Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FrozenVent posted:

petition to change the quote button to “dox”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I approve.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FrozenVent posted:

Five confirmations

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Too bad Report can't fit "Break NAP"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

seconded

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Too bad Report can't fit "Break NAP"

!NAP

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FrozenVent posted:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

FrozenVent posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
can threads have their own custom css? i've only ever seen that at the subforum level

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

buttcoin: xtal hosed around with this thread

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Pile Of Garbage posted:

buttcoin: xtal hosed around with this thread
and found out

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
don't forget to update the other buttons too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

divabot posted:

el salvador hellcoin

this is going to scam so much out of so many poor people in america sending money home

also the bad podcast had a bit on this scheme and they called out how the el salvadoran president is an extreme bitcoin looking guy

and well

yeah lmao

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hello, fellow scalpers!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

man voted most likely to decorate a lamp post

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm sure he'll be fine as long as there aren't any violent, powerful supergangs like ms-13 running el salvador

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Is there any evidence strike actually convert to bitcoin as an intermediate step or do they just take your real dollars and give the other person tethers? It seems pointless for them to do the conversion so seems like it's a much more straight forward giving you monopoly money for real money scam

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Is there any evidence strike actually convert to bitcoin as an intermediate step or do they just take your real dollars and give the other person tethers? It seems pointless for them to do the conversion so seems like it's a much more straight forward giving you monopoly money for real money scam

Strike posted:

Let’s walk through a user story. I want to send $1,000 to a friend of mine in El Salvador:

• When I initiate the $1,000 payment, Strike debits my existing USD balance.
• Strike then automatically converts my $1,000 to bitcoins ready for use in its infrastructure using its real-time automated risk management and trading infrastructure.
• Strike then moves the bitcoins across the Gulf of Mexico where it arrives in our Central American infrastructure in less than a second and for no cost.
• Strike then takes the bitcoins and automatically converts them back into USDT (synthetic digital dollar known as Tether) using its real-time automated risk management and trading infrastructure.
• Strike then credits the existing user with the USDT to their Strike account.

things to note:
- only one of these steps claims to be without cost
- two of them hand wave over a black box proprietary algorithm
- tether doesn't have a lightning network, I don't think

it's probably a bad idea to claim to put things in a public ledger when you aren't actually doing it. of course, these guys are about as far as you can get from immune to bad ideas, but given points 1 and 2, they have an incentive to use their "automated risk management and trading infrastructure" as many times as they can get away with

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm sure he'll be fine as long as there aren't any violent, powerful supergangs like ms-13 running el salvador

he runs the gangs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nobody is going to use bitcoin anyway, so this decision will have almost zero impact on their crumbling economy. It's exactly the same as with services that decide to accept butts, and then nothing happens, and they quietly shut down the whole thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

KnifeWrench posted:

things to note:

it's probably a bad idea to claim to put things in a public ledger when you aren't actually doing it. of course, these guys are about as far as you can get from immune to bad ideas, but given points 1 and 2, they have an incentive to use their "automated risk management and trading infrastructure" as many times as they can get away with

wow this is so much better than using western union because

…help me out here

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

FrozenVent posted:

…help me out here

no fees*!
decentralised**!
no government interference***!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FrozenVent posted:

…help me out here

no declared fees!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

…help me out here

union is the opposite of decentralised

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

…help me out here

number go up

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/halfin/status/1153096538

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
it's simple, we kill the bitcoin

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

KnifeWrench posted:

things to note:

Yeah but even in their own explanation the users never touch bitcoin so strike is sending bitcoin to.... itself? Over a private LN??? The only explanation I can think for doing that is to get round anti money laundering laws which come to think of it makes perfect sense.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah it sounds so convoluted, like why not just accept the money and send tethers out in El Salvador? the bitcoin just does not sound like it does anything whatsoever.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Eeyo posted:

yeah it sounds so convoluted, like why not just accept the money and send tethers out in El Salvador? the bitcoin just does not sound like it does anything whatsoever.

just including bitcoin in any process makes it at least 83% simpler and more efficient

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eeyo posted:

it is a bitcoin use case, yes

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jonny 290 posted:

also the bad podcast had a bit on this scheme and they called out how the el salvadoran president is an extreme bitcoin looking guy

ooh what podcast?

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

lol no

so some big coiner on twitter is insisting that I am a LYING LIAR who LIES because they're apparently not doing it the way the CEO of Strike said directly that they were, and they're TOTALLY setting up proper USD channels in El Salvador to send USD out via the Strike network. These tweets are the first documentation of this in any manner. I've asked if there's checkable detail on any of this as yet.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

ooh what podcast?

the bad one

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boxturret posted:

the bad one
chapo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

divabot posted:

ooh what podcast?

lol no

so some big coiner on twitter is insisting that I am a LYING LIAR who LIES because they're apparently not doing it the way the CEO of Strike said directly that they were, and they're TOTALLY setting up proper USD channels in El Salvador to send USD out via the Strike network. These tweets are the first documentation of this in any manner. I've asked if there's checkable detail on any of this as yet.

when did ham sandwiches become a twitch superstar

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the "synthetic digital dollar known as Tether"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I listened to divababy have a big tantrum on a podcast the other day
boo hoo who is buying chia it doesn't even do anything :cry::cry:

lol sad loser ssd goes brrrr