Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Complications posted:

This is the way. If your pawns aren't red, they're dead.

Red vs (dark) Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Red vs (dark) Blue

If you have blue pawns you're just flexing and already doing victory laps (in vanilla).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If you swap outfits in the manager, and then draft/un draft colonists to interrupt their work their first new task will be to change into the right gear.

Mods which give you storage containers for Apparel items and this behavior mean you can have a Ready Room with mostly-empty racks for non-armor clothing, and full racks for armor. Colonists will take off and store the poo poo they’re wearing, and put on armor. It takes a bit and then you’ve got to draft them as they gently caress off to other tasks, but it’s better than individually force-equipping the entire militia at least to me

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wish people who make various alien races would at least consider designing them around being able to wear normal clothes too. I shouldnt need two crafting tables per race just to make equipment for everyone :cripes:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Danaru posted:

I wish people who make various alien races would at least consider designing them around being able to wear normal clothes too. I shouldnt need two crafting tables per race just to make equipment for everyone :cripes:

It's your own fault for running a multispecies colony. Pick one set of aliens and stick with 'em.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Danaru posted:

Honestly most of the races I've tried haven't had that issue?

I've done the Rim Effect races (Hanar and Geth are forced nudist, everyone else uses normal), Skaven ( normal), Xenohumans (normal), Hivers (limited headwear but its in vanilla crafting stations), Argonians (normal), Xenos Magos Biologis Ork/Grots/Eldar/Tau/Kroot/Ratlings/Ohgren (normal), Android tiers (normal), Automatons (normal), Faster Than Light races Rockmen/Mantis/Crystals/Engi/Zoltans (normal)...

The only ones that had any restrictions were the Gerzee who can wear very limited clothes and Ewoks from a 1.0 Star Wars mod I haven't used recently which now claims they wear normal clothes

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zore posted:

Royalty adds a bunch of higher tier melee weapons.

Otherwise it really depends on what kind of mod you're looking for. Do you want melee weapons tied into a broader faction, melee weapons from other franchises, a mod that solely adds melee weapons?
I guess a mod that solely adds melee weapons? What I want is for the melee tech tree to not end before guns even get started, but instead keep pace with the rest of development. It's just weird and unsatisfying that I have ranged dudes in full power armor with plasma rifles, and my melee guys are in full power armor, with shield belts and... steel longswords.

Having a standing "yeah just keep 10 swords lying around, whatever" order and boom, all done forever, is boring.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Zore posted:

Honestly most of the races I've tried haven't had that issue?

I've done the Rim Effect races (Hanar and Geth are forced nudist, everyone else uses normal), Skaven ( normal), Xenohumans (normal), Hivers (limited headwear but its in vanilla crafting stations), Argonians (normal), Xenos Magos Biologis Ork/Grots/Eldar/Tau/Kroot/Ratlings/Ohgren (normal), Android tiers (normal), Automatons (normal), Faster Than Light races Rockmen/Mantis/Crystals/Engi/Zoltans (normal)...

The only ones that had any restrictions were the Gerzee who can wear very limited clothes and Ewoks from a 1.0 Star Wars mod I haven't used recently which now claims they wear normal clothes

There's one particular modder/artist who seems rather devoted to their "style over playability" approach, and has made several HAR factions with custom pawn models that are hardcoded only to use their animerace's proprietary apparel set (or when the racedef is edited to allow normal armor, the sprite layering looks horribly incongruous due to animeblob mismatch). That or they just have some reverse-midas curse, and everything they touch magically turns into crufty piles of incompatible jank.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CapnAndy posted:

I guess a mod that solely adds melee weapons? What I want is for the melee tech tree to not end before guns even get started, but instead keep pace with the rest of development. It's just weird and unsatisfying that I have ranged dudes in full power armor with plasma rifles, and my melee guys are in full power armor, with shield belts and... steel longswords.

Having a standing "yeah just keep 10 swords lying around, whatever" order and boom, all done forever, is boring.

Heavy Melee weapons is probably your best bet there then

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

silentsnack posted:

QE cloning adds a new pawn to your faction, inheriting species/gender/traits from the genome sequencer, with their biological age set to 18 (aliens/animals probably use the adult age from racedef files?) and a temporary mood debuff along the lines of "this 'reality' poo poo is heavy, wtf"; applying a colonist's brain template only seems to modify skills/passions. So even if you create a perfect duplicate your new clone will still be an entirely separate person, and their social and medical data start out blank.

Worth repeating: the clone can inherit your old pawn's traits and skills/passions and that's it.

Also the fact they're independent can lead to amusing weirdness like Fred 2 marrying Fred 0 and then having an affair with Fred 5, and somehow raiders can spawn as relatives of the clone even though that makes no loving sense... but Such Is Life On The Rim?

Character Editor's save/load makes an exact copy, which does retain memories/relationships (at the time of making the backup) as well as their inventory.

Thanks. I was hoping for something that uses game mechanics so Character Editor is out. There doesn't seem like anything that can transfer a character's soul/essence/qualia/engram/whatever between living bodies - just similar stuff for androids apparently - so my plan is to make a copy of my Greedy rich explorer starting colonist who is my best crafter and builder, and use her clone to keep doing work while the original gains noble ranks and becomes useless.

So here's my mod list:

I am mostly focused on cosmetic/UI enhancements and medical stuff. I was wondering about the following:

-A streamer I watch is doing a playthrough with mods and has one that gives the rarity text of items on the ground different colors for different rarities. Which one is that?

-Are there any (relatively balanced) mods that allow for cosmetic surgery to remove scars and ugly/annoying voice/etc. traits?

-Does anyone have any other recommended purely cosmetic or medical mods?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

silentsnack posted:

There's one particular modder/artist who seems rather devoted to their "style over playability" approach, and has made several HAR factions with custom pawn models that are hardcoded only to use their animerace's proprietary apparel set (or when the racedef is edited to allow normal armor, the sprite layering looks horribly incongruous due to animeblob mismatch). That or they just have some reverse-midas curse, and everything they touch magically turns into crufty piles of incompatible jank.

Yeah that's the one :cripes: At this point I'm considering taking the kurin out entirely because seriously you cant wear a drat jumpsuit?

The ratkin are even more egregious because they have the same rectangle shaped body as human pawns, but long enough to make sure normal clothes look weird and broken. The nyar...on or whatever they are have their own clothes, but I havent actually bothered to try normal clothes with them yet

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ShadowRim does the ShadowRun Orc/Elf/Troll/Dwarf thing nicely, just the races, no added fluff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Thanks. I was hoping for something that uses game mechanics so Character Editor is out. There doesn't seem like anything that can transfer a character's soul/essence/qualia/engram/whatever between living bodies - just similar stuff for androids apparently - so my plan is to make a copy of my Greedy rich explorer starting colonist who is my best crafter and builder, and use her clone to keep doing work while the original gains noble ranks and becomes useless.

So here's my mod list:

I am mostly focused on cosmetic/UI enhancements and medical stuff. I was wondering about the following:

-A streamer I watch is doing a playthrough with mods and has one that gives the rarity text of items on the ground different colors for different rarities. Which one is that?

-Are there any (relatively balanced) mods that allow for cosmetic surgery to remove scars and ugly/annoying voice/etc. traits?

If you're playing with any animals I recommend Cyber Fauna which adds in vanilla like bionics/prosthetics etc for animals and ways to heal tails and poo poo that get cut off.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Danaru posted:

how else do I craft my maid outfits with cat ears?

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 12, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Danaru posted:

The ratkin are even more egregious because they have the same rectangle shaped body as human pawns, but long enough to make sure normal clothes look weird and broken. The nyar...on or whatever they are have their own clothes, but I havent actually bothered to try normal clothes with them yet

If Nyaron look jank while wearing normal clothes, I've never noticed it. But I also pointedly refuse to use any special equipment that comes with the various race mods. So in my colonies, everyone gets a complimentary parka or duster and then whatever else they wear gets lost under big coat.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zore posted:

Heavy Melee weapons is probably your best bet there then
Requires Royalty, sadly. Maybe I ought to just get that.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

how else do I craft my maid outfits with cat ears?

you use maid project and eccentric tech cosmetic modifications duh

excuse me while I ritually cleanse myself for knowing that

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the melee weapons in royalty are kind of obnoxious because while yes they are insanely good and do a fantastic job of equalizing the balance of a lot of things, they are all considered archeotech so you're only getting your monoswords, zeus hammers, etc from quest rewards and passing ships (NOT outlander unions and VERY rarely trading with the Empire)

so you're ilke yeah sure melee is gonna rule and then by your third year of searching for poo poo for your melee dudes you're really considering just giving up and giving them a charge rifle to go hunt stuff with until you can get away with them being another ranged guy

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I decided to try a cannibal ice sheet tribe with prepare carefully. Randy proceeded to spawn no events whatsoever - no raids, no merchants, not even a quest to help out the aristocrat and get psy powers. Everybody starved to death. Is this a bug or something?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A jargogle posted:

I decided to try a cannibal ice sheet tribe with prepare carefully. Randy proceeded to spawn no events whatsoever - no raids, no merchants, not even a quest to help out the aristocrat and get psy powers. Everybody starved to death. Is this a bug or something?

After I-forget-what-patch the game doesn't fire off events with people in them when the temperature is too uninhabitable for the people in question. For honest to goodness ice sheets, it's usually orbital traders and mechanoids. You might try a game a bit further away from the pole.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Whenever I go visit Imperial cities they’ve always got a few of the special melee weapons, and about a third of the time they’ve had even persona for sale. I’m in year 3 and if I picked the persona weapons as rewards, I’d have probably 4 or 5, but their persona traits have been kinda meh.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I'm trying to parse this death. None of the supporting structure was destroyed, can explosions in an overhead mountain cause cave ins?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BattleMaster posted:

One that I had forgotten to mention (since I've never actually tried it) is the FTL Clonebay which seems kinda like it might suit your preferences? By the modder's explanation: internally it resurrects the dead pawn regardless of where they died (teleporting them to your base and leaving dummy corpse) in order to preserve their relationships/memory/etc, which is what the flufftext means about failing if the corpse was destroyed/burned/eaten/mountain'd/etc.

BattleMaster posted:

So here's my mod list:

Rarity tags aren't a thing in vanilla rimworld AFAIK? Maybe that streamer used one of the "infusion" mods that occasionally cause items to spawn with a title/prefix/suffix, which DO have rarity levels indicating their relative potency. Infusions can be a fun addition for a wacky heavily-modded colony and can rarely stack to stupid-overpowered levels, so you might luck out and get an SMG from the Elemental Plane of Warcrimes, that lets one colonist solo endgame raids... but you'll occasionally lose someone to comparable bullshit when a lancer's +350%accuracy, +200%armorpiercing bullet grenade instantly deletes their torso.

For cosmetic surgery there's Plasteel Surgery and its submod (PS) Reconditioning Pod to alter personality traits, which require some investment (on top of research) and comes with some tradeoffs. I think it has balance sliders if you feel the need to tweak the [chance of randomly leaving your dude braindamaged] drawbacks?

Sparkling Worlds+Mind Altering Device also adds a tool to reformat your brain but I don't actually remember if it works well in practice (also even this relatively stripped-down version still adds some over-the-top nonsense you might not want in a vanillish game)

For general medical QoL mods there's Less Arbitrary Surgery which makes success/failure less of a binary outcome. Instead of [always either perfect success or total failure] there's a chance for partial-success, where the operation is completed but with minor-failure consequences of injuries/infections; and minor failures are less likely to outright kill the patient by randomly destroying their liver.

Also Stabilize Here is a bit more flexible for malpracticing-by-the-seat-of-your-pants than Smart Medicine since it lets you tend anyone anywhere, including wild animals and enemies/mechanoids. In case you want to keep your prisoners from bleeding out before you can capture them. Or there's Imprisonment On The Go! (Make Pawns Prisoners Without Beds), which does what the name implies but also lets you tend prisoners on-location.

If by 'cosmetic mods' you meant UI improvements there's Dubs Mint Menus which gives a bunch of options for adjusting the architect/etc menus and also adds a configurable radial menu for shortcuts you use often.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 14, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Leal posted:

I'm trying to parse this death. None of the supporting structure was destroyed, can explosions in an overhead mountain cause cave ins?

Yes. Found this out with the Starship trooper mod and the Hopper and bombardier bugs.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
After I finish messing around with this save I'll have to unfuck my mod list. Trader ships, trade caravans, and towns often don't trade anything, nothing attacks me, and there are various other lack of events.
Alot of the stuff here is however entertaining, just requiring ungodly amounts of materials, research, and manpower to do.
Unfortunately this puts the caster out of work for 5 days or so.
https://i.imgur.com/7ddo9gM.mp4

Yes that has infinite casting range on the map, as long as the target zone isn't blocked by line of sight. Although there has been incidents of enemies being able to shoot at me though walls with projectile weapons, probably something wrong with some of the mods and I need to remove them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

silentsnack posted:

Rarity tags aren't a thing in vanilla rimworld AFAIK? Maybe that streamer used one of the "infusion" mods that occasionally cause items to spawn with a title/prefix/suffix, which DO have rarity levels indicating their relative potency. Infusions can be a fun addition for a wacky heavily-modded colony and can rarely stack to stupid-overpowered levels, so you might luck out and get an SMG from the Elemental Plane of Warcrimes, that lets one colonist solo endgame raids... but you'll occasionally lose someone to comparable bullshit when a lancer's +350%accuracy, +200%armorpiercing bullet grenade instantly deletes their torso.

Thanks for the suggestions. That clonebay is along the line of what I wanted. The others are good, too. The prisoners on the go one is something I definitely wanted because even Stabilize Here has issues, where if an enemy is healthy enough to walk immediately after stabilizing they'll be mobile and fleeing again instead of restrained.

By "rarity tags" I brainfarted a bit, I meant quality. Like how icons of weapons on the ground will have "normal", "good", "excellent", etc.. The text is normally colored identically, but the streamer has a UI mod that shows up in different colors.

By "cosmetic mods" I mean not just UI improvements but other sorts of graphical improvements.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 14, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

silentsnack posted:

Sparkling Worlds+Mind Altering Device also adds a tool to reformat your brain but I don't actually remember if it works well in practice (also even this relatively stripped-down version still adds some over-the-top nonsense you might not want in a vanillish game)
It's a completely random re-roll and if you do it too frequently they go crazy and die, so I think it's okay, balance-wise. I save The Box for the cases who couldn't possibly be worse than what they already are.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Spoiler: they somehow get worse anyway.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can replicate the orbs in rimmagic :stwoon:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

You can replicate the orbs in rimmagic :stwoon:

That's probably not intentional but hilarious. Can you replicate anti-matter missiles launchers.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

By "rarity tags" I brainfarted a bit, I meant quality. Like how icons of weapons on the ground will have "normal", "good", "excellent", etc.. The text is normally colored identically, but the streamer has a UI mod that shows up in different colors.

Quality colors is probably what you're looking for.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Does anyone know if Android Tiers is being actively developed anymore?

It's one of my always-on mods and I'm hoping a few of its annoyances will be fixed one day, especially how previous bodies still count as dead colonists after transfer.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I spent 4 hours yesterday working on reorganizing my mod list to get it working, day before that I spent another 4 hours. Thankfully Leal posted their modlist for their LP and I just finished reorganizing my modlist for 2 hours to make it look like theirs and now it finally works properly.

:toot: turns out the best way to get a modlist working is to follow someone elses example.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Does anyone know if Android Tiers is being actively developed anymore?

It's one of my always-on mods and I'm hoping a few of its annoyances will be fixed one day, especially how previous bodies still count as dead colonists after transfer.

Im fairly certain Rocketman and... Dubs Memory something something (I obviously dont remember) will prune dead pawns out of memory. Rocketman automatically, Dubs manually.

I ditched Android a while ago tho so I'm not uptodate.

EDIT Wow I wasnt even close. I was thinking of RuntimeGC

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Kris xK posted:

Im fairly certain Rocketman and... Dubs Memory something something (I obviously dont remember) will prune dead pawns out of memory. Rocketman automatically, Dubs manually.

I ditched Android a while ago tho so I'm not uptodate.

EDIT Wow I wasnt even close. I was thinking of RuntimeGC

I just mean that a blank neural android created specifically for the purpose of transferring an existing android into counts as a colonist.

In my latest game the inanimate android somehow ended up making friends with another colonist and it caused a break when my other android uploaded into it. And the old body causes the unburied colonist state, so I end up having to bury a shell body in my mausoleum despite it making no real sense.

Oh no my friend SA-4 the blank robot died and now I am mourning an unrelated empty robot body for some reason.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Four days of hiking through the mountains later we find ...

Pretty sure my colony got catfished.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

I just mean that a blank neural android created specifically for the purpose of transferring an existing android into counts as a colonist.

In my latest game the inanimate android somehow ended up making friends with another colonist and it caused a break when my other android uploaded into it. And the old body causes the unburied colonist state, so I end up having to bury a shell body in my mausoleum despite it making no real sense.

Oh no my friend SA-4 the blank robot died and now I am mourning an unrelated empty robot body for some reason.

This is realistic behavior, see Data's death in TNG.

Really tho, I have no idea how you'd fix that other than loading up the char editor and manually pruning references to the old shell (which should have its own ID?).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am fairly sure that androids has checks to handle the way it treats surrogate bodies.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You should be able to dismantle the old android chassis at a machining bench to avoid the colonist unburied part

OwlFancier posted:

I am fairly sure that androids has checks to handle the way it treats surrogate bodies.

It does... kinda. As far as I can tell, let's say you have Bob-3 and the newly minted T4 body labeled S-04. When Bob uploads to S-04, the game switches their consciousness then kills the old body now inhabited by S-04. Somehow sometimes your idiot pawns manage to make friends with S-04 before Bob uploads himself into it, meaning when Bob's old body dies, they freak the gently caress out.

It's a coding limitation but it also plays into the whole "holy poo poo pawns are loving stupid" mindset of Rimworld :v:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Not as good as explosion spell, but it gets the job done.

https://i.imgur.com/Zo3051W.mp4