Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who the hell do birds mimic talking? They don't have lips and their tongues are weird and tube-shaped, it's awful. I can't talk without moving my lips or tongue, how the hell does a bird do it?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miB2LpP-DsE

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Birds have lips they're just inside their beak

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Birds have lips they're just inside their beak

Unacceptable

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
What you think this forum has bird scientists? You think these degenerates who post here talk to birds all day and are just waiting for someone to ask how these devolved dinosaurs talk? You got another thing coming buddy

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Give a bird a big kiss and see for yourself.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They're just really good at mimicking sounds and learning that those sounds sometimes make sense to humans in the same way they want to express. Much like a dog learns "cookie" or "treat" and some of the primitive breeds are good at making similar sounds to relate that they want this thing.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm from Big Bird and there is nothing to see here folks. Buzz off.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They don't, op.
Every example of this has been an elaborate running joke.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The birds are Very good 👍 but they are not necessarily demonstrative of what grey morality actually is

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

They're just really good at mimicking sounds and learning that those sounds sometimes make sense to humans in the same way they want to express. Much like a dog learns "cookie" or "treat" and some of the primitive breeds are good at making similar sounds to relate that they want this thing.

No I mean how do they physically make those sounds they don't have any lips!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What is demonstrative of what grey morality actually is

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Parrots are one of the few in the animal kingdom that truly fascinates me. Like out of every animal on earth, it's this one single species of birds (of which there are millions of different types) that can speak like humans. It blows my mind.

See also:

-Angler fish having a little lantern on their heads

-Electric eels being able to produce electricity

-Venus fly traps; a plant that has teeth and can move

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Bramble posted:

What is demonstrative of what grey morality actually is

Grey morality actually is a very popular sport 👌

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Parrots aren't even the only talking bird

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Parrots are one of the few in the animal kingdom that truly fascinates me. Like out of every animal on earth, it's this one single species of birds (of which there are millions of different types) that can speak like humans. It blows my mind.

See also:

its not just parrots op see for ref Nuggets The Talking Mynah Bird

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Börds

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Lips are for loser mammals like us, theyre only a crutch we use and all the rest of the animal laughs and laughs and laughs at us for how bad we are at talking. Birds pity us, our sad existence, and are trying to gently show us the ropes

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Crows and starlings can talk too tbh at this point idk what bird cant talk

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Who What Now posted:

No I mean how do they physically make those sounds they don't have any lips!

you don't vocalize with your lips, how do you think ventriloquists work?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Birds can make chainsaw noises too OP and they don't even have gasoline.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Wait what, thats amazing how can we harness this power for our chainsaws

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSB71jNq-yQ

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d3dOam9Hg4

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIX_6TBeph0

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Who What Now posted:

Who the hell do birds mimic talking? They don't have lips and their tongues are weird and tube-shaped, it's awful. I can't talk without moving my lips or tongue, how the hell does a bird do it?!

Hey.... yeah! Wtf! They don't even have lips or teeth! And their tongues are hosed up!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

you don't vocalize with your lips, how do you think ventriloquists work?

By talking out of the sides of their mouth and everyone is too polite to call them out

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
How can they make fricatives without teeth???

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nevermore wakka wakka wakka

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

So like they're birds but Satan gifted them with the ability to talk to both mock us and tempt us into Heck. Which is why pirates and other bad guys always seem to have parrots.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Real answer! :eng101:

Humans talk with their larynx and vocal cords vibrating to produce pitches and tones like a kazoo, and their mouth and lips form the more complex phonemes and "sounds" of words.

Birds, obviously, don't have lips, or even a larynx like humans do. They do, however, have an organ called a syrinx in their throat just above their lungs. This organ is much more flexible and articulated than the larynx, to the point where the "vocal cords" can be moved independently of each other. Essentially, this organ combines the vocal cords and lips into one doodad for creating complex sounds!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

what's so weird about birds talking? just about every other animal can speak to you.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Asterite34 posted:

Humans talk with their larynx and vocal cords vibrating to produce pitches and tones like a kazoo, and their mouth and lips form the more complex phonemes and "sounds" of words.

Birds, obviously, don't have lips, or even a larynx like humans do. They do, however, have an organ called a syrinx in their throat just above their lungs. This organ is much more flexible and articulated than the larynx, to the point where the "vocal cords" can be moved independently of each other. Essentially, this organ combines the vocal cords and lips into one doodad for creating complex sounds!

Nerd.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Birds and dogs can make bombs from buying legally available chemicals and other such products

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

they are actually beaming the words directly into your brain. that's what a cloaca does.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6l8MFdTaPE

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

if i was a ornithologist i would definitely refer to myself as a "bird nerd" every chance i get

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
if i was a scatologist i would definitely refer to myself as a "turd nerd" every chance i get

Vakal
May 11, 2008
How birds see the world.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Asterite34 posted:

So they got throat lips. Thank you for finally explaining this in a way that normal everyday Americans can understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

See also:

Imagine going through the effort to explain why this one particular animal fascinates you so thoroughly and being wrong about it.

It's like saying you're studying to become a paleontologist because for billions of years there was nothing but tyrannosaurus all over the earth and you just find that fascinating