Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1403390633096536073

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

drat, didn't realize how excited I could get for something I previously didn't care at all about, just cause I saw the words LANCE REDDICK

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Truspeaker posted:

drat, didn't realize how excited I could get for something I previously didn't care at all about, just cause I saw the words LANCE REDDICK

:same:

Probably the only reason I would check it out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Oh wild, I was watching Scrubs recently and was wondering about some of the song choices, sounded like generic 90s songs I'd long forgotten and I just assumed Zach Braff just had really lame taste in music or they couldn't afford better from the time. Early on it really seems like they wanted it to be a very regular thing, weaving in music and stuff into scenes but they drop it over time except for a few bigger instances.

Show kind of runs out of steam by Season 3 though. I think maybe they blew their wad too soon on some arcs, maybe should've kept them all as baby interns for a whole season or two before bumping them up, especially since even when they get their own interns, the dynamics mostly remain the same. Season 3 feels like they're pretty much out of hospital content and just relied on relationship plots and some workplace comedy. Elliot's character especially is just never given anything to do besides pine over boys, be a mess with a boy, or they contrive some excuse to have her get her tits out to use horniness to accomplish something. They'll spent a whole scene showing Elliot get her hair flat-ironed and put some makeup on and maybe change out of scrubs and do a slow-motion walk to some cheezy glam rock song, then she'll walk into the room and say some doctor thing and it's over. Lot of build-up to objectify her for dumb reasons and little playoff unless seeing her objectified is meant to be it.

Think I might stop watching and just find a compilation of the Janitor loving with JD.

I just finished a rewatch of Scrubs recently (didn't bother seeing the Med school season), and they pull back on the bimboficaiton of Elliot, or at least the makeup titilation stuff.

I think the show bounces back by the fourth and fifth season, with the latter season having the best season finale of the show's history. The show quality then starts to ping pong around, veering into too much wackiness and making JD's character a little too unlikeable, but there's enough there that it pulled me into the 8th season just to see where the characters ended up, a lot different place than where they started.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 11, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait Reddick is Wesker!? Holy poo poo!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In my mind, the show (movie?) is called "Resident Evil: LANCE REDDICK" based on how they wrote it in the tweet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Watchin the latest Mythic Quest and it’s a real good one but also for reasons I can’t really say without spoilers I feel like they should have saved it for a potential third season

Do you have future spoilers or something? I still wanna hear em, because I thought that episode went a really long way in justifying that characters existence on the show. Prior to that he often really stuck out as kind of being a character for a different show, kind of like something they didn't quite have enough to base a whole show around but was tangentially related enough to include, plus writers like having a writer around to write about. that vignette episode focused as a good short film that it seems the character was created to tell and also found a way to tie in and justify his connection to videogame writing.

I also accidentally watched season 2 after watching the pilot and retroactively watching season 1 helped knowing his backstory, I'd say maybe it could've gone in the first season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There was a new episode today, that’s the one I’m talking about. The flashback episode was the one before.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

There was a new episode today, that’s the one I’m talking about. The flashback episode was the one before.

I liked this episode, but it also felt weird as a direct follow up to the previous one. But Rachel's exasperated faces made it great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

I liked this episode, but it also felt weird as a direct follow up to the previous one.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking of. Good episode, but they should probably have left more time between that and the last one.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1403389722857132038

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I hope they do a better job of telling a more coherent story because Season 1 felt like a mess. A gorgeous, high production value mess.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hughmoris posted:

I hope they do a better job of telling a more coherent story because Season 1 felt like a mess. A gorgeous, high production value mess.

Never read the books, but I've played the games enough that I caught on to the timeline gimmick and rather enjoyed it!

Pretty stoked for S2 of Henry Cavil mysteriously ending up in a CW show...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Did they change Ciri's actress?

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Truspeaker posted:

I wish it were more Corporate :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shageletic posted:

Did they change Ciri's actress?

Nope.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hughmoris posted:

They should have an easier time now that they're into adapting the novels instead of the short story collection. Also now that all the characters are together so they don't have to shuffle things around to avoid having an actor disappear for half the season.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The titles on those games/shows get weird, but Resident Evil: Lance Reddick is a new one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1403199582134284288

Someone track down that PSA

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

nthing the Lance Reddick love and that the latest Mythic Quest episode was good, but shouldn't have come out right after the last one

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hacks is the latest case of a good show that is mislabeled as a comedy.

It’s trying to straddle that fleabag line, but doing that is loving hard and while the writers are good they’re not as talented as PW.

Hollywood creatives are very depressed about a lot of things and most of them went to the same 6 universities and its starting to… show with a lot of the writing for a lot of these new
shows.

Smart is stunning as always though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked it. Having Ava fall into the same rash reactionary behavior in the finale was a little annoying. Cmon character development!, I look forward to next season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Comrade Detective makes more sense now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not to be outdone, there’s a statue of Columbo and Dog in Budapest, Hungary.

If there’s any kind of justice, they should have a war over who are the biggest Columbo fans.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the new Bo Burnham Netflix special last night, Inside, it is kind of weird but definitely has some bangers in it. "Welcome to the Internet" is going to be around for a while.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm alternating between nature documentaries and archaeology/space documentaries on Disney+. I have to watch it using Microsoft Edge because I'm on a PC and that's the only one that does 1080p for it. Secrets of the Whales and The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great were pretty good.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I liked it. Having Ava fall into the same rash reactionary behavior in the finale was a little annoying. Cmon character development!, I look forward to next season.

Oh, I like it. Everyone involved is good. Good to great even.

It’s just not as good as it thinks it is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not 100% sure what that means, but I did like the final couple eps, even if they hit very familiar beats. I think 5-6 were probably the highlight, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/people/status/1403550661283921922
Who, who could have possibly foreseen this?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

was this filmed on a cruise ship???

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m not 100% sure what that means, but I did like the final couple eps, even if they hit very familiar beats. I think 5-6 were probably the highlight, though.

Yeah it was a little glib. I’ll expand. First, I agree with you five and six are probably the highlight. There’s a growing trend on entertainment industry is Twitter to call out things about equality and equity and balances on show writing staffs etc. but what is often not noted, and a few of the older show writers are actually now calling it out, is the fact that where the industry is looking for new writers who have “new” voices is from the same five or six universities they’ve always hired from. They’re just now hiring one or two women/people of color from those places.

The problem with this is that it still gives a very similar voice, even if it’s from a different perspective. If you look at Eva, she feels written almost like a parody of a young white woman writer that’s on Twitter too much. They didn’t even mention her age of 25 until I think episode five? When they did I was shocked. Because she constantly comes off as somebody who is about 30 and burning out of the industry, and somebody who’s about 21 right out of college. Now the actor playing her is doing a great job, it’s the writing that just comes off as… inconsistent.

The last episode smart says to her, “you’re too good to quit,“ and I just didn’t believe it. She was funny, and she was witty, but I didn’t believe that she was some towering new voice of comedy. Smart on the other hand, absolutely feels like a living legend of a female comic.

I harp on the writing, because it’s the same problem that academia has. It’s a relatively small group, and aside from evangelical Christians, I’ve never been around a group that is so convinced that they know what’s best. To a lesser degree, I would put TV writing in a similar category.

Of course the most unrealistic thing about the show was that she bought a townhouse in LA at 25. Even if she was starting to be staffed on TV shows at 20, as a lower level comedy writer I don’t believe she should be able to afford it even after five years, unless she was incredibly frugal and smart with her money. The character that she’s being portrayed as does not have those traits.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

It's fun to see every single joke 30 Rock made about the quality of the programming on NBC continues to be 100% accurate like 15 years later.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's fun to see every single joke 30 Rock made about the quality of the programming on NBC continues to be 100% accurate like 15 years later.

Not NBC, but 100% a 30 Rock joke

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1403111381675692037

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Truspeaker posted:

Jesus Christ, you couldn't be more right. Zero to a billion interest just because of him. I don't even normally give a poo poo about most casting, but I've been neck-deep in Reddick lately because of work and he is aural crack. I hang on his every word. If he did an Avery Brooks impression, I'm pretty sure it'd be some kind of mass hypnosis video.

That dude's hair is intentional. He has some kind of product in it, and he wanted it to look like that. I absolutely do not miss LA at all.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 12, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

When will we finally get Homonym?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

When will we finally get Homonym?

Right after the second season of Bitch Hunter.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SamBishop posted:

Jesus Christ, you couldn't be more right. Zero to a billion interest just because of him. I don't even normally give a poo poo about most casting, but I've been neck-deep in Reddick lately because of work and he is aural crack. I hang on his every word. If he did an Avery Brooks impression, I'm pretty sure it'd be some kind of mass hypnosis video.

That dude's hair is intentional. He has some kind of product in it, and he wanted it to look like that. I absolutely do not miss LA at all.

Dudes pretty cool. Sober, engaged to the actress who plays castles daughter from the show castle (Molly something). Pretty funny on Twitter.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SamBishop posted:

That's why it's called LA Looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Dudes pretty cool. Sober, engaged to the actress who plays castles daughter from the show castle (Molly something). Pretty funny on Twitter.

I'm happy for him, then. I can only hope he was loving with the red carpet fashion thing. [edit] Sober? Is he recovering or something? I'm not gonna rip on that, I just thought it was a weird descriptor out of nowhere. Also I know nothing about that actress, but I automatically assume she's cool as poo poo, so if she's cool with him, I suppose I gotta be too!

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's why it's called LA Looks

Is that stuff even around anymore? I kinda want to see if they're still rocking that sick 90s clipart-style logo, just triangles and wavy ribbons and poo poo all over the bottle.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 13, 2021