Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Asteroid Alert posted:

Next weeks Mythic Quest tells the origin story of C.W. And he is played by Josh Brener, who was Big Head in Silicon Valley.

I read this post just before watching season 1, and it was fun to see Big Head was CW for a brief moment in the first episode when they introduced his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I like this season a lot less. Either I remember s1 poorly or Poppy is written 100% differently.

I went straight from S1 to S2 and yeah she's a lot different. The parts where she's saying things like "You work for me!" to her programmers don't come off right. She didn't seem like a great manager in the first season, but for different reasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We were talking in Couch Chat about how the latest episode was fuckin awesome haha. I think that and the Brad’s brother one were both excellent.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
never thought I'd dog big head of all people on this show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never would have guessed that Big Head could pull that off but he was great. Man what a fuckin fantastic episode

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Another well done midseason drama episode

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was pretty darn good. My wife didn't actually see what show I'd put on so she didn't realize it was Mythic Quest until the very end, which was pretty funny. Until then she was just like "oh I guess we're watching some movie about golden age sci fi authors, completely on brand for you".

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Ian's t-shirt at the final scene

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Regardless of what people think of the rest of the episodes, this show absolutely nails stories from the past that culminate in the creation of the studio.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
To be clear I didn't hate the last episode, I just didn't think it was up to the high bar set by the rest of the series. A bad episode of MQ is still pretty decent.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Hughlander posted:

I like this season a lot less. Either I remember s1 poorly or Poppy is written 100% differently.

She is utterly dreadful this season. Every joke just sorta falls flat and is somewhat cringe.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 5, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, that was a great MQ episode for sure

"TV is poo poo! For morons!"

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
That was a great MQ episode, but unfortunately i doubt it's going to make me appreciate the "present time" episodes anymore. This season feels like a downgrade from S1.

If only they could do random backstory episodes vaguely related to videogames...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I, uh, didn't like it. It was kinda a downer, and I couldn't connect historical CW with present day CW. I get that they're both obnoxious know it alls, but the present day one seems charming and gregarious, while the historical one read as a budding serial killer.

It's hard not to read his two friends, who I think we're supposed to read as essentially very honourable and likeable people, as kind of borish and closed off. It gave all the past scenes a frustrating ambivalence, which combined with the serial killer energy and the quieter, more stripped down energy made it just sort of confusing.

Not helped by the random magical realist touch of double casting the third tester as the publisher. (Partly for the grammar jokes and the fun of it, presumably.)

Sorry if this post comes across as overly technical, the episode left me really cold.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Dark Quiet Death T-shirt has been in a few episodes. Lou wore it at least once. I also didn't realize until I rewatched season 1 that they introduce Roscoe as a well-known video game character prior to the DQD episode.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not helped by the random magical realist touch of double casting the third tester as the publisher. (Partly for the grammar jokes and the fun of it, presumably.)

He also wrote the episode and is one of the show's producers. He also wrote Chernobyl and the Hangover sequels and was Ted Cruz's Princeton roommate.

Video game adaptation wise, he's also writing the adaptations of Borderlands and The Last of Us.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well if you're going to add context, that just ruins the dunk.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
That lingering shot on young CW”a smile after AE makes that burn, oh god. Good episode. Rough season, good episode.

Meanwhile, we’ve been slowly picking through depressive space dads shoot on the moon. Not a rollicking tub of fun.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When Apple puts out their shows, is it one episode per week or a bunch at a time?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Hold on to your butts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-UkWWnb2g

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When Apple puts out their shows, is it one episode per week or a bunch at a time?

Generally one per week, though not always the case. The first season of Mythic Quest was all at once, for example. Also sometimes at the start of a show or season they'll release the first few episodes then do weekly after.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Has Slow Horses got a release date yet?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

fischtick posted:

That lingering shot on young CW”a smile after AE makes that burn, oh god. Good episode. Rough season, good episode.

Meanwhile, we’ve been slowly picking through depressive space dads shoot on the moon. Not a rollicking tub of fun.

It was pretty much a perfect encapsulation of his transformation from carl to C.W. I had my issues with the early part of the season, but this episode was :perfect:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Been binging Mythic Quest and loving it.

The quarantine episode scene with poppy and Ian at the end got me emotional and by far was best "show during quarantine" I have seen.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The latest eps of Mythic Quest have all had a certain ”produced during a pandemic” limitations.

The latest one especially.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ah, finally, a place to talk about Mythic Quest. Nobody's posting about the very latest one, which is more or less a Part 2 to last week's throwback to the past, so I'll just start by saying that I just came in from the rain, my allergies are acting up, and you need to stop cutting onions in front of me. gently caress, I was so uncomfortable for most of this episode but it had such a phenomenally good payoff. This show is ridiculous.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I read this post just before watching season 1, and it was fun to see Big Head was CW for a brief moment in the first episode when they introduced his character.
This post is very confusing because this guy:

Is a completely different person.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 12, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The cast is so phenomenal in Mythic Quest.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We tend to talk about Mythic Quest in Couch Chat for some reason. I really liked this episode, but also thought it felt weird to follow up on the flashback episode so quickly. I would have preferred if this episode was in a potential season 3, I think.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That episode was an unexpected delight. The way the previous episode left things off was such a downer, but it makes sense with this episode compensating and finishing off the plot arcs.

Also makes some of the acting choices last week make more sense - I imagine doing an episode like last week's allowed them to set up a quarantine bubble for this week's one to happen.

Oh and William Hurt was so loving excellent. An excellent performance from both him and Abraham.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I'm kinda ambivalent on the latest MQ episode. On the one hand we did get genuine character development for CW, but at the same time the fact that his whole career was predicated on being a fraud gets no mention or closure. Seems like a pretty big thing to leave out, but I suppose it might open the door for further development at some point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I was really hoping he was going to end the episode with telling his friend that Asimov actually wrote the book he won a Nebula for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DaveKap posted:

This post is very confusing because this guy:

Is a completely different person.

Correct, so I went back. The copy I have on Plex from last year has the shot in your post, the version that’s on Apple+ now has been retconned with a different still - of Big Head.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

shirunei posted:

I'm kinda ambivalent on the latest MQ episode. On the one hand we did get genuine character development for CW, but at the same time the fact that his whole career was predicated on being a fraud gets no mention or closure. Seems like a pretty big thing to leave out, but I suppose it might open the door for further development at some point.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I was really hoping he was going to end the episode with telling his friend that Asimov actually wrote the book he won a Nebula for.

The book was the least important thing for them though. It was how CW disappeared from their lives and broke up the Tripod for Peter. Also is it fraud if Asimov edited the book for free? It sort of goes back to the Elevator pitch think Ian talked about a few episodes before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Also is it fraud if Asimov edited the book for free?

We obviously don't know the whole story of Tears of Anaren but, CW wrote: In the deepest of dungeons, hidden in the ruins of the most remote castle, on the furthest of reaches of the galaxy, there lays a scroll. Sandwiched between rocks, it has been perfectly preserved from the elements. It tells of a tale of the indigenous robot-horse lords of the mysterious terra forma. A land once filled with hope and brotherly love, it is now simply known to historians as Anaren.

And Asimov wrote: The universe has been plagued by a terrifying condition from which we have yet to evolve - Violence. Even in our most prosperous of ages, force has been exerted to assert dominance over others. The desire for power, the thirst for blood and unquenchable greed have doomed many great civilizations that seemed to extraordinary to ever fall. Uncorruptible figures have succumbed to these petty predatory instincts. Respectable men, honest men, forgiving men, nurturing men have all been beleagured by this curse upon humanity.

We only see a few pages, and who knows if what's on the page is supposed to be canon or not. But it's pretty clear that Asimov didn't simply edit it, he took CW's basic idea and completely rewrote it. At best, Tears of the Anaren is written by Isaac Asimov, story by CW Longbottom. Which explains why his second book had a drastic dip in quality. That they took the effort to show that Asimov crossed out CW's entire story and wrote his own. Then Anne says "Tears of the Anaren didn't read like a poor man's Asimov, it read exactly like Asimov", followed by an awkward pause. Then Peter brings up in the next episode that the second book had a big dip in quality from the first. It feels like a Chekov's gun that will have to come up eventually causing a big kerfuffle in the sci-fi world when CW is shown to be a fraud or something along that line. That's probably why he can't write the third book. He thought he would have improved enough to write the second as well as the first was written, but then it turned out he couldn't and he doesn't know how to write the third.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

You're overthinking it. The publisher will just re-release the book as Isaac Asimov's Tales of Anaren, by CW Longbottom. After all, Tom Clancy is still "publishing" books by whatever hack author they can find. And the sad thing is, it would make millions.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Correct, so I went back. The copy I have on Plex from last year has the shot in your post, the version that’s on Apple+ now has been retconned with a different still - of Big Head.
Wow, they loving George Lucas'd their show. Mind grabbing a screenshot?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To no surprise it blanks the screen when you try to take a screenshot in the phone app. I’ll try do it in the web browser later.

E: took the lazy route and found someone who’d done the hard work already - https://www.reddit.com/r/MythicQues...utm_name=iossmf

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 16, 2021

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
CW being played by an academy award winning actor is just too on the nose.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Interestingly, that original photo was of Murray Abraham with an Oscar:

My friend suggests that, outside of this being a cute continuity correction, it could be a case of photo licensing terms.
And then his hot take was that it's white washing. I'm gonna stick with cute continuity correction.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DaveKap posted:

And then his hot take was that it's white washing. I'm gonna stick with cute continuity correction.

Kind of surprised this take hasn't happened yet, but I figure it's because the show (and the service, really) aren't that widely known.

That being said I think Mythic Quest (and See, among other Apple shows I've watched) is one of the more diverse shows I can think of in recent years, both among cast and behind the scenes. Also probably the biggest ratio of cast who are also writers and/or directors on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Asteroid Alert posted:

CW being played by an academy award winning actor is just too on the nose.

Hell, the role he won the academy award for is becoming just a bit too on the nose too.