Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Myths of Soviet tank building: early Great Patriotic War

Queue: Influence of the T-34 on German tank building, Medium Tank T25, Heavy Tank T26/T26E1/T26E3, Career of Harry Knox, GMC M36, Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf), Early Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, AN Teplokhod), Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War, Medium Tank T6, RPG-1, Lahti L-39, American tank building plans post-war, German tanks for 1946, HMC M7 Priest, GMC M12, GMC M40/M43, ISU-152, AMR 35 ZT, Soviet post-war tank building plans, T-100Y and SU-14-1, Object 430, Pz.Kpfw.35(t), T-60 tanks in combat, SU-76M modernizations, Panhard 178, 15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf), 43M Zrínyi, Medium Tank M46, Modernization of the M48 to the M60 standard, German tank building trends at the end of WW2, Pz.Kpfw.III/IV, E-50 and E-75 development, Pre-war and early war British tank building, BT-7M/A-8 trials, Jagdtiger suspension, Light Tank T37, Light Tank T41, T-26-6 (SU-26), Voroshilovets tractor trials, Israeli armour 1948–1982, T-64's composite armour

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career
T-55 underwater driving equipment
T-34 tanks with M-17 engines NEW

:godwin:
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles
Evolution of German tank observation devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Evolution of German tank observation devices

As in "Yep, that's a tank." ...?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

As in "Yep, that's a tank." ...?

Don't be too hasty. It might be a tank destroyer

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Poor freckles, thought of counter battery fire and died.

It occurs to me that one of our modern replacements for horses, the helicopter, is no less prone to self-inflicted destruction.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Poor freckles, thought of mast bump, vortex ring state, ground resonance vibration, dynamic rollover power lines and died.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
A random throught I had the other day that probably has no documented data associated with it.

Are there any recorded cases of people being killed by the machine gun fire bombers formations would put out during massed ww2 raids?

You'd have to be unlucky as hell but we hear cases of folks killed by celebratory gunfire every once in a while.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Abongination posted:

A random throught I had the other day that probably has no documented data associated with it.

Are there any recorded cases of people being killed by the machine gun fire bombers formations would put out during massed ww2 raids?

You'd have to be unlucky as hell but we hear cases of folks killed by celebratory gunfire every once in a while.

I assume you mean 'other than fighter pilots' :shobon:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Abongination posted:

Anecdotal but I remember reading about an excited little boy watching a dogfight in the Battle of Britain and his mother yelling at him to come inside while holding her apron over her head to deflect falling brass

Edit: any stats on civilian deaths to "friendly" flak fragments falling back down?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 13, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That's an interesting thought actually, must've been a bunch of metal falling. I suppose it'd be extremely widely distributed due to how high up it was fired from and the bombers basically firing in a 360x360deg bubble around them. Like a 50cal fired 20° "up" from the horizontal at an altitude of 15k ft is gonna come down something like three towns over.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AAA fragments, intact AAA UXO, bullets, casings, belt segments, debris from damaged aircraft…

There’s a reason Civil Defense issued helmets.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Those sheet metal light garden shelters too can certainly protect from that and worth hiding in when the sky is full of raining brass.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

By the time those rounds fall to earth they're almost certainly at their terminal velocity, which is going to be far slower than what they're fired at. Might still kill, but the chance of that I would imagine to be rather low until you get to cannon-sized rounds.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Terminal velocity presumably depends on how much the bullet/shell is tumbling, but in any case I would not want to be outside if it's literally raining metal. Stuff doesn't have to kill you to ruin your day.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A .50 cal bullet weighs approximately the same as a golf ball, and if someone was dropping boxes of golf balls from the sky I sure would seek shelter. But bullets will stumble all the way down which presumably will make it a lot slower. At least don't look up.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
one time we had a helicopter drop brass on us and one poor fucker got a casing between his helmet and body armor and wound up having to go back to Germany for a month due to a third degree burn on the back of his neck.

I feel like he should have gotten a purple heart for that, I dunno if he did

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

bewbies posted:

one time we had a helicopter drop brass on us and one poor fucker got a casing between his helmet and body armor and wound up having to go back to Germany for a month due to a third degree burn on the back of his neck.

Christ, that sucks.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

bewbies posted:

I am sensing a missed procurement opportunity for “combat umbrellas”!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I thought all fixed-wing aircraft from ww2 on caught their spent brass internally? Maybe that was only the in-wing guns in the fighters.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

bewbies posted:

Like that scene in Generation Kill where the helicopter rains brass on the humvee gunner.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Uncle Enzo posted:

I thought all fixed-wing aircraft from ww2 on caught their spent brass internally? Maybe that was only the in-wing guns in the fighters.

It varied, but was typically (especially in US service) the opposite. Most fixed wing guns dumped brass and links, most flexible guns (and turret guns) retained theirs.

Again, there are exceptions in every direction.

Related:

https://youtu.be/niJ82YCiuYU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Uncle Enzo posted:

Honest question, why would you want to keep the extra mass around?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

US bomber doctrine was to fly in tight formation for mutual defense. I imagine they wouldn't want a rain of expended brass falling through the formation.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

everydayfalls posted:

There was tremendous demand for copper during the war, and lots of shell casings (mostly naval but some small arms and heavier guns) ended up as pennies. And why give free brass to the Germans?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

everydayfalls posted:

If you are Germany, brass is precious and can easily be recycled.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Uncle Enzo posted:

In-wing guns were actually the mpst common to dump their brass...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also one needs to keep in mind what guns and what planes are or are not saving brass.

A bomber with a nose gun like the He-111 or the Ju-88 doesnt want loose brass up front, the nose guns on a 109 should retain brass, but the wing cannons of a 190 won't.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

everydayfalls posted:

Safely throwing things out of a moving airplane, so they don't hit other important parts of the plane, is actually a pretty challenging problem at WWII fighter speeds. It gets worse if you put high and unpredictable g-forces in the mix, like what might happen if a pilot is trying to line up their guns in a dogfight.

So, why would you want to deal with that stores separation problem if you don't have to?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Iirc there's also trim/balance issues with ejecting brass, though I think that might be limited to the A-10 due to the sheer amount & size of the ammo it's gun uses

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Taerkar posted:

By the time those rounds fall to earth they're almost certainly at their terminal velocity, which is going to be far slower than what they're fired at. Might still kill, but the chance of that I would imagine to be rather low until you get to cannon-sized rounds.

Terminal velocity's still pretty potent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Dog_(bomb)

bewbies posted:

My buddy at the range once had a .45 case eject back and lodge right between the right temple of his shooting glasses and the very corner of his eye.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Meant folks on the ground haha.

I think winds and tumble would indeed slow the bullets a bit. But it's still hundreds or thousands of 30 and 50 cal bullets falling over Europe.

In regards to flak, I've definitely read accounts of people injured by debris and recently went on a bit of a dive trying to find out the same thing regarding Israel's iron dome.

Found a statement saying that there has been minor property damage from it but no injuries due to people seeking shelter when the dome is in operation.

Who knows, lots of metal falling from the sky is never a good thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Abongination posted:

I think winds and tumble would indeed slow the bullets a bit.

Tumble would, but it's not always a safe assumption that there will be tumble, as there's very little angular drag to reduce the spin rate. If you fire at a near vertical angle the thing will naturally 'stall' and start to tumble at the top of the arc, but if they're shooting at a reduced angle (as I assume they would with large calibre AAA with many km's of range) that poo poo will still be stable when it eventually returns to earth. Even regular rifle bullets will still be in a stable spin at the bottom of their arc if fired >20 degrees off vertical I think.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 14, 2021

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Is it true that until very recently in history, soldiers often fought in wars because they were uneducated and were manipulated into fighting? Basically I'm looking for info on the psychology of young men from around the early 1900s and back. Like the 30 years war is a big one, it seems like some rulers had feuds and told the peasants to all fight and the peasants just went with it?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
What peasants? As far as I know, only the Swedes actually conscripted peasants, the rest of Europe fought the 30-Years-War with mercenaries.

Infamously, the Duke of Celle had a personal guard of less then 100 men left during this time, and trying to get more via calling his feudal levies would have ended with people laughing at him.

There's a reason everyone fought using mercenaries: Feudalism was dead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Got my grandfather to maybe; maaaaybe talk about Korea again.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Saying that the only reason people might want to fight is that they are uneducated and that they must have had to be manipulated/coerced is hella projection of modern mindsets into the past.

There's a very good reason to join up a campaign for most of history up till about the mid 19th century, and that is loot. A share of the plunder of a city, or ransom of a knight/soldier, etc, can be enough of a capital infusion to set you up for life, so you can go home, buy a plot of land and find a wife. Even the pay while you are on campaign is pretty good, if you actually get it at the end of a campaign- especially if subsistence farming on rented land or jobbing for day labour like most poor men would be. A primary driver of soldier recruitment is that promise, and that's why armies will often disintegrate or lose a bunch of strength on a defeat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Worth pointing out that in a broad range of historical societies, going off to fight was the chief hobby of the higher classes. Even in wars where most of the soldiers were "uneducated", this is in the context of societies where the vast majority of the population is uneducated.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

human garbage bag posted:

Is it true that until very recently in history, soldiers often fought in wars because they were uneducated and were manipulated into fighting? Basically I'm looking for info on the psychology of young men from around the early 1900s and back. Like the 30 years war is a big one, it seems like some rulers had feuds and told the peasants to all fight and the peasants just went with it?

Not even close. Well not exactly. Peasants generally speaking are not who you look to when you want to go war because they're not supposed to have a martial tradition and if they did that would be .. suspicious. From a feudal ruler perspective. You want young men who have high expectations for their living standard, but have yet to prove themselves, and come from a tradition that expects military service. These men will fight for honor, but also fight for money. There's a lot going on here and if you're looking for a comprehensive psychology of why young men join the army you're not going to find it easily.

And you're example of the 30yw is dead wrong. Soldiers in that time period were earning as much as skilled artisans were on a daily basis in addition to loot... if they were fighting in the right army. And the commander actually had cash on hand to pay them. On the other hand, rampant famine and breakdown of civil order meant that being part of a roving gang meant food was less of an issue and that's a big deal. You'd have to break down each army to find out why the individual men are fighting in it.

As to uneducated and manipulated that's a serious misrepresentation of life in this time period. It's not like that never happened, but it's not really at all a good way of looking at soldier life styles (or life in general) and the soldiers themselves might seriously disagree with it. Trust me, these guys expected to get paid for their service and if they weren't then you had drat well better prepare for what happens next. Once again, to use the 30yw as an example, the actual war could have ended in 1646, but dragged on for two more years due a breakdown in negotiations. The disagreement was over getting the money to discharge soldiers and it wasn't resolved until one side managed to loot multiple economic centers in Europe that the cash was on hand to actually disband armies of men who were angry over being owed back pay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Roughly D day

My Uncle Tom used to have tons of stories about flying B24s over Italy… but he literally was only alive when he got sick and his normal plane crashed. Then a few months later he had food poisoning and his plane craned.

It was seriously “If Tom Roemer is flying, do not get on that plane”

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 14, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also if you are looking into the motivations of young men fighting from 1800 to the early 1900's then the answer is often going to be 'I was conscripted'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Looking at little round top which is almost entirely some bullshit.