Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Just post cool monster concepts ITT.

The Dianoga.
Check out this cool eyeball. You don't need to see the rest of it. The eyeball tells you all you need to know, there's something in the garbage and it sees you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean you're basically cheating of you use Star Wars. The arena monsters from Episode 2 are all great. You have space rhino, space jaguar and space Praying Mantis abomination.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Every Thing from The Thing.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Slake Moth (Perdido Street Station) . They mesmerize you with their colorful changing wings if you can't get away quickly enough. Then as you stand there drooling they suck your mind out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

RandolphCarter posted:

Every Thing from The Thing.

drat you. When I opened this thread I was going to post that.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
A three inch tall goblin who HATES the fact you think he's cute and will blast you with his ray gun if you smile at him or say 'who's a cutie patootie' to him.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Have considered that humans are the real monsters op?
:thunk:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Critters are cool. They're like gremlins only they fly spaceships, are bad boys and say swears like poo poo and gently caress.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lawman 0 posted:

Have considered that humans are the real monsters op?
:thunk:

Yea but they are decidedly not cool.

E.g. Victor Frankenstein is an uncool monster, Adam Frankenstein is a very cool monster.

Other cool monsters include hulls from blades in the dark and snorlax from pokemon.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The Reapers from Mass Effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NAoNd4YyY

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Maybe the real monsters are gigascale genocide robots

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Man I love practical monster effects.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

RandolphCarter posted:

Man I love practical monster effects.

:hmmyes:

CGI is still pretty drat horrible when it comes to creatures or lots of other stuff. In my opinion. The Hobbit was so disappointing with the terrible CGI. Although one I can think of that really holds up is Starship Troopers surprisingly. But they did a nice mix of practical and CGI effects.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Phil Tippett puppets and animatronics are great.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've heard some theories that CGI has actually gotten worse over the years from the public just accepting the way it looks. It's not really trying anymore to look real or like it's existing in the same world.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i dont really agree with that. the latest marvel movies have prob the best cgi ive seen. the iron man armor is cgi in most shots, for example, and its hardly noticeable. the scenes in thanos' cottage in endgame looked like a video game cutscene, but the rest of the movie looked better.

i mean they're still not good films, but disney has the budget to afford some really high quality effects. it could be that some films prioritize their spending elsewhere, but the state of the art does seem to be improving

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
But I'll tell you what they don't have. Many cool monsters.

Human shaped robot that shoots beams out of it's mouth? Go back to anime with that uninspired garbage. Give me penis monster that lays its eggs down your face or give me death

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ask for penis monster and you shall receive.

oh also:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

AE Van Vogt was terrible at writing human characters and plots that made sense; however he was god-tier at creating & describing sci-fi monsters/alien life forms.

(Opening of "Black Destroyer" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Destroyer)

On and on Coeurl prowled. The black, moonless, almost starless night yielded reluctantly before a grim reddish dawn that crept up from his left. It was a vague light that gave no sense of approaching warmth. It slowly revealed a nightmare landscape.
Jagged black rock and a black, lifeless plain took form around him. A pale red sun peered above the grotesque horizon. Fingers of light probed among the shadows. And still there was no sign of the family of id creatures that he had been trailing now for nearly a hundred days.
He stopped finally, chilled by the reality. His great forelegs twitched with a shuddering movement that arched every razor-sharp claw. The thick tentacles that grew from his shoulders undulated tautly. He twisted his great cat head from side to side, while the hairlike tendrils that formed each ear vibrated frantically, testing every vagrant breeze, every throb in the ether.
There was no response. He felt no swift tingling along his intricate nervous system. There was no suggestion anywhere of the presence of the id creatures, his only source of food on this desolate planet. Hopelessly, Coeurl crouched, an enormous catlike figure silhouetted against the dim, reddish sky line, like a distorted etching of a black tiger in a shadow world.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Raluek posted:

i dont really agree with that. the latest marvel movies have prob the best cgi ive seen. the iron man armor is cgi in most shots, for example, and its hardly noticeable. the scenes in thanos' cottage in endgame looked like a video game cutscene, but the rest of the movie looked better.

i mean they're still not good films, but disney has the budget to afford some really high quality effects. it could be that some films prioritize their spending elsewhere, but the state of the art does seem to be improving

People also don't realise how much of modern films are CG, espeically car scenes. Also, a film's effects will be split between multiple companies, which sometimes explains why some parts look like poo poo in an otherwise decent movie.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Do you want to experience the original version of the Alien movie franchise's Xenomorph, but the monster is even more terrifying?

Then check out Ixtl, another one of AE Van Vogt's alien-monster creations, from the novelette "Discord in Scarlet" which got incorporated into Van Voft's fix-up SF novel Voyage of the Space Beagle. Voyage of the Space Beagle also includes Coeurl the cat-alien who I previously mentioned plus hive mind psychic bird aliens, and a galactic space consciousness that feeds on death.

Ixtl invades a space ship and inserts its eggs in to the stomachs of hapless crew members...does that plot description sound familiar to anyone else? 20th Century Fox Studios apparently thought so, because they settled a plagiarism lawsuit van Vogt brought against them/Ridley Scott/Dan O'Bannon*.

Ixtl is essentially a way more terrifying and capable Xenomorph, even Itxl's backstory is extremely terrifying and WTF than anything the Aliens series has come up with in comics/books/movies. It's implied that the reason why Ixtl was found stranded in deep space so far away from everything else is because Ixtl survived the Big Bang event that created our universe. Also that Ixtl's body is so perfectly geneformed/bio-engineered/adapted to survive anywhere that his race were probably the apex-predators of the previous universe predating ours, and that's likely there is more Ixtl's floating around somewhere in deep space.

*Dan O'Bannon, the screenwriter for ALIEN 1979, had a habit of wholesale incorporating other peoples SFF work in his screenplays unattributed and got the movie studios who greenlighted his screenplays sued a lot. You can make a solid argument that O'Bannon's & Ridley Scott's ALIEN 1979 is essentially a fusion of 1/2 Discord in Scarlet + 1/2 1965's Planet of the Vampires.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Armauk posted:

The Reapers from Mass Effect

Honestly one of my favorite moments in gaming. Mass Effect may not have stuck the landing, but the first game was a masterpiece of world building.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Huh, did you know there is an alien monster Wiki?

Have Alzabo. A predator alien from some other world, it lives wild on earth during the
Urth of the New Sun series. In addition to being a huge bearlike thing that eats people, when it eats a sapient creature, it temporarily absorbs that creature's thoughts and memories. So for awhile, it can talk and act like the thing it just consumed. Severian has several brushes with the thing, most notably when he's staying in a mountain cabin one night, and an Alzabo comes calling with the voice of his recently dead adopted son, who's corpse the Alzabo dug up and ate

It wanted to be let in, it didn't understand why Severian was ignoring it

(I can't remember if the Alzabo could just use the thoughts and memories to its advantage, or if it was "possessed" by them.)

This creature also was the source of some organic compound that allowed cannibals to absorb the memories of dead people, which Severian got to know real well in circumstances scarcely less trippy

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The scifi/fantasy distinction is fake so here's one of my favorite big monsters from dnd

https://dungeons.fandom.com/wiki/Zgazdrkrkl_(3.5e_Elder_Evil)

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've heard some theories that CGI has actually gotten worse over the years from the public just accepting the way it looks. It's not really trying anymore to look real or like it's existing in the same world.

Oddly I think that part of what I don't like about how CGI gets used is that it's rare for CGI to be used to make things look deliberately unnatural. The sandstorm in Fury Road is a good example of "this is supposed to look unreal" and I'd love more of that than just "we'll use CGI because it's easier in some way than practical effects."

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Immortan Joe is a wonderfully designed monster.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Bringing up Barlow's Guide to Extraterrestrials is probably cheating.
It's an out of print artbook from the 1980's filled with sort-of-accurate oil paintings of over 45 different scifi monsters.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/940230.Barlowe_s_Guide_to_Extraterrestrials

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tulip posted:

The scifi/fantasy distinction is fake so here's one of my favorite big monsters from dnd

https://dungeons.fandom.com/wiki/Zgazdrkrkl_(3.5e_Elder_Evil)

this appears to be an evil jellyfish made up by someone named foxwarrior. is this what you meant to link?

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

quantumfoam posted:

Bringing up Barlow's Guide to Extraterrestrials is probably cheating.
It's an out of print artbook from the 1980's filled with sort-of-accurate oil paintings of over 45 different scifi monsters.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/940230.Barlowe_s_Guide_to_Extraterrestrials

"You will see scarlet lion-centaur vagina; if that's a deal breaker, leave now."

More like a deal clincher.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Technical improvements are being made all the time, but I think the prevalance of modern bad (or probably more accurately, mediocre) CGI is just due to more people having access to the tools. For the first couple of decades, it was really easy to divide stuff in to "bad" or "good" CGI, because the industry was new and there were really only a couple of high tier studios doing really good work. As the industry evolved and talent began to disseminate, more VFX studios were able to do work approaching the quality of wealthier companies like ILM and Weta, often by specializing in certain types of work.

For example, a company called Lola gives actors digital facelifts on pretty much every movie out there, and is the go-to studio for Marvel's de-aging stuff. Another company, Scanline, is basically just "the water studio" because of how heavily specialized they are in fluid simulations. Some "bad" CGI might come from a VFX company going too far outside their wheelhouse. Scanline did the ocean fight in Godzilla Vs Kong, which makes sense. But they also did some of the hollow earth stuff, which (to me at least) felt a lot more "CG" than their other work on the movie.

Other VFX places also have ongoing relationships with specific studios or directors which can affect the quality of work. If a VFX studio has a good relationship with a director who really understands the technology and the backing of a studio that isn't going to do a lot of meddling, then you're going to see good images. DNEG won an Oscar for their work on Interstellar, thanks in part to having a long partnership with Christopher Nolan and Warner Bros. On the flip side, you've got a company like Sony Imageworks, which basically by necessity has to work on a lot of (historically very mismanaged) Sony movies, and as a result isn't very prestigious.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Capitalism also plays a big part, as studios bid on VFX shots, trying to offer the studios the lowest prices they can still function on. And often, you get what you pay for. Plus, formerly good studios (eg; DNEG) can get into financial difficulties, or require capital for expansion, get bought out by venture capitalists or overseas interests, and the quality of work drastically decline as they're gutted from within.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tulip posted:

The scifi/fantasy distinction is fake

it’s real and strong and my friend

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I want to propose the skin of evil from star trek. Not so much for being menacing or a cool design, but just conceptually moderately cool. A species leaving their worst instincts behind, not figuratively but literally.

And nothing was ever funnier in tng than killing Tasha yar

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Slake Moth (Perdido Street Station) . They mesmerize you with their colorful changing wings if you can't get away quickly enough. Then as you stand there drooling they suck your mind out.

is this series as awesome as it sounds?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
well it’s a book and it’s China Mieville so probably not

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

it’s real and strong and my friend

fie!

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 5, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ikanreed posted:

I want to propose the skin of evil from star trek. Not so much for being menacing or a cool design, but just conceptually moderately cool. A species leaving their worst instincts behind, not figuratively but literally.

Armus was the scariest thing in my childhood, I was loving terrifed by him

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

is this series as awesome as it sounds?

his bas-lag books have cool things spread throughout them but they never spend enough time on the really cool stuff. a lot happens off screen while you get detailed bug sex scenes and weird poo poo like that. i loved his 'the city & the city' book though.

i think he is a sex creep too so that is also a negative

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

ptkfvk posted:

his bas-lag books have cool things spread throughout them but they never spend enough time on the really cool stuff. a lot happens off screen while you get detailed bug sex scenes and weird poo poo like that. i loved his 'the city & the city' book though.

i think he is a sex creep too so that is also a negative

yea I read the wiki entries on a lot of the stuff. I know wiki entry condensation of info can make stories seem more coherent and interesting than they are. I liked the Giant Spider-That-Knows-All with inexplicably normal-sized human hands just trying to keep reality from collapsing in on itself and helping out the protagonist for inscrutable reasons. Also he likes to collect scissors. And ears. All the left ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

ikanreed posted:

I would argue that trekkies pitching a fit over her death was funnier. And that they had to make that alternate timeline-ep where she gets to have a noble death.