Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Gathering that went against public health orders and failing to self-isolate after arriving in the province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The dumb motherfucker posted a video of himself getting arrested thinking it makes him a hero or something.

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1403442934037495815

glad he recognizes his words are a weapon that can get people hurt

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Glad that fascist oval office is arrested. gently caress off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

The dumb motherfucker posted a video of himself getting arrested thinking it makes him a hero or something.

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1403442934037495815

glad he recognizes his words are a weapon that can get people hurt

I'm disappointed, that's such a lack of a show compared with our local street preacher shrieking "why don't you shoot me, like a real Nazi?" and then being carried bodily to the cruiser.

Still fun to watch though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hes got nothing on the guy in Grand Prairie who got arrested by the RCMP the other month.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What did he do? Do you get arrested for ignoring COVID poo poo?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

What did he do? Do you get arrested for ignoring COVID poo poo?

you can if you keep willfully ignoring the police fining you, which is what Bernier was doing. He got fined earlier in the week for organizing rallies, so this time he couldn't plead ignorance and they went straight to arresting him. Dude hosed around and found out.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

He’s likely already out and will attend a court date in 2 years where a judge frowns in a disapproving manner before letting him off Scott free

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Lmao

It's only Twitter obviously, but it's really satisfying seeing every Manitoba PC of note get ratioed on almost all their tweets.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Noblesse Obliged posted:

He’s likely already out and will attend a court date in 2 years where a judge frowns in a disapproving manner before letting him off Scott free

May as well not doing anything at all.

Why are types like you always coming in - "well nothing matters so gently caress"

Let people revel in this - something was done. Fucker got arrested. Good enough. We don't expect him to rot behind bars.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Sorry. I shouldn’t be a negative ninny.

Maybe they’ll put him in gen pop

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the funny thing is how the cop asks him if he has weapons and he's like "only my words and my mind" get the gently caress out of here you're not nelson mandela you're whining about how you had to wear a mask for a year and a half to protect other people, grow the gently caress up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Arivia posted:

the funny thing is how the cop asks him if he has weapons and he's like "only my words and my mind" get the gently caress out of here you're not nelson mandela you're whining about how you had to wear a mask for a year and a half to protect other people, grow the gently caress up

this just reeks of high school libertarianism (which is all libertarianism really)

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I believe Super Geniuses are forced to register their brains as Deadly Weapons, if he defeats someone in verbal combat he could go to jail (again)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Arivia posted:

the funny thing is how the cop asks him if he has weapons and he's like "only my words and my mind"

funnily enough there's nothing more dull than a person who says smarmy poo poo like this

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Noblesse Obliged posted:

that's generous. a stern look and talking to from crown counsel while the charges get withdrawn 'for now'... dun dun dun...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

boo boo bear posted:

that's generous. a stern look and talking to from crown counsel while the charges get withdrawn 'for now'... dun dun dun...

Scotting is a pretty harsh penalty, I don't know if Bernier deserves his name being changed to "Scott Scott Scott", marking him forever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Heck yeah got my first shot, arm sore, I can feel the 5G nanomachines working.

Arivia posted:

A Cop, if only: HE'S GOT A WEAPON!!!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I’m a pasty rear end white guy and I can’t imagine answering in any sort of affirmative to that question from a cop. What a smug, privileged rear end in a top hat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Ontario is now in phase 1. From the sound of things from my friends still in retail those mom and pop small businesses that Ford loves to tout as the backbone of our economy are still closed unless they have a street accessible storefront. I may roll my eyes at the mom and pop excuse politicians spout at every turn to justify their nonsense but it does suck for them when the chain stores that Dougie is beholden to get a major advantage over independent stores. I just wish more store owners realized that that government is not their friend.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I'm trying to think of situations where there's independent stores that don't have a street-accessible storefront. It's basically malls, which are 99% chain stores in any mall I can think of.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Won't someone think of the dead mall nail salons?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/AndersenAngus/status/1403671144197206016

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

As far as I know there’s no “new” bodies found here but rather people are trying to recognize the fact that 20 years ago the city sold the old residential school land to some rear end in a top hat that paved over everything with a RV park and conveniently everyone forgot about the part of deal where they said they would look for bodies before turning up the land and the plague marking the school was removed.

Brandon University and Sioux Valley First Nation were working together to get the land back and figure out where the school and the graves are but I don’t see any new information being reported on right now.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

DariusLikewise posted:

As far as I know there’s no “new” bodies found here but rather people are trying to recognize the fact that 20 years ago the city sold the old residential school land to some rear end in a top hat that paved over everything with a RV park and conveniently everyone forgot about the part of deal where they said they would look for bodies before turning up the land and the plague marking the school was removed.

Brandon University and Sioux Valley First Nation were working together to get the land back and figure out where the school and the graves are but I don’t see any new information being reported on right now.

This past week I remember listening to an interview on As It Happens on CBC Radio about that. A descendant of a school survivor recalled her experience. Before the sale it was a site of remembrance and mourning. Visits to the site were fairly regular and it was maintained by the survivors, so they can't really use the excuse "Well, we had no idea what it was about. We bought the land from such-and-such and they never said anything about it!" This sort of blatant blindness to the school system is incredibly disappointing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

APTN says that 78 were accounted for in records, but there's evidence of more graves:

https://twitter.com/APTNNews/status/1403508250855813123?s=20

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

So enough digging and I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 1000 around the country.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Wistful of Dollars posted:

So enough digging and I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 1000 around the country.

If memory serves, the number estimated out of the Truth and Reconciliation hearings was between 4,000-6,000.

e: This report says 3,200 http://www.trc.ca/assets/pdf/Volume_4_Missing_Children_English_Web.pdf

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 13, 2021

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Another Bill posted:

If memory serves, the number estimated out of the Truth and Reconciliation hearings was between 4,000-6,000.

e: This report says 3,200 http://www.trc.ca/assets/pdf/Volume_4_Missing_Children_English_Web.pdf

If people are upset now, it's going to be a doozy when we actually actively go looking on all these schools' lands. I am totally down for replacing Canada Day with some sort of National Day of Shame. That's basically what Canada Day is for me already.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...WaMWbSFd7cU4dPo

quote:

Mr. Hawtin said Core’s rental units will provide affordable housing for families and residents who do not want to live in small apartments. If Core succeeds, it could spur major investors to follow suit.

Sure, corporate level renting of house will bring affordable housing. How could we even doubt that?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

cool I love investors buying all the housing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZeeBoi posted:

cool I love investors buying all the housing

Have you tried having rich parents?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have you tried having rich parents?

I'm personally shopping for a second set of boot straps.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

supersnowman posted:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...WaMWbSFd7cU4dPo

Sure, corporate level renting of house will bring affordable housing. How could we even doubt that?

quote:

So far this year, Core has spent $50-million on 75 properties, the executives said. Their two-bedroom basement apartments go for about $1,600 a month and a three-bedroom above-ground unit at about $2,100 a month

"affordable"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

flakeloaf posted:

"affordable"

You keep on using that word

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

*NIMBYs prevent any and all redevelopment of low density Single Family Home areas*
*Housing shortage results in near zero vacancy and spiking rents*
*Giant corporations buy SFHs to exploit high rents*

We can't build apartments in SFH areas tho because developers will profit.

I guess we'll just do nothing and suffer.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A monthly welfare payment in Ontario is in the $700 range, and ODSP tops out somewhere in the $2500s for double-disabled families with kids and ongoing needs for supplies.

Meanwhile, the Market Basket Measure* for the NCR is $48000.

(*A poverty metric that I definitely knew about before today and did not have to discover via google)

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I really can't imagine corporations adequately maintaining thousands of sfh's. This feels like something that will either take down the corporations or we will end up with slums filled with dilapidated houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Both.