Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Jack B Nimble posted:

For real, gonna be real hard for me to finally commit to buying a 20k car when it's "marked adjusted" to 30k.

Not much of a joke. Was looking at foresters yesterday, and the limited was selling at MSRP plus a $4500 market adjustment. Plus $1500 delivery fee etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah. I was totally serious, I believe everyone that says the shortage will adjust prices up and they will never, ever go back down.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just walked into the Toyota dealer and said Ill pay msrp minus the mil rebate for the Tacoma and they said cool. I think the msrp thing is hugely regional, I hear people in CA see a markup of 5-10k on the exact truck Im getting. Maybe try offering a few different dealers msrp and see if any fold right away

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ethanol posted:

I just walked into the Toyota dealer and said Ill pay msrp minus the mil rebate for the Tacoma and they said cool. I think the msrp thing is hugely regional, I hear people in CA see a markup of 5-10k on the exact truck Im getting. Maybe try offering a few different dealers msrp and see if any fold right away

I can't remember whether this anecdote is from Tom McParland (car-buying guy at Jalopnik), but someone was shopping years ago for an Escalade for a client and almost every CA Caddie dealer wanted stupid markups for them, he ended up going to a Cadillac dealer in Montana who gave him a great price and said something to the effect of I'll sell to all of your clients gently caress those guys, they'll bitch to corporate but it's not my fault they don't know how to sell a car.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Wife and I are moving to the US, Atlanta, in August and need a car. I'm a US citizen and have good credit, just haven't lived in the US for some time.

Proposed Budget: 10k.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: 4 door. Something like a Corolla but no particular preference.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to the city. Occasional road trips to DC or Florida to visit family.
What aspects are most important to you? Nothing in particular. We've had the same basic car for 8 years without any issues. We're trying to keep cost of living low until for the next few years as she'll be in college so our income will be more limited than usual. We can both drive stick shift.

As an aside, I'd rather stick to reputable dealerships that will allow me to close on something fast, even if it adds a bit to the cost. Every day I don't have a car over there means I'll have to rent one, so any savings I might get from shopping around on private sales would probably be quickly eaten up by that.

Hey all, I'm two months out from the move and I know that I can't buy a car this far ahead but I'd like to start getting an idea of what I'll need to do once I get there.

I've updated my budget to 15-20k with financing. My Credit Score is around 750 (normaly 780ish but just opened a card).

Is something like this what I should be looking at? Too expensive for the mileage? Too many miles in 4 years? Any tips welcome.

https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/2T1BURHE4HC779180/2017-toyota-corolla/

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 9, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
20k gets you pretty darn close to a brand new Toyota Corolla LE which is a much better car and probably has better financing options available. However, right now is probably the worst time to be buying a new or used car in years, it's approaching low-end-of-the-market-post-cash-for-clunkers levels.

As for mileage, 4/65 is reasonable. 16,000 miles a year is above average but not insane.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Anyone have any intel on whether rav4 hybrid batteries suck or not?

I asked earlier but blabbed too much and nobody answered so figured I'd bump my query. This is basically my last chance to painlessly offramp away from the RAV4 I've got a claim on at msrp and eyeball random other poo poo like BMW X3

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Pander posted:

I asked earlier but blabbed too much and nobody answered so figured I'd bump my query. This is basically my last chance to painlessly offramp away from the RAV4 I've got a claim on at msrp and eyeball random other poo poo like BMW X3

I dont but it is Toyota, it is fine.

Get in the rav4, shinji.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Pander posted:

Its the same drive train (mostly) as the Prius which is one of the most reliable cars ever made soIm guessing they dont suck at all.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Going to be checking these cars out this weekend with a friend of mine, anything in particular I should look out for?
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/d/new-york-mazda/7331020500.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/d/howard-beach-scion-xb/7330189876.html
In particular that head unit for the Scion kind of sketches me out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

head unit looks like a perfectly sensible upgrade for someone who wants Android Auto, I wouldn't worry about that. However, it was also owned by someone who paints the drums red so that's more of a red flag to me, as well as its generally beat on exterior condition. Some evidence of rust on that Mazda's rear passenger side wheel well so make sure you look carefully for structural rust in the door sills and underneath.

Bottom line you're in the 3K end of the market so everything is going to have flaws. Go with whatever seems to be best maintained and or has records and don't buy anything with major rust.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

head unit looks like a perfectly sensible upgrade for someone who wants Android Auto, I wouldn't worry about that. However, it was also owned by someone who paints the drums red so that's more of a red flag to me, as well as its generally beat on exterior condition. Some evidence of rust on that Mazda's rear passenger side wheel well so make sure you look carefully for structural rust in the door sills and underneath.

Bottom line you're in the 3K end of the market so everything is going to have flaws. Go with whatever seems to be best maintained and or has records and don't buy anything with major rust.

The free tooth brush with the Scion is a nice value add. Double check that it is included though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can anyone explain why a used Volt would need 2 years of penalty registration costs? It's more on registration costs than the tax on the drat car. And I know it was owned in the last 2 years. That someone just not paid their registration or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Can anyone explain why a used Volt would need 2 years of penalty registration costs? It's more on registration costs than the tax on the drat car. And I know it was owned in the last 2 years. That someone just not paid their registration or something?

Registration is state specific, so you should specify where. This sounds very California.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Motronic posted:

This sounds very California.
Bingo!
Which is weird because it's been in CA for all the vehicle's life. Wtf.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

That would be my guess. The PO has been driving on expired plates for two years. It varies by state and individual laws. There's probably a form you have to file that declares you'll be parking your car in a barn or whatever and won't be driving it, so you're not liable for the registration fee. Otherwise the state would assume you're driving it.

I've never let my registration lapse for a full year, but I forgot once and registered a few months late. It expired in the same month as before and it wasn't prorated. I paid the same amount for 10 months as 12.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

That would be my guess. The PO has been driving on expired plates for two years. It varies by state and individual laws. There's probably a form you have to file that declares you'll be parking your car in a barn or whatever and won't be driving it, so you're not liable for the registration fee. Otherwise the state would assume you're driving it.

I'm not any kind of expert in CA registration, but friends of mine from there have talked about getting a "non-op"(erational) registration to avoid things like this. I've also heard that it's not legal to sell a car with unpaid reg fees.

I don't know how accurate either of those are, hopefully someone fluent in CADMV will pop in.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I wouldnt say Im an expert, but as someone whos bought and sold a bunch of cars in CA over many years; youre boned.

If the PO didnt pay the registration fee, and didnt non-op it(send back the registration bill with non-op marked on it and a small fee), the registration fee gets exponentially higher the longer it remains unpaid. And SOMEONE will pay that fee - even if you just bought the car and didnt know, and didnt incur the fee yourself, you gotta pay before youll get tags and a pink.

You see a lot of cars being parted out simply because the cost to register it it is astronomical after a few years of ignoring the DMV, even when theres nothing wrong with the vehicle.

Edit: AFAIK, its legal to sell the vehicle with DMV fees owed - theres an online DMV checker where you put in the VIN(or license plate #, I cant remember), and it tells you how much $$$ you owe. I think youre supposed to disclose it, but I dunno what recourse you have to a private party seller.

Its not legal to sell a car without a smog, and if you do and it doesnt smog, it was never a legal sale and the seller has to give back the purchase price.

Where poo poo gets REAL ugly is when you have a chain of people who never paid all the fees selling the car to the next person, and the use tax adds up every time its sold. Use tax = sales tax, in this case.

Edit edit: WTF happened to all my apostrophes? This is a weird Awful App bug.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 12, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thanks, all. I've actually had to non-op a vehicle once (scooter) when I was fresh out of college and it was kind of a pain to have to go back and register it.

My inclination was to think the PO hosed up, so it's good (and kind of sad) to know that it's possible to just be a douche like that.

Motronic posted:

I've also heard that it's not legal to sell a car with unpaid reg fees.
Heck, if the drat dealership covered the $2.5k in back fees I'd probably buy the loving vehicle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Heck, if the drat dealership covered the $2.5k in back fees I'd probably buy the loving vehicle.

So you don't already own this thing? Congratulations. Now move along unless they immediately agree to eat the reg fees other than for the current year as if the reg was never screwed up.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Alabama doesn't do that, and the cost of a ticket for driving on expired tags is far less than it costs me to register all 3 cars. Last August we were driving so little that I just let the reg lapse, and I'm waiting until this August to renew it. We still drive very little, so the gamble may pay off.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

New Tacoma Trd off-road was delivered today. I managed to find this recent arrival on the lot. It was one of two within 500 miles.

Decided against four doors. Fell in love with long bed but short wheel base and have been fine with a 2 door Miata for years.

Heres a few pics
https://imgur.com/a/yqFksyV

Interest rate landed at 3.17 for this.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 16, 2021

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I've managed to survive in Seattle for 6 years without a car, but my husband and I are finally in a comfortable enough financial position to buy something! This is the first time in my life that I'll own a car that's not 20 years old and $1500, and I could use some guidance so I don't just go and buy the first thing I see OR overthink it and give myself an ulcer.

Proposed Budget: $8000 cash
New or Used[/b]: Used
Body Style: Compact or midsize, 4 door.
How will you be using the car?: Occasional work commute (30-40 minute drive, highway, a few times a month), but other than that mostly city driving and occasional road trips.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Reliability, ease of maintenance, automatic transmission. Husband wants something Japanese, but that's negotiable.

Hello I'm back! I've been looking at what's available locally, and I keep coming back to this 2012 Prius, is there anything on there that stands out as a red flag?

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
Weird car question that I've been noodling:

My dad's side of the family has a ranch in west Texas. We've got a Yukon XL that we use for carting people/deer feed/etc. around, but dad isn't getting any younger and is looking for something that can take him off the (dirt) road and get him closer to whatever he's trying to get to (finding cattle, etc.). I know a lot of people use side-by-sides/UTVs etc. for this kind of thing, but the challenge there is that the ranch is in two pieces separated by some highway, so that's a lot of loading/unloading it on the trailer (or taking the side-by-side on the highway, which is technically allowed for farm vehicles in Texas, but still seems like a bad idea). Also, Texas is super hot and or cold a lot of the time, turns out.

In terms of terrain, there's plenty of up-and-down limestone ledges, places that get super muddy when it rains, and some moderate brush, but I can't think of anywhere we'd actually want to get to that looks like a rock crawling course or anything crazy like that.

Nice to haves:
- Generally less wide is better (fitting more places)
- Generally less curb weight is better (not wanting to tear up wet roads, etc.)
- Creature comforts (A/C, decent ride, etc.)

Not necessary:
- Hauling capacity (we've got the Yukon for towing poo poo and people)

Budget is flexible. There's a reasonable mechanic in town, but want to optimize for reliability, so 80's/90's real compact SUVs are probably out (although I am aware the thing I'm describing is pretty much a Suzuki Samurai).

Possibilities I'm considering:
- Jeep or a Bronco (optimizing for offroading but larger/heavier)
- Something smaller with AWD and a decent clearance (maybe Bronco Sport or Subaru Crosstrek?)
- Just two side-by-sides (lol)

Thoughts on options?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Supposedly, the new Defender has actually serious off-roading chops and comes in a 2-door short wheelbase version. Might be on the expensive side for a beater farm truck though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 16, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Hello I'm back! I've been looking at what's available locally, and I keep coming back to this 2012 Prius, is there anything on there that stands out as a red flag?

The unpainted front bumper cover. That car has been in an accident, and someone tried to fix it as cheaply as possible.

Its possible that somebody just cracked the bumper cover in a light, low-speed collision and its basically fine underneath. Its also possible that the crash safety structures are compromised and its a twisted mess that will fold in half in another crash. Theoretically, a car in bad shape after an accident should be totaled, but especially on the less expensive end of the market its possible for accidents to avoid insurance companies.

In normal times, Id just say look elsewhere, but at the very least dont go near it without a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection that youve paid for, from a mechanic you trust. And, definitely dont trust anything Quick Motor Inc tells you about the car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Supposedly, the new Defender has actually serious off-roading chops and comes in a 2-door short wheelbase version. Might be on the expensive side for a beater farm truck though.

dude is also in a rural area and wants reliability and low weight, I don't think the defender is a great idea.

People use UTVs for this because they're pretty much fit to purpose other than the highway bit. How much highway do you have to go on, and is it like, 2 lane rural highway or interstate? If it's just a few miles, I'd suck it up and get a UTV or a SxS. They're not horribly slow and you'll likely be transiting in the day with good visibility. You're in a rural area so there's some expectations of equipment on roads.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

See if you can get one of those Mahindra CJ-7 knockoffs (Roxor) theyre selling as UTVs. I think they have a bolt on HVAC.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah we have a 4 seat Polaris Ranger for that. My 92 year old grandfather insists on puttering about in it around the land and it works great for hauling material and tools into terrain we don't feel comfortable driving the Yukon to.

Honestly if it's not a busy highway, you should be fine driving it across. We drive ours across a local state highway when necessary, and the Ranger can hit close to 50 if needed.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

ethanol posted:

New Tacoma Trd off-road was delivered today. I managed to find this recent arrival on the lot. It was one of two within 500 miles.

Decided against four doors. Fell in love with long bed but short wheel base and have been fine with a 2 door Miata for years.

Heres a few pics
https://imgur.com/a/yqFksyV

Interest rate landed at 3.17 for this.

Congrats. not that it matters to most people, are those halogen projector headlamps?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Based in Canada.

Proposed Budget: <$30,000 CAD (ideally)

New or Used: Either, but used market here is tight

Body Style: Don't care

How will you be using the car?: Commuting
Priority 1: Good highway car; can accelerate and pass semis without rattling apart. Cruising speed is 120kmh/75mph.
Priority 2: Gas mileage.
Priority 3: Built tough enough for the occasional gravel and backroad.
Very distant Priority 4: Can fit three car seats across in the backseat (but we already have a Suburban for that).

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and MPG. This will strictly be a commuter car, anywhere from 40km to 60km each way a day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

P
R
I
U
S

by the way everything is built tough enough for improved gravel roads

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Congrats. not that it matters to most people, are those halogen projector headlamps?

They are. Led headlights are an option that is hard to find / next to impossible to find without being in the premium package or being ordered. I hope I can just switch the assemblies at some point but right now those assemblies are going for 600-1400 for each headlight.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

P
R
I
U
S

Seriously, also, "rattling apart" what? Nothing built in the last 20+ years feels like that unless it's a completely unmaintained shitbox.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dude is also in a rural area and wants reliability and low weight, I don't think the defender is a great idea.

People use UTVs for this because they're pretty much fit to purpose other than the highway bit. How much highway do you have to go on, and is it like, 2 lane rural highway or interstate? If it's just a few miles, I'd suck it up and get a UTV or a SxS. They're not horribly slow and you'll likely be transiting in the day with good visibility. You're in a rural area so there's some expectations of equipment on roads.

People here use side-by-sides to run errands to the store. They move quick enough and are big enough that they navigate through traffic just fine. The only real issues they have being used that way is a) you're loving dead if you get in a crash and b) no climate control. But the whole "dead in a crash" is also going to be a thing with any other lightweight offroad-capable SUV.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

P
R
I
U
S

Maybe mechanically but I notice a big difference between the paint quality or durability on the Suburban versus my dying Fit. Maybe it's in my head, though.
The Fit also bumps and slides around a lot more on gravel. And it sounds like you're being hit by machine gun fire. And the post-winter pot holes on the country roads are cruel. And heaven forbid you try to accelerate from 120-130kmh to pass a semi.

just another fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 16, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The UTV end of the spectrum has enclosed cabs with HVAC but you're also gonna spend like 20k. Still worth it especially in West Texas. And agreed, you're going to be equally dead in a Samurai vs a Ranger or Can-Am.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

just another posted:

Maybe mechanically but I notice a big difference between the paint quality or durability on the Suburban versus my dying Fit. Maybe it's in my head, though.
The Fit also bumps and slides around a lot more. And the post-winter pot holes are cruel. And heaven forbid you try to accelerate from 120-130kmh to pass a semi, especially uphill.

has your fit actually broken from driving on gravel roads

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Tires, windshields, chewed up paint, etc. Nothing major. Winter has been far harder on it. But while I appreciate your point that it can technically handle gravel roads, what I want is something that feels sturdier and more sure-footed on gravel and backroads, and which can accelerate from 120 to 130 without sounding like its struggling.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
When you say struggling, is it getting very loud and seeming like it can't go much faster easily? It's OK for the engine to get loud when passing someone at very high speeds, and the Fit isn't a slow car if you put the pedal all the way down to the floor.

Edit: I'm not trying to be condescending, some times it seems like a car is called slow or underpowered if it can't EASILY pass at high speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't been in a compact that struggles to hit 80 since highschool and college in the 00s with people driving cars from the 80s to 90s.

Like how old is the Fit? Is the running gear about to go? Did you lose a cylinder somewhere?

Your priorities and price range means you can look into crossovers or very base model CUVs but they are in direct odds to priority 1 and 2 (even with asking a Prius to hit 85mph) for very cosmetic gains in priority 3. A couple inches of deck height and some awd do not make something much more confident feeling on gravel. It's still in rock slinging range if you don't like the dings and your dynamic handling might be a little more butt comfortable with the extra travel available but isn't doing anything extra to keep you moving in the right directions.

A commuter car that needs to do dirt roads occasionally is best answered with a hybrid compact. If you actually meant your priority 3 is priority 1 then we can recommend your favorite shaped Subaru.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 16, 2021