Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

McCracAttack posted:

I don't know the first thing about wall mounts but they seem like an odd thing to cheap out on considering what's at stake.

Unless you have a niche specific function... most cheap mounts work perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Gyshall posted:

I'm in the market for a 75 inch TV... We mostly do Netflix/Plex content, occasionally sports.

I usually go with The Wirecutter for recommendations but I wanted to check with you goons would suggest for my use case and current electronics climate.
Since you didn't specify a budget I'll have to go with the 77" LG G1. Enjoy.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

BonoMan posted:

Unless you have a niche specific function... most cheap mounts work perfectly fine.

Yeah, I'm not going with the $30 models, but I'm not looking to spend $320 if I don't need to, either. Probably getting an Echogear.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Gyshall posted:

I'm in the market for a 75 inch TV... We mostly do Netflix/Plex content, occasionally sports.

I usually go with The Wirecutter for recommendations but I wanted to check with you goons would suggest for my use case and current electronics climate.

That's not a terribly demanding criteria. Have a look here for a second opinion after Wirecutter: The 6 Best 70-75-77 Inch TVs - Spring 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

I don't know the first thing about wall mounts but they seem like an odd thing to cheap out on considering what's at stake.

There's cheaping out, but you get diminishing returns after $100 or so.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tricky Ed posted:

Yeah, I'm not going with the $30 models, but I'm not looking to spend $320 if I don't need to, either. Probably getting an Echogear.

But also the $30 models work just fine. They aren't going to fall off the wall.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Na but if you have an arm they can bend on the cheaper models.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreenNight posted:

Na but if you have an arm they can bend on the cheaper models.

I've never seen that happen and I have used and installed *tons* of cheap arm models (such as this onehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WYVBR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It's almost certainly people installing it incorrectly or using it incorrectly (ie using the wrong weight-rated model for their tv).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’ve installed maybe 40 TVs at the manufacturing company I work for. I’ve seen it bend even with the size and weight ratings. Not a lot mind, but enough where you can see the back of the mount. Bugs me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Modern LED/OLED TVs are so much lighter than they used to be it's less of an issue compared to something like a plasma from 10 years ago. My mount purchased in 2007 says it's rated to 175 pounds and up to a 65" TV whereas a modern 65" is around 50 pounds.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

qirex posted:

Modern LED/OLED TVs are so much lighter than they used to be it's less of an issue compared to something like a plasma from 10 years ago. My mount purchased in 2007 says it's rated to 175 pounds and up to a 65" TV whereas a modern 65" is around 50 pounds.

Yeah, my 2020 Hisense for the same dimensions is half the weight of my 2012 plasma, and that was already pretty decent back when I bought it, being equal to the weight of my 21" viewsonic crt monitor (65lbs.).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess it's more likely the TV will flex than any mount over $50.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Going back a bit, but I DID end up getting the Vizio m7q. Unfortunately I had to return two separate models. First had horrid DSE and dead pixels, second one wouldn't output sound on HDMI or optical and would only work on native apps? Anyway, I ended up getting them to upgrade me to a Hisense u6g and I'm thrilled with what I got 🤷🏼‍♂️

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

qirex posted:

Not mount related but I was surprised: My 4K LG LED could be easily lifted with one hand, like it weighed as much as my cat. My new 48 inch CX however is absurdly heavy and you absolutely need two people setting it up if you want to even slightly minimise risking it even though it’s much (much) thinner

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I have one of these currently from about 2016. It works fine but now that I have a PS5 and I'm trying to play fancy newfangled games on it I'm really noticing that the contrast is weird and I'm sure the pictures don't look as pretty as they could, so I want to upgrade. I read the OP and can see that OLED is superior to anything else but they're a little pricier than I wanted to go - I'd ideally like to stay close to AUD1,000 at most. If I buy a nice new LED TV instead is that going to be a significant upgrade in picture quality? Have there been changes in normal LED technology in the last five or so years (or is my current TV just a lovely one?)? I don't care at all about smart features.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It'll be brighter most likely, and if you get one with a local dimming array you can enjoy HDR.

Biggest thing in LED aside from Quantum Dots has been mini/micro LED for finer control of dimming zones.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks, that's really helpful. At a quick google it looks like the LED TVs that have local dimming that are available around here are starting to edge up in price anyway, so at that point I may as well hang around for a good deal on an OLED and it won't be a whole lot more.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking to replace my office TV that I basically use for gaming and the occasional video. I would prefer something less than 50" because given the space, I don't think I can even manage that. Are there any 35-48" TVs that lean more towards the budget side? I was hoping to grab a TCL, but doesn't look like they have anything in that size range.

I know the CX and C1 both come in 48" variations, but given this won't be the home's primary display (already have a 65" CX for the living room), I don't want to blow the budget on one. I also don't care all that much about getting 4K60 as I'm just running a ps4, switch, and the occasional 360 for rock band. Current TV is an ancient Samsung I got over 10 years ago that's just trucking along but is showing its age.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They're kind of rare but TCL does make sets in your size range

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
is there anything I should do in prep to move my LG E9? We have movers that are taking care of it, but do I need to do anything special for the base/etc?

NW Knapstars
Aug 14, 2015

Just got an LG CX for my PS5 and I'm loving the improved visuals (had a LG 42LH30 from 2009). Now I think I want to add a sound bar to improve the audio but I'm not as sure what I should be looking for... does anyone have any good suggestions?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

NW Knapstars posted:

Just got an LG CX for my PS5 and I'm loving the improved visuals (had a LG 42LH30 from 2009). Now I think I want to add a sound bar to improve the audio but I'm not as sure what I should be looking for... does anyone have any good suggestions?

Get a real AV system

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

If you live alone in a cabin in the woods where no one can hear you get an av system. If you don't be a good neighbour/housemate and just get a good pair of wireless headphones.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NW Knapstars posted:

What's your budget?

NW Knapstars
Aug 14, 2015

BonoMan posted:

What's your budget?

I would like to stay below $1000 if possible. I would just use my headphones but my partner likes to watch and I don't want to deny them important audio moments.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

NW Knapstars posted:

I would like to stay below $1000 if possible. I would just use my headphones but my partner likes to watch and I don't want to deny them important audio moments.

Assert dominance and make them watch in silence.

There are like 100 lists of top soundbars online. Look at Wirecutter and Rtings for a start, maybe CNET too if they have one.

I got a JBL 2.1 DEEPPPPP BASSSSSS soundbar, it's alright, I didn't want to go with the JBL 5.1 since if I'm doing 5.1 I want to have an actually good setup. That was my logic.

If you want to splurge, Sonos has a dope lineup, but the soundbar is like $700 then if you want a sub I think it's at least another $500.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-soundbar/

They really like the Vizio Elevate, it's definitely worth a look and could be a fit for you. Again I didn't want to do the whole 5.1 thing with rear surrounds on stands (I have a relatively small space), but maybe you do.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 13, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have the Sonos Arc as part of their 5.1 setup and I really like it. The sub is complete overkill in my apartment and the Arc would likely be great on its own.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Internet Explorer posted:

I have the Sonos Arc as part of their 5.1 setup and I really like it. The sub is complete overkill in my apartment and the Arc would likely be great on its own.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/surround-set-arc-sub-one-sl.html drat, yeah this would be a very nice setup. I just need more money :(

I just got the One SL alone and it sounds good (for music, not as a TV speaker)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 13, 2021

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I actually went looking earlier for a new audio setup to replace my aging Logitech 5.1 speakers and my research brought me to the sonos arc but I bought a much cheaper Sony soundbar with Dolby Atmos "support" instead lol

I'm going to be replacing it all with a proper setup eventually but for now something that doesn't have 11 different cables coming out of the subwoofer works for me

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

NW Knapstars posted:

The new Samsung flagship, Q950A just came out so you should be able to find their previous flagship, Q950T for around $1000 or so.
https://youtu.be/jizMDqt59C0

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Samsung Atmos bars are really great but way expensive. The Vizio Elevate doesn't quite sound as great but it's still a very capable (and expensive) option.

Only thing with the Elevate is that it has this really loving annoying pop/whine when changing audio formats. Something like streaming with commercial cut-ins gets really annoying really fast.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're in that budget range at least think about going amp/speakers. I get it if you have only a couple hundred dollars and just want something slightly better or are dead set on a one box solution but no amount of DSP trickery can account for tiny drivers. Not just for bass in music and effects but male voices in particular benefit greatly from more capable speakers. If you have room to position them properly bookshelf speakers with normal sized drivers [5" or bigger] will sound so much better than a soundbar, even an expensive one. Nobody really makes soundbars with decently sized drivers since so much of the appeal is the small size, the $900 Bluesound Pulse is the only one that springs to mind and that has dual 4" and gets panned in reviews for being too big.

A thousand dollars can get you something like this receiver, a pair of these and stands. There are single box solutions like the Sonos Amp or Bluesound Powernode that are more decor friendly as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Quirex is right that a decent set of speakers and receiver are on another level. Last Winter, I dragged out my 5.1 gear for an afternoon and playing Witcher 3 on that poo poo was sublime. I mean, the directionality and separation was just so, so good.

What wasn't as great was all the futzing with settings and cable running. If you have aesthetic concerns, pets, kids, or housemates that don't want cable around and you can't run wire in the walls, Soundbars are a valid choice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah obvi from my past posting soundbars are valid for all the reasons Filthy imp posted... But I'm with Qirex here. For that budget I'd look at a decent AV system.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Wife would have killed me if I ended up getting something like the Klipsch Costco special to put into our living room. Had to get a good looking soundbar to mount on the wall wirelessly. Ended up getting the Sonos Ikea rears for the rear surrounds though.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Just redecorate the room, and while you are redecorating accidentally make some holes, and then oh well may as well run speaker wire everywhere as you are going to have to patch anyway.

Note, that this may take more time than you think, I am in month 5 of redecorating.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

qirex posted:

If you're in that budget range at least think about going amp/speakers. I get it if you have only a couple hundred dollars and just want something slightly better or are dead set on a one box solution but no amount of DSP trickery can account for tiny drivers. Not just for bass in music and effects but male voices in particular benefit greatly from more capable speakers. If you have room to position them properly bookshelf speakers with normal sized drivers [5" or bigger] will sound so much better than a soundbar, even an expensive one. Nobody really makes soundbars with decently sized drivers since so much of the appeal is the small size, the $900 Bluesound Pulse is the only one that springs to mind and that has dual 4" and gets panned in reviews for being too big.

A thousand dollars can get you something like this receiver, a pair of these and stands. There are single box solutions like the Sonos Amp or Bluesound Powernode that are more decor friendly as well.

What about subwoofer? Or do you think bookshelf 2.0 is enough for most content?

I had a 2.1 system that worked ok, I actually made the odd decision to go to soundbar, because I didn't want to go through the hassle of buying and mounting a center channel for 3.1, and dialogue was a bit hard to hear with 2.1 since I had no center.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Inner Light posted:

What about subwoofer? Or do you think bookshelf 2.0 is enough for most content?

Bass is tricky, it depends hugely on your room. When my sub died last year I was rolling 2.0 for a while and bass was still pretty good but my speakers are over a foot from the wall behind which a lot of people wouldn’t/couldn’t pull off. Either way a pair of decent bookshelves can put out much better low end than a plastic soundbar sub. I didn’t suggest one because the cheapest one I’d buy is $400 so a grand budget made it impractical. Also a sub requires positioning, tweaking, etc. that’s not super beginner friendly.

Since modern mixing means pretty much everything except sound effects and some music goes through the center I haven’t missed having one wrt dialog. Having my L/R at the right height seems to help a ton, in my current system I’d say the stands helped the sound as much as new speakers [these, which I love]. For many home systems a center channel is at the wrong height anyway since the screen is blocking the ideal position.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

qirex posted:

How to get Atmos/DTS to something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MikusR posted:

How to get Atmos/DTS to something like that?
You don’t. Or you could get a less powerful surround receiver for around the same price and add speakers later. I’m pretty strongly of the opinion that home Atmos is a waste, especially in a living room [as opposed to a dedicated theater room] and double especially out of a soundbar. If you’re spending under several grand you’re better off getting fewer, better speakers which makes everything sound good as opposed to just a fraction of movies and games.