Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
There was an article in the Guardian, I think, a few years ago where the author described how he got suckered into giving away his bank account and PIN. He straight owned up to the mistakes he made, but it was obvious that just about everyone would have been caught.

From memory, it exploited some quirk of the phone system where a "merchant" calls the mark to report a problem with their card, advising them to contact their bank. The mark hangs up but the merchant stays on the line and when the mark calls his bank, they get reconnected to the merchant, who pretends to be their bank. Clever and easy to fall for:

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/spending/consumer-rights/avoid-getting-caught-by-a-phone-scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nonathlon posted:

There was an article in the Guardian, I think, a few years ago where the author described how he got suckered into giving away his bank account and PIN. He straight owned up to the mistakes he made, but it was obvious that just about everyone would have been caught.

From memory, it exploited some quirk of the phone system where a "merchant" calls the mark to report a problem with their card, advising them to contact their bank. The mark hangs up but the merchant stays on the line and when the mark calls his bank, they get reconnected to the merchant, who pretends to be their bank. Clever and easy to fall for:

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/spending/consumer-rights/avoid-getting-caught-by-a-phone-scam

I remember this being a quirk in the phone systems... decades ago. Is this still the same behavior?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I remember this being a quirk in the phone systems... decades ago. Is this still the same behavior?

That was a thing with really old electromechanical switches, the call didn't terminate until the originator hung up. I'd be amazed if anything installed in the last 50 years was vulnerable but if the author lives in an old part of town in London that prides itself on old stuff or something similar I could see it happening.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m not sure about the US, but in the UK at least only the originating party can terminate the call so it’s fairly straightforward.

Call the mark and tell him to call the bank.
They hang up, you stay on the line and mute your end.
Mark picks back up and dials, you unmute and play the sounds of a phone ringing.
Stop the ring and pretend to be the bank.

Landlines only naturally, not cell phones.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

Also unironically throwing compassionate out as an insult. lol

Wasn't there a somethingawful hate site that exists to be made at SA named something similiar?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m not sure about the US, but in the UK at least only the originating party can terminate the call so it’s fairly straightforward.

Call the mark and tell him to call the bank.
They hang up, you stay on the line and mute your end.
Mark picks back up and dials, you unmute and play the sounds of a phone ringing.
Stop the ring and pretend to be the bank.

Landlines only naturally, not cell phones.

Didn't realize it still works like that in the UK! In the US yeah, when either party hangs up the call ends.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

Wasn't there a somethingawful hate site that exists to be made at SA named something similiar?

Something Sensitive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Midjack posted:

Didn't realize it still works like that in the UK! In the US yeah, when either party hangs up the call ends.

Someone there with a landline will have to confirm, I moved away a few years ago and it’d been a while since I dealt with landlines before then. That’s how the behavior always worked though and I’d be surprised if it changed. It did have some uses, like someone could call you and you’d pick up the line closest and could then resume the call somewhere more comfortable. Of course it was always a pain if someone thought they’d hung up but didn’t, and tie up your line for however long (it will start blaring a loud noise out their handset after a while at least).

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If someone didn't like you, they can just call you once and disable your phone for as long as they don't hang up? That makes no sense.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

A lot of old phone stuff is very idiosyncratic to local equipment. Like the stereotypical movie thing where one side hangs up and the other side gets a dial tone is how the telephone exchange that served the Hollywood area actually worked back in the day and a quirk of how two exchanges from different manufacturers were hooked together. Nowhere else ever did that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like it got massively reduced a handful of years ago and was a holdover from the old analog exchanges when they switched over to digital and just kept around. Also sounds like the length of time for the call to clear differed depending on circumstances (I’m sure one of those circs is British Telecom enjoying charging the line for a call that wasn’t active).

E: ha that Hollywood example above is great. Phone stuff is just super interesting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bamhand posted:

If someone didn't like you, they can just call you once and disable your phone for as long as they don't hang up? That makes no sense.

Yeah, that's how it worked when I was a kid. It sucked. That being said, it did cost them money to stay connected to you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The pro phreakers from 50 years ago are all either dead or elderly at this point, but if you can ever locate one, oh the stories you could hear.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The first few years of 2600 are on kindle for like $9 total and lemme tell you that ride is worth the ticket

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s also the 2600 A Hacker Odyssey which is a huge best of book. I have it in hardback and you could beat someone to death with it it’s so big. Exploding the Phone is good too, I need to read more of that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Midjack posted:

Something Sensitive.

I visited that site a few years ago and now it seems to have been wiped out. There's only a couple of topics there now.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

That was a thing with really old electromechanical switches, the call didn't terminate until the originator hung up. I'd be amazed if anything installed in the last 50 years was vulnerable but if the author lives in an old part of town in London that prides itself on old stuff or something similar I could see it happening.

Once in a blue moon that happened to me as a kid/young teen, and I thought it was just my piece of poo poo phone. And that was Long Island, which I could see having pockets of old rear end infrastructure around in the 2000s.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Midjack posted:

It worked the opposite when I was a kid. People used to prank call us and we'd set the handset next to the stereo and tie up the phone line for hours.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someone there with a landline will have to confirm, I moved away a few years ago and it’d been a while since I dealt with landlines before then. That’s how the behavior always worked though and I’d be surprised if it changed. It did have some uses, like someone could call you and you’d pick up the line closest and could then resume the call somewhere more comfortable. Of course it was always a pain if someone thought they’d hung up but didn’t, and tie up your line for however long (it will start blaring a loud noise out their handset after a while at least).

We used to have this problem every so often with my grandparents when I lived at home. They'd think they had put the phone properly, but it hadn't terminated the call.

And of course there is no way to call them back to tell them. Because obviously the mobile phone we got them is turned off and in a drawer, because it's only taken out when they went in the car.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
More spam than a scam but does anyone else get constant emails from Neighbourhood, Interesting Information, or Quora full of stupid questions? Always answered by the smuggest people who seem to not actually know anything about the subject. I'm sure I block them and unsubscribe but they keep coming back.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Annabel Pee posted:

More spam than a scam but does anyone else get constant emails from Neighbourhood, Interesting Information, or Quora full of stupid questions? Always answered by the smuggest people who seem to not actually know anything about the subject. I'm sure I block them and unsubscribe but they keep coming back.

I never go to Quora because before I knew about this spam I gave them my email and now I get emails everyv time I visit the page.

"Still curious about that subject? Here are some more things you might like!”

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Red Oktober posted:

We used to have this problem every so often with my grandparents when I lived at home. They'd think they had put the phone properly, but it hadn't terminated the call.

And of course there is no way to call them back to tell them. Because obviously the mobile phone we got them is turned off and in a drawer, because it's only taken out when they went in the car.

Strong memories of driving 40 miles each way in the dead of winter to tell my grandma she'd not hung the phone up properly.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

I get endless emails from Quora and I can't for the life of me remember ever giving them my email address.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Annabel Pee posted:

Quora over communicates massively and should you ever create an account there, you'll get emails and alerts on everything. I eventually deleted my account there (they seem to require an account to read more than 2 articles) as that was the only thing that stopped it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You can just mark as spam/unsubscribe with gmail a few times and it will stop.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Annabel Pee posted:

No but I'm getting a lot of poo poo from people who want to buy my house

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't answer my phone or check my email anymore

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Annabel Pee posted:

Quora started sending me some racist "questions" and "answers* because was linked at some point to some question that was tagged "it's ok to be white" which was uh...

I reported the group, though I don't expect anything to come of it :shepicide:, I've just blocked the group and took the opportunity to turn off every "message me about" knob. Deleting the account probably isn't a terrible next step.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Quora has the same problem as most social media platforms, it’s OK to be a nazi but it’s not OK to call someone a loving nazi.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

nonathlon posted:

Quora over communicates massively and should you ever create an account there, you'll get emails and alerts on everything. I eventually deleted my account there (they seem to require an account to read more than 2 articles) as that was the only thing that stopped it.

Yeah it's the most annoying thing. I remember when Quora had a huge data breach a few years back and I was just waiting for all of the negative press blasting them because they're so aggressive in forcing people to sign up, yet I never saw articles like that which you think would have made for easy content for people to get outraged over. Made no sense to me.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Original_Z posted:

Yeah it's the most annoying thing. I remember when Quora had a huge data breach a few years back and I was just waiting for all of the negative press blasting them because they're so aggressive in forcing people to sign up, yet I never saw articles like that which you think would have made for easy content for people to get outraged over. Made no sense to me.

I swear they were pushing clickbait into your feed. Despite me never engaging with content like that, I was constantly getting headlines like "When will people admit that Donald Trump is the greatest president ever?" and "How good will Brexit for the UK - awesome or just amazing?" Probably not surprising, the YouTube model has proved amazing successful.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I checked Facebook marketplace for a used dewalt string trimmer that would be compatible with the batteries I have for other tools, but anything real seems buried in heaps of posts of people selling new-in-box dewalt tools of all types, pallets of random dewalt boxes in the pictures.

Is there a big knock-off problem of scam dewalt products just openly being sold on Craigslist and fb marketplace?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

90% of craigslist, fb market and etsy are now all aliexpress with extra steps

the rest is shoplifted

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

duodenum posted:

Is there a big knock-off problem of scam dewalt products just openly being sold on Craigslist and fb marketplace?

My brother-in-law got a bunch of definitely not stolen Dewalt poo poo for cheap out of a storage unit.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, buying anything online these days is just a minefield. As mentioned, all the Craigslist and Craigslist-like sites are dominated by scams, shoplifting, and knock-off drop shipping crap. At Amazon, it's increasingly difficult to verify the validity of any product. I purchased a toe-nail clipper and I was sent a cheap knock-off - that's where we are with that.

I've personally basically come full circle, where I use Amazon for window shopping and then buy the actual product direct from the manufacturer. Buying anything second hand off the Internet is basically never happening again for me unless I can examine the product first.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd honestly be willing to drop 2-2.5x MSRP on a 3080 Ti to finally upgrade my aging rig, but so much of the poo poo out there is counterfeit even if you buy it off Amazon so I'm holding off for now.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are there really counterfeit video cards? I finally gave in and got a 3080 ti off ebay at 50% mark up. Came as advertised. Obviously the risk there varies a bunch by seller. I'm seeing cards regularly sell at $2000-$2100 for that card.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yes, and they range from pretty obvious if you're paying attention: https://hothardware.com/news/dont-buy-any-of-these-ridiculous-geforce-rtx-30-cards-on-amazon

To much less obvious: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/gpu-counterfeiters-fooling-pc-gamers-with-fake-cards/

Also in some cases even if you get the "correct" card it's got dodgy parts in it because of supply chain shortages: https://pcper.com/2021/06/global-chip-shortage-or-counterfeiters-paradise/

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Interesting. In that case ebay actually might be safer since you're seeing actual photos of the product. Plus you can try and register the serial number once you receive the item. I suppose you can't be 100% safe though. I got my card last week and I'm glad everything appears to be as it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is Newegg still legit? I built my current computer from them in 2013 (gently caress my computer is getting old) and they were within a few bucks of the “deal” websites.