Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Yes I've been on the tube in London.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

yes

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I remember this one insane guy that pre-emptively made a massive texture overhaul nude mod for it from a demo because he was sure it was going to be the next huge game that people would play for decades to.come and then once the game actually came.out he just quietly took it down

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This modder also took the big Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines fan patch, added nude skins to it, then claimed to be the sole true author of the unofficial patch and joined every modding forum on the internet to decry the other guy evidence.zip style

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

I remember this one insane guy that pre-emptively made a massive texture overhaul nude mod for it from a demo because he was sure it was going to be the next huge game that people would play for decades to.come and then once the game actually came.out he just quietly took it down

i mean it was hyped up as that, people bought lifetime subscriptions for it before it was even released

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859510

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
i don't have to remember it op, thanks to a revolving door of korean mmo publishers it never left us

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I do remember. that’s two games I’m remembering now

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

GorfZaplen posted:

This modder also took the big Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines fan patch, added nude skins to it, then claimed to be the sole true author of the unofficial patch and joined every modding forum on the internet to decry the other guy evidence.zip style

lmao

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Kins posted:

i don't have to remember it op, thanks to a revolving door of korean mmo publishers it never left us

Now I don't have to regret never playing this because Zero Punctuation gave it a bad review

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

lmao

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I found the guy's website, and it's still up.

http://www.tessmage.com/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tess is enjoyably insane and I'm glad to see he's still going.

Speaking of vintage insane internet people, Ian Miles Cheong ran a Hellgate London fan website (Hellgate Guru) back in the day lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Speaking of vintage insane internet people, Ian Miles Cheong ran a Hellgate London fan website (Hellgate Guru) back in the day lol

lmfao now that's a choice remember when

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sort of

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

GorfZaplen posted:

absolutely lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Badass pmfao.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Some guy on these forums bought a several hundred dollar lifetime pass as well. gizm or something from old YCS.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wingate Fundon

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

The Kins posted:

I bought this to

and unfortunately it has a crippling bug where enemy corpses never despawn, eventually one glitches into a wall and causes like thousands of collision calls per frame (or something like that) and causes the framerate to go into fractions per second

wonder if they ever fixed that...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

smdh that nobody else remembers the game that finally dethroned diablo 2

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

didnt they remake this game out of nowhere a few years ago

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff posted:

I think it would be possible that you are the one person on earth who would of heard of that or even played it before it quickly got taken offline or some similar situation.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

This game had a hilarious ricochet build at launch where hitting enemies caused ricochet, which were attracted to enemies, which caused more ricochet, etc. You specced into increasing the chances of these things, and the damage of the bullet after every bounce.

In practice it became a case of shooting just one enemy was difficult, and you could really see it because you didn't see bullets bouncing off every surface. But when 2+ enemies were close together you got the machine going, and bounces made bounces which made bounces, and everywhere on the screen these wild rear end ricochets would bloom to the point of big framerate hits.

It owned, and I've never seen another game go so wild on "X feeds into Y, which feeds into X again" talent philosophy, which even Borderlands pussies out on.

I mean, I don't think these Hellgate guys intended it. They nerfed it finally, but very long after launch because they were putting out crash fires. I think I had already churned by the time I read they fixed it.

Anyway that's my Hellgate story. My manager also bought the 150 lifetime pass and we mocked him even before the game came out. Afterwards he refused to talk about it lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That sounds cool.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I was a Diablo 2 superfan so I followed Hellgate closely when it came out. They had a weird two-class model where you'd buy the game for relatively cheap and could play the story mode and normal multiplayer like co-op, but you could also by a "Platinum member" or sth with a monthly sub or lifetime pass, and those got special bonuses like

uh

hold on

Anyway the idea of paying monthly for a game was insane to me back then (and I still don't), so this is just what I read in forums: they knew the game was super buggy, like half the skills of a certain class plain didn't work, making the coolest one with twin swords disgustingly useless, and other stuff was super OP like a joke weapon giving armor bonus, but so big that the Engineer class' drone was completely untouchable with it. But the devs couldn't devote time to fixing this obvious stuff, because they had to keep churning out content to make the Plat users feel like subbing for another month was worth it, or rather not bitch if they had the lifetime pass.

So every month they made a super half-assed endgame superboss, but because they didn't fix the OTHER issues, players instantly creamed them with broken builds and immediately screamed to fix THOSE bosses to not be boring and poo poo, so they devs just went into a death spiral of more and more issues, hemorrhaging subscribers until the servers were mercy-killed.

The ricochet build sure okay mentioned was one such broken issue with the endgame content, because those were all huge-rear end boss monster models, and the bullets could ricochet inside the enemy model, so the bigger the enemy, the more hilariously quickly it exploded. There was no reason to play anything but the sniper class, basically. great poo poo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i remember

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

extremebuff posted:

they made a comically bad vr thing using the assets at some point

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I remember Haze

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I remember Haze

not for long

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I remember Haze

what’s a “Haze”?

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
a friend who lived down the block alpha'd me into buying a copy to play with him. we started together and played for 2 days before i lost interest. within a few months he said he could start a smurf character to play alongside me if i got interested as he was approaching the upper ranks of the game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kins posted:

they made a comically bad vr thing using the assets at some point

can't believe they would rip off the opposing force intro like that

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

just remembered that the game has guns that shoot burning or acid bees

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

i remember hellgate: london. i remember richard garriot's tabula rasa. i remember auto assault. i remember wildstar. i remember firefall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

i remember hellgate: london. i remember richard garriot's tabula rasa. i remember auto assault. i remember wildstar. i remember firefall.

all these games will be lost in time, like tears in David Cage’s Heavy Rain. time to die