Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

Redhead (something like "Doheleen Il Caris"? Can't be sure on the spelling...) is a staff user, but like a martial arts staff user, all Wukong-y

Redhead's fighting style kinda reminded me of Eleanor, where he shoots spells out of the staff the same way she shot spells out of the spear in some of her artes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Tales_of_ARISE/status/1403068523459477505

https://twitter.com/Tales_of_ARISE/status/1403068169921589252

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Kisara seems more like she'll have access to some spells? In one of the cutscenes, she summons her shield of out thin air like Shionne does with her gun

Obviously she seems a lot more tanky and physical, probably the least spellcaster-y caster (Rinwell being the most spellcaster-y caster and Shionne being right in the middle)

Redhead just seems to attack with flashy elemental physicals

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Goddamn I love shield lady.

I love all shield ladies to be fair, but I really love that shield lady.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

drat Kisara's design owns real hard, what a cool character

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6qvHWWr2R0

:stoked:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Lady's walking around carrying a drat door

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bland posted:

Lady's walking around carrying a drat door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I hope Kisara is fun to play as because once she joins my party she's never leaving it

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder what the cloaked katana-user villain's deal is gonna be

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
These two new characters are the first real time I've seen this game and have been totally excited for it. Both the designs kick rear end.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i like them better than the main characters, lol. where's their statue?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is this the first time since Phantasia that a party member has wielded a shield?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Is this the first time since Phantasia that a party member has wielded a shield?
leon had shields in the original destiny, reid had shields in eternia, kratos and zelos had shields in symphonia, flynn had a shield in vesperia,

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I love both the new characters and I'm going to play everybody.

Endorph posted:

leon had shields in the original destiny, reid had shields in eternia, kratos and zelos had shields in symphonia, flynn had a shield in vesperia,

Estelle, as well. Cress and Stan had shields in their originals. However, none of them had shields taller than they were.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
At this point my biggest concern with Arise is that it's going to get really both-sidesy with its almost comically unequal colonialist setting, since the new trailer has an area that's a desegregated utopia and last month's drop was like "Dahnans and Renans both have derogatory nicknames for each other," but the game has 60 hours to lay out the whole story and I'm willing to let myself be disappointed.

Dohalim and Kisara have to join you somehow, so I suspect that either Alphen's going to convince them they have to work to spread their ideals worldwide, or they're going to find out the seedy truth about the city (sellout bargain with the Renans?) that they were ignorant of.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

please no ranches

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ranches are acceptable but only if they are for animals, such as Gajuma.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean they have slave mining operations but on the other hand at least thats got relation to reality versus turning people into magic jrpg orbs

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

i mean they have slave mining operations but on the other hand at least thats got relation to reality versus turning people into magic jrpg orbs

:orb:

I really like the new take on burn strike. Having some of the less-used techs and spells be double/triple techs would be cool. I want to see this group's version of Celsius Caliber and Ryuuko Metsugazan. That one probably as an english name I don't remember.

Bonus: get everyone in on a Maxwell extension. If we're doing Eternia again, let's go! Blue Earth a dingus for a million exp!

Does this mean we don't have a big axe/sword person this time? Alphen's sword isn't small, but it's not the big smash kinda character like Mary or Presea either. I wonder if Dohalim is our sky dancer or if everyone can kinda do it a little. I know there's "in air" attacks, but I'm curious as to how many of them can be chained before you need to stop.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's been mentions of 'support' party members in addition to the main ones. you could take that as just people whose assists you can call in without them being fully playable, like that part of Xillia 1 where Jude can summon Muzet, or you could take that as more Eternia-style temporary party members. Probably the former, but latter could be cool.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Ershalim posted:

I know there's "in air" attacks, but I'm curious as to how many of them can be chained before you need to stop.

from what we've seen, the only potential specific limitation is whether or not the character in question has an "air attack" that doesn't bring them back to the ground

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Endorph posted:

there's been mentions of 'support' party members in addition to the main ones. you could take that as just people whose assists you can call in without them being fully playable, like that part of Xillia 1 where Jude can summon Muzet, or you could take that as more Eternia-style temporary party members. Probably the former, but latter could be cool.

The tales team probalby talk with the Tekken guys about frame data from time to time already why not just throw in assist attacks like a Marvel v Capcom or Dragonball Fighters! Would be kinda awesome actually.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

The Shame Boy posted:

The tales team probalby talk with the Tekken guys about frame data from time to time already why not just throw in assist attacks like a Marvel v Capcom or Dragonball Fighters! Would be kinda awesome actually.

The DS Hearts basically had that. You could summon in all kinds of random helpers from the past series titles or like, KOS-MOS or other famous Namco properties. That'd be a neat system to bring back... though maybe not to quite that extreme since the story seems like it's taking itself more seriously. Maybe as a post-game thing they can get wacky.

If we do get temporary members, I hope they have a way to de-temp their styles in repeat playthroughs. The way Destiny and Graces handle that would be perfect. I want a team of 6 giant shield ladies please.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOkO72dYPWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FBt04R-XoM

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

They both look great, but I am definitely super interested in Kisara now that it looks like she has a parry

God why can I just use all 6 party members at once :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They both look great, but I am definitely super interested in Kisara now that it looks like she has a parry

God why can I just use all 6 party members at once :negative:
tbf 'swapping in backrow party members' has been a thing in the series for a while now and since this game has such an emphasis on assists and such i wouldnt be surprised if it got more emphasis.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I want to say it started in Xillia, right?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want to say it started in Xillia, right?

Yeah but then Xillia 2 removed it (and the ability to switch in party from field at all too).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xillia 2 had to remove it cause the controller was already overloaded. the buttons used for it were changed to swapping ludger's weapons iirc. now you might say 'what if you arent playing as ludger' to which id say 'xillia 2 hates you'

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Nah, switching characters was on like L3/R3, which I don't think is used for anything in ToX2 (maybe taunting?), moveset swap is on L1 + R1/R2. I'm guessing what actually happened is that Ludger's three movesets take up too much memory for five other party members to be loaded in the back too? But who knows.

But yes ToX2's control system is overloaded to hell, it's kind of hilarious.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

remember how there's sidestepping in that game? i never ever used it

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Amppelix posted:

remember how there's sidestepping in that game? i never ever used it

Are you saying you're too good for the intuitiveness of pressing L1 + X + Up/Down?

I'm reminded of MGS3 where you needed like three buttons to hold a gun in first person

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i remember going out of my way to try and use it, unintuitive it may be but it was cool as heck

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i actually used it a lot because im insane

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

anything to make me feel like i'm dodging graces style again

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FWhQrdhJ9I

Shionne: I wish I had never met you! I'd rather go through this pain if I were going to feel like this!

Alphen: You're not alone! We're all here for you! SHIOOOOOOOONE!

Female Narrator: This journey will set you free

The rest just says the game is available for pre-orders.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think the Renans are harvesting the Wind mana/spirits in the coexistence kingdom, considering that big green windy ball the group runs up to

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Arise did a private press demo and the reports are coming out.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/news/tales-of-arise-hands-on-report-pc-demo-with-tales-ambassadors-shiina-and-lex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ-NE96RC3w

Hope for this demo to be publically available in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Arise looking pretty good. Also is Sakuraba the primary composer on Arise because the music sounds more like stuff from Crestoria than usual Sakuraba flair.