Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page
Does anyone have any experience with Share lending? My broker just asked to borrow some PATH and I don’t see why not, besides the fact that if they have to borrow from me than it may not be a great sign for future price appreciation. I could see getting hooked on the interest check while the share price plummets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Saw tons of volume moving into SENS, placed a small bet, then they pushed it on CNBC and now it's flying.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

To put in on the official goon record, I bought WISH @ 14.65 a share (just 7 shares) at what has turned out to currently be the peak. Bought enough to feel like I'm IN a reddit meme stock so I can focus on other bad investments now. Planning to sit on the stock for at least 3 months to see if a new meme resurgence happens with it as I held AMC months back and I think made like 3 bucks I dunno...but definitely missed out on the big pop there so now I'm FOMOing into a bag holder for WISH I guess.

Same, but 50 shares @14.23 and another 50@11 as I tried to reduce my cost basis. Gonna just hold this bag as it slowly dwindles down to zero.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Red posted:

Why do I ever look at stocktwits?

It's just people talking about emptying their savings and mortgaging their homes because every stock is a surefire millionaire-maker.

I used stocktwits for a while until I started searching like 30 different companies and found all of their rooms were MAX BULLISH POP ROCKET MOON ANY MINUTE NOW

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

LibCrusher posted:

I used stocktwits for a while until I started searching like 30 different companies and found all of their rooms were MAX BULLISH POP ROCKET MOON ANY MINUTE NOW

So you are saying find the companies with bear posts primarily and short them? Or do none actually exist and it's all people trying to pump making the whole this worthless beyond a list of see what is the hottest and what people will meme into like WSB?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

spencer for hire posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Share lending? My broker just asked to borrow some PATH and I don’t see why not, besides the fact that if they have to borrow from me than it may not be a great sign for future price appreciation. I could see getting hooked on the interest check while the share price plummets.

It's free money, really. It'll be only cents probably but it's free.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

So you are saying find the companies with bear posts primarily and short them? Or do none actually exist and it's all people trying to pump making the whole this worthless beyond a list of see what is the hottest and what people will meme into like WSB?

Someone much smarter and savvier than me could probably make a system out of it, but it’s just worthless for me.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Pillowpants posted:

I started the week at $1500 gambling money and I ended the week at $1400.... I keep buying in too late to these loving penny stock biotech companies

Don't chase the hot dot (lord knows I've been guilty of this).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

cirus posted:

Saw tons of volume moving into SENS, placed a small bet, then they pushed it on CNBC and now it's flying.

LMAO I sold @ 1.8 to buy AHT

LOL

LMAO

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Ended the week making almost all my money back that I lost this week. Cool

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LibCrusher posted:

It's a forum of Michael Corleones

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Plenty of time to hop on the CRTX Train! Choo choo!

I'm excited for some nice juicy options as we get closer to the end of the year

You mean Citius? CTXR? Loving that stock.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Stocktwits and Stonks are the dumbest places. Do not venture there.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Stocktwits, a visual representation:

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Stocktwits and Stonks are the dumbest places. Do not venture there.

For stock tips promoted by people who already own the stock, I've had a better time with Fool.com

Baddog
May 12, 2001

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I set aside $10k in my Roth at the beginning of the year to do options and wound up doing theta-style wheels (CSP, CC if assigned). I set a goal of getting about $208 / month in premium ($2500 over the year). In January and early February I was doing a mix of meme stocks (APHA, TLRY, AMC) and non-memes (F, PLTR, NCLH, AAL). So far I've made about $2000 in realized profit from exited positions. It probably would have been more profitable to just invest in the companies themselves, but watching the numbers and doing research scratches the same "make number go up" itch as diablo or WoW.

It's pretty hard to make any extra from cash secured puts and covered calls. Gotta get naked so you can keep your index funds *and* sell puts.

Unfortunately we can't do that in a Roth because the vast majority of people can't be trusted to not blow up their accounts by buying very oom 3dt calls on shitstocks like amc.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I set aside $10k in my Roth at the beginning of the year to do options and wound up doing theta-style wheels (CSP, CC if assigned). I set a goal of getting about $208 / month in premium ($2500 over the year). In January and early February I was doing a mix of meme stocks (APHA, TLRY, AMC) and non-memes (F, PLTR, NCLH, AAL). So far I've made about $2000 in realized profit from exited positions. It probably would have been more profitable to just invest in the companies themselves, but watching the numbers and doing research scratches the same "make number go up" itch as diablo or WoW.

Why do your blue line go out to month 12 if those dates have not been reached yet, assuming month 1 was January? You seem to be doing fine so far if you're up 20% on the year. That's beating the S&P, although not by much.

Baddog posted:

It's pretty hard to make any extra from cash secured puts and covered calls. Gotta get naked so you can keep your index funds *and* sell puts.

Unfortunately we can't do that in a Roth because the vast majority of people can't be trusted to not blow up their accounts by buying very oom 3dt calls on shitstocks like amc.

As you well know sir, people are free to _buy_ very oom 3dte calls on shitstocks in their Roth. They're just not allowed to _sell_ naked calls on shitstocks like AMC in their Roth. heh.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I could've been a dumb bitch in my Roth instead of my Robinhood funny money?!

Where was this great advice a $667,000 tax bill ago

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Thanks whoever mentioned DPLS. I’m buying a soda in your honor

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I could've been a dumb bitch in my Roth instead of my Robinhood funny money?!

Where was this great advice a $667,000 tax bill ago

Go hang out in your Scrooge gold vault about it :colbert:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Thanks whoever mentioned DPLS. I’m buying a soda in your honor

1500 shares netted me EXACTLY the price of a Popeye's chicken sandwich.

It was divine intervention.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

1500 shares netted me EXACTLY the price of a Popeye's chicken sandwich.

It was divine intervention.

Try the Burger King one. It’s pretty good

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Try the Burger King one. It’s pretty good

I've had Wendy's, BK, KFC, and McD's.

They're all good, I was actually surprised how good McD's was, put Popeye's is in a class of its own.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pmchem posted:

As you well know sir, people are free to _buy_ very oom 3dte calls on shitstocks in their Roth. They're just not allowed to _sell_ naked calls on shitstocks like AMC in their Roth. heh.

Haha drat, I was just trying to make a joke, but actually the thought of buying calls in my roth never entered my mind as a possibility because its kinda dumb.

We can, can't we. Wtf. But I can't sell reasonably secured (as in spread secured, not cash secured) puts.

That's hilarious that the government will let me buy insane amounts of June GME 700c's on monday, just yolo decades of savings on like a .00005% chance with massive time decay rapidly eating it away every second. But they won't let me generate some p safe extra cash by selling some put spreads on margin.

poo poo, before all my mom's savings get eaten up by the old folks home + biogen alzheimers drugs, maybe I should do that with hers. Instead of giving all her and my dad's savings to the medical industrial complex over the next decade or so, go big or hit medicaid faster. Does the long term thread have some advice on this?

Baddog fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 12, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mickey D's spicy chicken sandwich definitely punches above its weight class but they don't have the sauce to bun ratio quite right. It almost feels like it should just be a bigass chicken tender with fantastic dipping sauce. It succeeds despite the sandwich format, not because of it

Popeye's is the best because they're the only fast food that still uses trans fats

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Baddog posted:

Haha drat, I was just trying to make a joke, but actually the thought of buying calls in my roth never entered my mind as a possibility because its kinda dumb.

We can, can't we. Wtf. But I can't sell reasonably secured (as in spread secured, not cash secured) puts.

You can't get margin, that's the limitation and everything that needs margin like spreads don't work.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

pmchem posted:

Why do your blue line go out to month 12 if those dates have not been reached yet, assuming month 1 was January? You seem to be doing fine so far if you're up 20% on the year. That's beating the S&P, although not by much.
It's a quirk of how I setup the spreadsheet, I have a separate table showing profit from exited positions per month (i.e. puts I have bought to close), then the yearly table just adds the cell above plus the total for that month.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Baddog posted:

That's hilarious that the government will let me buy insane amounts of June GME 700c's on monday, just yolo decades of savings on like a .00005% chance with massive time decay rapidly eating it away every second. But they won't let me generate some p safe extra cash by selling some put spreads on margin.

poo poo, before all my mom's savings get eaten up by the old folks home + biogen alzheimers drugs, maybe I should do that with hers. Instead of giving all her and my dad's savings to the medical industrial complex over the next decade or so, go big or hit medicaid faster. Does the long term thread have some advice on this?

I mean, buying ITM SPY leap calls in your Roth probably wouldn't be too high of risk compared to a lot of other things you can do in a Roth, like, I dunno, putting it a leveraged inverse ETF such as $SQQQ. Or putting it all in ARKK in mid-February of this year.

On the other hand, you're also free to do stupid things like 0dte GME 700c's, or this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/kxb0ds/gme_yolo_entire_roth_in_otm_puts_something_about/

(not mine, it's from that reddit link)

imagine being a wsb poster and yolo'ing on far otm GME puts and losing, lol. the post is from Jan. 14, before GME's first insane spike.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pmchem posted:

buying ITM SPY leap calls in your Roth

Hmmmm. These IRAs could use a little go juice.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

spencer for hire posted:

The shares are still yours to sell at any time if you're worried about the price going down. If the shares are just gonna idle in your account, it can make sense to lend them out to increase your cum profit. You won't be drowning in it, but you should get enough for a spoonful to see if you wanna keep at it. Although recently, I made a decent chunk from lending pre-merger IPOE shares at ~45%.

Also, in case your broker didn't make this clear, you're actually signing up to let your broker borrow any eligible securities from your account (present and future), as opposed to your PATH shares specifically. They just happen to want your PATH shares at this moment.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Baddog posted:

Hmmmm. These IRAs could use a little go juice.

Lmao

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This page is proof that we need government to protect the absolute idiots from themselves.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

But more to protect the non-idiots from the effects of the idiots' actions.

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

candide posted:

The shares are still yours to sell at any time if you're worried about the price going down. If the shares are just gonna idle in your account, it can make sense to lend them out to increase your cum profit. You won't be drowning in it, but you should get enough for a spoonful to see if you wanna keep at it. Although recently, I made a decent chunk from lending pre-merger IPOE shares at ~45%.

Also, in case your broker didn't make this clear, you're actually signing up to let your broker borrow any eligible securities from your account (present and future), as opposed to your PATH shares specifically. They just happen to want your PATH shares at this moment.

Awesome thanks, I went for it because I plan on holding long term. It’s an interesting indicator that shares are so desirable to short so someone out there doesn’t have the same long term rating I have. But $120 is $120

Doing more reading it looks like the only minor drawback is I teleport back to 1964 and no longer have voting rights.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
LMAO Mudrick Capital sold their AMC shares and immediately bought naked calls ending up with a net 5.4% loss.

https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/mudrick-amc-bet-backfires-meme-221912972.html

One of us one of us one of us

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hedge funds are not really any smarter they just have more money and less red tape.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The great wealth distribution of a generation through meme stocks is at least hilarious.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

pixaal posted:

The great wealth distribution of a generation through meme stocks is at least hilarious.

It kind of is. Still waiting for the "retail investors must pay back all gains to billionaires directly" bill to be introduced in congress.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SlothBear posted:

It kind of is. Still waiting for the "retail investors must pay back all gains to billionaires directly" bill to be introduced in congress.

They'll absolutely do a 120% capital gains tax on meme stocks then just cut blank checks to hedge fund perverts.

It will be called The American Family Freedom Act and you're racist and communist if you don't support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
It's the power of the Internet. Previously these big firms could heavily short and manipulate whatever they wanted and there wasn't any way for people to fight back. Now the information is immediately available and more importantly can be rapidly disseminated to a huge number of actors.