Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

I thought the AI processing was separated from the infotainment stuff. I wonder how they handle scheduling if it’s a shared resource. That used to be a big problem just in VR, let alone safety applications.

Or do you mean that it’s for local training of the network? I hadn’t heard that they were doing that either!

oh I forgot. Elon puts meme-tastic stuff into the car like this promise he made.

quote:

first announced on January 28 that "Cyberpunk 2077" and "The Witcher 3" could run on the entertainment console of the newest Tesla Model S.

so of course it's probably not for machine learning poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

adding a 180W GPU to a battery powered car

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

oh I forgot. Elon puts meme-tastic stuff into the car like this promise he made.

so of course it's probably not for machine learning poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0xndqX3THc

fart powered electronic carz

tmz + elon its a huge success

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

It’s for crypto mining while you drive!

I do not believe Tesla is above this.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Why does this keep happening to Hardware Unboxed? Is it just that by being in Australia they end up dealing with Asian-Market reps that are used to a whole different press dynamic than a US/Euro based PR flack would be? Or is there something else going on here?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

Why does this keep happening to Hardware Unboxed? Is it just that by being in Australia they end up dealing with Asian-Market reps that are used to a whole different press dynamic than a US/Euro based PR flack would be? Or is there something else going on here?

Or maybe it happens to everyone but only GN and HUB regularly make name & shame videos about it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It happens to other outlets too, but my assumption is they're not seen as big enough so companies keep thinking they can run the same playbook they do with the other smaller sites and channels. GN's talked before about MSI doing the exact same kind of "we'll compensate you for changing your review" thing with British channels so it's almost certainly not a media rep thing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It happens to everyone. Most reviewers of anything, even the including the personable people you like (actually especially those people) are absolutely soulless shills, aided and abetted by the fact that they don't know a goddamn thing about what they're reviewing and also a lack of creative thinking to search for and understand potential flaws. If you have the ability to figure out what's wrong with a product, you're no longer just a hype machine and thus you're dangerous to the manufacturer.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

Or maybe it happens to everyone but only GN and HUB regularly make name & shame videos about it

During the MSI thing GN Steve said it happened to a smaller channel as well. I don't doubt that these companies do this frequently to a bunch of small youtubers who can't risk/afford to be blacklisted from getting hardware.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The MSI thing was about techteamgb: https://www.youtube.com/user/TechteamGB

It actually worked out pretty well for the dude because he managed to get an infusion of viewers (myself included) from people like GN talking about his story. I like his keyboard reviews.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Helter Skelter posted:

lmao, those LG emails are incredible.

Pay for play is a tale as old as time. Even though they got exposed here, HUB is just one outlet and I bet many other youtubers and influencers are probably begging LG to send them free stuff instead to "review".

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

K8.0 posted:

It happens to everyone. Most reviewers of anything, even the including the personable people you like (actually especially those people) are absolutely soulless shills, aided and abetted by the fact that they don't know a goddamn thing about what they're reviewing and also a lack of creative thinking to search for and understand potential flaws. If you have the ability to figure out what's wrong with a product, you're no longer just a hype machine and thus you're dangerous to the manufacturer.

There is a middle ground, where it happens to everyone and people politely turn down the offer but don't also burn their bridges with a useful PR contact.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

The Grumbles posted:

There is a middle ground, where it happens to everyone and people politely turn down the offer but don't also burn their bridges with a useful PR contact.

eh, that does eventually lead to problems - most of tech youtube is small companies reliant at least somewhat on advertising and sponcon. that "go gently caress yourself" attitude that we all know and love from GN is very much a product of them moving to more of a patreon model, with the overwhelming majority still dependant on those useful PR contacts. that usefulness goes both ways - once you've developed a good working relationship with a reviewer you don't have to (and shouldn't) be swinging threats around, you have a perfectly good incestuous relationship with the channel and the channel's advertising revenue for that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

After half a day, HUB's video about this already has several times more views than a review of a random LG monitor would get in a month

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

Anything short of shilling is bridge burning as far as these companies are concerned, because right now there are so many "influencers" who have no goddamn idea what they're talking about who will happily shill for them. Unless you have a truly spectacular product at an amazing price, why would you ever go to a competent reviewer when you can go to a garbage-tier dunce who will parrot your talking points? It might get somewhat better as people adapt to life in the influencer world and realize that almost all of them are scum, but for now it's a super effective marketing avenue that most people don't look at nearly as critically as they should.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

A majority of the reviews on youtube for any product category are equivalent to Linus' paid previews because that's exactly what they are but they aren't upfront about it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

People love a charming, personable shill. Some of the most popular tech/review channels are nothing but shills (the most egregious of which being Unbox Therapy on the extreme end with folks like Marques Brownlee in the grey area of "seems legit but deep down is just a shill").

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Marques Brownlee makes some of the most beautiful content in the tech-sphere of youtube, but for the aforementioned reasons, I cannot take his opinions seriously - it's pretty overt shilling. Linus's 'previews' are at least quarantined off, but it does damage his brand when I have to constantly be double-checking whether or not this is a 'preview' or a 'review'. Unbox Therapy is terrible. Steve is bae.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I like Marques' tech opinions and his reviews are good for just viewing a product on day 1.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EngineerJoe posted:

I like Marques' tech opinions and his reviews are good for just viewing a product on day 1.

Yah same, I find I get a good gist of a product from him and he does point out flaws so it’s not 100% shill. Nicely produced too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

“Shill” isn’t quite accurate. They’re infomercials. A paid review where they read off bullet points and heap on the prescribed praise is an infomercial.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The content are informercials, the hosts are shills

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Marques Brownlee makes some of the most beautiful content in the tech-sphere of youtube, but for the aforementioned reasons, I cannot take his opinions seriously - it's pretty overt shilling. Linus's 'previews' are at least quarantined off, but it does damage his brand when I have to constantly be double-checking whether or not this is a 'preview' or a 'review'. Unbox Therapy is terrible. Steve is bae.

I remember him and Linus doing that "8K GAMING" commercial for Nvidia when Ampere dropped :lol:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So either it was some mid level going wild, or this was policy that they were ok with until it was called out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’s absolutely the latter with how many other LG addresses were CC’d into those emails to HWUB.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FuturePastNow posted:

adding a 180W GPU to a battery powered car

180W is nothing to a BEV.
Plus the idea is presumably that it gives you another "thing to do" while charging.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

well why not posted:

So either it was some mid level going wild, or this was policy that they were ok with until it was called out.

More likely than either, it seems like some top level was going wild.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

A million years ago I remember Tom's Hardware doing some sort of lineup monitor review and they included an incredibly whiny screed about how Viewsonic was the only manufacturer who didn't send them a review unit. :laugh:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

More likely than either, it seems like some top level was going wild.

The 4 week delay that preceded those emails tells us that there was probably an awful lot of internal debate going on about this. And of course it immediately backfires on them which is the funniest part.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Steve found a PC he doesn't hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vrvQydVIw

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Fantastic opening.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That prebuilt seems fairly close to what I have rn so I decided to compare it to what I've paid for my parts:

the CPU, the motherboard, the 16 gigs of RAM, the PSU, the case, and two case fans come out to about 508 USD

an NVMe drive to match the 512 GB that the prebuilt comes with is about 70 USD, increasing the total to 578 USD

the prebuilt uses a 10400F, and I'm using the stock SKU with an iGPU, it looks like the delta for that is only about 10 USD currently, so that brings us back down to 568 USD

that leaves us with 432 USD left over for just the GPU... and the 1660 Super has an MSRP of 229 USD

however, it's also the case that the asking price for a 1660 Super right now (just checking pcpartpicker) is currently 624 USD

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a Windows license in there as well

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I priced that system out while watching that video because I was bored. These are the exact parts except for the memory, which is a slightly different version that only seems available to OEMs.

+$45 for the keyboard and mouse (not on part picker)
And then minus some if you have a cheaper source for Windows OEM keys
(edit: the 1660 Super price is set to MSRP just for reference. actual price will be much higher and vary wildly)

Prebuilt machines are always gonna come with a hefty premium, but this seems not super terrible if you want a low-end to midrange gaming machine but don't want to build anything yourself. Though not great, either, clearly. At least they use actual name-brand products for the most part. That's how low the bar is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 14, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I priced that system out while watching that video because I was bored. These are the exact parts except for the memory, which is a slightly different version (but probably similar in price).

AFAIK you can't get that video card for that price

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mewse posted:

AFAIK you can't get that video card for that price

Correct. But the street price for it is like $700, so I gave it the MSRP just for reference. That is basically what that machine would cost to build yourself in a sane market. Considering the 3x inflated street price of the GPU, you could consider the PC a bargain at $1000 I guess.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The thing about pricing out prebuilts is that you generally speaking would not be making those choices at those price points, if at all. So MSRP/street price may not be leaving a huge gap, but if you tried to get a system built from the components you actually want all of a sudden it's much larger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you're doing a pricing comparison and using theoretical prices I don't see how that's useful, but sure