Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Remember to submit your goonweight picks!

Fights start in about 15 minutes!

CommonShore posted:

Gon break this down.

Rematches rematches rematches

Main Card (PPV)
Middleweight Championship Israel Adesanya vs Marvin Vettori
I do not remember much of the first fight and I don’t plan to rewatch it, but it’s on the basis that one judge gave the first fight to Vettori that he’s getting his title shot. Really, even if the judge who gave it to Vettori was a nut (Chris Lee, he sucks poo poo at judging), and despite that only two media scores went to Vettori, the first fight was competitive and that’s more than can be said about any of Adesanya’s other opponents before he got to the title picture. Adesanya is an A+ striker with enough wrestling to make it count. His last time out he got beaten up and outworked by light heavyweight champ Jan Blachowicz, Izzy moving up. Vettori is a decent striker (A-boxing maybe?) and has shown decent wrestling too. His last two fights have been against Kevin Holland and Jack Hermansson, and in both of those fights he basically showed that he’s there to fight and that he can outwork his opponent. That gritty toughness is probably Vettori’s top characteristic, and his most likely path to victory is trying to replicate Jan’s game plan: make the champ work, make him wrestle, and concentrate on winning rounds, especially late in the fight.

:frogsiren:Flyweight Championship Deiveson Figueiredo vs Brandon Moreno
Do I need to break this down? Just watch this fight. The first fight was some insane short notice title fight for both men. It was an explosive and amazing barn burner, and the best fight ever at 125 lb in the UFC, ending in a majority draw that immediately demanded a rematch. Go watch it. Deiveson is a dangerous everywhere fighter – powerful strikes and a good guillotine. Moreno is a grappling-based fighter but he has shown good striking as well. Both of these guys are super cool, and who knows how this will look with both of them having a full camp. The x-factor is how Deivison’s psychology will be given that he has had only limited access to his best friend Ferdinand, who he allegedly on the no-fly list and banned from the venue.

Welterweight Leon Edwards vs Nate Diaz
This is a 5-round non-headliner non-title fight. Leon Edwards is the welterweight title-contender in waiting, and he has been for a year. Covid has screwed him over badly resulting in tons of cancelled fights. His last time out he poked Belal Muhammad in the eye so bad that the fight ended and we were worried that Belal might have suffered permanent damage (he didn’t, allegedly). Nate Diaz makes his first appearance since the TKO cuts loss to Masvidal in the BMF belt thing. Do I need to break him down? He’s an antisocial crank with great hands and great jits, but also with glaringly obvious holes in his game. This match seems to exist to give Edwards some name recognition going into a rematch against Usman.

Welterweight Demian Maia vs Belal Muhammad
Maia is one of the greatest grapplers in MMA history, eclipsed in the UFC only by Charles Oliviera. His game plan is typically to work single legs to back takes and RNC them. He has won fights without landing strikes. Muhammad is a rounded fighter who is trying to punch through to the top tier. His last fight was an NC to Leon Edwards (noted above) but before that he was on a 4 fight streak.

Light Heavyweight Paul Craig vs Jamahal Hill
Craig is a Scottish grappler who has been good at pulling some wins out of his rear end over the years. He’s best known for his series with Shogun (that should tell you a lot about Craig’s level) and his 3-4:59 triangle of Ankalaev, who is good. Jamahal Hill is one of the surging and undefeated DWCS products. He knocked OSP silly last time. This is very clearly a gatekeeper fight for Hill.

Prelims ESPN/ESPN+
:siren:Lightweight Drew Dober vs Brad Riddell
Dober is a decent striker but he has a lot of work to do to convince anyone that he’ll ever be a title challenger. Last time out he showed that he is deeply flawed, as Islam Makachev just tossed him around like a toy and choked him out. Dober is good where he’s good, but he needs the right kind of opponent, someone who will be willing to strike with him even though he tends to KO other strikers. Brad Riddell is an Kiwi striker who loves to bang and has been in some fights of the night. What else do you want?

Light Heavyweight Eryk Anders vs Darren Stewart
Is this a rematch too? It is. This was an NC (Illegal knee) on the same one where Leon Edwards removed Wozzname’s cataracts. That fight was at middleweight; this one is at “I don’t feel like cutting” weight. Last time Anders was winning but like a moron KOed Stewart while he was grounded. Anders is a football based guy, and Stewart is a British banger.

Flyweight Lauren Murphy vs Joanne Calderwood
Anything to avoid giving Murphy a title shot. She is now on a 4-fight streak, last time just trouncing some late replacement with big BJJ credentials. Jojo is coming off of a win over Jessica Eye after losing her title shot to Jennifer Maia. Oh Murphy is pretty much a wrestler, whereas Jojo is a clinch-heavy muay thai striker.

:siren:Featherweight Movsar Evloev vs Hakeen Dawodu
This fight owns. Evloev is an undefeated Russian suplex machine. Dawodu is a Canadian striker on a 5 fight streak with some wins against grapplers.

Early Prelims (ESPN+/Fight Pass)
Bantamweight Pannie Kianzad vs Alexis Davis
Kianzad is a Swede who was the runner up on the featherweight TUF season. She has fought in Invicta and stuff too. She punches ok, and is on a streak of mostly forgettable decision wins. Alexis Davis is one of the big veterans of the women’s divisions at this point. She’s a BJJ black belt but she also brawls. She beat Sabina Mazo in February, snapping a 3 fight skid.

Featherweight Chase Hooper vs Steven Peterson
Hooper is mini Askren. He’s a lanky gumbly grapple kid who has scored a head kick KO but got outworked and outclassed by Alex Caceres. His last fight was a heel hook win in December. Peterson is a LFA/DWCS guy who is 2-3 in the UFC, but he scored a back fist KO that I don’t remember seeing back in 2019. Might be a good fight.

Fares Ziam vs Luigi Vendramini
One of my two tapology fights. Oh I remember Ziam. He’s a very young French kickboxer who is reasonably likeable. He won a decision over Jamie Mullarkey which some people disputed. Vendramini is a Brazilian with a 1-1 UFC record: a 2018 loss to Elizu Zaleski and a 71 second KO this past October

:btroll:Carlos Felipe vs Jake Collier
They call Collier Fatboy Fat. He was a tall lanky middleweight who said gently caress it and went up to the heavyweight limit. He brawls and often looks embarrassing. His last fight was a sloppy trash fight win over Gian Villante. Felipe is a Brazilian who weighed like 340 lb at age 14 and now manages to make 265. He is also a loving trashweight. His last fight was a lackluster decision win over Justin Tafa after which he celebrated as if he had won the world cup instead of apologizing to the world for having made us watch it. Trashweights.

:siren:Lighteweight Matt Frevola vs Terrance Mckinney
Mckinney is a late replacement here but he has won some very impressive KOs on LFA. Frevola is a boxing-based striker who I like and who has been in some good fights, especially against Lando Vanatta. I have no idea where on the card this is going to take place, but it’ll be a fireworks fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

hyped for these fights tonight

go nate

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hahaha they just straight up opened the broadcast with 2 dudes already in the cage

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

this is the fattest ufc fight ive seen in awhile

edit: important ufc update

https://twitter.com/outblssm/status/1403824444015923200

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 12, 2021

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Liteally

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

These are two very tired men

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Heavyweight is the most legible division because it is plainly apparent 80% of its fighters are people you never have to worry about evaluating for title contention

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
upset by how white Vendramini's nipples are

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Decent third round that

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Hooper looks like he was pulled out of a locker after getting hazed in high school and thrown into the octagon

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

ccubed posted:

Hooper looks like he was pulled out of a locker after getting hazed in high school and thrown into the octagon

https://twitter.com/dril/status/432616623225049088

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Hearing Rogan describing Hooper's 'body developing' was uh

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Interesting strategy by Hooper to pull guard and then just eat lots of shots

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I can't help but stair into the eyes of the doge

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

don't like not conor mcgregor throwing the glove touch punch

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

lol

oh no

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

What a sport, what a loving sport

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

oh my god

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

what the gently caress

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

lmao

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Honestly a bummer about the knee because that wasn't even a wild celebration or anything.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lol way to wreck the coolest finish of the night

artism
Nov 22, 2011

The vicissitudes of fortune

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Honestly a bummer about the knee because that wasn't even a wild celebration or anything.

yea every time a guy backflips off the cage I hold my breath, but he hardly did anything lol

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Not cool enough for Rogan's podcast apparently

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mam that sucks making ufc debut like that then getting sidelined for a while

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Am I smoking rocks or was Davis just wholly robbed (I am willing to accept the rock smoking answer)

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Am I smoking rocks or was Davis just wholly robbed (I am willing to accept the rock smoking answer)

You are not wrong. I had it 29-28 Davis.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

DoombatINC posted:

It's not really a robbery if you edge a very competitive 29-28

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
This crowd is pretty vocal.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
This is a weird crowd, all I've really heard from them is booing and silence.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
It sucks that crowds are back, imo.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The crowd for the last card was wild and raucous this one sounds like they were forced to attend.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

crowd sucks

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

More like Dawo-don't

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

The crowd for the last card was wild and raucous this one sounds like they were forced to attend.

Yeah the crowd is really bad tonight.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Goofballs posted:

crowd sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Calderwood has really figured things out recently"

She's at a 50% win/loss record for the last 2 years.