just a short little warmup meant for the older fanbase)

-The show is being handled by another studio called House of Cool (who have apparently assisted in some big name shows/movies in the past such as Despicable Me)

-Thanks to some toy leaks a little while back we have at least some preliminary designs of both He-Man and Skeletor (click the question mark by my name, the toy pictures should be on the very first page)

-“I have the power” is now “We have the power”

Anything else I’m forgetting that’s been revealed about it yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 15, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

“I have the power” is now “We have the power”

Huh, that's a weird change. I guess it was always applied to multiple beings, since Cringer changed to Battle-Cat when Adam changed to He-Man, but is it now a case of more people than Adam changing too; to say it's a "we" instead of "I"? Or is it purely a thematic thing, where yeah, technically only Adam transforms (of people, at least), but everyone is part of the same team, so they all have the power; even though they really don't. Or maybe they all can transform depending on who's using the sword, I guess? And other characters like Teela or Man-at-Arms will do so with their own transformation on occasion? At which point Adam probably needs to be a bit more capable on his own terms, if he's going to be around as himself occasionally while someone else is transformed.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 15, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not completely sure about that one as I only heard it second hand but that’d make sense, yeah. Anybody got a source for that point out of curiosity?

At the very least, I’m hoping this series will have the guts to take some risks with the characters the way SPoP did (or at the very least, give them some extra depth and agency).

To be completely honest, I’m actually more curious about that series at the moment than I am about Revelation.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 15, 2021

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I like the change from I to We, but it's a real waste if they start with it being We have the power. Passing up on the chance to do it in story and have a we are Groot moment.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

tsob posted:

I barely remember the original show, so I have no idea what was or wasn't hinted at with Teela in the original show, but never followed up on that he could be talking about, but I'd take a guess she's secretly related to either He-Man, or, more likely (since She-Ra is already a female He-Man for all intents and purposes) to Skeletor.

If I recall correctly Teela is the secret daughter of Man-At-Arms and the Sorceress. She finds out at one point that the man she considered to be her adoptive father is in fact her real father. I'm not sure if they ever got around to her finding out about her mother, but I recall that Teela fulfilling her destiny would eventually mean becoming the next Sorceress, which would more or less transform her into a mystical hermit-priestess-nun confined to Castle Grayskull and remove her from nearly all human contact.
Feel free to correct me, it's been a while, and this info may well come from the 2002 show and not the original.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the first half of Revelation at least will be more Teela focused anyway so I could see them exploring something along those lines (and if they don’t have enough time there’s always the CGI series afterwards)

Speaking of, given how short Revelation is going to be I wonder if the individual episodes will be a little longer to make up for it (though it seems like they’ll at least be splitting it up into two parts as opposed to dropping all 10 episodes on us at once)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tsob posted:

Huh, that's a weird change. I guess it was always applied to multiple beings, since Cringer changed to Battle-Cat when Adam changed to He-Man, but is it now a case of more people than Adam changing too; to say it's a "we" instead of "I"? Or is it purely a thematic thing, where yeah, technically only Adam transforms (of people, at least), but everyone is part of the same team, so they all have the power; even though they really don't. Or maybe they all can transform depending on who's using the sword, I guess? And other characters like Teela or Man-at-Arms will do so with their own transformation on occasion? At which point Adam probably needs to be a bit more capable on his own terms, if he's going to be around as himself occasionally while someone else is transformed.

It's because Adam and He-Man are two different people, clearly :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently it came from a soundbyte in a Twitter presentation a little while back. I forget the link though so if anyone can dig it up for me that’d be great.

Also there’s a book or something coming out related to the reboot implying that this is a team show and several characters share the power (which sounds interesting if handled right)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Binging through season 5, I found it funny that the enemy is referred to as "Horde Prime" like one time, and forever after just as "Prime". It makes almost every sentence sound like a dig at Amazon's rival streaming service. "Prime wants to take over everything", "Prime will not rest until he has conquered the universe"... I wonder if it was intentional.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, how much was Horde Prime involved with the 80’s series? I know in SPoP he takes over as the primary antagonist after a while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

I forget, how much was Horde Prime involved with the 80’s series? I know in SPoP he takes over as the primary antagonist after a while.

He's always mostly just Hordak's boss. The smog and giant robot hand that threatens Hordak if he doesn't make it work THIS time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

He's always mostly just Hordak's boss. The smog and giant robot hand that threatens Hordak if he doesn't make it work THIS time.

I think he might have had a physical body in one of the comics/children’s books if I recall correctly (which is also the only place the original Double Trouble appeared aside from the toyline) but he definitely had more a of a presence in the Netflix show.

Out of curiosity, did SPoP ever get a full DVD release (I know that’s not super common for Netflix exclusive shows though)?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You can get 1-3 on Amazon right now for like $15 USD.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

You can get 1-3 on Amazon right now for like $15 USD.

What about 4 and 5? Pretty much every other series got a full release to my knowledge so it’d be weird if they just stopped this one halfway through.

Also any particularly interesting bonus features on the three that do exist?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 16, 2021

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

He's also implied to be Hordak's far more successful brother, the dynamic beween them is this weird sitcom thing where Hordak is desperate to impress Horde Prime and terrified of losing his backwater colonial governor position. Which now that I think about it, may have been folded into to the "endless clones that call each other brother" thing in SPoP.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently Revelation will be released in two 5 episode parts, the first one drops July 23 but for some reason we won’t get the rest until January of next year.

I’m curious if the 3D series will start in the gap between the two then or if they’ll hold off until the first series is finished. I wouldn’t be surprised if the latter threw in some She-Ra content as well (though whether said characters will be reverted back to being closer to their 80’s counterparts remains to be seen).

Also, movie/special idea: Take a page from the TMNT special a while back and do a story where EVERY existing He-Man/She-Ra continuity from the original to present winds up intersecting somehow (the concept of multiple Skeletors arguing amongst themselves would probably be worth it alone)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 18, 2021

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Larryb posted:

Also, movie/special idea: Take a page from the TMNT special a while back and do a story where EVERY existing He-Man/She-Ra continuity from the original to present winds up intersecting somehow (the concept of multiple Skeletors arguing amongst themselves would probably be worth it alone)

There was a six-part comic series recently titled "He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse". I haven't read it yet, but from what I saw in reviews it may be very much what you're looking for.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

There was a six-part comic series recently titled "He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse". I haven't read it yet, but from what I saw in reviews it may be very much what you're looking for.

Neat, is SPoP included in the mix?

Come to think of it, has the Netflix She-Ra gotten any other official stories (such as comics and the like) besides what's presented in the series itself? And if so, are any of them worth checking out?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 18, 2021

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Larryb posted:

Again: Haven't read it yet :)

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, has the Netflix She-Ra gotten any other official stories (such as comics and the like) besides what's presented in the series itself? And if so, are any of them worth checking out?

Apart from a few books for very young kids, there is one graphic novel, "The Legend of the Fire Princess", written by some of the show's authors. Haven't read that one either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems interesting based on the description at least:

https://she-raandtheprincessesofpower.fandom.com/wiki/She-Ra:_Legend_of_the_Fire_Princess

The wiki article also mentions that it’s the fourth spin-off story written for the series, what were the others in that case?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Larryb posted:

Seems interesting based on the description at least:

https://she-raandtheprincessesofpower.fandom.com/wiki/She-Ra:_Legend_of_the_Fire_Princess

The wiki article also mentions that it’s the fourth spin-off story written for the series, what were the others in that case?

Mini-novels for young kids. Also I think an Adora journal?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Larryb posted:

Update: I have now read it, and She-Ra (in whatever incarnation) isn't even mentioned.
The story does, however, feature the Dolph Lundgren movie version, the Filmation universe, the original minicomics timeline, the 2002 reboot, the "New Adventures" space version, Anti-Eternia from the German audio dramas, and even the "Tappers of Grayskull" mobile game character in a prominent role. Frankly, I found it to be a bit of a jumbled mess. Lots of deep cuts for old-school fans (and I'm sure I've missed a ton of the references), and someone who is more steeped in the lore than me might enjoy it more, but all in all I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new Revelation trailer just got leaked:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hUGVyqiKF44

Note that a lot of the voices have been deepened by the uploader to avoid a copyright strike.

Here’s another leaked clip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xsXS8SeCUKI

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 2, 2021

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Larryb posted:

A new Revelation trailer just got leaked:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hUGVyqiKF44

Note that a lot of the voices have been deepened by the uploader to avoid a copyright strike.

Here's the actual version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXdEeRBh9Zk

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks, looks good to me.

I wonder when they’ll start advertising and/or giving out info regarding the 3D series (some toys from it have already been sighted in the wild after all), maybe late this year at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nice, Cringer talks. He didn't in the early aughts reboot (I guess with Stinkor and Moss Man around a talking tiger was seen as too "out there").