Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
well if there's something its ok to have a breakdown over, it's this

idk what to say, you're in an incredibly tough situation. For what its worth, you have all my sympathies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Sending whatever good vibes I can your way, hope you folks can get home and start up your life together soon.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

kitten emergency posted:

they had to intubate once they took her out, her airways hadn’t fully opened up yet. they came back today saying some of her screening tests for weird genomic stuff were indicating some thyroid issues, so they ran more tests and we’re waiting on results. idk other than the breathing she seems fine to me but I’m not a doctor.

worst thing is just not knowing

my brother had a similar case with his kid needing immediate medical attention (he had a hole in his heart and some other complications).
but now, after multiple medical procedures, the lil one is running around and being an adorable goofball.

things are going to get better. the lil one is going to be fine.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
my daughter had a hole in her heart and infant diabetes. they had her sorted in a week, been healthy ever since.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Stringent posted:

my second one was in the nicu for a week and it sucked rear end, but she's been healthy as heck ever since.

the day we took her home from there was probably the happiest of my life to date, so look forward to that. :)

same

my boy came home and all was well. Then the midwives came over (this was in the UK) and said that 'his color was normal for a mixed race boy'...while my very white wife and very white me were standing right there. We said 'hey, we are actually white as gently caress' and they said 'OH poo poo get down to a&e now!!!'. he had very severe jaundice

then they took him in and ran some tests, including a loving lumbar puncture to check his cerebro-spinal fluid, and it turned out to be bacterial meningitis. he was in NICU for a week after that, but was fine and well cared for. I played BOTW on the WiiU all week in the room with him, wifey slept in there with him, and I only went home to sleep (I wasn't allowed to sleep in the hospital).

But it all turned out fine! Care for babies is really good and everyone will be very cautious and caring. You're no doubt in excellent hands.

My boy is a loving nutcase of energy now, that week was the quietest he's ever been and its only cos he hadn't yet learnt to ask 10,000,000 questions an hour

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Man that poo poo is terrifying. We just had a little bit of jaundice (as a treat) and that was bad enough. A friend had a full on "suddenly chokes and stops breathing in the middle of the night" on like day 2 because the airways weren't properly clear on account of being born super quickly and I would probably just panic and freeze.

anyway the cat has just managed to divide and rule us and get twice the number of treats which bodes poorly for future "present a united front" parenting

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
My son just happily read this tongue twister off the screen share at full volume:

quote:

Yally Bally had a jolly g***w*g. Feeling folly, Yally Bally Bought his jolly ****’ a dollie made of holly! The ****’, feeling jolly, named the holly dollie, Polly. So Yally Bally’s jolly ****’s holly dollie Polly’s also jolly!

I'm... wondering if I should ruin the poor teacher's day asking whether she knows a g***w*g is a fairly racist piece of iconography. (In a side-channel of course, she probably just copied these tongue twisters off some random website)

EDIT: I don't need to let words like these dirty up the place.

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 11, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i think that one's supposed to have "polliwog" in there instead

(a polliwog is a tadpole)

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think that one's supposed to have "polliwog" in there instead

(a polliwog is a tadpole)

Yes, but the screen had the s/\bp/g/g version. So does the top few pages of DuckDuckGo when I search for "Yally Bally"

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 11, 2021

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
man this NICU poo poo sucks. wife was having breakdowns at the hospital because she had been in there for a week total (they offered a courtesy stay thing where she could sleep in an extra room after discharge), she was missing meals because of how the cafeteria hours worked, just a mess. she decided to come home because at least she could have a breakdown in a more comfortable bed.

the kid seems to be getting better but they think there’s some thyroid issue where her thyroid isn’t working right, so they’ve got her on meds for that but it takes a while to kick in. she’s not under the jaundice light any more at least and is starting to bottle feed, so that seems good. I guess we’re both just terrified that she’s gonna have some permanent developmental problems because of all this. :/

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

kitten emergency posted:

man this NICU poo poo sucks. wife was having breakdowns at the hospital because she had been in there for a week total (they offered a courtesy stay thing where she could sleep in an extra room after discharge), she was missing meals because of how the cafeteria hours worked, just a mess. she decided to come home because at least she could have a breakdown in a more comfortable bed.

the kid seems to be getting better but they think there’s some thyroid issue where her thyroid isn’t working right, so they’ve got her on meds for that but it takes a while to kick in. she’s not under the jaundice light any more at least and is starting to bottle feed, so that seems good. I guess we’re both just terrified that she’s gonna have some permanent developmental problems because of all this. :/
she's where she needs to be. kids are incredibly resilient. the hard part is matching them. even parents of relatively healthy kids are stressed out and scared at first

you're all gonna make it, just do your best. the feeding and no jaundice light are incredibly good steps. if your role is to watch wait and support, focus on progress not risks. you'll have your entire parenthood to worry about risks

hang in there dad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
my wife wanted a second kid last year as our first was about to get out of diapers pre-covid but then welp. but even that aside and among other reasons, i'm too big of a coward because what if this time around there's nicu and/or health/developmental problems. i don't think I could handle it

you're braver than me even if not by choice

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
well I’m pretty sure this at least puts a fork in the “what about two kids?” convo so I’ve got that going for me

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

When we did our longish stay with my boy I went out to get food for the wife. the hospital food was not great and that scheduling thing you mentioned was a real pain

It was a nice thing for her to look forward to to

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
last time i quested out to bring popeyes to my wife, which was fun since it was an xmas eve eve delivery

she has something to prove if we do a #3, that she can go through a pregnancy without loving up her ability to walk:

- first childe had her twist the poo poo outta her ankle at about 8 months lunging for the dog escaping his collar on a walk: nothing too too serious, just some damaged ligaments and limping for awhile, kinda used a cane for a bit

- babby #2 had her full on break both legs, was wheelchair-bound from 7 months pregnant to 4ish months old, is still kinda hosed up from it and doing physical therapy

so yeah either the next one is gonna be all "see, i can deliver without hosed up legs" or it'll just straightup paralyze her somehow lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol gently caress having kids as a physical challenge, let her take up rock climbing or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i just remembered the time not long after our first son was born and my wife was dealing with a mild case of mastitis. i had recently read some james herriot and I thought I’d be funny and refer to her affliction as “august bag”. she, unsurprisingly, was not amused.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
warm compresses can help that btw. get the big rubber bag water thing, or a heating pad

my mother in law told us that she could only nurse from one side the entire time because of it, it can get p gnarley but just regularass clogging is somewhat normal, the advice now is that you can generally nurse through it unless it's some kinda full-on infection

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

last time i quested out to bring popeyes to my wife, which was fun since it was an xmas eve eve delivery

she has something to prove if we do a #3, that she can go through a pregnancy without loving up her ability to walk:

- first childe had her twist the poo poo outta her ankle at about 8 months lunging for the dog escaping his collar on a walk: nothing too too serious, just some damaged ligaments and limping for awhile, kinda used a cane for a bit

- babby #2 had her full on break both legs, was wheelchair-bound from 7 months pregnant to 4ish months old, is still kinda hosed up from it and doing physical therapy

so yeah either the next one is gonna be all "see, i can deliver without hosed up legs" or it'll just straightup paralyze her somehow lol

1) take a pregnancy supplement.
2) wear appropriate shoes.
3) hire an exorcist.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Almost rounding out the first trimester. We're starting to think pretty seriously about how we'll handle everything once the kid is actually here.

General question, how the gently caress does anyone actually afford to raise a child? Assuming you were not born rich.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

shoeberto posted:

General question, how the gently caress does anyone actually afford to raise a child? Assuming you were not born rich.
if you can have breastfeeding work successfully that's huge at first. having cooking skills and ability to prep babyfood inhouse is also a big plus.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

shoeberto posted:

We're starting to think pretty seriously about how we'll handle everything once the kid is actually here.

shh no one tell him :laugh:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

shoeberto posted:

Almost rounding out the first trimester. We're starting to think pretty seriously about how we'll handle everything once the kid is actually here.

make sure to sign up for daycare (wait lists can be enormous, do this before the delivery) but plan out when you actually want to start them at it

we made it nearly 6 months for our first, between alternating maternity and paternity leave and the dance of grandmas coming over to stay for weeks at a time

infant daycare is eeeeexpensive, a significant portion of the cost of raising a child is spent in the first 5 years of life. thanks america

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

we pay more for daycare monthly than we do for our mortgage, even more so during the summer because our older son does all kinds of cool field trips and whatnot. that last bit is discretionary but it’s better than having him sit around at home.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

for us it’s not just more than the mortgage it’s closer to double the cost of the mortgage

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Childcare prices around here make it look like daycare is going to be roughly equal to our rent, but that's only because our rent is loving outrageous due to being in the NYC metro area. Trying to buy a house here has been an absolute poo poo show because apparently you have to have gently caress-you money to buy in 2021. We're having pretty serious conversations about moving to a cheaper COL area but my wife would have to find a new job for that to work out.

Mostly just bitching to bitch. We'll figure it out.

Right? You guys have figured it out? Right???

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah we did exactly that, moved to a cheaper area driven by new wifejob so we could buy a house

my company already had a satellite office here so that made things easier too

more than one of her married doctorin' friends are seriously considering moving here too for the same reason now lol

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

My wife is a PhD (assuming that's what you meant by doctorin but maybe you meant MD) so that's what makes the proposition of moving tricky. Her field *potentially* has employment opportunities but they're mostly with state agencies or universities which are largely on hiring freezes. So a lot of this is just kinda figuring out how to get through the next little stretch til we figure out the next move which is apparently what life is?? Wha???? What the gently caress 90s American sitcoms you made this poo poo look so easy.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
well she's a physician but yeah we moved to a city with a high number of government bodies and also universities, relative to the population (a capital city)

so she lined up a public position here before we moved. i don't believe the state or feds are currently in hiring freezes here, dunno about academia though

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

real dad hours who up
https://twitter.com/dudespostingws/status/1405552653057368079?s=21

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

shoeberto posted:

marry someone who was born rich op

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

marry someone who was born rich op

Got it, divorce is the solution, txting my wife now

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
practicing piano has become a competition between the kids, they keep trying to show each other up. i love it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Stringent posted:

practicing piano has become a competition between the kids, they keep trying to show each other up. i love it.

positive feedback loops own. congrats 🍾

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Don't live in the US.

We once did the math for the gently caress of it, I'd prob make 3x what I do now nominally, but with 2 kids the standard of living would be about the same. With 3 it'd be a marginal step down.

shoeberto posted:

Childcare prices around here make it look like daycare is going to be roughly equal to our rent, but that's only because our rent is loving outrageous due to being in the NYC metro area. Trying to buy a house here has been an absolute poo poo show because apparently you have to have gently caress-you money to buy in 2021. We're having pretty serious conversations about moving to a cheaper COL area but my wife would have to find a new job for that to work out.

Mostly just bitching to bitch. We'll figure it out.

Right? You guys have figured it out? Right???
We'll make a commie outta you yet.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

happy father's day yospos

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

I spent it driving down the motorway complaining about the driving of everybody else as every dad should.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I spent it driving down the motorway complaining about the driving of everybody else as every dad should.
the great ghostdad dance. powerful medicine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Kenny Logins posted:

I went out for a couple beers at a brewery with my dad, while my son organized a rudimentary scavenger hunt for me when we got back. (the clues even rhymed :3:)