Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Can anyone recommend some atmospheric suspenseful horror movies that don't rely on cheap "jump scares"? Movies that rely on plot/setting/atmosphere to make it scary instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
turn off your monitor

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
boo!

hahaha just kidding around

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

wake in fright will give you a spook for sure.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Hereditary, Midsommar, It Follows (Kind of)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I liked Unfriended a lot for this. There are jump moments showing off the kills but the primary source of the horror is unraveling how absolutely despicable people who called themselves 'friends' of the avenging ghost and believe themselves to be normal teens are when they get the tiniest incentive to gently caress other people over. The ghost's work isn't pretty but goddamn is it just.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
pump & dump scares

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
btw it's called blumhouse cause it's a mixture of blood + c*m

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Wizard Master posted:

Can anyone recommend some atmospheric suspenseful horror movies that don't rely on cheap "jump scares"? Movies that rely on plot/setting/atmosphere to make it scary instead

The Sentinel. Go in as fresh as you can because it's one of those movies that just gradually ramps up the weirdness. There's a few movies called The Sentinel, this one is from 1977. I'd also say The original 1974 Black Christmas. I can come up with all kinds of poo poo. You can PM me if you want a long rear end list of movies that fit.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 13, 2021

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
A Dark Song is fantastic if you're into occult horror - a good, slow build that ends on a note unusual for horror films.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

CPL593H posted:

The Sentinel. Go in as fresh as you can because it's one of those movies that just gradually ramps up the weirdness. There's a few movies called The Sentinel, this one is from 1977. I'd also say The original 1974 Black Christmas. I can come up with all kinds of poo poo. You can PM me if you want a long rear end list of movies that fit.

Why not post the long rear end list here?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bula Vinaka posted:

Why not post the long rear end list here?

I tend to make lists that can de daunting and I figured it might be easier to have a back and forth with the OP via PM to help narrow it down. I also just remembered there's a thread superficially for this in cinema discusso.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891340

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
The best one is We Need to Talk About Kevin, masterfully made horror film.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Turpitude posted:

yeah i fully endorse this. scariest movie since 'the ring' when i was 12

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turpitude posted:

It's not scary it's just sad and kind of gross. I can see maybe why one might call it a horror movie but it's really not.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Babadook was very unpleasant movie to watch

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

It's not scary it's just sad and kind of gross. I can see maybe why one might call it a horror movie but it's really not.

it's way more of a horror movie than any of the conjuring/insidious/cgi spooky ghost genre movies have to offer

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Others is very scary.

Poltergeist, too.

Hope this helps.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

it's way more of a horror movie than any of the conjuring/insidious/cgi spooky ghost genre movies have to offer

That's mainly because they're bad movies. If we're just counting movies where disturbing poo poo happens we could call just about anything a horror movie. We Need to Talk About Kevin doesn't really use or display any of the conventions used in horror movies. There's no creeping unease (which is what I consider to be essential for an atmospheric horror film) because right from the get go we pretty much know exactly what to expect. It does have an escalation for sure but with one exception we're never really surprised at where it goes. I wouldn't say it's not worth watching because it is (not lightly). But I don't think it really fits what kind of thing the OP is probably looking for. It's disturbing not scary.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Pulvis Sumus posted:

A Dark Song is fantastic if you're into occult horror - a good, slow build that ends on a note unusual for horror films.

this movie rules. i don't think it nearly lives up to its potential but i'm not one of those people that hate the ending either. pro watch if you have ocd and enjoy meticulous rituals

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

That's mainly because they're bad movies. If we're just counting movies where disturbing poo poo happens we could call just about anything a horror movie. We Need to Talk About Kevin doesn't really use or display any of the conventions used in horror movies. There's no creeping unease (which is what I consider to be essential for an atmospheric horror film) because right from the get go we pretty much know exactly what to expect. It does have an escalation for sure but with one exception we're never really surprised at where it goes. I wouldn't say it's not worth watching because it is (not lightly). But I don't think it really fits what kind of thing the OP is probably looking for. It's disturbing not scary.

the first time i watched it i had no idea why everyone was treating tilda swinton so poorly and there was A LOT of creeping unease
and i did not know from the get go what to expect

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The Witch
The Wailing
The Blackcoat's Daughter
Spring

It's only vaguely horror but Resolution was pretty cool too

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Wizard Master posted:

I want this too but with the addendum that it's not just "edgy gore = horror" either

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

the first time i watched it i had no idea why everyone was treating tilda swinton so poorly and there was A LOT of creeping unease
and i did not know from the get go what to expect

I guess maybe it depends on how much one knows going in. But once we know the setup we more or less have a good idea where this is going. I think that just throwing dramas with disturbing premises into the horror genre broadens things too much and is probably moving away from what the OP is looking for because that film is not the sort of thing people typically associate with the horror movies. I think part of what makes horror movies horror movies is that they're usually far enough removed from reality to not disturb us the way something like We Need to Talk About Kevin, Room, or Compliance would. The genre provides a sort of relief because even if we're not consciously thinking it a part of us is going "Okay things in life are scary but at least they're not that scary. That's not to say that there aren't disturbing horror movies because obviously there are. But something like Kevin, Room, or Compliance is too grounded. This is probably going to cause a whole derail about what exactly horror is. I basically just want to put it out there that We Need To Talk About Kevin is more likely than not, something the OP isn't looking for in this case.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 13, 2021

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Carnival of Souls is a classic, but goodie

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Gonna second a few, but hopefully that reinforces how good they are. In no order:

Hereditary
The VVitch
The Innocents (1961)
The Haunting (1963)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Woman in Black (1989 BBC TV movie)
The Exorcist
The Exorcist 3 (wonky, but excellent mood and possibly the most masterful jump scare ever)
The Thing (a few jumps, but mostly paranoia)
Alien
Whistle and I'll Come to You (BBC short film)
The Others
Lake Mungo (Also 1 really masterful jump. Just got goosebumps thinking about it)
The Shining
A Tale of Two Sisters
Psycho
It Follows
The Devil's Backbone (more beautiful than scary)
Rosemary's Baby
It Comes At Night
Get Out
Les Diaboliques
Creep
The Omen (1976)
Perfect Blue (animation!)

And not horror, but Come and See hit HARD horror notes for me. Like, I'm-unnerved-and-want-to-leave-the-room hits.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

I guess maybe it depends on how much one knows going in. But once we know the setup we more or less have a good idea where this is going. I think that just throwing dramas with disturbing premises into the horror genre broadens things too much and is probably moving away from what the OP is looking for because that film is not the sort of thing people typically associate with the horror movies. I think part of what makes horror movies horror movies is that they're usually far enough removed from reality to not disturb us the way something like We Need to Talk About Kevin, Room, or Compliance would. The genre provides a sort of relief because even if we're not consciously thinking it a part of us is going "Okay things in life are scary but at least they're not that scary. That's not to say that there aren't disturbing horror movies because obviously there are. But something like Kevin, Room, or Compliance is too grounded. This is probably going to cause a whole derail about what exactly horror is. I basically just want to put it out there that We Need To Talk About Kevin is more likely than not, something the OP isn't looking for in this case.

so every home invasion horror movie is bunk now. just wipe out 1/4 of the genre right there

Pac and Cheese fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 13, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

so every home invasion horror movie is bunk now. just wipe out 1/4 of the genre right there

What do you consider a horror movie?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Das Boo posted:

Gonna second a few, but hopefully that reinforces how good they are. In no order:

And not horror, but Come and See hit HARD horror notes for me. Like, I'm-unnerved-and-want-to-leave-the-room hits.
Come and See is wild. Everyone should watch it. The whole thing is existential dread.

Good list except for Hereditary where the only time I was scared was the lizard wall jump scare. Loved Midsommer though.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

What do you consider a horror movie?

i even consider safde brothers movies to be horror movies. ask some other genre warrior

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

star trek is a low key horror series

filmed and edited like a sitcom

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

i even consider safde brothers movies to be horror movies. ask some other genre warrior

I can see the logic behind what you're saying but do you at least understand that the OP is probably looking for something more like a spooky ghost or scary murder man thing than something like Good Time?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

numberoneposter posted:

Come and See is wild. Everyone should watch it. The whole thing is existential dread.

Good list except for Hereditary where the only time I was scared was the lizard wall jump scare. Loved Midsommer though.

I love the whole car scene in Hereditary. It just captured emotional collapse so goddamn well. And Toni Collette's acting is superb. Plus, there's a scene straight out of a nightmare I've had so I had a visceral feeling towards it even if it doesn't sound like much. ( Charlie's head lulling forward, falling off and the ball rolling across the floor.)

I really loved the early and last scenes in Midsommar, but I never really felt like I got too close to Dani. I was expecting to kick around in her head more, but that's probably my bad for expecting the exploration of grief that was in Hereditary. I should watch it again.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

CPL593H posted:

I can see the logic behind what you're saying but do you at least understand that the OP is probably looking for something more like a spooky ghost or scary murder man thing than something like Good Time?

woopsie watching the sentinal rn

Pac and Cheese fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 13, 2021

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Das Boo posted:

The Innocents (1961)

This is a good one, keeps a good level of tension throughout the film.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
trip report: couldn't find it. wasn't scared. not horror

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Blob remake (1988)
Society (1989)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

super sweet best pal posted:

This is a good one, keeps a good level of tension throughout the film.

It's my favorite. :3:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
OP try a 1977 Australian film called The Last Wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Seconding Lake Mungo. The Poughkeepsie Tapes is also unsettling