Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Aside from graphics and Yuffie stuff, any other changes? I've heard the dress selection option changed from 'mature' to 'refined', and there are some small cutscene changes I couldn't confirm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CottonWolf posted:

INTERmission Chapter 1 spoilers/FFVIIR ending spoilers The crisp packet the cat is playing with in areas where you fight the Doomrats in the main game is the same as the one that flashes up after Zack survives at the end of Remake, right? Essentially confirming that INTERmission is taking place in the Zack lives timeline? Regardless of whether that's the same as the Remake one.

Honestly that's probably just a case of asset reuse, I wouldn't look anything into it one way or another.

Anyway did they release a day 0 patch to up the difficulty of Fort Condor or something, I'm using a guide for the grandmaster hard mode and I'm seeing them take on multiple units with like basic grenadiers, whereas some of my best are getting torn apart. It's frustrating as hell and I'm really not liking this hard mode version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VagueRant posted:

Aside from graphics and Yuffie stuff, any other changes? I've heard the dress selection option changed from 'mature' to 'refined', and there are some small cutscene changes I couldn't confirm...

There's a new optional boss in the main game, that's all I know of

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Honestly that's probably just a case of asset reuse, I wouldn't look anything into it one way or another.

Anyway did they release a day 0 patch to up the difficulty of Fort Condor or something, I'm using a guide for the grandmaster hard mode and I'm seeing them take on multiple units with like basic grenadiers, whereas some of my best are getting torn apart. It's frustrating as hell and I'm really not liking this hard mode version.

I blazed through fort condor on hard with 1 single build.
Grandmasterboard
guard dog and all 2 star units (riot trooper!)

hard mode is all about rushing the hq. Timeout = you lose

So the strat is, set guard dogs loose and set 2 star units and use spells to kill hq. (Middle bird)
Keep spamming units near the guard dog and set as many guard dogs as possible.

Beat every single opponent 1st try in hard mode.

Finished the whole yuffie dlc in hard mode and beat the secret boss. All thats left is to beat Weiss in base game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Morpheus posted:

That's probably true. I just think that confirming it via cat would be both extremely funny and very Remake.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sefal posted:

Grandmasterboard

So the strat is, set guard dogs loose and set 2 star units and use spells to kill hq. (Middle bird)

Finished the whole yuffie dlc in hard mode and beat the secret boss. All thats left is to beat Weiss in base game.

That's exactly what I'd did. Not very enjoyable, just feels like I exploited a system rather than played a game.

Hard mode in general is something I don't think the ff7 remake does well. The removal of item use is irritating, since it feels so haphazardly done. There are still items you can pick up, which you can use, items you can buy that are worthless, and the option to use items still on the menu for no reason. It makes things feel more like an endurance match in the worst way, and there isn't even anything interesting to show for it, like a new cutscene, new material to find (everything found before is just replaced with healing materia which is useless), it's just...eh. Give me new encounter setups, give me unqiue treasures, literally anything.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

They're porting it to NGage.

Tesla got Cyberpunk 2077 running in one of their cars so nothing is off the table.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MH Knights posted:

Tesla got Cyberpunk 2077 running in one of their cars so nothing is off the table.

Probably runs better than the base Xbox version.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Morpheus posted:

That's exactly what I'd did. Not very enjoyable, just feels like I exploited a system rather than played a game.

Hard mode in general is something I don't think the ff7 remake does well. The removal of item use is irritating, since it feels so haphazardly done. There are still items you can pick up, which you can use, items you can buy that are worthless, and the option to use items still on the menu for no reason. It makes things feel more like an endurance match in the worst way, and there isn't even anything interesting to show for it, like a new cutscene, new material to find (everything found before is just replaced with healing materia which is useless), it's just...eh. Give me new encounter setups, give me unqiue treasures, literally anything.

I thought doing hard mode meant you get some level up materials that you can't get any other way?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

I thought doing hard mode meant you get some level up materials that you can't get any other way?

There are skill books you can only get on hard.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Only had a chance to play it for about 15 mins but wow Yuffie feels good to play as. Also the moogle hoodie is super dope and should be in all the sequels

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my loving god (chapter 2 mini-game) these loving boxes god loving drat i hate you boxes

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Sefal posted:

Grandmasterboard

But what about the boxes?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Arkage posted:

But what about the boxes?

The soldier course?
the red and blue boxes just mash triangle, throw and retrieve. The blue ones take 2 hits. the red ones just 1. For the big white boxes, use throw and then do windstorm. this will instantly destroy them or just need 1 more attack. use banishement in the final room with all the white boxes in the middle.
you need to destroy every single box in the soldier course to get 50.000 points. but with a couple of tries, youll figure out the optimal route.

Weiss was a pretty hard boss. but really fun. Wish there was more like this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lol a couple of tries get the gently caress out of here. You spend more time fighting whatever hosed up lock on this game has going than juggling throw / ranged attacks.

I finally got it after an hour I think but holy poo poo that was not fun

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Yuffie DLC was amazing and has made me fall in love with the character, where in original I didn't care as much because she was just an optional character. Finished it just now, and I want to play through it again.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would buy a CD that's just all the Happy Turtle songs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The Yuffie DLC was amazing and has made me fall in love with the character, where in original I didn't care as much because she was just an optional character. Finished it just now, and I want to play through it again.

I liked Yuffie in the original but the DLC really does a good job of driving home her personality in both positive and negative ways. She is at once a self-centered overconfident dork and a PTSD-ridden survivor of a war that ruined her country during her childhood who will absolutely spring into action to help someone in need if she sees the chance, and it works well in both ways.

I am also amused that because Remake specifically made sure both Crisis Core and Before Crisis are canon (including Yuffie mentioning it) that she is almost certainly the most experienced member of the original crew when it comes to actual wars and combat.

I also enjoy that non-Barret Avalanche are basically like "Hey uh this corporation sucks but we're looking for climate change denial to stop, equal wages and fair respect, not to kill people" and Shinra's response is to literally drop a plate on them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

For the boxes, here's a tip that got me through it after a ton of failing: equip some first-srrike materia before going in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I so like Yuffie as a character in this though. She's barely had a space in other ff7 media, so having a good half dozen hours or so of just her is a great way to flesh her out a lot more as a character before she's introduced in presumably chapter 2.

I wonder if they plan to do any other dlc.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If Zack runs into Yuffie in the sequels he better spank her bottom for putting me him through those side missions in Crisis Core, none of those materia were good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Gologle posted:

If Zack runs into Yuffie in the sequels he better spank her bottom for putting me him through those side missions in Crisis Core, none of those materia were good.

Think you can find material online with that.

Edit: don't think it's canon

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I would buy a CD that's just all the Happy Turtle songs

:emptyquote:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Morpheus posted:

:hmmyes:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Morpheus posted:

Think you can find material online with that.

It’s not canon yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

I am also amused that because Remake specifically made sure both Crisis Core and Before Crisis are canon (including Yuffie mentioning it) that she is almost certainly the most experienced member of the original crew when it comes to actual wars and combat.

She was designed to be a SOLDIER originally, as I recall. Maybe that was leftover in her character backstory even after she was changed.

ImpAtom posted:

I also enjoy that non-Barret Avalanche are basically like "Hey uh this corporation sucks but we're looking for climate change denial to stop, equal wages and fair respect, not to kill people" and Shinra's response is to literally drop a plate on them.

*insert satirical one-liner about real life corporations*

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cissnei playable in 7R when

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That would actually be dope, I think she's the only new CC char I liked

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am a Ninja Master

(This has taken 1/4 of my playthrough so far lol)

I did like 20 runs before noticing the boxes directly beside you at the start lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finished the DLC (on normal). Real good and fun fights throughout. Hell of a downer ending. Fort condor was short and sweet. The main crew’s scenes at the end was cute. CHOCOBO BILL!!! Oh poo poo Zack too. Episode 2 is going to own so much with all of this.

On to hard and the new VR stuff. I had the combat really click with me halfway through chapter 2 and man I really just want tons more of it. It’s so good.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I did like 20 runs before noticing the boxes directly beside you at the start lol

:same:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What chapter do I want to hit the VR missions in the main game?

Never mind I found it’s not Chadley it’s the room behind him

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 13, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Speaking of Yuffie and OG FF7, I love how, during the boat ride from Junon, her reaction to hearing that Sephiroth is in the hold slaughtering Shinra troops is to tell Cloud that she wants to sit this one out and freaking out if you do put her in the party.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Just finished the rest of the trophies except for the one where the extra boss is put in the main game. Debating if I want to boot up the main game and finish my Hard playthrough....probably would do it on the PS4 version then transfer the save over to avoid weird lopsided trophy list shenanigans.

Like, weird that it's not a ps4/ps5 combined list, but two separate ones.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

CottonWolf posted:

INTERmission Chapter 1 spoilers/FFVIIR ending spoilers The crisp packet the cat is playing with in areas where you fight the Doomrats in the main game is the same as the one that flashes up after Zack survives at the end of Remake, right? Essentially confirming that INTERmission is taking place in the Zack lives timeline? Regardless of whether that's the same as the Remake one.

People have already brought up asset reuse as a likely answer to this, but also during the Happy Turtle sidequest in Sector 7 you can come across a class of kids being read a story about Stamp, along with pictures. The Stamp that appears in pictures is the same one from the main game of Remake (that is, the one with the little helmet, not the one on the chips) which is from my perspective is evidence that Yuffie and Zack are not in the same continuity.

Furthermore, this DLC whips rear end and Yuffie rules.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A very small thing, but I thought the cry of anguish that Yuffie lets out at the end of the DLC was really well acted, it didn't seem like the usual hokey voice acting I was expecting.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Requiring an absolutely flawless run on the boxes is really, really obnoxious. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do to consistently kill the 1500 box at at the end of the walkway, or get AP to regen fast enough to not leave me with dead time or waste 10 seconds back tracking to a box I left behind because I didn't have AP for it earlier.

I loving hate having to look up YouTube videos for "correct" solutions to puzzles but Christ this is stupid.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I had the skill master materia equipped and that helped smooth out ATB

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The main thing to know about the boxes is that throwing the weapon + windstorm does A TON of damage and is the main way to deal with the 1500 boxes. Red and blue you deal with melee and rangdled accordingly to build your ATB so you can windstorm the big boxes.

It still takes like a drat perfect run to actually get everything. It’s annoying as hell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of Yuffie and OG FF7, I love how, during the boat ride from Junon, her reaction to hearing that Sephiroth is in the hold slaughtering Shinra troops is to tell Cloud that she wants to sit this one out and freaking out if you do put her in the party.

Gonna say this makes a lot more sense now

Man that DLC was fantastic. 10 hours to complete on normal, poking around every area and taking the time to finish the box challenge.

It is a great self-contained story, really develops Yuffie's character, and has me looking forward to what the Remake will do with the Wutai plot. the credits stinger had me smiling the whole way through, it was like catching up with friends after having not seen them for a year