Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Leng posted:

Hey thread, so this is a kind of random bike commuting question: I self-publish children's picture books (for ages 2-6) and I asked my daughter (she's 4) last night what the next book should be about. She said "riding my bike" because we do a lot of family cycling. It surprised me, but her idea is great, because the default representation of daily transportation modes in kids books is getting into a car and driving places, or train or bus.

I've got some ideas already but I would be curious to see what you guys would want to see in a kids' book about bike commuting!

What about one about the all the bugs that hitch a ride with me when I go from point A to point B? At least those that don't get eaten anyway.

learnincurve posted:

The child immediately zooming off into the distance while the parents try to catch up, which is 100% a thing.

If it’s a modern book how about a page on the journey from bike seat, to bike trailer, to own bike? Working in a tandem or rickshaw to show the different shapes bikes come in would be fun as well

This is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think people are aiming for a little higher age group here, less morality and lesson learning more fun for the little ‘uns.

Many moons ago my 3 year old once spent an hour reading me a book about a dog called biff stealing a sausage for example. That was it, the dog stole a sausage.

The illustrator in children’s books takes most of the load.

Edit: for example (as the OP will be more than aware :) ) you don’t need to tell kids to wear a helmet in the book. If everyone is wearing a helmet then they pick up on that and the parent can check and say “what are they all wearing?”

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 8, 2021

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Way behind in this discussion but we have a cargo bike and the kids love it. One thing we do is take the path along the river bank and wave to all the animals we see. Dogs, cats, horses, cows, birds, occasionally seals in the river. Our daughter always tries to spot the moon if it happens to be up during the day.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Wow, thanks everyone! Looking through all of the posts, I think there's enough ideas here for at least 2, probably 3 books about bike commuting. Welp, that means I'm doing this as a separate bikes are cool series!

learnincurve posted:

The child immediately zooming off into the distance while the parents try to catch up, which is 100% a thing.

If it’s a modern book how about a page on the journey from bike seat, to bike trailer, to own bike? Working in a tandem or rickshaw to show the different shapes bikes come in would be fun as well

Safety Dance posted:

I was thinking something along the lines of different bikes and the people you see using them day-to-day

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Way behind in this discussion but we have a cargo bike and the kids love it.

CopperHound posted:

Maybe some reference to a bike bus/train instead of carpooling. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bike_bus

:):hf::) This is where my head was at. I was tossing up between doing the transition from bike seat to balance bike to pedal bike (probably your more standard growing up narrative), or looking for the perfect bike (whereupon the kid would go and try all of these different bikes and find the right one for them), which would then showcase all of the different kinds of bike and bike commuting experiences.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think a kid would be interested in all the things you see and experience during a bike ride that you don't during a car ride. Like nodding at another cyclist, stopping for some geese in the path, meeting people at an intersection, hurrying to beat the rain, etc.

One thing we do is take the path along the river bank and wave to all the animals we see. Dogs, cats, horses, cows, birds, occasionally seals in the river. Our daughter always tries to spot the moon if it happens to be up during the day.

kimbo305 posted:

Some reassurance or guidance about cycling in traffic / feeling more exposed to cars?

learnincurve posted:

You could add Drama! and realty by having to ride really fast past the hissy geese before they chase you but phew! We were too fast for them.

BonHair posted:

If you do this, be sure to include the old lady on the e-bike going 45kmph.

Also maybe cover giving signals to others, like hold arm out for turn, up for turn. And looking over your shoulder. Could do some fun accident drawings of a bunch of bikes crashing into the moron in front who forgot to signal.

BonHair posted:

Knowing your co rider idiot types isn't all that bad an idea honestly. Like "guy who drives super slow but still must be in front of the line at a red light". I hate that guy, partly because he goes much slower and gets there as fast as I do. Just be sure to make it about idiot behaviour instead of stereotypes. But don't be afraid to make "guy who must use the left lane at all times" either British or a middle aged man either.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What about one about the all the bugs that hitch a ride with me when I go from point A to point B? At least those that don't get eaten anyway.

sat on my keys! posted:

Stopping on the way home to get flowers for someone special then riding carefully the rest of the way and running into another bike commuting friend and racing each other over a bridge.

I really wanted to do a book where it was about showing how cool and fun bike commuting is, but I didn't want to be all moralistic and preachy about it. These are all fantastic ways to go about it!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You gotta include at least one sick jump to make it realistic

This sounds like the ending page to a story where the kid starts off being scared of riding their bike!

learnincurve posted:

The illustrator in children’s books takes most of the load.

In all likelihood, this is also going to be me. :ohdear: My illustration skills are going to dictate which of these ideas I start with first, and the bike shopping one is probably the easiest to illustrate! Though I am tempted to start with the transition from bike seat to balance bike, because my daughter starts school next year so I'd really like her to start commuting to daycare on her balance bike in hopes that next year, we can keep the same routine with going to school, and THEN when she's ready for it, she can graduate to a pedal bike and we can ride to school together.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thinking about the flora/fauna discovery idea, with a bit of research you could definitely do showcases of different environments around the world. What one sees in the Americas, isn't the same as in Europe, as in Africa, Asia, or Australia, let alone the variation within those continents themselves. Alternatively, it could mini sight seeing tours in the great cities of the world. I don't bike in Paris much because the culture here sort of sucks, but it is cool to ride next to Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, and the myriad of other landmarks around here.

If we're talking cliché cyclists, I'd be the sort in casual sportswear singing loudly along to small speaker as I zoom along. I obviously stop for pedestrians which baffles them to no end.

Looking forward to the final product at any rate.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my step dad taught me how to ride by telling me that when you take your training wheels off, you and your bike actually stay in place and you spin the world beneath your wheels. made me feel powerful for the first time in my life and took all the fear out of the experience.

you can use that if you want

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

God Hole posted:

my step dad taught me how to ride by telling me that when you take your training wheels off, you and your bike actually stay in place and you spin the world beneath your wheels. made me feel powerful for the first time in my life and took all the fear out of the experience.

I love this

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
My wife got her road to work improved. Before, you had to turn off the main road into a residential area, with narrow streets, tired people leaving their driveways, hedges, and children.
Now, it's separate from the cars, clearly signed, and when it crosses roads they have stop signs and it's elevated like a speedbump, so some cars even stop!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Phosphine posted:

My wife got her road to work improved. Before, you had to turn off the main road into a residential area, with narrow streets, tired people leaving their driveways, hedges, and children.
Now, it's separate from the cars, clearly signed, and when it crosses roads they have stop signs and it's elevated like a speedbump, so some cars even stop!

"Some".

But seriously that's great.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Motorists are pretty good around here. The idea of cyclists ever having right of way when crossing a road isn't entirely accepted yet, but it's also pretty new. On pedestrian crossings, we have to walk, and on combo ped/bike ones we've allowed to ride, but yield to cars, who yield to pedestrians. The new crossing type, which is elevated and has special signs, means they should yield to us as well, and I barely knew this a year ago, so I'm not super surprised a lot of drivers don't either.

We're also not actively hated on by most drivers, and usually when sharing roads out in the countryside they pass sanely as well. Mostly.

Edit: "here" being a fairly large (for us) city in Sweden, where the city council actively encourages cycling, with proper measures. It's no Netherlands (I miss biking there), but it's pretty good.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 11, 2021

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I don't generally have to worry about aggressive drivers but my state allows cellphone use while driving because :911: so distracted driving is pretty common. This morning a jeep blew right through a red light in front of me as I crossed on green. 2 seconds later and I wouldn't be posting now.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
You know when you read or hear something that stops you in your tracks for a second and blows your mind a bit?

God Hole posted:

you and your bike actually stay in place and you spin the world beneath your wheels.

Whoa

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

sweat poteto posted:

but my state allows cellphone use while driving

:aaaaa:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

drat... and it's definitely an offense here, but that doesn't stop everyone from doing it constantly. I almost got run over by a motorcycle because he was looking at his phone and not his path which was the bikepath/sidewalk, which he shouldn't have been on in the first place.

I'm curious, does anyone here smoke and ride a bike? More and more people are on their bikes, with the nicer weather, and I see quite a few smokers on them, which is fine, but I can't imagine that makes it easy. I was never a regular smoker, but would smoke at a party every now and then, but when I began seriously running, I had to stop because my lungs just could not take the running with even that tiny bit of smoke. It's rather impressive, really.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

You know when you read or hear something that stops you in your tracks for a second and blows your mind a bit?

Whoa

if its something you keep track of, guarantee you're gonna PR your next ride

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm curious, does anyone here smoke and ride a bike? More and more people are on their bikes, with the nicer weather, and I see quite a few smokers on them, which is fine, but I can't imagine that makes it easy. I was never a regular smoker, but would smoke at a party every now and then, but when I began seriously running, I had to stop because my lungs just could not take the running with even that tiny bit of smoke. It's rather impressive, really.

my high school's residents stoner and star football player were pretty good friends.

one day i was driving by and saw the rail-thin stoner kid very nonchalantly pedaling his BMX bike up a steep incline towards town wearing lopsided ray bans and a lit cigarette hanging loosely from his mouth. behind him standing on the rear pegs and hands clasped tightly upon his shoulders was the football star, weighing in at about twice his size, his eyes fixed upon the horizon and what awaited them there.

i remember thinking "i should start smoking"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm curious, does anyone here smoke and ride a bike?
I used to, in the netherlands. I stopped and promptly buried the road-riding friends I'd been riding with. The difference in pulmonary fitness when you stop is absurd.

kimbo305 posted:

The GSD has been in the back of my mind for a while.
I skimmed Tern's catalog, and they don't seem to have non-powered variants for either the GSD or HSD, is that right?
I wonder if they did their market research and just know compact powered longtail is where they should stick.
Small wheels (folding) pedelecs are kind of their shtick, yeah.

Hadlock posted:

Can you post an updated photo of what your Bullitt looks like after...3? years? I haven't kept track, of almost daily use, I'm genuinely curious how these things hold up as a replacement for a family car under actual conditions. Glossy marketing photos aren't very Real
I cannot, because it's been sold: it got stolen and I bought a replacement with STEPS before the original got recovered. FYI I paid about 2800 euros for mine (3x10 XT with honeycomb board) and sold it for over half that after 6 years.

Things that sucked:
- needed new crank because some rear end in a top hat put one pedal on without enough anti-seize (rear end in a top hat was me AFAICR)
- canopy was a disaster of ripped windows and failed zippers. Do not buy the canopy.
- needed a new steering ball-joint (about 20 bucks?) because the original one wore out.
- steering (especially with fat tire in the front) could get wobbly at high speeds (>40kph) without the damper. The new bullitt is fine (up to ~60kph at least) even without the damper because it has a beefy, tapered steerer.
- powdercoat wore out a bit where my older kids stands with their mucky boots after a couple years.

Maintenance is basically 2x chains a year, brake bleed and pads 1x/year, and that's about it. Winter and summer tires last about 3 years (we do a few 1000k per year).

It has basically avoided us buying/insuring/filling/maintaining/parking a car, and instead we rent one a few times a year. The difference in expenses is *staggering*, and we could buy a new e-bullitt every other year for cost of keeping around a midsize wagon that wouldn't even be a fun drive.

I think that's about it.

Phosphine posted:

Edit: "here" being a fairly large (for us) city in Sweden, where the city council actively encourages cycling, with proper measures. It's no Netherlands (I miss biking there), but it's pretty good.
NL is the only country on earth that puts their money where their mouth is when it comes to ped/cyclist safety. Driving in most dutch cities is a total PITA, by design.

Phosphine posted:

Motorists are pretty good around here. The idea of cyclists ever having right of way when crossing a road isn't entirely accepted yet, but it's also pretty new. On pedestrian crossings, we have to walk, and on combo ped/bike ones we've allowed to ride, but yield to cars, who yield to pedestrians. The new crossing type, which is elevated and has special signs, means they should yield to us as well, and I barely knew this a year ago, so I'm not super surprised a lot of drivers don't either.
The "new crossing type" has existed for ages IIRC, it just isn't used because bike infra is mostly an afterthought in your neck of the woods. The local cyclists have made hopping of their bikes 2 meters before crossing a road (because you're then legally a pedestrian, and cars must yield to you) into a national sport of malicious compliance. I've never practiced cyclocross but I can dismout-remount at speed like i've got a crazed Belgian waving a cowbell at me.

God Hole posted:

That's some peyote-level mental imagery :love:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 12, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

drat... and it's definitely an offense here, but that doesn't stop everyone from doing it constantly. I almost got run over by a motorcycle because he was looking at his phone and not his path which was the bikepath/sidewalk, which he shouldn't have been on in the first place.

I'm not a smoker, but I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to smoke cigarettes on your bike. Easier than eating a piece of bread which I do sometimes at least. In my experience, people who smoke on their bikes are pretty slow in a seemingly lazy way, but I think that's more about demographics than anything.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
What are those little rings on the back of a Brooks B17 saddle for? Novelty license plate?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Skrill.exe posted:

What are those little rings on the back of a Brooks B17 saddle for? Novelty license plate?

A small bag for tools and whatnot.

Available in both modern designs and "painfully hipster".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In my younger days, even I always carried around stuff to fix a flat tire, those bags (and a pump that fit in the frame) would have made a lot of sense to me. Flat tires are a lot more uncommon today though, and with a bike shop on every corner, I just don't bother. If I was going on a biking vacation, I'd definitely pack it though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I used to smoke, gave up during lockdown and have found I go considerably quicker on the awesome eMTB I bought with the money I saved.

:smug:

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Seems like it would get in the way of my novelty license plate.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

evil_bunnY posted:

NL is the only country on earth that puts their money where their mouth is when it comes to ped/cyclist safety. Driving in most dutch is a total PITA, by design.

One things that's great about my town is that both the town center and any new (read: last 30 years) areas lack central roads. There are ring roads around the areas, with occasional roads into them, but no road going through, so there's very little traffic on the roads inside near houses. They also build tunnels under large roundabouts where you have to cross the large roads between areas, so generally you are very spared from traffic.

I'm moving to a suburb-ish this fall, and from our house I will be able to get on a bike path without touching a road, and get to work 6km away crossing only like three streets, none of which are large or heavily trafficked, because most traffic is diverted to the one big road, which I go under instead.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a pitifully small bag. The saddlebag can be, and has been for a long time, a serious gear-hauling apparatus.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The most recent episode of the War on Cars was focused on the lack of bike lanes in Lego City sets. The proposal in Lego Ideas is actually really neat!

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

SimonSays posted:

That's a pitifully small bag. The saddlebag can be, and has been for a long time, a serious gear-hauling apparatus.

Sackville Bagginses putting out good products these days.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SimonSays posted:

That's a lovely bag. I'm happy with my polyester dealies on the side for now but I can dream of being that fancy one day.

Cugel the Clever posted:

The most recent episode of the War on Cars was focused on the lack of bike lanes in Lego City sets. The proposal in Lego Ideas is actually really neat!

That's a great idea. Normalizing stuff like that is incredibly important.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Does any company make a bike that has an IGH, disc brakes, and a dyno hub?

I'm starting a new job soon and they have a scheme were I can get an interest-free 3-year loan to purchase a new bike. It'd be my main method of transport for *all* events (i.e. including formal and social events) so belt drive or a protected chain case would be nice so I don't wind up with grease on my suit. But I would also like to be able to take it on casual rides of 20-50 km.

This is in the UK-- we can still get EU brands of bikes out here (for now) so that may help inform.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Vitesse are the only ones doing fully enclosed that I can recall - this is my ebike,

The Boardman URB 8.9 Urban Hybrid has everything you want but all the enclosing stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cugel the Clever posted:

The irony of LEGO being from one of the cycliest countries in the world, but still making their city sets car-centric.

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly
Hi thread, over a year ago this bike was abandoned in front of my house. It’s a Rocky Mountain Whistler 10, I’m not sure of the year but maybe 2004? After checking to see if anyone reported it stolen I started fixing up the obvious issues and trying to learn about bike mechanics as I go. I’m only good for a few miles at the moment, but not in horrible shape and am hoping to eventually commute to work, at least partially, via bike whenever I have to go back to the office. I’m about 16 miles N of downtown Seattle.

So far I’ve replaced both tires, bottom bracket, brake calipers & pads, crankset, chain, pedals, seat, grips, all lines and cleaned up everything as best I can. I ran into trouble putting the rear hub back together, thought I kept track of everything well but the rubber parts were all cracked anyways, so took it to a shop to sort out for me. I’m pretty sure this bike isn’t “worth” doing much to, but it’s a good size for me and I like trying to give things a second life if possible. I haven’t had a bike in over 20 years and it’s so much fun to cruise around!

I need to get some fenders for sure, any other advice or suggestions for the bike, or building up my distances in the next few months? Lots of hills around here! I’m guessing most of what I need to do is just ride as much as possible, haha.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

knifehitz posted:

any other advice or suggestions for the bike,
How has the combination of saddle and suspension seat post worked out for you? A lot of the cheaper ones lose their bounce after a while. You might be in that situation and could benefit from a lighter normal seatpost. Similarly, if you have your position figured out, you could replace the adjustable stem with a solid one, which should save a couple oz.

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly

kimbo305 posted:

How has the combination of saddle and suspension seat post worked out for you? A lot of the cheaper ones lose their bounce after a while. You might be in that situation and could benefit from a lighter normal seatpost. Similarly, if you have your position figured out, you could replace the adjustable stem with a solid one, which should save a couple oz.

This is great advice, I actually had no idea that was supposed to be a suspension seat post lol. It doesn’t seem to have any bounce to speak of, so I will be replacing that! The saddle itself seems decent so far, much better than the worn & too large stock seat. Definitely worth the $12 haha. I will need some time to get my position dialed in more finely and will put a regular post on there. Thanks!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

God Hole posted:

That's incredible. Its great advice for a kid. Learning to ride a bike is your first chance at speed, self assurance, independence and exploration. It was always an escape to some kind of personal freedom as a kid- being told I was also moving the earth would have made me feel so cool.

Reminds me of my dad having an awesome old Peugeot road bike and always giving me poo poo for my own bikes as a kid not being as good as his. Then one day in a drunken rage he cut it in half :shrug:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's plenty of pictures of old timey bike racers smoking but my favourite fact comes from the Tour de France. Back in the early 1900s it was thought that tobacco smoke "opened the lungs" and so before major hill climbs the peloton would light a cigarette and pass it around. I can't think of anything worse...

SimonSays posted:

For when you need the maximum amount of junk in the trunk!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SimonSays posted:

That would make more sense, on my Brompton, then adding the rear rack. Add my front "T-Bag" and I could tour with that.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Phosphine posted:

I am extremely jealous of this.

In today's commuting story:
- this morning, we were running late so I was in a rush
- a courier pulls into the driveway as we ride down
- I'm expecting a package and of course it turns out that he's here to deliver it
- since we're late, I put it in the (already loaded) front basket and we keep going
- we get to a large busy intersection with lots of pedestrians and stop at the red light, behind a car, with a line of cars behind us
- the second car actually pulls up beside us, not behind us, so now I'm feeling the pressure
- when the light turns green, the car in front starts inching forward and I am just super conscious of the car next to us so I start inching forward too
- now as you all know, I am a petite Asian woman so I can't reach the ground with my feet while mounted, and the bike was heavier than usual this morning
- the car in front is moving so slowly that I'm wobble, wobble, wobble, wobbling, and then inevitable happens where the bike, bub and I all just slowly keel over onto the road, half on the kerb and half not.

It was such a slow fall that the only damage was a couple of scratches and scraps on the bike and bub's bike seat. Bub said that she bumped her head on one of the concrete planters (:( and also :wtf: how did she inherit her father's ability to hit her head on things when wearing a freaking helmet) but she was super cheerful about it so it must have been a really light bump. As to the driver of the car that made me so nervous in the first place, she jumped right out immediately to check we were okay and to pick up the bike and get going again.

Turns out she's a cyclist too :v:

So moral of the story:
- rushing while riding makes you do stupid things
- don't pull up in a car next to a cyclist, no matter how far away you think you are, because this is super nerve wracking
- some drivers can actually be nice
- separated cycling infrastructure should be built everywhere

Also last night I finish writing the first draft of the Chinese text for the cycling book, and there is literally two lines about the mom character (me) going out on the e-bike and one of those lines is something to the effect of "be careful, watch out in front!"

I think I jinxed myself.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Leng posted:

Also last night I finish writing the first draft of the Chinese text for the cycling book, and there is literally two lines about the mom character (me) going out on the e-bike and one of those lines is something to the effect of "be careful, watch out in front!"

I think I jinxed myself.
Use your power for good. The next page needs to be "In front you might find a pot of gold so be sure to watch for it!"

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I nearly wiped out yesterday. There's an underpass for bikes and pedestrians which a thundershower had previously flooded. There was a large deposit of wet silty mud left, which i noticed and avoided in the morning but completely forgot about in the afternoon. I hit it at speed while trail braking into a turn, on a bike with slicks. The result was a two wheel skid that could have easily caused a crash but didn't since I got lucky. I guess the takeaway is that riding the same route every day can be dangerous since it's easy to think you know exactly where the dangers are and then something changes and your autopilot mindset is all of a sudden a big problem.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Animal Friend posted:

There's plenty of pictures of old timey bike racers smoking but my favourite fact comes from the Tour de France. Back in the early 1900s it was thought that tobacco smoke "opened the lungs" and so before major hill climbs the peloton would light a cigarette and pass it around. I can't think of anything worse...

Of course smoking is bad for cardio fitness, but training matters more (until you're old and your lungs just totally give out). All of those smoking bikers would leave us in the dust with a cigarette dangling from their lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Of course smoking is bad for cardio fitness, but training matters more (until you're old and your lungs just totally give out). All of those smoking bikers would leave us in the dust with a cigarette dangling from their lips.

Wasn't there some 'theory' that irritating your lungs would give you a brief increase in capacity?

I know that if I have a cold coming on SOMETIMES I would be a bit faster that day.

Probabily BS and smoking sucks.