Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah, some jobs like Geomancer, Bard, and Dragoon end up pretty limited and boring at points without other abilities to keep them relevant throughout the game. Natural is the one modifier I would not recommend under any circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mega64 posted:

Natural is the one modifier I would not recommend under any circumstances.
Agreed. Natural sounds like it'd be simple and easy, but it's actually one of the hardest modes. You're completely at the mercy of how powerful the jobs Gilgabot gives you are by themselves. There's no room for out-of-the-box thinking, or coming up with cool synergies, because you've deliberately locked yourself inside of it.

wokow, I genuinely recommend you reconsider and register for a Normal run first. You can always do a Natural run afterwards.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 12, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's not even that Natural is hard, it's just boring and way less fun.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Part of the problem with Natural is that it barely affects the strong classes (You mean my Summoner can't do anything but summon? The horror!), while screwing over the weaker ones who rely on secondary abilities to remain competitive (Monks, Geomancers, Red Mages etc.). It accentuates the system's imbalances instead of mitigating them.

The one thing I do like about the mode is that it encourages you to play around with obscure class abilities you'd normally never consider. It taught me that !Flirt is actually a pretty useful command in certain situations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Last minute toxx:

:toxx:

I'll donate $30 for everyone who, in their first run of this Fiesta, finishes the game faster than the winner of the Run.

I'll count up to 30 runs, although honestly I wouldn't be surprised if nobody does this; it sounds hard!

No job fair allowed, but any ruleset is fine. Game time, but please don't reload previous saves to get free time, and if you wipe, record or estimate the amount of time you "wasted" and count it. You must defeat NED.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As in 'first run for this year' or 'first run ever'?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

First run of the year.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Seems unlikely with how easy the run team is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It'd be a more realistic goal if you made it any runner rather than the winner.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Oh.

Is there a way to change what kind of run I'm doing through Gilgabot?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

wokow6 posted:

Oh.

You can just register again and it'll overwrite it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

wokow6 posted:

Oh.

Yeah, just register again. You have until the Fiesta officially starts to change your pre-registration.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Various Meat Products posted:

I have tweeted at gilgabot three times with my registration and haven't gotten a confirmation. Am I missing something here? Other people have successfully registered since I started trying.

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=VariousMeatProd
You're in; I would guess Gilgabot was out of retweets for the day is all

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Seems unlikely with how easy the run team is.

You're not wrong, but oh well, I have another toxx too. I'll leave it up in case somebody surprises me.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FYI for new players, within the first like, 4 hours after fest starts Greg is gonna be timed out for sending all job tweets out. Better to just go to the site to see what jobs you have (or just push the button there on your page rather than #water/fire/earth at him

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is it ok to send your victory tweet with a modded NED in it or should you do a vanilla run for your first “real” victory?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

hopeandjoy posted:

Is it ok to send your victory tweet with a modded NED in it or should you do a vanilla run for your first “real” victory?

Cactuar NED is sent in a lot. These new mods I'm not so sure about but you can send in a picture of the cutscene after NED and he'll allow it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah RK has a very strong "christ I loving wish y'all wouldn't but goons generate a lot of donations so :sigh: I guess" attitude towards Neo Cactuar and Friends.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Alright, I changed to a normal run.

Still really looking forward to this.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah RK has a very strong "christ I loving wish y'all wouldn't but goons generate a lot of donations so :sigh: I guess" attitude towards Neo Cactuar and Friends.

really looking forward to his reaction when the new NEDs start coming in. :allears:

(I said on Discord I'd add $5 to my thing if RK DMs Kyro about it, as a note.)

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
The FJF site could really use a communal pledge (toxx) page to encourage people to play more and likely raise a lot more money.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

wokow6 posted:

Alright, I changed to a normal run.

Still really looking forward to this.
I'm currently working on an LP that's going to be an intro course for new Fiesta-ers. Unfortunately I am a grand total of 5 hours into a... 30ish hour game?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made this. :v:

<there was a video here but its gone now>

I'm proud of it, though I don't really know why. Takes anywhere from half a second to 1 second to update, but it's neat to see anyway.

Just, not entirely sure what else I want it to do...

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 12, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I made this. :v:

*snip*

I'm proud of it, though I don't really know why. Takes anywhere from half a second to 1 second to update, but it's neat to see anyway.

Just, not entirely sure what else I want it to do...

That owns. Great work!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 12, 2021

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Shyfted One posted:

The FJF site could really use a communal pledge (toxx) page to encourage people to play more and likely raise a lot more money.

They do have one http://fourjobfiesta.com/pledges.php, though it looks like most of the current pledges this year are personal ones.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

blakelmenakle posted:

They do have one http://fourjobfiesta.com/pledges.php, though it looks like most of the current pledges this year are personal ones.

I'm not exactly sure how to get listed there, I keep using the hashtag, but maybe you have to embed the tweet in the official discord?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mega64 posted:

That owns. Great work!

Ty!!!! If you're confused, here's the video I originally linked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0rJsbbZFo

Bizhawk + Electron + some HTTP server fuckery.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 12, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kyrosiris posted:

RK doesn't even like people playing on emulators, but he also realises that the FJF community is far too small to splinter it further by arbitrarily policing playstyles. Which is good because I'm pretty sure the event would have died out a long time ago otherwise.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I guess Gilgabot's past his tweet limit and not responding to my reg tweet, but I guess I'll give this a shot. Never played FF5 before, but I've read through a few of the Fiesta LPs and it's always seemed like a good time. I'll try to post proof if I'm actually able to get formally registered.

EDIT:
Hey, reg went through, I'm bad at this. I believe someone was donating for first-time players?

Karia fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 12, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If Gilgabot hasn't replied, check the Players section of the site to see if your Twitter handle has been registered. (e: resolved but kept in reference for future new players)

Honestly, the only thing that really matters for pre-regging is Berserker Risk. If you're not bothering with that, there's no harm in doing it later.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

I actually posted the wrong thing, whoops.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

RK doesn't even like people playing on emulators
A copy of the FF5 Advance cart goes for ~$300 used. :nallears:

Samuel Clemens posted:

but he also realises that the FJF community is far too small to splinter it further by arbitrarily policing playstyles
Yeah. RK has a lot of weird and bad takes, but credit where it's due, he knows the difference between the hills he wants to shout from ('emulators are bad', 'X is the worst Y game because Z and I'm making Gilgabot say so') and the hills he wants to die on (BLM, PCRF), and he generally does a pretty good job of deciding which are which.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 13, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

*counts like, 6 new players and a handful of others maybe in girl dick energy's thread*

close enough

First :toxx: closed, now you new players need to WIN.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Mega64 posted:

Natural is the one modifier I would not recommend under any circumstances.
I would recommend it with a skill randomizer :science:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

wokow6 posted:

Hey all, I signed up for the Fiesta on twitter a few days ago, cause I'd always meant to finally play and finish this game. All previous attempts I had gotten distracted early on, so I want to get all the way through this time.

I signed up for Natural, and am excited to see what I'll get.

When you win, link your fiesta profile. I'm donating $5 for every abandoned first run from previous years.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Signed up for Pure Chaos this year, hoping I get some fun jobs. I've only finished three out of eleven of my runs in the past, so hopefully I can make that ratio a bit better.

Re: Natural run convo from earlier, I found a Classic run where I rolled Knight/Knight/Knight/Thief very fun because of the problem solving involved, but it turns out that Knights are actually a swiss army knife made entirely of magic swords. There's very few other jobs that can give that vibe on their own, Chemist and Blue Mage? Natural would probably be more fun if most of the jobs could reasonably do that.

Classic is at least weighted towards 3/6 -really- good jobs and thief is kinda nice to have if you only roll one, but I don't think I'd run it again because the idea of rolling something like RDM/RDM/MNK/MNK scares the hell out of me.

girl dick energy posted:

A copy of the FF5 Advance cart goes for ~$300 used. :nallears:

What the actual gently caress, I got mine for 15 bucks just a couple years ago.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wait, my bad. $300 is new.

Used is ~$50 for just the cart, $100 with box. Still money I'd much rather spend on actual donations.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

I've been playing with a version of classic where I gave Red Mages White and Black 5 for their two skill slots, gave thief Black 4 and approximately halved the experience table to try to better scale the Monk

It's still basically playing Classic in the sense that you can't play around with the classes, though

Raiad fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 13, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tyty posted:

What the actual gently caress, I got mine for 15 bucks just a couple years ago.

Retrogames are a sought after collectable. A lot of collectable products had their prices completely blown up last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm imagining RK playing on a super famicom with an original cartridge, patiently using freelancers until the earth crystal when he unlocks all the jobs.

And then trying really hard to unlock the final save point, because he could lose all that hard-won progress without the battery!
(battery dies in 25 year old cartridge anyway)