Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/mirage333/status/1392512947071582211

It's one of those fake mobile game ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

After listening to the UM soundtrack on repeat for days, I'm declaring Momoyo's theme, "The Princess who slays Dragon-Kings" the winner.

It has a quality best described as "recklessly happy." It is nearly impossible to be in a bad mood while listening to.

The doujin mixes it's going to get will be incredible. In particular, I dearly hope Akatsuki Records decides to take it on.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
If you're willing to brave a pandemic to visit a doujin event today and buy UM, you'll get an Ability Card with ZUN's signature on it.
https://twitter.com/A_kotiya/status/1396285391422984193

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Mazed posted:

After listening to the UM soundtrack on repeat for days, I'm declaring Momoyo's theme, "The Princess who slays Dragon-Kings" the winner.

It has a quality best described as "recklessly happy." It is nearly impossible to be in a bad mood while listening to.

The doujin mixes it's going to get will be incredible. In particular, I dearly hope Akatsuki Records decides to take it on.

It's Stage 5's theme for me but Momoyo's is also great.

Glad whenever a new game comes out I still get to say "the man's still got it in him"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Lotus Eaters 18

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ahhh page 22 is so cool

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Random thought, has Mamizou's tail expanded with every appearance?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

See, it's stuff like this that makes me wanna see Mamizou as a protag one of these days. Bastard Mom is best Incident Solver.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1398457832320684035?s=19

So, I understand that Good Smile is a co-distributor (or something) of Lost Word, but I find it amusing that they're making a figure based on a game based on the Touhou franchise. Like, they're using their own game's interpretation of Youmu, and not just an interpretation of Youmu from the main games.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

GSC would be printing money if they just released a nendo of best doggo

well, maybe we'll see something good next time

EDIT: I totally did not see that they previously had pre-orders for the lost word variant of reimu

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Maybe lost word will mutate into the equivalent of an undertale AU.

What would that make someone, a tertiary? Some who enjoys the by-product of a by-product.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

sb hermit posted:

GSC would be printing money if they just released a nendo of best doggo

well, maybe we'll see something good next time

I wish the post-TD crew got more recognition in general... nothing for seija exists at all which is criminal.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Shoot the Bullet coming to Steam on the 18th.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1420650/Touhou_Bunkachou__Shoot_the_Bullet/

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
The original Touhouvania duology is getting a remaster for PC and Switch this year
https://twitter.com/GamerNeJp/status/1401117126199439360

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Glad to see frontier aja isnt dead. Here it is in english:
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/touhou-project-action-game-koumajou-remilia-scarlet-symphony-coming-to-switch-steam-in-2021

I think its also only the first game but hopefully the second follows.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Ah yeah, it's just the first one, I skimmed too fast.

Seems like all the translations will be intact as well.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’ve been reading a lot of Touhou doujin manga recently (because, well, Mangadex was down but Dynasty was up), and I noticed an interesting one, Time of the Full Moon. The premise is that Kaguya is telling a story about her past, but there’s some other force interfering with the story somehow.

Anyway, this isn’t a recommendation or anything, although I enjoyed it well enough. Rather, whats interesting about it is that it’s by Mizutaki, the same artist who draws Lotus Eaters. And it shares a lot of the same themes as Lotus Eaters does, with a central mystery, the depiction of an unreal space and unreliable memory all playing a part. If these are themes Mizutaki likes, then that implies the canon manga may be more collaborative than I had imagined. I would be very interested to know more about how they’re created.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTWBWrRaSh8

It is done.

Playing without bombs is so different in Touhou. Obviously there’s nothing wrong with playing normally, but there’s something bracingly refreshing about knowing that I had to deal with every pattern. There were a few in there (like Moses) that I instantly bombed on my 1cc attempts, but that were actually a lot of fun once I got to know them.

But I still can’t deal with Kanako’s opener. Hardest attack in the game. Maybe second, after Aya’s second card.

nrook fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 12, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lost word really is just someone's self insert fic

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah mine

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

El Burbo posted:

Yeah mine

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Maybe I should play Lost Word instead of just doing free pulls.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

How is Sakuya carrying me with knives in her hands?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I bought unconnected marketeers because the card system seemed fun and perfect for someone like me, who is bad at touhou games. Last one I played was ten desires (which was 10 years ago....crazy) where I eventually just ran into a wall trying to normal clear, then failed to even do easy clears, and just decided to enjoy the games through replays and such.

and turns out yes it is in fact perfect for someone like me, who is bad at touhou games. It's only easy, but it still felt great gettting the 1ccs of Reimu & Marisa. The cards are really fun to mess with and I am all about a game that lets you break it if yo uget lucky.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Good job and congrats on the 1CCs. The game is definitely on the harder side without the card system (or if you get garbage RNG before you've unlocked the ones you like to start with). Especially the insanity that is the stage 4 BALLPIT.

Snooze Cruise posted:

lost word really is just someone's self insert fic
The end of the second incident goes pretty strong on that too. Even though it's blatantly obvious who the silhouette character is, there's some decent writing there.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Did easy 1ccs of Sakuya & Sanae now, plus the Secret end for Reimu. I've tried Extra a couple times but, perhaps shocking no one, but going from easy to extra is a bit of a step up, so I'll probably start aiming for Normal 1CCs now that I've got more experience (& card slots)

some stray thoughts:

-Wish there was an option to buy cards on the final stage, maybe from the fox or something. I find that you can get a lot of money but if you don't get any of the cards that use money, it's all useless on the final stage.
-If you're not going for the secret end, using the blank card on stage 1 or 2 then reaping the rewards on stage 2/3 is really fun
-I have STILL not even seen the wolf card that just makes you generically stronger. Checking the full list and going off what I have + what I remember seeing (all the time...) I think it's the only one I've never seen in the shop (Extra's unlock aside).
-Erin's Elixer card wound up getting me killed like 3 times in a row the first time I used it because what it actually does (put off a very small range bomb that keeps you alive but not much else) is not what I thought it would do (a IN-style super bomb). rip
-Visibility in stage 3 is real bad. It's a very pastel background which sucks when you're dealing with the blue "sharp" bullets that litter the stage. I already find those the worst bullets to read and I find it a miracle every time I get through a section of stage 3.
-Megumu's first non spell feels like her hardest nonspell (at least on easy) and that's just weird
-the 30 second midboss you can't kill is really weird and I've seen how horrible it is on higher difficulties so looking forward to that on Normal
-Chimata feels like a weird boss and, especially after looking up her harder difficulty spells, kind of feels like "Extra Minus" in terms of boss. Her spells feel a lot more gimmicky and something that would feel at home on an Extra, anyway; like that spell where it's 30 seconds of time out follow by her finally arriving and being a kill spell? Or her final spell with the interesting bullet into knife gimmick. Or how her time out actually has her flying around the screen, and you can clearly see both her spell circle and even her feet sometimese but obviously it's a time out so...Honestly even her design kind of feels "Extra", like there's this "pop" element that extra bosses have to make them stand out, and she kind of has that, if that makes sense; might just be me.
-Related, but that time out spell is such a pain in the rear end on Easy. I've seen it on harder difficulties and the "lanes" you're supposed to be in are way easier to track thanks to higher bullet density. But on Easy it's very easy to miss your turn and some of your characters are very slow while focusing so it can be hard to auto correct and god it is such a long rear end spell.
-I hated playing as Sakuya. The entire time even when using her shot "correctly" I just felt unweildy and underpowered. I cannot imagine how harrowing higher difficulty runs can be because drat does it just feel like she's a half step behind everyone else. And I don't like having to "Aim" a shot like that....
-Sanae meanwhile was great. And this is after she got nerfed from the demo, right? The snake focus shot is the real star, but even her default froggy spread was nice.
-I like how a lot of Sanae's story is "hey your shrine made an agreement not to come to this zone, what the gently caress". I also liked how, being the one from tehj real world and aware of a lot of dangers, approached Minamatsu's warning just form pure curiosity on the science of it. There was also that brief bit from Sannyo that the shrine was already involved with the Rainbow Dragon Mine that was fun to. Moirya shrine being a recurring "those fuckers at it again" in these games is always great
-Tsukasa is such a poo poo, she's amazing, A+ character.
-In general I find this game's cast to be really great. I hope they'll show up more often moving forward; I'm guessing Tsukasa & Megumu definitely will, albeit for different reasons.
-Top 3 songs are (3) Sannyo, (2) Chimata and (1) Momoyo. All of them keep getting stuck in my head, good poo poo

Definitely the most invested I've been in a touhou for some time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Hey fun fact it's steam summer sale time

I picked up Touhou Mechanical Scrollery, and my initial impressions are

A: it's kinda clunky, controls wise
B: it's sorta repetitive
C: it's fun despite that, because 3D danmaku hell yeah

:hellyeah:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wow, a kosuzu in the screenshots on the store page

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
touhou lost word current event spoilers wow!!! kosuzu shows up and talks!!!1

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The best thing about Lost Word is that the previous event had Sakuya's theme in the event shop to purchase, so now I have Night of Nights permanently set as my home page music.

I love it.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Draga posted:

The best thing about Lost Word is that the previous event had Sakuya's theme in the event shop to purchase, so now I have Night of Nights permanently set as my home page music.

I love it.

Same except instead of my home page music, it's Lily White's music. So when she's screaming about Spring and Sardines, Sakuya's music is playing.
Beautiful.

Also how I wish Kosuzu was playable in a main game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Eeepies posted:

Also how I wish Kosuzu was playable in a main game.

next event

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Excellent. I adore Forbidden Scrollery so I need her ASAP.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

I didn't think it'd be so soon, glad I've been hoarding seal crystals like a dragon.
Next step: Kosuzu in a fighting game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

HellCopter posted:

I didn't think it'd be so soon, glad I've been hoarding seal crystals like a dragon.
Next step: Kosuzu in a fighting game

technically she is in the background of the one in the human village stage— but yeah... playable fighting game kosuzu would rule...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my favorite past time is looking up touhou fan games on steam and see if kosuzu is in the screenshots

kosuzu

kosuzu

kosuzu (previously seen in this thread!)

bonus itch.io kosuzu

someone should make a kosuzu steam curator nod nod

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
They can't put out kosuzu until I recover from spending all my cubes on yukari and still having to use the pity system.

I was looking up the japanese character list to see who will be added in the future and it's loving criminal that there's no Seija, Shinmyoumaru, OR Raiko yet... DDC crew always getting snubbed fr

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
No Raiko?!?! Man, that sucks. She's my favourite Extra Boss

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its funny looking at when people came out because you get the manga characters so early compared to how long it took for some big hitters to get add in
not that i mind because it means kosuzu so soon for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

recent indie games seem to love having Kosuzu as a side character (for obvious reasons, she's great), and yet there's no love for Sumireko, my precious chuuni daughter

basically if someone makes a game where Kosuzu and Sumireko team up to Solve An Incident™, i will combust from joy on the spot