Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

My brother in law got me the first Starship's Mage book, and I blasted through it and the next two. I don't know why but it really hit for me. I plan on finishing out the series. There are some aspects where you can 100% call what is going to happen, but it seems fun enough to keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Just read Light by M. John Harrison. A bit like The Fifth Head of Cerberus in being three novellas with connections to each other, although there's more of a through-line. Like Fifth Head, it suffered from me liking one story (the spaceship adventure) more than the other two. Found it hard to read for some reason, though I can't identify anything wrong with the writing, but the whole book ended on a triumphant note. Don't know if I'll pick up the sequels.

(A user review describes it as "a Gigeresque indigestible fusion of Robert Rankin with JG Ballard")

FPyat fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 12, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

darkgray posted:

Hi guys, my Kindle recommended this exciting book to me, and I was wondering if anyone happened to have read it and could tell me if it's as good as the blurb says.

“Very well, levels are straight forward. Every level grants you five stat points. Each stat point used will grant you one percent increase to your base stats. This is linear, not exponential, therefore ten stat points in strength, for example, will give you ten percent more strength than someone with base stats. You are currently level zero, unless you have killed something since entering, however I doubt that seeing as you arrived here relatively clean, and naked...” the Grand Elder paused as he said this, looking up and down Jack. “To unlock access to your ‘systems’ as we call it, you will have to reach level one, and wait a full day since your arrival. This is believed to allow the body time to adjust to the energy of the environment. This has been determined to be Mana. You should notice six primary stats that you can enter your stat points into. Constitution, Strength, Agility, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Luck. Each stat offers a slew of bonuses, and they tend to interact in different ways, however the basics are, Constitution makes you hardier, take more hits, more resilient to illness, etc. Strength makes you stronger, hit harder, carry more, etc. Agility makes you move faster, with some other minor benefits. Intellect makes you smarter, increases magic damage, and increases the amount of mana you can hold within your body.”

Jack’s eyes grew wide at this, he was TOTALLY going to be throwing fireballs around in no time! All of his stats were going into this for sure!

i skimmed the free sample but even if you read this kind of thing there are better examples for free, even if you insist on protagonists named jack

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Those two really do go together as almost sort of a set. Both are to a greater or lesser degree the story of the progress of a Saint. That's rare in literature. As a third I'd suggest Lord of Light which shares themes with the other two. Fourth... okay, I like the Paksennarion saga, but I wouldn't put them in with the first three.

Anyone else have a book that fits the themes ?

Kind of tangential but still related is The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Sci-fi instead of fantasy, but very heavy on themes of guilt/martyrdom/faith. Also just a loving awesome book in general.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Are there any light and punny fantasy series that aren't written by a sex pest?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gnoman posted:

I don't recall hearing anything about Robert Asprin being horrible, but I'm prepared to find out I'm wrong.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Discworld.

The caverns and creatures series by Robert Bevan has the plot depth of an instruction manual but it is hilarious in a frat bro kinda way. It's litrpg fantasy if that matters.

Eli Monpress was a good series. Not really a pun tastic one but definitely on the light side.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Seconding Asprin. His stuff is light and fun, and he doesn't appear to be any kind of awful.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Never heard anything bad about Tom Holt either. (Except for being better as KJ Parker.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Silly Newbie posted:

Seconding Asprin. His stuff is light and fun, and he doesn't appear to be any kind of awful.

There’s a fair amount of casual sexism in the Myth books (nothing unusual for the era, but worth a warning if someone’s looking for light and fun.)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Silly Newbie posted:

Went to wiki to double-check and found only:

quote:

Due to a series of personal and financial problems, Asprin published little during the 1990s, although he had two books on The New York Times Best Seller list, which piqued the interest of fans and the Internal Revenue Service.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Gnoman posted:

the previously mentioned the palace job and its two sequels are heist novels (think oceans 11) written by a dragon age author that are easily enough consumed

the last one maybe crosses the line to be a bit too "epic" to be as fun as the other two

mewse
May 2, 2006

Just finished reading One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence last night.

I'm familiar with Lawrence because of his epic fantasy (broken empire trilogy, red queen's war trilogy) - this seems to be the book where he tries to out-Cline Ernest Cline. It's 1986 and a gang of D&D playing misfits has a *gasp* GIRL join their group (is this the plot of stranger things?)

I was convinced to read it because Robin Hobb said she'd give it 6/5 stars if she could and GRRM said "I enjoyed the hell out of One Word Kill".

I didn't like it that much.

I'm starting to think I have an unusually adverse reaction to when quantum mechanics is brought in to hand-wave things about a story, because I absolutely hated Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. This book does something similar with alternate worlds / time travel / quantum physics. When it feels like the book is spending more time trying to explain how the time travel plot device works than actually moving the plot forward, I start to get upset.

Also the girl character in this felt very Manic Pixie Dream Girl. She falls for a guy with leukemia who recently started chemo because he's got big brain and knows quantum mechanics good. Male fantasy.

I'm going to read the rest of the trilogy because it was short enough and not total garbage, but I prefer Lawrence's fantasy novels. 2.5/5

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gnoman posted:

I liked the greatcoats series which sort of emulates the tone of the three musketeers (ie. a romp)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Craig Shaw Gardner's Ebneezum/Wuntvor books are pretty good, and aged decently. The only problematic character in them is the creepy obsessive unicorn.

Asprin: vaguely recall something from the SFL Archives about Robert Asprin being the founder or the commander of a freelance volunteer security-guard group for SFF convention's that got gropey & "Dennis Reynolds from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia implications.txt" toward female SFF fans.
That Asprin founded volunteer security-guard group went by the names of the Dorsai Irregulars and the Klingon Diplomatic Corps.

https://youtu.be/DJ3hc8pJelk

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 13, 2021

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't recall hearing anything about Robert Asprin being horrible, but I'm prepared to find out I'm wrong.

He absolutely cheated the IRS and got busted, and he certainly looked like a sexpest in 1995ish at DragonCon*, but I never heard anything more.

*Not that he would have been top 10 sexpest at DragonCon even if you restricted it to the founders only.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I remember when I found that out, and it really recontextualized the scene in one of the Myth Adventures books where an important character goes on a nearly-unprompted rant about how it's every citizen's right, nay, duty to cheat the IRS as much as possible.

Anyways, I quite like the series for the way it progresses from a kind of nearly-episodic cheap fantasy to actual character development and such, although it takes a deep dive around the time (or just before) Jody Lynn Nye started helping. (Which, as I understand it, was also because of the tax dodging)

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I think I read about 9 Myth books in grade 6 before the main character became too much of a dick for me to want to keep following those characters

I don’t remember much else tbh, just that lingering bad taste of disappointment

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve spent months frantically reading to catch up with this thread, and the (surprise-new-author - not- murderbot) winners are Brothers Grossbart, Gunmetal Gods, and Theory of Bastards.

It’s really astonishing how much great writing is out there, both Gunmetal Gods and Theory of Bastards are on KU:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

quantumfoam posted:

Asprin: vaguely recall something from the SFL Archives about Robert Asprin being the founder or the commander of a freelance volunteer security-guard group for SFF convention's that got gropey & "Dennis Reynolds from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia implications.txt" toward female SFF fans.
That Asprin founded volunteer security-guard group went by the names of the Dorsai Irregulars and the Klingon Diplomatic Corps.

See? I was entirely prepared for this.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

John Lee posted:

I remember when I found that out, and it really recontextualized the scene in one of the Myth Adventures books where an important character goes on a nearly-unprompted rant about how it's every citizen's right, nay, duty to cheat the IRS as much as possible.

lol, it's not mycrimes.txt but "My Crimes - A Novel"

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

fancyclopedia3 content is either highly sanitized stubs or landmines of "how was this ok in any context?" WTF.
cough
https://fancyclopedia.org/Secret_Handgrip_of_Fandom
cough

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

fancyclopedia3 content is either highly sanitized stubs or landmines of "how was this ok in any context?" WTF.
cough
https://fancyclopedia.org/Secret_Handgrip_of_Fandom
cough

that link posted:

We can tell you that it originated with Patia von Sternberg,

her entry posted:

https://fancyclopedia.org/Patia_von_Sternberg

With goh Robert A. Heinlein at the front of the audience, Patia stripped down to her g-string and pasties, to the tune of Joan Baez's rendition of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." Then she tossed her brassiere at Heinlein.

Heinlein's wife, Virginia, was sitting next to him, along with Heinlein's brother, Lawrence, a brigadier general in the National Guard, who was in full dress uniform. Virginia took Patia's bra and put it across Heinlein's shoulders, so that he could match his brother with epaulets.

The performance did not find favor with some fans who had young children along, even though partial nudity was fairly common at Worldcon masquerades in those days, perhaps because the masquerade judges hadn't finished deliberating by the time Patia had finished stripping, so she went on dancing in the almost altogether for another 20 minutes.

"At the end of the GoH banquet the next day, Heinlein brought out his "epaulets," draped them over his shoulders, and stood at attention facing the audience. He then asked for Patia; when she wasn't in the audience, he asked if anyone could find her or knew her well enough to give them back to her. "She may need them at a later time," he said."

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Princess Bride by William Goldman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IEJZRY/

Equal Rites (Discworld #3) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W9393Y/

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MZN2B2/

The Burning God (Poppy War #3) by RF Kuang - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VP8KNB/

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Stuporstar posted:

I think I read about 9 Myth books in grade 6 before the main character became too much of a dick for me to want to keep following those characters

I don’t remember much else tbh, just that lingering bad taste of disappointment

In fairness that's part of the character development, and it gets addressed and rectified shortly after when he calls an official meeting with all his coworkers, where he says he's been meaninglessly profit-seeking for a while now and treating people he started off friends with as employees and independent contractors instead of, you know, friends, and that he's reincorporating the company as an equal-shares venture

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jedit posted:

Book 1 is setup, and you do eventually get to find out why the shift, but it's a fairly straightforward story overall. Still I don't think you'd be wasting your time with it.

The series is entertaining enough to be worth a read. It was good enough to make his mark in alt-history.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Archives 1996 continues to deliver.

====
Subject: Re: The B5 Gay Bath House (Grey 17 is Missing *something*)

someone someone <someone*somewhere> wrote:
>Jeremiah is the wizened leader of a beefcake cult, wearing gloves with cut
>out fingers, an international gay symbol for things done with the fist.

Did you notice he initially was not wearing gloves ("consider...the
palm..."), but must have put them on sometime mid-sermon? Obviously this
is significant.

>There are no females living here, just hunks seeking perfection.

No, no. There *were* females, but they all found perfection already. At
least that's what they told Jeremiah, as they made there way toward the
pressure doors with blowtorches stuffed in their knapsacks.
====

Normally I'd include the entire SFL Archives discussion thread on this for context, however now that means redacting & keeping track of who the redacted id's were for clarity of who is responding to who, and that's just too much effort for internet posts that have been available online unexpurgated for 20+yrs.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

John Lee posted:

In fairness that's part of the character development, and it gets addressed and rectified shortly after when he calls an official meeting with all his coworkers, where he says he's been meaninglessly profit-seeking for a while now and treating people he started off friends with as employees and independent contractors instead of, you know, friends, and that he's reincorporating the company as an equal-shares venture

I can’t remember if I got that far, but adult me would probably have a lot more patience for that payoff than 11 yo me did

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bear Sleuth posted:

I'm not a fan of modern fantasy or grimdark but hum-doggy Blacktongue Thief is a hoot. Love Kinch's voice and Buehlman himself narrates for the audiobook in a wonderful accent, silky smooth and crisp at the edges. It's a riot, so much fun. Thanks for the rec, thread.

I picked this up on Audible and it's really good. However you certainly weren't kidding with the accent, my stupid American ears has trouble understanding him sometimes, thought not enough to bother me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Melissa Scott did a short interview: Author Melissa Scott on the 2021 #PrideStoryBundle of Queer SF/F

quote:

Can you tell us about the book you have in this StoryBundle?

Pilot and amateur game-creator Quinn Lioe comes to the planet Burning Bright, an independent world built on trade between the human Republic and the alien empire of the Hsaioi-An. It’s also a hub of the Game, and Lioe is delighted when she’s able to cut a deal to run one of her sessions at a high-level house. But she inadvertently gets involved with an ex-Gamer-turned-artist who is himself deeply enmeshed in local and off-world politics, and finds herself trapped in that new and deadly game. Burning Bright is about the intersection of art and politics, and the many prices one can pay for power.

What do you find engaging or important about writing LGBTQ+/queer fiction?

First, of course, there’s the simple pleasure of writing about my own culture, of creating stories about people who are something like me (though, of course, this being fiction, they’re generally bolder and braver and more dangerous than I usually manage to be). One of the nicest things about the way the field has evolved over the years is that I no longer need to say “I’m writing the books that I wanted to read but couldn’t find” — there is so much good queer fiction out there now.

Second, though, and perhaps more importantly, I think that queer culture is itself a unique and valuable world, full of stories that everyone can enjoy. We are shapeshifters, mask-wearers, flaunting and stealthy, quarrelsome and fiercely protective of each other; we find family in the most unlikely places, and the bonds we invent are as strong as any ties of blood. Of course there are stories there.

What other books or stories do you have out that readers of this StoryBundle might enjoy?

If you like Burning Bright, I think you would like Finders, a story of a team of salvage operators — a m/m/f threesome — who get more than they bargained for when they claim a piece of an Ancestral orbital palace. If you’re more of a fantasy reader, you might like Water Horse, just out from Candlemark & Gleam. It’s the story of the queer king of a beleaguered kingdom, trying to twist free of the prophecies that say he will destroy his own kingdom.

And wait, what, I missed this - a new book from her! Water Horse sounds fun!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
She is OG

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I was also poking around the Candlemark & Gleam website and whoa, this sounds cool:

https://www.candlemarkandgleam.com/shop/drakon/?doing_wp_cron=1623678022.1371679306030273437500

quote:

Drakon

The year is 1880. A hundred years ago, the dragons abandoned Russia and defected to Turkey. Ever since, the Tarasov family has held the Russian border. Now, as war looms in the south and the century-old mystery of the Defection cracks open, the Tarasovs must face their family’s old sins and put aside their differences…or watch Russia fall.

Drakon is best described as “Game of Thrones Meets War and Peace”; it received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist, and Booklist included it in its “SFF Best of 2017” list.

Read if you like: Steampunk, dragons, Gatling guns, lesbians, language mysteries, espionage, family drama

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was also poking around the Candlemark & Gleam website and whoa, this sounds cool:

https://www.candlemarkandgleam.com/shop/drakon/?doing_wp_cron=1623678022.1371679306030273437500

I'm not normally into dragon fantasy but this sounds interesting enough for my wishlist.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So yeah, if anyone was looking at the Zero G series cowritten by William Shatner and Jeff Rovin, don't.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Blacktongue Thief rocked. Binged it over a roadtrip this weekend. Can recommend, with a minor CW at the beginning of the novel for cat violence.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 14, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Decided to press on with Parker's Fencer trilogy despite the first book not totally wow-ing me. These books don't need to be as long as they are, I feel, but it does give Parker plenty of space to talk about how exactly to cut down a tree and the ways in which certain types of architecture subtly communicate power to observers, etc. etc. He really calmed way down with scene description in his later books.

The magic system is both a cool addition and rare to see in Parker, but also maddening because it so vague and characters keep falling asleep and getting visions of the future or possible pasts and its hard to tell what it all means. I hear this book ends with a big twist so I'm looking forward to seeing how things trundle towards that.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If anyone else is a Hugo voter, the voter packet is out.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

So yeah, if anyone was looking at the Zero G series cowritten by William Shatner and Jeff Rovin, don't.

Jeff Rovin is still alive and writing? Geez.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I'm reading the doors of eden by tchaikovsy, 44% through. Very disappointing so far. I was expecting something interesting exploring different civilizations, like Stapledon's first and last men. The reality is a Dan brown like thriller about secret conspiracies.

Not to mention the endless pop culture references, maybe they shouldn't bother me, but I can't help it. they are so unnecessary.

Overall a massive step down from children of time. Hopefully the second half improves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea #1) by Ursula K Le Guin - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008T9L6AM