Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's probably 9 people still playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
theyre all me

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Supposedly you need to throw a perfectly-aimed Illumina orb over to the left as you enter that room so it hits the crystalbloom and summons the Archipeligo Vivillon which somehow makes the Diancie’s gem explode, causing the Carbink to celebrate. I haven’t been able to get that part to work but it makes no sense at all so it must be true.

i got minorly obsessed with this request because even after everything this game has pulled, i legitimately could not believe it could be as stupid as whats described here. so i spent forever testing a bunch of ideas that would make more sense but maybe incidentally also be satisfied by hitting that crystalbloom over the wall or just other stuff players unknowingly did in the same run as doing that, like maybe lighting up enough crystalblooms in the course would impact the giant ceiling crystal you can scan in the request's section and that would energize diancie's spell (nothing, of course) since diancie's description mentions forging diamond out of air molecules and the ceiling crystal is described as being activated by the illumina phenomenon and tied to the flora there. i tried coaxing diancie out in the section directly prior under the assumption that maybe its spell there that triggers the alternate path would be practice for the real deal or whatever, but you can only spawn diancie in one section per trip.

i tried getting the carbinks out asap which is obnoxious as hell for the one behind the broken pillar, so id have more time to affect the events, but literally nothing makes any noticeable difference. not using any tool at any point, not having the carbinks performing specific actions or being in specific places at any point, not lighting the crystalbloom directly next to diancie as it performs the spell which isnt even possible without getting the carbinks out and running where they need to be early as gently caress. so in the end i chucked a few illumina orbs over the wall to the unseeable, unscannable crystalbloom that features in a completely separate route for summoning a completely arbitrary pokemon with zero connection whatsoever to anything concerning the carbinks or diancie or anything they do or are about or are described as involving (ditto the arbitrary pokemon who's just another vivillon pattern), and diancie proceeded to succeed in its spell and give me the request shot.

that's such apocalyptically bad puzzle design it genuinely leaves me at a loss for words. some of the poo poo in this game is legitimately among the worst ive ever seen. its loving stupefying.

Violen fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 4, 2021

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
on the complete opposite extreme of that ive put a bunch of combined time into lugia through the course of playing this chasing every stupid idea under the sun and i only now noticed theres a second crystalbloom just sitting there in the background...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That second crystabloom is very difficult to see. If you scan there’s also a Magikarp up there that you need for the research map if you’re insane like me and completing them all.

Lugia is tough, to get the 4* photo you have to hit it with a fluffruit while it’s leaving the cave and again when it swims over you shortly after. If you turn around and it does a spin that means it worked. It’ll then do a big pose to your left.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I need to get back into New Pokemon Snap, I got distracted by Dark Alliance and finishing up Trials of Mana. I have 198 Pokemon registered in my Photodex and Xerneas is 218 so I'm missing at least 20 Pokemon which is mind boggling to me since I have every stage at at least level 3 and have been through them multiple times.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i took a bunch of photos of that pose and had mirror remark on perfect timing and it didnt trigger the request. i looked up a video after bc i was stupefied and the video showcases the exact pose i was taking photos of which triggered the request. i then proceeded to do it 3 mores times with the same rough pose score and identical comments from mirror and the third one triggered it. this was after the hyper-involved engineering across an entire course to get steelix to hang out with and very particularly react to the noibat which was not the answer for the request about steelix being pals with and particularly reacting to loving noibat. not that either is really an exceptional bout of nonsense for this game but theyre the straw that broke the camel's back. i just cant give it the respect of more time investment despite how much i enjoyed the highs of the experience and the puzzle solving/design. the bullshit beat me. im formally throwing in the towel and looking up the remainder lol

im pretty happy with the journey through it overall, i hit 200 requests solved with only a handful that i had partially spoiled incidentally or just outright asked about, plus the lion's share of 1-4 star photos and other miscellanea like scan points and vivillon patterns and whatever else. i got all the alternate routes/individual pokemon with no outside info which is a complete miracle for some of them (thinking specifically of the one completely unremarked upon and unecessary log drop in jungle night specifically which happened through complete dumb luck). there's a few remaining requests i havent given a super fair shake and some star photos for pokemon i havent really explored much but honestly i'm tapped out on willpower but still want to see everything so im comfortable calling those casualties and looking them up anyway. after i finish the requests off im probably still gonna chill out through the stages anyway since im still not sick of that and still not running out of new poo poo to see from pokemon somehow just to see if i can manage any complete research maps on my own which im not remotely expecting lol, so who knows, that might fill in some more gaps as collateral

it's still gonna wind up being my personal goty i imagine just bc it's the definition of a dream game conceptually and they nailed all the poo poo they needed to. i wouldnt have bothered dumping in the time i did headaches and all to begin with if it wasnt

Violen fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 6, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I had to watch a video for the Steelix one, too. It’s super weird. Also it’s a 1* photo just to gently caress with you.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I need to get back into New Pokemon Snap, I got distracted by Dark Alliance and finishing up Trials of Mana. I have 198 Pokemon registered in my Photodex and Xerneas is 218 so I'm missing at least 20 Pokemon which is mind boggling to me since I have every stage at at least level 3 and have been through them multiple times.

There are 214 Pokémon total. There are some that are very well hidden and some that only appear on specific routes at research lv 3 so you have to go through multiple times. Especially the Cave since it has four different branching paths you can end the level with lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
after the first one i looked up involving a request that only unlocks after you open up a postgame route in an area where the solution turns out to not involve anything in or concerning the postgame route im confident in my decision

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Violen posted:

just to see if i can manage any complete research maps on my own which im not remotely expecting lol

I've completed all the research maps on the first island and both the jungle ones and let me tell you it's maddening. You have to take pictures of Pokemon you've taken a hundred pictures of before because the map will have one in a slightly different area and count it as somewhere new. I'll spoiler it so you don't see it but one of the biggest annoyances was the research building course where you have to take a picture of the Starly on the corner of the roof of the main building, as well as the ones in the tree near the entrance even though there's some right beside those locations, but they don't count for that spot on the map.

I did mostly figure out the maps I've filled out on my own, since there actually aren't any walkthroughs on how to fill in spots on the map. You can find pictures of completed maps on Serebii, which helps to an extent, but doesn't tell you how to actually get ones like the Yanmega right before the Toucannon tree in the jungle. There's a couple of ones with discussion about them online like the Pidgeot that appears between the two Hoothoots but for the most part you're on your own on how to get a Pokemon to appear in a spot even if you know one is supposed to be there.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There are 214 Pokémon total. There are some that are very well hidden and some that only appear on specific routes at research lv 3 so you have to go through multiple times. Especially the Cave since it has four different branching paths you can end the level with lol

Yeah I'm clearly missing a lot even though it doesn't feel like I am, hell my last time through the cave I just randomly happened to spot a Clefable that I hadn't seen on any of my other runs. I didn't know there were four paths in the cave, geez. That might be where I'm missing some of the Objects of Interest, like you get a research title for snapping a photo of every Ancient Ruin and I somehow still don't have them all.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
oh no

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i think the charmander request might actually be the equal of carbink's for stupidity

that's genuinely impressive

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Violen posted:

i think the charmander request might actually be the equal of carbink's for stupidity

that's genuinely impressive

That one is bullshit because you have to get 100% of Charizard in the shot but it can’t be the focus and of course your camera wants to make it the focus instead of Charmander, also the window is very small since they have to be jumping for it to be 4* :stonklol:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it can actually count as 3* or 4* i guess bc my 4* shots didnt pass the request but a 3* did. why? who knows

but i actually didnt even mean the fussiness of the actual qualification, i meant the fact that there are a billion ways to interact with and corral the charmander around this section to the platform and to have charizard change its complicated course around and confrontations w/ tyrantrum to get it to fly right by the charmander slowly plus a graveller you can knock down to block your path to buy you time, and all of this is totally meaningless bc the real answer is hit a crystalbloom so some lava lights up and no pokemon react to either of these at any point whatsoever, and then magically a couple minutes later a minimum group of charmander there almost by default will do something different when you play the flute than they'd do otherwise bc reasons

now THAT'S puzzle design

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
all the Snap mechanicschat is making me glad I didn't get it bc no matter how good the main gameplay is I know all of these design problems around completing tasks would've driven me insane

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
requests are just a hell of your own choosing lol they have no impact on the main game or any of its optional tangentials or a lot of the completionist poo poo you can do within it for that matter

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Requests are mostly hints for 3/4* shots of Pokemon which you need to complete your dex, a small few unlock stickers and frames and filters for your photos but if you don't give a poo poo about editing photos you don't need to care about them and even if you do you can just complete the ones with rewards and ignore the rest.

I assume there's a research title for doing every request though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Some of the Pokémon have 3*/4* photos outside of requests so they aren’t even necessary. There are 213 requests so nearly one per Pokémon, but again not all of them are required for 3*/4* photos. And you might even accidentally get the photo for a request your first run through a stage, and since the request won’t pop up until after the level it won’t count lol at that point why even bother.

And yes I did do all of the requests and am very close to maxing out the photodex and research maps. I read online that somebody datamined the game and found evidence of more Pokemon so here’s hoping we get DLC. I heard it sold pretty well already.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zyxyz posted:

all the Snap mechanicschat is making me glad I didn't get it bc no matter how good the main gameplay is I know all of these design problems around completing tasks would've driven me insane

It’s just a return to classic Nintendo level design

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I respect it because the #1 thing people would've been ready to complain about is it being too short and casual. Instead you can sink 100 hours and not quite get everything. I stuck around for 15ish hours, had my fill.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So they've been making more Poketoons and this one is just gorgeous anyone know who they got to make this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxWfBVJhzs

(This video has english subs through youtube's CC btw)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Electric Phantasm posted:

So they've been making more Poketoons and this one is just gorgeous anyone know who they got to make this?

This is extremely good. I love that we get a backstory to the intro animation from Pokemon Red

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

They really need to fix it so Nidoking/Nidoqueen can actually breed.

Edit: Breeding with ditto doesn't count.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The last Pokémon I need on the research map for Snowfields (night) is Frosmoth, specifically the one that’s next to the Piplup and Delibird that you can find on the first branching path. There’s a Frosmoth on the tree with the Snom in it, where Piplup can pop out of, but apparently it isn’t that one. I am at a loss.

I also can’t figure out how to make Sandslash do the thing for its 4* photo because the game hates me.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dienes posted:

They really need to fix it so Nidoking/Nidoqueen can actually breed.

Edit: Breeding with ditto doesn't count.

Nidoking can breed just fine, it's Nidorina/Nidoqueen that can't. That's been around since Gen II and it seems Gamefreak has no intention of fixing it, hell in Gen V they made it so that breeding in the Nidoran line can produce either male or female offspring but still didn't fix Nidorina/Nidoqueen, so even if it was originally a glitch they seem to want to make it intended behavior for some reason.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Its real strange since they literally changed the egg groups of five other families for Sword and Shield.

The Ralts family can now breed with Human-like Pokemon in addition to Amorphous Pokemon
Trapinch, Vibrava and Flygon line can now breed with Dragon Pokemon in addition to Bug Pokemon
Hawlucha can now breed with Flying Pokemon in addition to Human-like Pokemon
Bergmite and Avalugg can now breed with Mineral Pokemon in addition to Monster Pokemon
and Noibat and Noivern can now breed with Dragon Pokemon in addition to Flying Pokemon

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The last Pokémon I need on the research map for Snowfields (night) is Frosmoth, specifically the one that’s next to the Piplup and Delibird that you can find on the first branching path. There’s a Frosmoth on the tree with the Snom in it, where Piplup can pop out of, but apparently it isn’t that one. I am at a loss.

I also can’t figure out how to make Sandslash do the thing for its 4* photo because the game hates me.

that's bc the devs hosed up the map, that frosmoth and another one in the course had their triggers swapped

this is also the case w/ a pair of furrets where one being chased by a weavile in the first alternate route triggers an icon for the one chased around by the mightyenas and vice versa

idk what it is with snowfields

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
for sandslash there's a couple of them in that first alternate route so try looking for another one and leading that one around

its final spot should be in front of a snowmound up against the cliff face a bit to the right of the entrance to the second alternate route, that's where it'll stop digging around and give you the 4* pose if you illuminate it

that ambiguity is such a killer for convoluted behaviors lol, no functional reason why pokemon 6 of 11 in a group will arbitrarily react to stimulus none of the others will. one of the most egregious is when there's a whole school of chinchou swimming and hitting one and ONLY one of them with an apple will make it detour like 30 seconds later to a crystalbloom to set up the 4* photo for the whole group while hitting any of the others, behaving completely identically and heading to identical places as the one you have to hit, will cause zero reaction. like, glitched ai-feeling lack of reaction, not even a flinch.

it feels so awful

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nidoking can breed just fine, it's Nidorina/Nidoqueen that can't. That's been around since Gen II and it seems Gamefreak has no intention of fixing it, hell in Gen V they made it so that breeding in the Nidoran line can produce either male or female offspring but still didn't fix Nidorina/Nidoqueen, so even if it was originally a glitch they seem to want to make it intended behavior for some reason.

That's my point, thanks.

Its weird seeing an entire official cartoon around them being able to breed with each other when they can't in the games, and its an easy fix.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Hardware question: I have a HG version (Gen IV), and my original White DSlite finally crapped out. While I have parts to fix it, I'm also looking at getting a new(er) one so I can do some self-trades, and for my kids down the line. Are DSlites usually sold on ebay legit, or are they massive bootleg scams like most DS games you can find on ebay. The prices for most DSlites seem to be between $50 and $75.

I'd chalk up the cheapness of a DSlite up to the fact they've been replaced by so many better versions of the DS since then, whereas games just get rarer and rarer over time, but I want to know if it's safe to buy one or if it's too risky.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Violen posted:

for sandslash there's a couple of them in that first alternate route so try looking for another one and leading that one around

its final spot should be in front of a snowmound up against the cliff face a bit to the right of the entrance to the second alternate route, that's where it'll stop digging around and give you the 4* pose if you illuminate it

I was sure I was doing exactly what you’re saying. The Sandslash pops up when you scan and you have to get it to move to its final spot near the second branching path and… hit it with an orb? Do you hit the ground while it’s underground to get it to pop up? Do you hit it while it’s in the air? It’s very unclear.

Edit: it’s the Sandslash that pops up on your LEFT not the one on your right :doh: gently caress you game

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 12, 2021

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
It is possible to catch a level 12 salamence in 7th gen via sos chaining the bagons on route 3. Is there anything particularly special about those salamence beyond the fact that you have a salamence to roll literally the entire game with?

quote="Crazy Joe Wilson" post="515427192"]
Hardware question: I have a HG version (Gen IV), and my original White DSlite finally crapped out. While I have parts to fix it, I'm also looking at getting a new(er) one so I can do some self-trades, and for my kids down the line. Are DSlites usually sold on ebay legit, or are they massive bootleg scams like most DS games you can find on ebay. The prices for most DSlites seem to be between $50 and $75.

I'd chalk up the cheapness of a DSlite up to the fact they've been replaced by so many better versions of the DS since then, whereas games just get rarer and rarer over time, but I want to know if it's safe to buy one or if it's too risky.
[/quote]

I wouldn't expect the system themselves to be bootlegs as those are way harder to fabricate than buying shovelware and reflashing it. 3ds's are apparently on the more expensive end, I'd guess that's why ds's are reasonable.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 13, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the anime, it took 70 episodes for Team Rocker to finally catch a Pokémon in this series, is that a record for this franchise?

Hopefully they’ll rein in its eating habits slightly more in the future now (or at least try to find some way to control Morpeko’s transformation somehow). I’m hoping James actually uses it in battle at least a bit now too

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

In regards to the anime, it took 70 episodes for Team Rocker to finally catch a Pokémon in this series, is that a record for this franchise?

Hopefully they’ll rein in its eating habits slightly more in the future now (or at least try to find some way to control Morpeko’s transformation somehow). I’m hoping James actually uses it in battle at least a bit now too

Took Lana 99 episodes to get her second pokemon
Mallow took 108

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Larryb posted:

Team Rocket is known for having super good control of unruly Pokémon and not doing things like popping out of their poke ball whenever they feel like it or assaulting their trainer as a running gag so this will probably happen I agree

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Team Rocket is known for having super good control of unruly Pokémon and not doing things like popping out of their poke ball whenever they feel like it or assaulting their trainer as a running gag so this will probably happen I agree

Ok, maybe that’s a bit too much to ask for but I hope they at least use it in battle every so often as opposed to relying on the gacha machine all the time.

Though I will say that as far as I remember Jessie hasn’t ever really had much of a problem controlling her Pokemon, it’s James that usually gets the short end of the stick in that regard.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 13, 2021

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oyster posted:

It is possible to catch a level 12 salamence in 7th gen via sos chaining the bagons on route 3. Is there anything particularly special about those salamence beyond the fact that you have a salamence to roll literally the entire game with?

Not that isn't inherent to being level 12. Honestly it will have pretty bad level-up moves for a while, though it has some better TM compatibility than Bagon.

Larryb posted:

Though I will say that as far as I remember Jessie hasn’t ever really had much of a problem controlling her Pokemon, it’s James that usually gets the short end of the stick in that regard.

Less "hard time controlling" and more "they really like cuddling and are kind of hazardous to cuddle" usually

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True. I forget, who caught Wobbuffet way back when (or did it join through some other means) and why is it that it’s remained TR’s only mainstay Pokemon besides Meowth?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Larryb posted:

True. I forget, who caught Wobbuffet way back when (or did it join through some other means) and why is it that it’s remained TR’s only mainstay Pokemon besides Meowth?

Jessie accidentally traded it for her Lickitung, and it stuck around, I assume, because of the pun nature of it saying its name, which did not carry over into English at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, doesn’t its Japanese name mean “that’s right” or something along those lines?

Though to be fair, I’m not sure what English name you could come up for it that preserves the original pun.