Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

dr.acula posted:

I'm crossing my fingers for Command and Conquer Tiberium Sun or Red Alert 2 remasters being announced

I want them in the same package for $19.99 and no I am not being unreasonable :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i dunno if anyone on this planet but me cares but a few more no more heroes pc woes:

-there's a series of assassination missions which you just need to hit a baseball and which flies in a straight line that kills a bunch of dudes, in the original wii version by swinging the controller like a bat. the number of dudes you kill had two components: timing, and force/speed of the swing pulled by the accelerometer. in moving to a button based attack for the port their apparent solution to not having a motion component was: ignore it. now in the original switch release this could at least be mitigated by turning on motion controls, but since the pc just straight up doesn't have that you can't kill more than 4 dudes in one swing, making getting a gold on the later baseball missions nearly (if not actually) impossible.

-i absolutely swear, but cannot prove, that the 60fps unlock is loving with AI patterns and hit detection, ala the 60fps hack for the original dark souls port causing you to fall through the floor all the time, or the 60fps for the resident evil 4 pc port making chickens poo poo golden eggs constantly. the most concrete example of this i can give is winning a weapon clash with shinobu, where she will happily dodge away/over you before the freebie deathblow swing even comes out. it's been 10 years since i played the game though, maybe i just don't remember her being able to do that.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 12, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bees x1000 posted:

I want them in the same package for $19.99 and no I am not being unreasonable :colbert:

I’d pay 30, the remasters of the originals are 20 and the sequels are way beefier.

Hell, put the ex packs in and I’d pay 40.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright, now that the majority of the indie side of E3 has been shown off (there is still ID@Xbox, Upload VR, Future Games Show and Devolver left), here are games shown at E3 that either have demos or WILL have demos in the Steam Next Fest

Already Have Demos:
AK-xolotl (Top-down twin-stick bullet hell shooter)
Octarina (3D platformer with awkward-controlling octopus. NOT OCTODAD!!! completely different!!)
UnMetal (MGS parody by the UnEpic dev)
Toodee and Topdee (A sidescrolling protagonist is aided by a top-down protagonist)
Button City (cute game about saving an arcade, the arcade of course has games-within-a-game to play)
Freshly Frosted (conveyor belt puzzle game about frosting donuts)
Letters - a written adventure (Story game with mild puzzling about pen pals)
Frogsong (isometric zelda-y game with a tiny frog)
Apico (a life sim game about beekeeping)
Game Director Story (CYOA sim about being a game designer)
No Longer Home (story game about 2 non-binary roommates dealing with life after college)
Demon Turf (3D platformer with large moveset)
Severed Steel (fast-paced FPS with slo-mo, wall jumping, stunts)
Despot's Game (roguelite autobatter)
Potion Craft (potion-making game! you make potions and sell 'em and fulfill requests)
Trash Sailors (co-op raft game where you collect trash from the ocean to use as crafting material for fuel, repairs and weapons as you try to survive)
King of the Hat (multiplayer arena platformer)
Venice 2089 (hoverboard around in future Venice, despite that it's more of a story game than EXTREME SPORTTTTSSS)

Will Have Demos:
Industria (HL2 inspired shooter)
Tracks of Thought (Story game on a train, with card-based 'dialog' battles)
Please Be Happy (Yuri VN by Heart of the Woods dev)
I Expect You to Die 2 (VR spy game sequel)
The Big Con (90s-aesthetic isometric adventure)
Rainbow Billy (3D platformer)
Road 96 (CYOA road trip story game)
TOEM (extremely cute photography game)
Haven Park (short life sim style game)
Sable (Mobius Breath of the Wild)

If there are more that get shown/announced in the next couple of days I'll either amend this post or make a new one with proper links. the Next Fest isn't until the 16th regardless

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The 7th Guest posted:

Alright, now that the majority of the indie side of E3 has been shown off (there is still ID@Xbox, Upload VR, Future Games Show and Devolver left), here are games shown at E3 that either have demos or WILL have demos in the Steam Next Fest

If there are more that get shown/announced in the next couple of days I'll either amend this post or make a new one with proper links. the Next Fest isn't until the 16th regardless

Think they said that Tunic will have a new demo, too.

Couple neat looking new listings from the Devolver thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150530/Wizard_with_a_Gun/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1370050/Trek_to_Yomi/

Also Death's Door launches July 20th and has a 15% off sale until then

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

dr.acula posted:

I'm crossing my fingers for Command and Conquer Tiberium Sun or Red Alert 2 remasters being announced

I dunno, I thought about this. You think they'd bother paying royalties to all the big names that were in the cutscenes? I mean, gently caress me, you had Micheal Biehn, James Earl Jones, and of course the star of everything Joe Kucan

I mean, other than that, A thousand loving yeses I want to play a Remastered version of TS and RA 2. Lemon Sky Studios and Petroglyph knocked it out of the park with TD and RA1 in terms of quality. Still miffed about how goddamn authetically dumb the harvesters are though

Oh boy! What a cheerful game. Actually enjoyed the whole thing and this plus VA11-HallA are my introduction to Visual Novel type games

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 12, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Weird game rec:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229030/A_Hand_With_Many_Fingers/
https://colestia.itch.io/a-hand-with-many-fingers

quote:

A Hand With Many Fingers is a first-person investigative thriller. While searching through a dusty CIA archive you uncover a real Cold War conspiracy. Every document you find has new leads to research. But the archive might not be as empty as you think…

Slowly unravel a thrilling historical conspiracy
Discover new clues through careful archival research
Assemble your theories using corkboard and twine
Experience a story of creeping paranoia

HOW DOES IT WORK?

The archive is sorted by name, date, and location. Finding new clues requires all three pieces of info (e.g. Frank Nugan, 1980, Australia). Every detail you need to know is hidden somewhere in the archive. But you’ll only find them if you know who was involved, when it happened, and where it took place. Average playtime for the game is around 1-2 hours.

Actively putting files on the corkboard and following leads and thinking about this conspiracy is really, really compelling and I'm learning about something that actually happened. Folks should check this out.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

Weird game rec:

Actively putting files on the corkboard and following leads and thinking about this conspiracy is really, really compelling and I'm learning about something that actually happened. Folks should check this out.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. It caught my attention a while back but I forgot about it until you mentioned it. Open ended investigation isn’t something that games often do well, so I’m very interested to see how it plays.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

StrixNebulosa posted:

Weird game rec:

Thanks for this! The corkboard intel minigame in Phantom Doctrine was pretty fun and I wanted more of that sort of thing (and less dossiers with identical info except for the names).

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
From the description, it sounds like the game would scratch a similar itch as Obra Dinn did in putting combinations of info together. How true is that?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I can't tell if it's more of a Dibalo-like where you actually have a lot of customization over how you build your characters skill/moveset or more of a standard MMO where each person playing the same class will basically have the same skills and the only differences are based off equipment.

Lost Ark is the combat of an ARPG like Diablo but it's the game design of a MMORPG, including how gear and progression in general work.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Weird game rec:

I gave this a buy. Corkboards and following leads sounds really compelling. Thanks for the rec!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my big issue with it was that it was pretty short :X

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

these Baba Is You levels where you can only move like 2 things and I still can't figure it out are killing me

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A new Pacify map dropped today and it's thoroughly spooking my friends and I.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

bees x1000 posted:

these Baba Is You levels where you can only move like 2 things and I still can't figure it out are killing me
If more people are playing Baba thanks to the bundle then this should probably get posted:

https://www.keyofw.com/baba-is-hint/overworld

Fantastic website for when you're just completely loving stuck. It has gradual hints for every level that start with gentle nudges and end with outright telling you the answer.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Master_Odin posted:

From the description, it sounds like the game would scratch a similar itch as Obra Dinn did in putting combinations of info together. How true is that?

I haven't played Obra Dinn (planning on fixing that soon) but I would say yes, it scratches a similar itch. I don't want to spoil anything, but I pieced together someone's identity and had it confirmed a few boxes of intel later. There are also missing files, but there are also locked doors so I'm assuming some things are being hidden away.

I like the corkboard (though I need another one, been having to stick small notes along the border of the map) and the way the boxes pile up as you get further into the investigation.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If more people are playing Baba thanks to the bundle then this should probably get posted:

https://www.keyofw.com/baba-is-hint/overworld

Fantastic website for when you're just completely loving stuck. It has gradual hints for every level that start with gentle nudges and end with outright telling you the answer.

Be warned that some of the answers to these puzzles are now out of date as the game changed to avoid unintended solutions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
backbone was looking like a solid entry in the bewilderingly well-populated "noir but furries" subgenre but then it pissed down its own leg with a last-act twist that would have needed twice as much runtime to have a chance at working

if it was meant to be a sequel hook, that's a shame, because the twist plus the relatively high price doesn't seem to be going over well

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you played The Church in the Darkness? It's cheap right now and has mixed reviews and the negatives mostly seem to be that the game isn't super deep and is mainly a shallow stealth game with some randomized elements.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Any of you played The Church in the Darkness? It's cheap right now and has mixed reviews and the negatives mostly seem to be that the game isn't super deep and is mainly a shallow stealth game with some randomized elements.
I haven't but it's in the Palestine bundle if you got that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Oxxidation posted:

backbone was looking like a solid entry in the bewilderingly well-populated "noir but furries" subgenre but then it pissed down its own leg with a last-act twist that would have needed twice as much runtime to have a chance at working

if it was meant to be a sequel hook, that's a shame, because the twist plus the relatively high price doesn't seem to be going over well

I played it on Gamepass and I was still mad at how bad the ending was.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The 7th Guest posted:

even though DDLC is just reheated higurashi but with clumsy handling of depression and mental illness

It's nothing like Higurashi, what.

ymgve posted:

how would even DDLC work on the switch with the meta-narrative stuff? gotta jailbreak the console to free Monika?

You can see a bit in the trailer, there's a virtual desktop environment kinda like Hypnospace or Tech Support Error Unknown.

..or, if you prefer, the extremely bad Austin Powers GBC games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

..or, if you prefer, the extremely bad Austin Powers GBC games.

The what?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHdc6NLjMZA

There was one for Austin and one for Dr Evil.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FirstAidKite posted:

it's fine

i was hoping for something much deeper but i won twice and felt pretty happy with my experience

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've been plugging along in FFIX, and it's pretty straight forward in that it's a 90s era jrpg, meaning tons of missable important items and weird requirements to 100%, which isn't even technically possible since you have to speedrun the game in 12 hours to get one of the ultima weapons, tons of confusing abilities/job/class stuff, and a card game that is ludicrously over-complicated and completely divorced from the game's progression aside from a single story forced event.

The graphics mod is amazing though, and it looks like a nice PS2 game that didn't really age that badly because they went from a deliberate low quality artistic style.

I kind of get why FFIX is much more of a niche game compared to either of the PSX era FF games. They tried to turn the clock back from brooding sci-fi anime gun/sword boys to a somewhat light hearted classic fantasy romp and given that FFX went immediately back to the same well of success I'd say they just gave up on that direction. FFIX "merely" sold 5.6 million copies compared to the other two PS ones selling 10+ million and FFX selling 8.5mil.

The release dates for the PSX-PS2 era FF games are insane though

1/31/97 for FFVII
2/11/99 for FFVIII
7/7/00 for FFIX
and then 7/19/01 FFX

And these 4 games have been held up for over 20 years as some of the best in the genre.

FFXV took nearly 10 years to make.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 13, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A lot of the development on those was concurrent - 9, 10 and 11 were announced at the same time in Feb 2000

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

pentyne posted:

The release dates for the PSX-PS2 era FF games are insane though

IX, X, and XI were also all announced at the same event

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

pentyne posted:

FFXV took nearly 10 years to make.

Don't forget that FFXV started off as part of FFXIII's fabula nova thing along with FFXIII and FF Type 0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

also ff15 did not take ten years to make, the final product's dev time was more like three

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, XV had an absolutely hosed development cycle. I doubt XVI will take anywhere near the same time, I might even guess a 2023 release. Maybe 2022 if you want to be optimistic.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of my favorite stories about XV's development was when Nomura saw the film version of Les Mis and was denied his request to convert or redo XV as a musical

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

One of my favorite stories about XV's development was when Nomura saw the film version of Les Mis and was denied his request to convert or redo XV as a musical

this is an absolute travesty. i can only imagine how amazing this would have been

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more games should be musicals

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

While we're talking FF, is 13 worth taking a swing at? I enjoyed all of the other mainline non-MMO ones, but I've had like three separate attempts at starting 13 and I've never gotten past the first few hours. I enjoyed the combat fine, and it looked cool, but last time I bounced off it I think I was 3+ hours in and still had no clue who any of these assholes were or what the gently caress was happening.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Omi no Kami posted:

While we're talking FF, is 13 worth taking a swing at? I enjoyed all of the other mainline non-MMO ones, but I've had like three separate attempts at starting 13 and I've never gotten past the first few hours. I enjoyed the combat fine, and it looked cool, but last time I bounced off it I think I was 3+ hours in and still had no clue who any of these assholes were or what the gently caress was happening.

That doesn't change no matter how much of it you play. I completed it and don't remember a drat thing about the plot. It was very pretty though!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omi no Kami posted:

As long as you're in it for the combat and not the story which oscillates between incomprehensible and aggressively stupid.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I really tried to get into FF13, but repeatedly doing nothing but moving forward to have a fight and then watch some cutscenes didn't feel much like playing a game to me. I still have it in the back of my head that I'll get back into it someday since I've heard the sequels are better, but I have no idea where I was in the plot at this point, and I'd probably just run into the same issue with the gameplay again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

I recommend not playing 13 if that plot aspect bothered you!

However, if you want the 13 style gameplay, but with more likable characters and a plot that, while still silly, is not filled with assholes, then try getting 13-2 on discount :)