Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Maybe a stupid question for most but is there a way to shut off the points popup on screen? I loving hate that in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Got my first commendation today :neckbeard: I got in a 1vs3 and killed 2 whirling like a tornado and swinging my halberd like a madman. Not sure how much of what I did was deliberate, but hey I will take it :v:

Chiv2 seems to be much easier to get into and do well than mordhau for some reason. I guess the held parry helps and the ability to not abuse it due to coming from there does help too, plus it is much more fun for some reason. Team objective or whatever it's called seems to work much better, unsurprisingly. Having TONS of fun trying the various weapons, they are different but not so much to have a huge learning curve and you can be effective from the start :black101:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the biggest thing I like over mordhau is that there's just less down time between chopping heads. remembering all the time spent running somewhere and only finding one enemy there etc. in mordhau.

occasionally it doesn't work perfectly - killing the heir is kind of a bitch with reinforcements instant joining the battle, but it's way better than the alternative

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Aardvark! posted:

the biggest thing I like over mordhau is that there's just less down time between chopping heads. remembering all the time spent running somewhere and only finding one enemy there etc. in mordhau.

occasionally it doesn't work perfectly - killing the heir is kind of a bitch with reinforcements instant joining the battle, but it's way better than the alternative

That last stage is hilarious, just EVERYONE is on fire and you just gotta KEEP SWINGING

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Some of the objectives are rear end, though. The one in Darkforest where one side has to get torches and burn a bunch of piles of wood on a bridge is the loving worst, regardless of which side you’re on. On offense you spawn a mile away from the target and have to spend ages running through the forest just to throw your stupid torch, die, and repeat, while in defense you have to stand around waiting for them to come running past you, and they don’t even need to get to the bridge, just within throwing distance.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Unlocked Engineer yesterday and the shovel and while I love the bonk I keep overestimating its reach.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

boz posted:

Unlocked Engineer yesterday and the shovel and while I love the bonk I keep overestimating its reach.

You gotta get all up in n their face with the shovel, just jab and kick and bonk away

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TorakFade posted:

Got my first commendation today :neckbeard: I got in a 1vs3 and killed 2 whirling like a tornado and swinging my halberd like a madman. Not sure how much of what I did was deliberate, but hey I will take it :v:

Chiv2 seems to be much easier to get into and do well than mordhau for some reason. I guess the held parry helps and the ability to not abuse it due to coming from there does help too, plus it is much more fun for some reason. Team objective or whatever it's called seems to work much better, unsurprisingly. Having TONS of fun trying the various weapons, they are different but not so much to have a huge learning curve and you can be effective from the start :black101:

grats!!!!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Looks like NA West servers just went down?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Had fun playing as the archer last night don’t tell anyone plz :blush:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
facking desgustang!!!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

As much fun as Chiv 2 is, it's still remarkable/mindboggling how the archer's sole role is to make the game worse.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Spear is great for someone like me who has shite awareness, if I'm only poking I don't need to keep dragging my FOV and have more of a shot at knowing wtf is going on around me. Also how the heck at people doing "heavy" thrusts/vert attacks? rebinding it to something other than mwheel?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Every FPS has to include snipers and every FPS is made actively worse by including snipers

Mr. Pool posted:

Spear is great for someone like me who has shite awareness, if I'm only poking I don't need to keep dragging my FOV and have more of a shot at knowing wtf is going on around me. Also how the heck at people doing "heavy" thrusts/vert attacks? rebinding it to something other than mwheel?

Mouse wheel up/down and then immediately press and hold left click. e: because the default is that left click is bound to both "slash" and "hold attack" i.e. "hold this after an attack to make it heavy"

megane fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 12, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Perestroika posted:

As much fun as Chiv 2 is, it's still remarkable/mindboggling how the archer's sole role is to make the game worse.

eh. I kind of accept goofy deaths as part of the charm of the big maps.

I just hope they allow private servers at some point to fulfill my tryhard dueling needs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
archers and snipers fulfill the same role as counterspell decks in CCGs or zoners in fighting games

it's actually insanely good and funny to be able to tell people "no" and gently caress with them from outside their ability to retaliate, and as long as they're mechanically balanced and counterplay does actually exist in fact, the frustration the mode of play itself causes, and the superficial impression of being untouchable when it works isn't a problem and in fact is an essential part of what makes them hilarious

it's also the mirror image of and inseparable from how much fun it is to bash an archer's skull in

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Mr. Pool posted:

Try using the basic knight longsword if you wanted to branch out a little bit. Throw all your knives and your secondary and then start poking away. Its pretty easy to use.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

megane posted:

Some of the objectives are rear end, though. The one in Darkforest where one side has to get torches and burn a bunch of piles of wood on a bridge is the loving worst, regardless of which side you’re on. On offense you spawn a mile away from the target and have to spend ages running through the forest just to throw your stupid torch, die, and repeat, while in defense you have to stand around waiting for them to come running past you, and they don’t even need to get to the bridge, just within throwing distance.

I kinda like this one because both teams are forced to play the objective. If the Agathians just let runners through it's a nothing speedbump, and if the Masons just try to fight their way in to clear the bridge they'll never stop because of the respawn timers/distance. You get a fuckload of points for doing objective activities, which makes torching stuff a great way to get class progress.

There's also a firepit you can grab torches from on the Agathian side of the bridge. If you can get past unnoticed you can clean up - I got 3 woodpiles in one life.

Perestroika posted:

I don't have a lot of time on archer but I found it works well to play close support with the longbow. Find a group of teammates and just follow them around, plinking away from like 10 feet away. You're close, so shots are easy to hit, and your mere presence lights an irrational rage in enemies, making you a distraction your teammates can capitalize on. Uncharged shots hit for like 25 damage, which is almost nothing, but repeated hits add up and are either just free bonus damage for your bros, or the enemy realizes they're being attacked by an opponent they aren't defending against. It also helps to be able to defend yourself with your melee weapon in a pinch.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

im the archer, gotta love me! *throws javelin in the back of a teammates head*

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

The purpose of archers is to draw the attention of aggressive players so I can get easy charge kills with my spear on the way to the main battle.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Roobanguy posted:

im the archer, gotta love me! *throws javelin in the back of a teammates head*

I defend my team's archers because it makes people on both teams mad

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

archers and snipers fulfill the same role as counterspell decks in CCGs or zoners in fighting games

it's actually insanely good and funny to be able to tell people "no" and gently caress with them from outside their ability to retaliate, and as long as they're mechanically balanced and counterplay does actually exist in fact, the frustration the mode of play itself causes, and the superficial impression of being untouchable when it works isn't a problem and in fact is an essential part of what makes them hilarious

it's also the mirror image of and inseparable from how much fun it is to bash an archer's skull in

The trouble is that on half the maps the counterplay functionally doesn't exist. The objectives are so close to the objectives that even if you do carve your way to the archers, you'll just get swept up by the next wave of enemies.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah and in several of the maps they can actually hit you and fire from zones where you're not allowed to be. I can't count how many times I've tried to rush an archer and my screen goes dark and tells me I'm in a no no zone and will commit seppuku if I hang out too long

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

i like playing the vanguard?? class and throwing those lil hammers at people. this game is very fun

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

40-Degree Day posted:

i like playing the vanguard?? class and throwing those lil hammers at people. this game is very fun

Throwing everything that you can get your hands on is a great way to play this game. Your main weapon, your secondary weapon, a chicken that crosses your path, a head that you chop off, really, never don't be throwing something to start or end a fight if you can help it.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

TorakFade posted:

Held block, jab and every class getting dodge is such a gamechanger in how it shuts down the Mordhau sweats from doing what they did to ruin the new player experience in Mordhau. The gimmick of Mordhau for most of the tryhards was to always force a panic/early parry with either feints, drags, throwing your mouse around while using a particular taunt animation to look like a feint, etc, then once you got the hit in you'd usually follow up with a 1 frame acceled combo that virtually no one could block (A lot of the hyperaccel weapons were two-shotters by the way). All while using bloodlust. But the tools Chivalry 2 gives you allows you to interrupt the flow of a good player so he doesn't completely dominate you. You'll still probably die to the sweat, but it's not going to be a complete stomp. You can always hold block and either wait for backup or bait kicks and counterattack.

Last night I caught a glimpse of a pro-Mordhau player streaming Chivalry 2 and you could tell he was a bit like a fish out of water without his drags and hyperaccels. He was trying all the tricks of his trade and some worked of course, but he wasn't really grasping that kicks and morphs/chiv feints are way more prevalent in chiv 2 and also that footwork is way more important now. Maybe all the sweats are just fishing for a particular mechanic to abuse, I don't know. Spotted some guys tonight mewling in chat about getting teamed up on and how it's Chiv is so casual compared to Mordhau. Translation: ":qq: Why can't 1vs5 some noobs with a bullshit mechanic? :qq:"

Chivalry 2 is fun. The Raider is ludicrously OP with how you can throw your dane axe and whip out a messer right after.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 13, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Theres nothing stopping you from grabbing a bow, refilling your naturally empty ammo counter, and getting easy headshots on enemy archers who don't move

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
At one point I managed to pick up a fish from a barrel and do some damage slapping people with it. Game of the year.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cerebral posted:

The purpose of archers is to draw the attention of aggressive players so I can get easy charge kills with my spear on the way to the main battle.
I have seen master duel bastards effortlessly dodge and weave through an entire burning bridge defense only to easily have the back of their skull caved in as they fail to finish off any of the archers on the back lines. Then they do it again. and again. Which of course means the archers are OP and ruining the match, not my sledgehammer :v:

At this point I'm pretty sure half the people spamming "Archers are scum" in chat are trying distract people from this sort of failure. That and all the knights and vanguards cowering in fear behind an archer pulling a knife and rushing into a brawl.

"Wow, great job clearing out the attackers guys... guys? Oh it's only the half dead archer still here with me."

Honestly my biggest gripes around archery are a more broad subject. The realization you can't go full captain America tackle because raising your shield means you can't tackle, and guys throwing their primary weapon or throwing axes at me are usually a bigger issue there. Denying me knocking people off cliffs countless times because the kick seems to have gently caress all knock back. My runner up is "Why don't archers deal more damage to archers?"

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah and in several of the maps they can actually hit you and fire from zones where you're not allowed to be. I can't count how many times I've tried to rush an archer and my screen goes dark and tells me I'm in a no no zone and will commit seppuku if I hang out too long

These zones seem terribly implemented in general because even having your back against a gate you are defending as your objective will trigger this warning. So that clearly isn't enemy spawncamp protection, it's our territory! :argh:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I have discovered the joys of playing archer and picking off downed enemies as they desperately try to crawl away and I'm not sure I can go back.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

The only thing I hate about archers is when they stop in a doorway immediately after spawning because they just have to get a shot off as soon as possible. A well-planted boot to the backside usually works, but I wish there was a specific taunt for just such an occasion.

The one thing I really despise in this game is fire, god I hate it so much. I hate standing there on a bridge like a goddamn doofus staring across the flames at my enemies, I hate just grazing it and being set on fire. I hate surviving a fire, getting charred, and then getting murdered by my own teammates. I really, really hate murdering my own charred teammates.

If there was a class that could carry a bucket of water and a loving pocket-knife, I'd play it exclusively so I could put out fires.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I hope they tweak the Mason VIP map. Having the stupid royal run down the timer in the corner is big zzzz time, and firebomb timers can be too long to coordinate a burnout with pubbies.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

I hope they tweak the Mason VIP map. Having the stupid royal run down the timer in the corner is big zzzz time, and firebomb timers can be too long to coordinate a burnout with pubbies.

needs easier access to those back door areas imo

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

After spending 500+ hours in Mordhau let me tell you if there was only one thing to appreciate Chiv 2 it's the fact it's nice to have those massive crowds of screaming blue and red blobs leaving piles of bodies towards an objective again like those first weeks of Mordhau's launch instead of everyone splitting up to do their sick sweatlord 1vXs or just farming kills with their naked maulrat.

That and having spears and shields actually feel nice to use again.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I really don't get the 2 handed spear with footman. The other weapons, I can kind of handle, but I'm utterly baffled by that spear.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
It's got relatively low damage for its size and speed but the fact that its swings are two different variants of thrusts makes it super hard to counter, and it's the longest-reach weapon in the game. It plays weird but it's actually super good and a great counter to sweatlords.

I say this as a sweatlord whose rear end is kicked by it frequently.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

beer gas canister posted:

I really don't get the 2 handed spear with footman. The other weapons, I can kind of handle, but I'm utterly baffled by that spear.

Just poke people and maintain range. If fighting multiple people force them all back by continuing to poke and alternating targets. When someone closes in on you your priority needs to be getting them away. If you have the time switch to your secondary because the spear isn't too great once they have range on you. Heavy attacks gently caress people up hard and really messes with their timing on blocking and counters.

It's probably my strongest weapon following that general line of thought and it's really good in 1v1s and as long as you can keep people in front of you you can fight essentially infinite people, but it's strongest when supporting a teammate from behind. Every time they lose out in the combat chain and are about to get hit, you're there to poke the dude in the toe or head to interrupt his attack. Just don't feed ripostes to them like a moron, be ready to jab them whenever they aren't blocking or can't block you.

Unlike most other weapons the biggest thing you have to be good at to gently caress up a spear user is your footwork, which most people are loving awful at, even if they're sweaty and really good at loving everything up in the rock-paper-scissors system. Blocking a spear doesn't get you closer, you can't really counter it effectively, you can't really pull off special attacks to drain the spear user's stamina (as long as they are trying to maintain distance instead of closing.) You just have to force a miss and then punish the miss with a free hit while stepping in on them.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 13, 2021

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

beer gas canister posted:

It's the best kiter, you keep an enemy at a distance with your stabs and "swings" (which come with a slight knockback to them even if they parry it). Pair it with backwards dashes and even other polearms are going to have trouble hitting you. Basically keep poking at them until they die while they flail uselessly trying to hit you.

Heavy stabs are especially useful in mobs when you can just poke over friendies' heads into the other teams heads since they do a lot of damage. As does the sprinting charge, so charging in from the flanks cans easily assassinate someone on the edge or the back. I would recommend staying away from getting into 1vXs since, no horizontal swing means ripostes lose their effectiveness, and with it, your effectiveness against multiple opponents.

Now the only thing I haven't figured out for it yet is its special attack, which just couches the spear, I haven't had anyone run into yet to even see what kind of damage it does. Honestly just makes me think it's only there for the horses that'll show up later.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Long as we're talking about it, any thoughts on the glaive? I just unlocked it and I'm not sure what to think of it. The complete lack of information on weapon stats doesn't help but it doesn't seem all that different from the halberd. Faster, sure, but despite the text I have a lot more success thrusting with it than with slashes.

I'm kind of spoiled by the polehammer though. That special attack just craters whoever it hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I think the glaive is strictly worse than basically every poleman weapon at the moment, though it has a niche on vanguard because it's a long pole weapon that they don't normally have access to.

It's fast but it does so little damage that it kinda sucks.