Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I don't know if it's just me but I found nearly every AA gun incredibly weak in the game with the exception of Battlefield 1.

It's like shooting nerf balls at planes and infantry.

The BF4 AA was very serviceable. The BF1 AA was outranged by every aircraft, and the ones on foot were sniper bait and can be destroyed.

BFV AA would be killed by any airplane even if you landed every single shot on the approaching aircraft and in fact most could fly straight and level over you and survive to go repair up out of bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

touches ear piece
I'm being told the A-10 is in fact cool

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Back in the late 70s there was a jokey yet informational coloring book for A10 pilots which assured pilots frontal gun attacks on T-62s (an old tank at the time, even) would be fairly useless.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/cold-war-coloring-book-taught-a-10-pilots-to-kill-soviet-tanks-a26385113bf0

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Julius CSAR posted:

Actually the dude on the left is correct though? Answer me this question, what is the point of getting slow on the deck to use a big dumb gun when you can safely and far more effectively drop a 500lb JDAM from 20,000 feet from platform that can respond much quicker and stick around the area far longer than an A-10 can?
Wait are you mad because you identify with the argument made by the dude on the left in a "goes brrrr" meme image macro in the context of a discussion of why the A-10 should be and will continue to be in videogames because it looks unique, is fun to fly, and sounds awesome, the latter of which is encapsulated by the meme image macro?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Chronojam posted:

The BF4 AA was very serviceable. The BF1 AA was outranged by every aircraft, and the ones on foot were sniper bait and can be destroyed.

BFV AA would be killed by any airplane even if you landed every single shot on the approaching aircraft and in fact most could fly straight and level over you and survive to go repair up out of bounds.

BF4 AA was okay when the game first came out but was eventually nerfed into near uselessness with the exception of helicopters.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Is someone actually angry at an airplane not even in the game lmao

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Planes

https://streamable.com/axb9o

have

https://streamable.com/0x5x2

reliable

https://streamable.com/45i1p

counters

https://streamable.com/bmtmx8

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

You forgot this one:

https://streamable.com/bqqaq

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

BF4 AA was okay when the game first came out but was eventually nerfed into near uselessness with the exception of helicopters.

Nah BF4 AA works wonders on pretty much anything that isn’t a wunderkind with JDAMs. They certainly nerfed its sniper capabilities with the 30mm and I think the Zuni rockets’ damage also got reduced against tanks but against something in the air it’s still good. And even if you find it hard to hit stuff with the cannon, or even if you can, you can equip the passive radar missiles and really make jets mad.

Infantry AA did never worked on jets though that’s for sure.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

:hfive:

A blend of skill, incompetence, and sheer dumb luck is the only way to play Battlefield

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Kibayasu posted:

Nah BF4 AA works wonders on pretty much anything that isn’t a wunderkind with JDAMs. They certainly nerfed its sniper capabilities with the 30mm and I think the Zuni rockets’ damage also got reduced against tanks but against something in the air it’s still good. And even if you find it hard to hit stuff with the cannon, or even if you can, you can equip the passive radar missiles and really make jets mad.

Interesting, maybe I'll have to pick it up again but that's not my memory.

I really, really, really want them to bring back the obliteration game mode. That was so much fun.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I mostly see BF4 AA turrets used on infantry

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

BF4AA had a missile they could choose which was basically unavoidable for a pilot since it was a fast dumbfire missile that homed in when it got near a plane giving it no warning or time to evade, I don't know if it was nerfed but it could clear the sky across the entire map from the spawn on some maps.

Kinkamache
Jun 12, 2021
I am glad they gone back to the real guns those WWII arsenal was terrible, explossion was not big enough for me

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Flannelette posted:

BF4AA had a missile they could choose which was basically unavoidable for a pilot since it was a fast dumbfire missile that homed in when it got near a plane giving it no warning or time to evade, I don't know if it was nerfed but it could clear the sky across the entire map from the spawn on some maps.

Active radar missiles have a pretty short range though I don’t remember if they started like that. I think they also increased the warning time jets and helicopters get. Passive missiles work better because they have the longest range, the highest damage, and most importantly you can shoot them with no lock or even the beginnings of a lock. Once you do lock on however for some reason missiles already in the air gain a massive increase in speed and maneuverability so unless someone is very quick on the countermeasures button or the missiles aren’t anywhere near them to begin with you are basically guaranteed to hit. Each missile does enough damage to cause a mobility hit.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah the passive ones were the strong ones, you could just shoot a bunch around the enemy plane at the other side of the dam map then lock them and it would usually disable their plane.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I don't know if it's just me but I found nearly every AA gun incredibly weak in the game with the exception of Battlefield 1.

It's like shooting nerf balls at planes and infantry.

That's because you're playing them wrong. AA guns are for mounting Zunis on and then going infantry/armor farming.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Again, you were using them wrong.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Was BF4 the one with the AA tanks that absolutely mutilated infantry? I honestly can’t remember.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

That's 2 but only for some of the factions.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Kibayasu posted:

The 30mm upgrade on the MAA just loving shreds little birds and I love it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Launch bf3 in noshahr canals rush the single defending maa could fend off the entire attacking force because they they had to cross a large stretch of water, it was nuts

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That and Kharg Island rush (an otherwise pretty good map) were incredibly poorly designed.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

Launch bf3 in noshahr canals rush the single defending maa could fend off the entire attacking force because they they had to cross a large stretch of water, it was nuts

gently caress yeah noshahr first cap was brutal. BF3 had a couple of those shootfests

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Dice , I beg you, just bring back noshahr canals tdm, my guns need parts

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

All I can say for Battlefield Hub is bring back Port Valdez cowards. :argh:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

Dice , I beg you, just bring back noshahr canals tdm, my guns need parts

The map Manifest is looking to be a spiritual successor to Noshahr and I can't imagine them not having TDM

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I just want the maps like Bad Company 2 where you can bounce off a mountain in a 4x4 like you’re in a DMX video

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Battlefield V has the Fliegerfaust which rules and completely invalidates the static AA.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The make or break for me will be if the guns feel more like 3 and 4 than 1 and 5. After Battlefront 1 came out something seems to have fundamentally changed with how they make their guns shoot/bullet travel time, everything from that point on just felt like star wars blaster bolts flying through the air very slowly instead of nice and snappy gunfire like before 2015. Battlefront 2 felt alright, so I'm hopeful.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blue Raider posted:

Was BF4 the one with the AA tanks that absolutely mutilated infantry? I honestly can’t remember.

From my recollection that tactic worked rather well in both Bad Company 2 and BF3 and probably works reasonably well in BF4 as well

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can absolutely do it in BF4. At launch you were to be able to do it at several hundred meters because the AA cannons had no reticule bloom - now you’re only relegated to up maybe 100 (it’s still more than enough).

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

The make or break for me will be if the guns feel more like 3 and 4 than 1 and 5. After Battlefront 1 came out something seems to have fundamentally changed with how they make their guns shoot/bullet travel time, everything from that point on just felt like star wars blaster bolts flying through the air very slowly instead of nice and snappy gunfire like before 2015. Battlefront 2 felt alright, so I'm hopeful.

BF1 has the best feeling gunplay of any Battlefield I think. The Level 1886 infantry felt like the perfect bolt action rifle, plus the Howell automatic was one of the best medic rifles in the game. I mained as a PTFO scout in BF1 and I don't know if any other BF will have the same feeling as that.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

before bf1 gun combat always felt terrible in battlefield games (and foot movement felt icy and unresponsive) it was a big step up IMO.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Qmass posted:

before bf1 gun combat always felt terrible in battlefield games (and foot movement felt icy and unresponsive) it was a big step up IMO.

While I agree Bf1 was a huge step up, I think the biggest improvement was BC2. I played BF1942, BF2, & BF Vietnam and they all had terrible gunplay (I never played 2142 but I imagine it had the same pitfalls of the original game), and it wasn't until BC2 that I felt like the game could stand up to other FPS games like COD in terms of shooting. BF3 & 4 were each better which led to BF1, which I still think is the king of FPS games, mostly because I'm extremely good at BF1.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

When they say ‘progression with bots’ does that mean your unlocks remain in online? Or is it only in offline?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Infantry level AA in BF4 being ineffective against planes never really felt important because they could never reliably target infantry; any effort you made to attack air in BF4 was more about doing a favour to your team'ss tanks and helis. When the air in BF1 became able to endlessly strafe infantry, especially on some of the more cramped maps, the lack of effective infantry AA became a lot more frustrating.

Orv
May 4, 2011

toggle posted:

When they say ‘progression with bots’ does that mean your unlocks remain in online? Or is it only in offline?

Progression earned in bot matches is real progession, yeah, it'll stay when you play online.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQJEXvieGLQ

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I wonder if an iteration of the AC-130 is going to reappear in BF2042.

Oh how I loved destroying that flying casket almost instantly after it spawned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Julius CSAR posted:

CAS is a mission not a platform and this absolutely dumb as gently caress dude

:qq: