Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Yup, they are just chiles, not salsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hydrocarbonenema
Mar 4, 2017

Fun Shoe
Tower fans are 24.99 shipped which is a good deal. I bought two.

May I also recommend the timber ridge directors chairs, 80 for a set of 2 shipped. These are 70 dollars for just one on Amazon.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that’s why I am getting another tower fan. I didn’t realize how dusty it was and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out a good way to clean it. The grates at the back should be removable IMO

Best method I've found so far for cleaning tower fans:

Bring fan outside and plug in. Get condensed air cans and face fan away from you. Stick straw in holes and keep spraying while the fan is on high. Keep going into different holes at different heights and different angles.

If you want to do more effort than this, grab a bundle of q-tips and just go into all the vents they'll fit. Keep the fan on high and just keep spraying and sweeping.

I'll do this once a year. Tower fans don't last forever, so if this is too much effort, $20 is the right price for replacing.

Side note- all my 3 tower fans are Costco purchased, and are all at least 4+ years old and going strong in yearly 100'F+ Summers.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Geodude posted:

Bring fan outside and plug in. Get condensed air cans and face fan away from you. Stick straw in holes and keep spraying while the fan is on high. Keep going into different holes at different heights and different angles.

Yeah that's the way to go, though I switched from compressed air cans for that and PC dusting years ago due to cost, waste, and most of them using HFCs as the propellant.

https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer-Replacement/dp/B00V8S9XU6/

Or something similar

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So what's the best vacuum sealer Costco offers?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

So what's the best vacuum sealer Costco offers?
https://www.costco.com/weston-pro-1100-vacuum-sealer-with-roll-cutter.product.100655658.html

If you mean it you want that one. For normal use literally any FoodSaver you see on the shelf is a good buy.

But no seriously that Weston Pro whips rear end.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I asked my wife if we needed a tower fan and now we have a tower fan.

They had window fans last time and I didn't buy one because we had one. Turns out the one we had broke and I tossed it last year and now they are sold out. Sad!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Geodude posted:

If you want to do more effort than this, grab a bundle of q-tips and just go into all the vents they'll fit. Keep the fan on high and just keep spraying and sweeping.

I'll do this once a year. Tower fans don't last forever, so if this is too much effort, $20 is the right price for replacing.

Side note- all my 3 tower fans are Costco purchased, and are all at least 4+ years old and going strong in yearly 100'F+ Summers.

Great advice! Ive already ordered the new one so this one is done for (it kinda squeaks anyway). I’ll keep this in mind when the summer is over and I put the fan away again.

Like I said though the one I currently have is 6 years old so I definitely got my monies worth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Does anyone have any experience on the Braun Series 9 vs the Norelco 9900? It'd mostly just be for clean shaving facial hair, maybe trimming certain other bodily hair. I've got a similar-to-braun Panasonic but it's pretty old, probably worn, and it doesn't really get all the chin-neck hair region leaving a ton of scraggly hairs there, or that close anymore.

https://www.costco.com/braun-series-9-shaver-with-clean-and-charge-system.product.100735848.html
https://www.costco.com/philips-norelco-9900-pro-shaver.product.100512100.html

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xaris posted:

Does anyone have any experience on the Braun Series 9 vs the Norelco 9900? It'd mostly just be for clean shaving facial hair, maybe trimming certain other bodily hair. I've got a similar-to-braun Panasonic but it's pretty old, probably worn, and it doesn't really get all the chin-neck hair region leaving a ton of scraggly hairs there, or that close anymore.

https://www.costco.com/braun-series-9-shaver-with-clean-and-charge-system.product.100735848.html
https://www.costco.com/philips-norelc o-9900-pro-shaver.product.100512100.html

I dunno if maybe they suck or something, but I've been looking at NY Times Wirecutter for reviews on stuff like this that consumer reports may not necessarily cover that well.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-electric-razor/

They really review the 9300 but I think they basically say the Norelco 9000s operate pretty similar to each other.

I ended up buying that cheap rear end Budget Pick Remington lol.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Slightly different but I bought a 7000 series Philips/norelco beard trimmer a while back and it had wear parts that weren't considered replaceable units. It fell apart after less than 5 battery cycles.

Replaced it with a much cheaper Wahl that has a similar part break but Wahl actually sell a replacement *at retail* for $15 and the replacement part has been going strong since as it's the part for a much higher end trimmer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fizzymercury posted:

https://www.costco.com/weston-pro-1100-vacuum-sealer-with-roll-cutter.product.100655658.html

If you mean it you want that one. For normal use literally any FoodSaver you see on the shelf is a good buy.

But no seriously that Weston Pro whips rear end.

:hmmyes:

I'll probably start with the FoodSaver, but maybe once I get my chest freezer and really figure out my food situation I'll upgrade to the Weston Pro :getin: Thanks!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I used a Braun series 9 and likes it fine. Switched to wet shaving with DE blades though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I had a Braun with a cleaning unit for a long time and switched to a Panasonic. The cleaning unit was very finicky and it kept flaking out and resetting the cleaning cycle toward the end. I think the charger eventually died on the Braun.

Braun intentionally goes with a thicker foil so that it lasts longer, but the trade off is that it can’t cut as close. The Panasonic does slightly better I think, although the build quality is substantially worse (hairs get snagged in the gaps around the foil, which is annoying). I don’t miss the cleaning unit.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
For fans once you get a DC powered one you'll never go back!

For shavers, I've tried the high end Braun, Norelco, and Panasonic. Norelco was my favorite probably but somehow fried the inside when I charged the battery so I sent it back and they sent me a replacement which did the same thing eventually so I gave up on the brand. Braun gave an average but reliable shave and after many years the foil eventually just broke so I replaced it with a Panasonic Arc 5 which has been going strong ever since, I also want to say it gives the closest shave of the ones I used, also the cleaning unit refills are much cheaper since they're just detergent packets you mix with water. It does an average job on neck hair but I've found they all did that and I always required to use the trimmer to clean that off.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

norp posted:

Slightly different but I bought a 7000 series Philips/norelco beard trimmer a while back and it had wear parts that weren't considered replaceable units. It fell apart after less than 5 battery cycles.

Replaced it with a much cheaper Wahl that has a similar part break but Wahl actually sell a replacement *at retail* for $15 and the replacement part has been going strong since as it's the part for a much higher end trimmer.

I got a Wahl last year and I have charged it exactly once

The battery life on that poo poo is insane!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

low key sex master posted:

I got a Wahl last year and I have charged it exactly once

The battery life on that poo poo is insane!

Which Wahl one, the 5-star series?? Maybe I'll the get Wahl. $150 for either the Braun Series 9 or Norelco 9900 is a bit much and although I'm good to pay for high-quality-lifelong durable goods, I'm not sure I have faith that they'll actually be that good or long-lasting.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Another point in Wahl's favor is that I have a ~20yo set of head clippers that I've never had to service. They shaved my head many many many times and are still basically brand new

Granted they don't make many models in the US anymore like they did back then

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

KakerMix posted:

Dunno, but nothing beats the metal box fans from the 60s-80s.

Nothing.

It's the blade shape. These modern pointy blades are lame.

https://images.thdstatic.com/productImages/575fef9a-9972-4889-b36f-2f08fe123a98/svn/white-lasko-box-fans-b20201-64_1000.jpg

I keep my eyes peeled for old box fans at garage sales. I repaired mine a few times but it eventually gave up the ghost.

Box fans are great for windows, but commercial grade fans really get the air moving. I picked up a broken Dayton and repaired it and the thing is an absolute beast. It doesn't move as much air as a box fan but it's much higher velocity air. Great for projecting a blast from a distance. Usually keep it in the garage pointed at my work space.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/2LY89_AS01?hei=536&wid=536

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I tried getting a tower fan and some Kirkland seltzer, my location was out of both. I did get the pack of frozen cauliflower pizzas that are on sale, easy gluten-free go to dinner.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

My church has not had Kirkland seltzer in months and I think the MOD guarding the pickup room has started to recognize me because I ask about it every time

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Virigoth posted:

My church has not had Kirkland seltzer in months and I think the MOD guarding the pickup room has started to recognize me because I ask about it every time

I asked one person and he said they expected some in soon because there is supposed to be some Father's Day promo involving it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Are you guys talking about sparkling water or hard seltzer?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i only bought the jar of 505 for the first time like a month ago and i'm mad at myself never picking up before. i think my favorite application is in scrambled eggs, but it's also great with any sort of mexican dish.

i impulse bought kirkland signature sous vide pork belly yesterday because i've never seen it and i'm looking for ideas about how to use it. off the top of my head i'm thinking tacos and ramen (not at the same time)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Suxpool posted:

i impulse bought kirkland signature sous vide pork belly yesterday because i've never seen it and i'm looking for ideas about how to use it. off the top of my head i'm thinking tacos and ramen (not at the same time)

Lazy pork belly burnt ends. Extra bonus lazy points if you just use a really smokey sauce and do it in the oven or something. Also, toss the pork belly in some beans, whatever kind or recipe

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A quick, easy, healthy, and delicious meal is doing a sweet potato bar by chopping up a cooked sweet potato and topping it with cotija/queso fresco, sliced green onions, cilantro, sour cream, and a bunch of the 505 green chiles. I also like to cook some chicken sausages from Aldi and throw those in there to make it extra satisfying...one of the best applications I've found for the 505 stuff yet.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Just found out yesterday my local Church has the tables back in the food court. My niece likes me to drive her to her orthodontist appointments because we can go grab a dog and slice afterward. Last time was during COVID restrictions so we had to get our lunch to go and take it over to my mom's since she lives nearby. Just wasn't the same.

Getting the full communion experience tomorrow. PBUC!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Midniter posted:

A quick, easy, healthy, and delicious meal is doing a sweet potato bar by chopping up a cooked sweet potato and topping it with cotija/queso fresco, sliced green onions, cilantro, sour cream, and a bunch of the 505 green chiles. I also like to cook some chicken sausages from Aldi and throw those in there to make it extra satisfying...one of the best applications I've found for the 505 stuff yet.

:yum: that sounds delicious, def gonna pick up some of these mythical 505s on my next trip

Cilantro is easy to grow, isn't it? :getin:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Johnny Truant posted:

:yum: that sounds delicious, def gonna pick up some of these mythical 505s on my next trip

Cilantro is easy to grow, isn't it? :getin:

It's even easier to buy, at 50 cents a bundle for more than you can use in a week. I've got some cilantro growing in some window planters indoors and it isn't doing too great.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Side note to my goon friends

Even though it's a pain in the rear end cilantro is one of the most important edible plants to not skip washing if you don't grow it yourself.
Cilantro and romaine

I love cilantro and if you give it a thorough rinsing and then put it in a glass of water in the fridge stems down and loosely cover it with an open baggie on it it will keep for about 5 days. From that glass you can just rip off handfuls and add fresh cilantro to everything. Then it's no longer a pain in the rear end at all :)

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i wonder what a bunch of cilantro would look like if costco sold it

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Probably like the time the grocery pickup person confused three bunches of cilantro for three pounds, and I had more cilantro than I knew what to do with. Three pounds is a lot of cilantro.

The answer was to make a fuckload of chimichurri

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

best application for the 505 is on anything/everything

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fashionably Great posted:

Probably like the time the grocery pickup person confused three bunches of cilantro for three pounds, and I had more cilantro than I knew what to do with. Three pounds is a lot of cilantro.

The answer was to make a fuckload of chimichurri

Make rice + anything curry-like and dump a half cup of cilantro on each serving. Add lime if you're feeling fancy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

why the gently caress is choice flap meat 15.99 a pound costco you price gouging bastards

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Beef prices have gone up a ton due to a combination of stuff including cyberattacks of all things.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I DONT LIKE IT

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you had some in your Chest freezer you wouldn't be in this mess would you?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

i will murder you in your sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

You know a good way to conceal the body afterwards? Big ol chest freezer.