Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Oh right, I'm dumb lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Cleared legendary with Zilean and obviously you still need a lot of luck to get past "foundry summons 4 units on turn 1 and gives them all +2/+2" and "guard bots gets 2 or 3 fearsome bots out of heimer on turn 1" but he's definitely one of the better decks - he's not a free win like "MF with von yipp", "Hecarim with saplings" or "Lucian" but if you're playing around your second champ as a win condition, all the predict and draw helps and the other stuff is just good anyway, at least against the AI :v:

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hey goons - thank you for turning me on to this, been having a lot of fun so far. I've been alternating between Challenges (because they seem like basically an extended tutorial) and smashing my head against Labs as Irelia and Lissandra. Are there any obvious choices that I'm just missing for those two champions? (I took the 'you get an attack token every round' option for Irelia and that carried me pretty far, but the Scarlands deck whooped my rear end.)

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
man the lissandra and malphite lab decks are so bad lol they should just delete landmarks from the game

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

i turn one 0tked scars sej and foundry and turn 3 killed vik and guard bots. if they summon no blockers 1 von yip + student + haunted + seat one shots any of 20 healths on turn one. as i beat sej i was like man if i get a second i think i might be able to t1 otk viktor idk if my math is right. then i otked foundry and was like gently caress yeah.

i lost on foundry like 4 times with irelia i just couldnt close i was using my free rerolls to get seat. then i was like wait the knives are 1 cost! shes a von yip deck rerolled and had the best lab of my life.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Hey goons - thank you for turning me on to this, been having a lot of fun so far. I've been alternating between Challenges (because they seem like basically an extended tutorial) and smashing my head against Labs as Irelia and Lissandra. Are there any obvious choices that I'm just missing for those two champions? (I took the 'you get an attack token every round' option for Irelia and that carried me pretty far, but the Scarlands deck whooped my rear end.)

von yip is good on irelia and my lisandra run i did the your landmarks bloom twice .

snergle fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 6, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

snergle posted:

[i lost on foundry like 4 times with irelia i just couldnt close i was using my free rerolls to get seat
I've literally just realised that emperor's dais isn't the sun disc lol

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pilchenstein posted:

if it makes you feel better i thought it was sand swept tomb at first and i was like holy poo poo a free 5/2 every time i attack w/ irelia? yes pls

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fizz: Double Yipp + Phage + Pickaxe Fizz murdered everything.

Irelia: Lost to Victor once, but managed to win on a second attempt, can't remember what I used.

Malphite: Started with Double Cast Landmarks. Regen + Phage Tahm Kench just loving ate everything, the only thing I had trouble on was Guard Bots, and Malphite managed to get me through that barely.

Lissandra: Started with +1/1 when surviving damage, picked up Anivia. Managed to survive till Victor but died due to utter poo poo draw luck loving me over. I was terrified that Foundry would sap my health, but as it turns out, those poison puffs can't hurt you when your Nexus has Tough from Lissandra's level up. Lissandra's deck also comes with 2 forms of healing which helps a lot. If I could have gotten a 3 Spell Mana every round perk or some card draw I could've beaten Victor.

Zliean: How? Seriously. How?

I really wish the game let you start off stronger because it just feels like a massive hassle just getting through the first three stages, especially since the new choices just mean more chances for RNG to gently caress you over; I can reroll and still get some of the same options, which kills the point of rerolling. Malphite and Lissandra were fun to play as I got to the later nodes cause I had more toys to make up for my lovely early game, the first three stages (the ones you end up playing the most) were utter slogfests.

Pilchenstein posted:

I thought the Fleeting 1-cost damage spell perk was for a Fleeting 1-cost Blade Dance spell perk and hosed up my Irelia run (which I still won in the end, but boy did it set me back.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I thought the Fleeting 1-cost damage spell perk was for a Fleeting 1-cost Blade Dance spell perk and hosed up my Irelia run (which I still won in the end, but boy did it set me back.

They should probably let you inspect the passive buffs like you can inspect cards, for people who haven't memorized the name of every single card and keyword in the game.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just demotivating playing Spiders with Lissandra just to fail to find a Vladimir before Wraiths.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

It's just demotivating playing Spiders with Lissandra just to fail to find a Vladimir before Wraiths.
They should give you free rerolls on the second champ too tbh.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I opened two Irelias in the last week so I went to the dark side and crafted The Deck, and fully half my wins are people conceding after turn 2-3 after I do literally anything that indicates I have gas. I'm only in silver, people are done looking at this, haha.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pilchenstein posted:

This is earnestly what I believe.

Heck, make all rolls up to Thresh rerollable for free!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Clarste posted:

They should probably let you inspect the passive buffs like you can inspect cards, for people who haven't memorized the name of every single card and keyword in the game.

Like, where? You can see what your powers do in the game in the place where they list powers. Do you mean make them searchable or something?

Pilchenstein posted:

Nah. They're making a roguelite. Sometimes you get hosed on the first level, and that's fine because you've invested no time. The only reason they gave free rerolls at the beginning is because we already had them; they just put a button for quality of life. Once the game starts, sometimes you get hosed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CitizenKeen posted:

Like, where? You can see what your powers do in the game in the place where they list powers. Do you mean make them searchable or something?

When you are selecting them? So you can know what it is you are selecting?

Like when you right-click on a card, even when you are selecting which one to add to your deck, it unfolds and shows you what every other card it can transform into or create does.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

CitizenKeen posted:

Nah. They're making a roguelite. Sometimes you get hosed on the first level, and that's fine because you've invested no time. The only reason they gave free rerolls at the beginning is because we already had them; they just put a button for quality of life. Once the game starts, sometimes you get hosed.
Nah, it's asinine to have to replay spiders (the most boring experience in the mode) over and over when you want to try out a specific champ combo. If they want to protect the Sanctity of the Challenge™ or whatever then they can give us an AI that at least knows what game it's playing :v:

There's the potential for a really good experience here, with absolutely tons of interesting builds you could try if you had a little more agency but instead they seem to be opting for "here's more poo poo decks for you to grind out because it's vitally important we keep you on a treadmill in this free mode, in our free game, where your card collection and cosmetics don't matter". Like, I'm not saying they should eliminate the random factor entirely but it would be nice if the challenge we had to overcome was "play well" and not "be lucky".

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
roguelites are trash and i dont want them on my body

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Why are people trying to get vlad?

I agree the lissandra deck isn't great. It crushes spiders & mistwraiths but takes way too many turns. It's later rounds where you need to explode onto the board early to not take lots of damage when the deck falls apart if you haven't drafted really powerful t1-t3 stuff. Especially true on heroic & legend. It's weird they made it with so little removal.

I'd put this deck in last patch's lulu tier. This patch lulu is better because some of the new powers are very strong with her deck.

Pilchenstein posted:

Nah, it's asinine to have to replay spiders (the most boring experience in the mode) over and over when you want to try out a specific champ combo. If they want to protect the Sanctity of the Challenge™ or whatever then they can give us an AI that at least knows what game it's playing :v:

There's the potential for a really good experience here, with absolutely tons of interesting builds you could try if you had a little more agency but instead they seem to be opting for "here's more poo poo decks for you to grind out because it's vitally important we keep you on a treadmill in this free mode, in our free game, where your card collection and cosmetics don't matter". Like, I'm not saying they should eliminate the random factor entirely but it would be nice if the challenge we had to overcome was "play well" and not "be lucky".
The skill comes from pulling off wins with not great drafts & draws and the drafting process itself which is far more flexible than how people approach it. The AI plays suboptimally and that gives lots of room to not lose and somehow win even though your deck/draw never should. Good drafts have very little play because you just close out games on t3 over and over.

Attempting to force a champion combination or very specific sets of powers/card buffs takes way too many rerolls and too much time vs just rerolling for a strong first power and then drafting the best run you can. When you use rerolls and how many you use during a run is also skill testing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 7, 2021

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Khorne posted:

Why are people trying to get vlad?

I agree the lissandra deck isn't great. It crushes spiders & mistwraiths but takes way too many turns. It's later rounds where you need to explode onto the board early to not take lots of damage when the deck falls apart if you haven't drafted really powerful t1-t3 stuff. It's weird they made it with so little removal.

Mainly because it seems fun to synergize with the +1/1 when surviving damage trait. I tried with both Anivia and Tyr and died so I want to try something else.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Khorne posted:

The skill comes from pulling off wins with not great drafts & draws and the drafting process itself which is far more flexible than how people approach it. The AI plays suboptimally and that gives lots of room to not lose and somehow win even though your deck/draw never should. Good drafts have very little play because you just close out games on t3 over and over.
I'm not saying that you can't just draft a bunch of horseshit that doesn't work and still scrape out wins because the AI is atrocious, I'm saying that's not as fun as if you could actually make interesting decisions and play against an opponent that knew what cards were.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finally managed to get Vlad with Lissandra and won the game. Vlad + Mana Gem + Tavern Keep or whatever the dude's name is kept my health up throughout the rounds.

Also got a Doublecast on Ice Shard which meant that each cast of the spell meant +2/2 for Lissandra and +2/0 for any other units of my that got hit.

Hardest was Guard Bots but the AI decked itself out (I also helped with Nab on Lissandra).

Viktor died because he couldn't play a card for 2 turns.

Only Zilean left to go.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Only Zilean left to go.
I'm on heroic difficulty at the minute and I'd honestly rather do legendary with Zilean another ten times than play Lissandra or Malphite :v:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Man, azir aggro is so mean. Ruin runner is lowkey incredibly strong. Easily my favorite aggro deck so far, I honestly feel bad for some of my opponents. I sometimes end games with 6-8 extra damage in hand that I don't even need.

Protip though, Darius sucks, ruin runner is better in every way. I took out darius and legion grenadier (not impactful enough) for 2x brother's bond and a precious pet. Bond is an amazing card, not sure why it isn't in the netdeck. Yes, I'll take decimate at burst speed for 3 less mana please thank you. Or value trade (SOMETIMES). And it's a permanent buff!

edit: I'd also like to mention that LoR is the first card game I've played where I don't get really pissed when I go second ten games in a row. Usually playing an all-in aggro deck would aggravate the goes first advantage but I never feel that way in LoR.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 10, 2021

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pilchenstein posted:

On this topic, it's helpful to remember your ABCs:
  • Always pick le
  • Blan
  • C
:v:

this sure was a fun zilean deck i really used :checks notes: scrying sands alot

Magic Underwear posted:

Man, azir aggro is so mean. Ruin runner is lowkey incredibly strong. Easily my favorite aggro deck so far, I honestly feel bad for some of my opponents. I sometimes end games with 6-8 extra damage in hand that I don't even need.

Protip though, Darius sucks, ruin runner is better in every way. I took out darius and legion grenadier (not impactful enough) for 2x brother's bond and a precious pet. Bond is an amazing card, not sure why it isn't in the netdeck. Yes, I'll take decimate at burst speed for 3 less mana please thank you. Or value trade (SOMETIMES). And it's a permanent buff!

edit: I'd also like to mention that LoR is the first card game I've played where I don't get really pissed when I go second ten games in a row. Usually playing an all-in aggro deck would aggravate the goes first advantage but I never feel that way in LoR.

99% of the time i dont care if i attack on odds or evens but every once inawhile ill have a mirror match and be like man i won / lost because he was on odds / evens

snergle fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 10, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this game is definitely the best one ive played for not having the game decided by the pregame coin flip even if im playing aggro

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

snergle posted:

this sure was a fun zilean deck i really used :checks notes: scrying sands alot
The system works :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

:toot:

Lissandra and Ralph Malph were a total arseache, the other three were varying shades of trivial.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I needed some points to wrap up the event and spamming irelia normals is hilarious. Deck wins on t3 constantly with only common powers, no need for a supporting champ, and only common irelia upgrades.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, both Irelia and Azir with +2/2 to 1 drops will turn labs into a quick experience machine as you wipe out every AI around turn 3-4 since you flood the board with lots of stats they can't deal with.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, both Irelia and Azir with +2/2 to 1 drops will turn labs into a quick experience machine as you wipe out every AI around turn 3-4 since you flood the board with lots of stats they can't deal with.
I was using emperor's dai power as first pick mostly because it comes up quickly. The common one that gives +1/1 on summon turn is also pretty good as a second power.

If I were offered yip's I'd have picked it, but I had to grind out a ton of points so I wanted to go with not rerolling until I got the correct epic.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zilean turned out to be a fun playthrough with 2x Ancient Preparations meaning the free 1-cost landmark you get summons 3 2/2 units, and Time Bombs now do 3 damage (3x 1 damage) total, meaning that everyone except Scargrounds folds like paper whenever you get them off. Got Zilean down to 0 cost as well and gave him a Phage.

Mistwraiths were a bit annoying though.

My secondary champ was Sej, who didn't see much use, but did make for a neat finisher. The 6-cost who gets stronger every time you predict them saved my rear end against Scargrounds and Battle Bots (think I got them to like 13/13 at highest), and everything else generally died to an onslaught of Time Bombs and a ton of 2/2 units.

Khorne posted:

I was using emperor's dai power as first pick mostly because it comes up quickly. The common one that gives +1/1 on summon turn is also pretty good as a second power.

If I were offered yip's I'd have picked it, but I had to grind out a ton of points so I wanted to go with not rerolling until I got the correct epic.

The issue I have with Emperor's Dai / Sparing Student starts instead of Yipps is that 1) no 3/3 Sparing Student on Mistwraiths means you have no way to defend against Mistrwaiths and end up taking a hit or two and 2) 1/1 Blades and Sand Soldiers don't do anything to Scargrounds and make defending a lot more painful.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Boxman posted:

I opened two Irelias in the last week so I went to the dark side and crafted The Deck, and fully half my wins are people conceding after turn 2-3 after I do literally anything that indicates I have gas. I'm only in silver, people are done looking at this, haha.

I'm in mid gold now and this is still happening

This deck is so incredibly stupid. There should be an emote that's just that bit of text from the patch notes that says "WE LOVE THE PLAY PATTERN OF BLADE DANCE" for use when i attack 3-4 times in a single turn.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
any news on a nerf?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

any news on a nerf?

Next patch, not this one.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, no nerfs yet. Just a beach party:
https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/game-updates/patch-2-10-0-notes/

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lmao, lets make 1 alternate skin with animation and put it on loving taliyah

i would buy zoe draven and fiora if they had animations.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Lol finally cleared my first labs run

With irelia

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

It's still absolutely crazy to me that most of the skins are just a .png.

Hearthstone heroes were bad but at least they had unique voicelines, and even then they realized no one wanted to spend that much on them and started giving them out different ways.

AND they are on the board 100% of the time!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its just crazy to me that they are putting the animated ones on some of the worst champs in the game. who is buying skins for unplayable cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Rise of the Underworlds spoilers have started:

https://twitter.com/PlayRuneterra/status/1407007905438654473?s=20

And an explanation of the new keyword:

https://twitter.com/PlayRuneterra/status/1407020495262785536?s=20

Love to start the hype train with an unplayably bad card and introducing a keyword with two cards that look like doo doo. I guess Snapjaw Swarm is a little ambiguous - can other units join in the attack? Probably not, right? If it can, that's probably playable as a rally effect and occasionally you get a 1/2 on top of it.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 21, 2021