Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Warad posted:

Now the only thing I haven't figured out for it yet is its special attack, which just couches the spear, I haven't had anyone run into yet to even see what kind of damage it does. Honestly just makes me think it's only there for the horses that'll show up later.

I accidentally did it once just as an enemy was jumping at me from above and as he was falling I was like "hell yeah this is going to rule!!!" and he hit the spear and kinda bounced off it and he ran away :mrwhite:

I forget how quickly you get down in the position but I wonder if you could do it while someone's in your face. I guess they could always just sidestep you but if it's timed right maybe a way to get some damage in if they're relentlessly advancing on you after making some room with the basic poke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

mdct posted:

I think the glaive is strictly worse than basically every poleman weapon at the moment, though it has a niche on vanguard because it's a long pole weapon that they don't normally have access to.

It's fast but it does so little damage that it kinda sucks.

That's kind of the impression I got. It's a swordlike weapon that isn't as good as an actual sword.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I'm surprised to say that this is the only game I know where numbers can actually become a disadvantage - fighting 1vX in certain terrains is something of a gamble. Certain weapons don't seem to work well alongside one another also.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Really enjoying Chiv 2. I played the first one a bit, but bounced pretty hard off Mordhau. Something with the second is just clicking with me. I feel like I actually do things and not just die all the time. The spear on the Poleman is great. So is the war club on the Vanguard. The weapons with reach let me act as a second line and it does some work. Kiting people is good, too. Excited to see what they do with this one!

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 13, 2021

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

beer gas canister posted:

I'm surprised to say that this is the only game I know where numbers can actually become a disadvantage - fighting 1vX in certain terrains is something of a gamble. Certain weapons don't seem to work well alongside one another also.

Yeah, group fights are actually somewhat balanced in this game, especially if you're using the weapons better for it. It's a skill check, but counters on one person's attack can lead to an attack hitting someone else because they're not in perfect sync, and you can jump back and forth.

Just never let anyone get behind you.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Really helpful of the matchmaker in a TDM battle to shore up the weaker team with a herd of bots, so that the stronger team can slaughter them by the dozens and win even faster

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

Really helpful of the matchmaker in a TDM battle to shore up the weaker team with a herd of bots, so that the stronger team can slaughter them by the dozens and win even faster

Yeah after a while I realized all those easy kills weren't noobs but bots and I felt a bit cheated :smith: I hope user base goes up so we can get full lobbies, I blame epic exclusivity

Still fun. What do you guys think of 64 player vs 40 player ?

Orv
May 4, 2011
40 feels like the sweet spot, 64 just feels like chaos smash where your individual choices don't really matter much.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I prefer 40 players, 64 is just a neverending cycle of taking a couple swings and getting ganked from behind or just generally getting mobbed.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

TorakFade posted:

Yeah after a while I realized all those easy kills weren't noobs but bots and I felt a bit cheated :smith: I hope user base goes up so we can get full lobbies, I blame epic exclusivity

EPIC is why I'm hands off the game rn

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Isn't it cross-play with all the consoles though, too? I would've figured that would ensure a healthy population forever.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TorakFade posted:

64 players only for me. Embrace the chaos

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just love hitting the overhead special with the polehammer so much. This game really nails hit feedback between the sounds and loving heads exploding and that overhead smash is just :discourse:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ben Quebec posted:

EPIC is why I'm hands off the game rn

Same. Is there a Steam date yet?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Exclusivity is supposed to be for a year, and it'll be dead by then, so if you're skipping out on Epic you might just be waiting for Mordhau 2 lol

Haven't been a big fan of the service lately either since I installed it for Chiv 2. Not having a way to message people or join on their game from the friend's list or spectate them has been a small pain in the rear end, and I never thought I'd miss having dedicated built-in discussion forums for each game, but having to go to a subreddit to figure out issues is real annoying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SplitSoul posted:

Same. Is there a Steam date yet?

Usually it's a year of exclusivity unfortunately.

edit: and like Babe Magnet said yeah the game will also be dead unfortunately. I figured Chivalry sold easily well enough to support development of a sequel and then some but Epic has been paying out the nose and who's gonna turn down a guaranteed return. If it had come to Steam I coulda probably got my usual gaming crew on board but EGS makes that a no go.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chiv 2 might be able to stave off or dodge this genre's tendency to dwindle down to hardcores relatively quickly (much like it's adjacent genre Fighting Games) if they put out another weird DLC like the first game's Deadliest Warrior, or something out of left field like mod tools.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I entered into a fugue state and won my first FFA match with the Polehammer. A calm drone overtakes my senses as I smash skulls indiscriminately.

Game is real good ya'll.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just unlocked the Glaive and this thing rules???

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It feels like some of the multi-stage maps are too long overall. Like, there's no "I'll just play a quick game of Chivalry 2....". You got to be able to commit at least 20-30 minutes.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Imagined posted:

It feels like some of the multi-stage maps are too long overall. Like, there's no "I'll just play a quick game of Chivalry 2....". You got to be able to commit at least 20-30 minutes.

You can exit whenever, XP is awarded in real time.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

You can exit whenever, XP is awarded in real time.

Oh, so there's no penalty for quitting mid-match?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

beer gas canister posted:

if you're 1v2 it could potentially still be a stalemate if, due to terrain or other factors you can't flank him, if you're 1v3+ , even if you're all in front of him you should be able to interrupt him constantly if he's attack spamming or wreck his stamina->disarm if he's being defensive. If hes a shield knight and he's being turtle-y honestly just ignore him until he overextends and you can backstab him.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love this game but I think it would really benefit from some sort of ping system or better ways to direct your team towards certain objectives and such without chat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love this game but I think it would really benefit from some sort of ping system or better ways to direct your team towards certain objectives and such without chat.

Every multiplayer game should've ripped off Apex's ping system.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Nonstop yelling is my ping

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Chiv 1 at least had a designated voice command that had you shouting about the current objective, it kinda sounds like others do in incidental dialogue but it's usually so quiet you can't hear them over all the battlecries.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Groovelord Neato posted:

Every multiplayer game should've ripped off Apex's ping system.

Yeah exactly! I only cared about that game for about a week or two but I still remember how well they implemented that. I’m not much of a voice chatter thanks to general anxiety and wanting to just zone out and chill during mp and that sort of thing is so handy. I want to be a team player just let me do it via the controller please thanks :D

e: screaming button does make up for it tbh

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

There's a spot on coxwell on the second to last point that a defender can hide in that doesn't go out of bounds for the final objective. I haven't checked if the Masons can get back to it after their spawn passes it but it's pretty hilarious when they can't find the last one.

Imagined posted:

Oh, so there's no penalty for quitting mid-match?

Nope. It's TF2, not overwatch

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I worked my way up Vanguard looking forward to the Maul, only to find that I'm absolute garbage with it against anyone who is, a) facing in my direction b) conscious. I'm also garbage in a 1vX situation. It's probably just my timing, it's a completely different animal than the 2h spear and the Messer, which were the two weapons I had focused on previously, so if anyone has any sweet sweet Maul tips, I'd appreciate them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really tried to use that couched spear special and it would actually be useful if it didn't make you stand up any time you poke someone. I was hanging around corners or in chokepoints and would tuck down with the spear and was catching some people in it but it does 40 damage and forces you to stand up when you hit someone with it during which you're open to attack.

But for real for those of you talking poo poo on the glaive I have to wonder if we're using the same thing because I was absolutely tearing rear end with that thing. It's got the range/thrust ability of the spear but wide charged sweeps with it can lop heads off like nobody's business.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

explosivo posted:

I really tried to use that couched spear special and it would actually be useful if it didn't make you stand up any time you poke someone. I was hanging around corners or in chokepoints and would tuck down with the spear and was catching some people in it but it does 40 damage and forces you to stand up when you hit someone with it during which you're open to attack.

But for real for those of you talking poo poo on the glaive I have to wonder if we're using the same thing because I was absolutely tearing rear end with that thing. It's got the range/thrust ability of the spear but wide charged sweeps with it can lop heads off like nobody's business.

I don't even know what the spear special's theoretical utility is. It seems to only trigger if they are already well within stabbing range and it does below average dmg, it just saves you a click? but you can also get interrupted out of it like a normal attack? idgi . Thank god the spear sprint attack owns.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I feel like the couched spear pike defense mode is 100% a vestigial component of when they planned to have mounted/horse combat in the game.

Estel
May 4, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You gotta get all up in n their face with the shovel, just jab and kick and bonk away

I unlocked the shovel and it's amazing, i love the bonk. At first it was weird because it has a shorter reach than it seems but once you are used to it's reach it's really good. I went something like 16-0 in a game before i died. Lots of people don't know how to react when you dodge their first attack and hit them in the back of the head with a charged shovel attack.

AFistfulOfBitcoins
Feb 11, 2014
after you use the spear's special, you can press the button again to do little pokes without leaving the stance

idk if it makes the special any better but its there!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AFistfulOfBitcoins posted:

after you use the spear's special, you can press the button again to do little pokes without leaving the stance

idk if it makes the special any better but its there!

It still only does like 40 damage and then also makes you stand up. If you could stay there and jab people repeatedly that would be pretty cool but it's just not really worth doing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

I don't even know what the spear special's theoretical utility is. It seems to only trigger if they are already well within stabbing range and it does below average dmg, it just saves you a click? but you can also get interrupted out of it like a normal attack? idgi . Thank god the spear sprint attack owns.

It's basically a hard counter against people trying to tackle or sprint attack you, which can otherwise be a bit tricky to get the timing right for. Occasionally it can be useful to block doorways or ladders, too. But yeah, in practice it's kind of superfluous.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Perestroika posted:

It's basically a hard counter against people trying to tackle or sprint attack you, which can otherwise be a bit tricky to get the timing right for. Occasionally it can be useful to block doorways or ladders, too. But yeah, in practice it's kind of superfluous.

Ahh yeah, probably good for specials too that have impossible to guess range too *stares directly at field engineer sledge*

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
The shovel is downright vicious. It what the glaive should have been, not even joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'd love the shovel if it didn't break so goddamn easily.