Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

jesus WEP posted:

breath of the wild is probably my favourite game since fonv, it’s so loving cool

i loving suck at video games but with botw I feel like i can just kind of take my time and not rush into things in order to still have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

President Beep posted:

i loving suck at video games but with botw I feel like i can just kind of take my time and not rush into things in order to still have fun.

it really is great at not making you feel like you have to hurry up and chase $GOAL

i've never played the expansion but since it's been like 2 years since i've played botw maybe it's worth it idk

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oh zelda’s been locked in a ceaseless struggle with ganon for 100 years? cool cool, just gonna throw a snowball down a hill for 2 hours so i can afford pretty things for my new house

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Armitag3 posted:

Bad news Beep, BotW is an anime game.

Umm, would an anime game have Bobby Hill?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
just finished replaying control on my ps5 with reflections turned on and it looks real nice

fire both whoever did the save system and whoever did the mod system though

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what’s so bad about the save system

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

now listen here jack, how the hell do i list what games i have on the steam website?

e: eh, found it. the design is hosed up

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 12, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jesus WEP posted:

what’s so bad about the save system

at least on pc, there's only one save at a time, so you can't start a second playthrough without deleting your first. this means the chapter select destroys all progress past the start of the chapter you start. at least in my experience the saves were also prone to corruption if the game crashed

also it used to be that you always had to respawn at a control point which for bosses meant the retry loop was pointlessly long as you have to walk all the way back to the boss

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

carry on then posted:

at least on pc, there's only one save at a time, so you can't start a second playthrough without deleting your first. this means the chapter select destroys all progress past the start of the chapter you start. at least in my experience the saves were also prone to corruption if the game crashed

also it used to be that you always had to respawn at a control point which for bosses meant the retry loop was pointlessly long as you have to walk all the way back to the boss
this all sounds bad

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

jesus WEP posted:

this all sounds bad

IMO, playing on normal, it was mostly just "annoying" and made the pacing a little uneven at some points. It was only really hair-pulling for an optional boss.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

TontoCorazon posted:

Umm, would an anime game have Bobby Hill?

I don’t know you! that’s my ‘force!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in one of the DLCs they gave you the ability to replay on demand the only part anyone ever wanted to replay so that took some of the sting out of it. still no excuse for not allowing more than one save slot

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Dark Souls forces you to juke your way back to most boss fights and it does have its upsides. It gives you time to reset your tilt and also makes you concentrate on dodging the enemies along the way to further reset your impulses along the way to the next attempt.

Sekiro patched in a boss rush mode that lets you just charge straight back in to whatever boss fight you want (though you have to beat each boss in-game before they show up in boss rush obv) and the later games do put checkpoints right before the tougher boss fights, I feel like it loses something from that change but it is certainly less frustrating too so idk. It's easy to get stuck in a loop of failure against, say, Gael in DS3, because you spawn right back at his fog gate and it's just straight back to dodging and poking right away almost like the fight never ended.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

carry on then posted:

at least on pc, there's only one save at a time, so you can't start a second playthrough without deleting your first
huh, i just started senua and it has the same single autosave thing going on

cant gently caress up your progress with chapter select at least

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sapozhnik posted:

Dark Souls forces you to juke your way back to most boss fights and it does have its upsides. It gives you time to reset your tilt and also makes you concentrate on dodging the enemies along the way to further reset your impulses along the way to the next attempt.

Sekiro patched in a boss rush mode that lets you just charge straight back in to whatever boss fight you want (though you have to beat each boss in-game before they show up in boss rush obv) and the later games do put checkpoints right before the tougher boss fights, I feel like it loses something from that change but it is certainly less frustrating too so idk. It's easy to get stuck in a loop of failure against, say, Gael in DS3, because you spawn right back at his fog gate and it's just straight back to dodging and poking right away almost like the fight never ended.

control doesn't really have anything to recharge since you're full healed at each control point. it was also exacerbated by the long load times, at least at first.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sapozhnik posted:

idk if its just nostalgia but the way the world and levels are built in ds1 is just so unbelievably good, no hub with teleporting just a beautifully constructed web.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
i think its widely accepted that the world design is great in dark souls 1

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I just watched the bf2042 trailer and oh my god I forgot about my absolute favourite thing: strapping detpacks to the atv and yoloing it into the side of a tank

if I can do that with the electric tuk tuk in the trailer then goty 2021 as far as I'm concerned

also lol at the trailer implication that nobody can fly planes or helis for poo poo except for the one guy doing aerobatics and jumping out of the plain to rpg another jet then getting back in

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

microsoft buying bethesda working out as expected: not so much exclusives as that they're just putting everything on game pass right from launch. the value is ridiculous and will apparently keep getting better.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

psiox posted:

it really is great at not making you feel like you have to hurry up and chase $GOAL

i've never played the expansion but since it's been like 2 years since i've played botw maybe it's worth it idk

its pretty good, it's a decent amount of content and some fun extra story bits

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I just watched the bf2042 trailer and oh my god I forgot about my absolute favourite thing: strapping detpacks to the atv and yoloing it into the side of a tank

if I can do that with the electric tuk tuk in the trailer then goty 2021 as far as I'm concerned

also lol at the trailer implication that nobody can fly planes or helis for poo poo except for the one guy doing aerobatics and jumping out of the plain to rpg another jet then getting back in

isn't the new bf a hero shooter now

what was wrong with classes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

President Beep posted:

we gave our son a switch for his birthday on thursday. thing is really fun. breath of the wild is a blast.

breath of the wild is the best game of the last decade. maybe of all time, strong contender at least.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

breath of the wild is the best game of the last decade. maybe of all time, strong contender at least.

agreed. anyone can pick up and play it. I was dating someone when that game out and she wasn’t a gamer at all, but saw me collecting poo poo to cook stuff and run around. I put it down to go cook actual dinner and she was running around collecting ingredients and stocking up my food supply. a week later she was clearing an occasional shrine to get more stamina. then like a week or 2 after that she killed her first guardian tower thing, whatever the outdoor tracking beam ones are called.

that game was so loving good I might buy it again for the switch (I played on wii-I), although I saw someone play it on a wii-u emulator at 60fps (faster than the switch) and it looks really nice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

my contention is always that the secret to nintendo game quality is that the average job tenure in nintendo is 13 years

japanese job security is a complete clusterfuck when it doesnt work but its amazing when it does

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

isn't the new bf a hero shooter now

what was wrong with classes

they're changing it up so operators are just your class-style gadgets and guns are no longer restricted by class

want to have a spawn beacon and a light machine gun? go nuts champ

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my son and i were playing earlier and were trying to figure out how to get across the really cold river. i came up with a plan that involved cutting downs trees (there was an axe buried in a tree nearby, leaving a strong hint), floating them down the river, and then using the logs to get to a little sailboat that was tethered to a partially ruined dock.

i knew it could work, but it was tricky, and i died multiple times when I’d slide off the logs into the water. my son picks up the controller, climbs a nearby cliff, and just walks around the source of the river at the top of the plateau, getting to where he needed to be. it was very humbling.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

President Beep posted:

my son and i were playing earlier and were trying to figure out how to get across the really cold river. i came up with a plan that involved cutting downs trees (there was an axe buried in a tree nearby, leaving a strong hint), floating them down the river, and then using the logs to get to a little sailboat that was tethered to a partially ruined dock.

i knew it could work, but it was tricky, and i died multiple times when I’d slide off the logs into the water. my son picks up the controller, climbs a nearby cliff, and just walks around the source of the river at the top of the plateau, getting to where he needed to be. it was very humbling.

Learn how to bomb jump and you will be a master of fast traveling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3vCanV6zW0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

President Beep posted:

owned by the fruit of your owned loins

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

finding a simple and elegant solution? now idk what to believe re: hbag being your kid

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Endless Mike posted:

this looks very cool but very much like something I'd want to play on my phone or iPad

dioxazine posted:

this looks like a great game for a tablet, hope that happens.. especially when i get forced back into the office

i could see it working well on a tablet for sure

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jon of MATN did a DorfRomantik first-look video a while back, absolutley not my cuppa gamewise but it looks pretty enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTdcivGhiyA

Also I watched the latest FO4YOLO just now and I was hella bored, I don't think much of the Nuka-World DLC at the best of times and it showed in this episode, a lot of boring wall climbing interspersed with a few bits of ill-considered action against Bloodworms. He's down to roughly half-health at the start of NW with all of Far Harbor, Automatron and the rest of the base game to go, I don't see this run lasting the distance tbh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i could see it working well on a tablet for sure

i bought it anyway and it's pretty fun!

so i just want it on my ipad even more!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HELLPOINT is apparently a GOG freebie right now

https://www.gog.com/game/hellpoint

Never heard of it, but I don't mind 3rd person ARPGs so much so I guess I'll take a look :o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdub_c0Ml0I

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also I watched the latest FO4YOLO just now and I was hella bored, I don't think much of the Nuka-World DLC at the best of times and it showed in this episode, a lot of boring wall climbing interspersed with a few bits of ill-considered action against Bloodworms. He's down to roughly half-health at the start of NW with all of Far Harbor, Automatron and the rest of the base game to go, I don't see this run lasting the distance tbh.
NukaWorld was fun enough to play imo but it’s death to watch. i think he’s basically planning to swim around the island as much as possible in far harbor so he might not take too much damage there. automaton will be the death of him though.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Endless Mike posted:

i bought it anyway and it's pretty fun!

so i just want it on my ipad even more!

:yosnice:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

rct classic was a surprise, works great on a tablet

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

HELLPOINT is apparently a GOG freebie right now

https://www.gog.com/game/hellpoint

Never heard of it, but I don't mind 3rd person ARPGs so much so I guess I'll take a look :o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdub_c0Ml0I
It's pretty good, though you can get what is probably the best weapon in the game very early in. I thought it was fun enough to 100% (well, 150% by the game's count) it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the art direction looks cool, but even in their own trailer, the animations look pretty bad.

i saw it on one of iron pineapple's round up of soulslikes, and he was pretty hard on it. seemed pretty buggy and derivative. did they polish it up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmxnZd1gI_c&t=1182s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
been playing Returnal a lot. it's super pretty and super hard. sometimes super unfair too, when the first room after a fresh respawn is one of the big difficulty spike arenas and you have to deal with a half dozen flying guys and a half dozen turrets and a big guy chasing you around and all you have is the basic peashooter. it really is an over-the-shoulder version of housemarq's normal arcade shooter style with all that entails, plus horror and sci fi weirdness

I did lol though when I reached the big shocking midgame twist and it's basically a high-tech high-budget version of this old comic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
returnal looks like it could be fun, is there much of a sense of exploration though? Or does the procgen stuff start repeating really quickly?

speaking of exploring, is Hytale ever going to come out?